Windows 10 security software

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dave1054

Windows 10 security software

Post by dave1054 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Anyone have any good or bad experience with windows defender, the security package that comes with windows 10? Do u feel comfortable with online banking and trading with defender?
If I choose to purchase another internet antivirus package, does defender need to be turned off? Any antivirus/internet security software recommendation? Thanks.

nordsteve

Re: Windows 10 security software

Post by nordsteve » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:47 pm

I've only used Defender for the last several years. No issues here.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:54 pm

nordsteve wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:47 pm
I've only used Defender for the last several years. No issues here.
+1

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Another vote for Windows Defender. That is all I have as well. No issues.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 pm

defender and stay away from the nasty sites.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Don't click links in fake emails or view adult websites. Then you will never get a virus.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 am

dave1054 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 pm
Anyone have any good or bad experience with windows defender, the security package that comes with windows 10? Do u feel comfortable with online banking and trading with defender?
If I choose to purchase another internet antivirus package, does defender need to be turned off? Any antivirus/internet security software recommendation? Thanks.
If you use another anti-virus like Avast, Windows Defender will automatically turn itself off, so you don't need to worry about it. However, I agree with other posters that Defender plus safe browsing is more than sufficient. The threats today are typically not viruses but pfishing emails (e.g., allegedly from your bank) where anti-virus will not help you much.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:33 am

I have not had any issues with Windows Defender; seems to be very good.

It works really well for me as does Windows 10 Home edition.
I really like Windows 10; this comes from a confirmed Apple products user....surprised??

I have a Surface Pro 4 and it works very, very well.

Microsoft has come a long, long way from Windows 95!
I give Satya Nadella a lot of credit for turning the big ship around.
Lately, Apple seems to have kinda stumbled.

But, to get back to Windows Defender, it works well.

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:40 am

I use both Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am

oldzey wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:40 am
+1

I also have adopted this recommendation, https://thewirecutter.com/blog/best-antivirus/, Defender + Malewarebytes. They do complement each other and don't conflict or slow down my system.

bryanm

Post by bryanm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:32 am

Agreed that Defender is probably good enough. I use Bitdefender (no relation to Windows defender), but only because I've been known to frequent the seedier side of the net.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:22 am

dave1054 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 pm
I use other paid security packages for Windows 10. Currently I am using BitDefender antivirus, SpyShelter Firewall, and AppGuard. This provides me with more security than simply using Windows 10 Defender.

Having said that, I use my Windows machine for email, surfing the web, and purchases. I don't believe any Windows machine should be used for online banking. For online banking I use a chromebook that is only used for online banking. I use LastPass and two factor authentication via a Yubikey. I have installed about five security extensions on the browser and have tightened the machine for security and particularly privacy in the settings options - after all this is a Google product.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Defender has me running OK so far. I make a weekly data backup I keep offline so there's not much harm anybody can do to me, at a macro level. It would take time, but I can reinstall the operating system from scratch, wait for all the updates to download, set up defender, then copy my backed-up files onto the internal drive.

I'm afraid I did shock a Staples sales employee by saying I don't need to spend $99 on an antivirus package, because Windows 10 has built-in malware protection. I let him off the hook by acknowledging his boss must have told him to sell it, and noted I do what my boss tells me, too. There's no reason for a person in a line retail position to be blamed for such a thing.

PJW

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:21 pm

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes free version.

Post by 123 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Windows Defender has been working fine in our home for years. One thing we have done is establish multiple user-ids on our system. For normal day-to-day use we use an username with regular privileges without even a password. We have separate password-protected user-ids with administrator privileges that we seldom have reason to use. People run into problems when they use a default set-up with administrator privileges all the time.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:50 pm

squirm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 pm
Good computing hygiene is probably the number one defense against malware and viruses. I have been running with Windows Defender for a few years and periodically do a malware scan with Malwarebytes.

If I am doing more "exploratory" browsing where there is a chance I might hit a site with malware I use a virtual machine.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

squirm

Post by squirm » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:59 pm

jebmke wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:50 pm
squirm wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 pm
Good computing hygiene is probably the number one defense against malware and viruses. I have been running with Windows Defender for a few years and periodically do a malware scan with Malwarebytes.

If I am doing more "exploratory" browsing where there is a chance I might hit a site with malware I use a virtual machine.
Good idea about the virtual machine and malwarebytes

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 am

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on one of our machines, McAfee and Malwarebytes on the other. Both Windows 10. No issues on either with long-term use. Both are free (ISP gives McAfee). Both machines are relatively beefy, and I can't detect any performance issues on either computer. I've yet to get any of the bad stuff, and only one false positive with Malwarebytes.

Defender also has controlled folder access now, to protect against ransomware. Seems like a nice feature.

Like others have been saying, all the other stuff you do is just as important for general security - keeping software updated, good web-surfing habits, strong passwords, 2FA, offline backups, real-time backups, blocking (ads, popups, etc.), and more.

Best, in general, not to run both Defender and most other security packages side-by-side. But Windows Defender will generally (at least under Windows 10), turn off if it detects another 3rd party program. Malwarebytes plays nice, at least in my experience, running with Defender and other packages (both free and premium MWB versions).

midareff

Post by midareff » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:41 am

oldzey wrote:
+1 and never a problem with the tandem. Both run on startup.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:59 pm

oldzey wrote:
As do I. I think it is an excellent combination. It approaches security from two independent directions. (Orthogonal security?)

Both are continuously updating their security databases.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:13 pm

DetroitRick wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 am
I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on one of our machines, McAfee and Malwarebytes on the other. Both Windows 10. No issues on either with long-term use. Both are free (ISP gives McAfee). Both machines are relatively beefy, and I can't detect any performance issues on either computer. I've yet to get any of the bad stuff, and only one false positive with Malwarebytes.

Defender also has controlled folder access now, to protect against ransomware. Seems like a nice feature.

Like others have been saying, all the other stuff you do is just as important for general security - keeping software updated, good web-surfing habits, strong passwords, 2FA, offline backups, real-time backups, blocking (ads, popups, etc.), and more.

Best, in general, not to run both Defender and most other security packages side-by-side. But Windows Defender will generally (at least under Windows 10), turn off if it detects another 3rd party program. Malwarebytes plays nice, at least in my experience, running with Defender and other packages (both free and premium MWB versions).
What is "controlled folder access" from Defender?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:13 pm
Good question! I did not know about this. Apparently it is off by default. I turned it on to see what happens!

Googling it gets a lot of places telling you how to turn it on and off. That's not too hard to figure out without any help.

Discussions of how it works are a little thing on the ground. Mostly they tell you it is good for you because it protects you from the baddies. Here is one that goes just a hair further:
  • ... If [an] app is determined to be malicious or suspicious, then it will not be allowed to make changes to any files in any protected folder.
My question, why is such an app allowed to run at all? I thought preventing that was already the default behavior of Windows Defender.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:36 pm

It's a Windows 10 feature that, when turned on, prevents ransomware from encrypting your data and limits programs' ability to change files. I'm still playing with it myself, as it needs to be tweaked to your individual use case. But it seems like a decent tool to me.

Here's a decent explanatory link, but you basically turn the feature on, identify the folders that you want protected, and (if needed) allow any automatically blocked apps to access needed folders:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enab ... ors-update

When I tried it, it seemed easy enough to use. But I've got to do some tweaking, so I got lazy and shut it off again :oops: ... on my list....

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:41 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Good question! I did not know about this. Apparently it is off by default. I turned it on to see what happens!

Googling it gets a lot of places telling you how to turn it on and off. That's not too hard to figure out without any help.

Discussions of how it works are a little thing on the ground. Mostly they tell you it is good for you because it protects you from the baddies. Here is one that goes just a hair further:
  • ... If [an] app is determined to be malicious or suspicious, then it will not be allowed to make changes to any files in any protected folder.
My question, why is such an app allowed to run at all? I thought preventing that was already the default behavior of Windows Defender.
Yeah, why isn't this the "default"/automatic, perhaps with an opportunity "allow"/"disallow" in case person wants to do something that is mis-recognized by Defender?

And yeah, what *does* Defender do, if not this?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:43 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
DetroitRick wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:32 am

Thanks.

RM
Sorry, hit the wrong button on responding. Meant to reply directly, and that info appears two posts above. As to your follow-up question (and not to be a Windows defender, pun intended), the default-on question, I suppose a few possible reasons. Controlled folder access doesn't preclude ransomware totally anyway, just protects designated folders. So it's, hopefully, a second line of defense where a ransomware program first gets by basic Windows Defender detection. Then you have the individual tweaking issues - some users won't have the inclination to customize their folder selection and unblocking their legitimate apps on occasion. Or maybe the feature is (relatively) new, late 2017/early 2018 depending on edition updates. Either way, it still sounds like a decent tool to me. Plus Defender itself has improved it's overall detection abilities (av-test.org) since the pre-Windows 8 days.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:47 pm

elcadarj wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am
oldzey wrote:
+1

I also have adopted this recommendation, https://thewirecutter.com/blog/best-antivirus/, Defender + Malewarebytes. They do complement each other and don't conflict or slow down my system.
+3
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

Quercus Palustris

Post by Quercus Palustris » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Recently set up a laptop for FIL. I don't like being "tech support", so dropped the $$ on a 3 year license for ESET. It's got great performance, perennially scores high in the Virus Bulletin comparison tests, plus I guess I'm a bit swayed having met the founders a long time back.

I think if you're even a little savvy about email attachments, dubious links, and scams, you'd be fine with the free MS products.

If I can offer a un-recommendation, no one who knows what they're doing chooses McAfee / Symantec unless it's forced on then by their company, or their scare-ware comes pre-installed on your computer. I love 'murica, but our security software is slop compared to what the euros make. /rant off

scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:20 am

Once in a while, when I download a legit update to an app, it won't install because I have Controlled Folder Access turned on. I then turn it off temporarily, do the download/install, then turn it back on. It's a minor nuisance, but because I so rarely have to do the off/on thing, I feel this protection is worth it (like a credit thaw/freeze). I get alerts from time to time telling me that Controlled Folder Access prevented something from changing an app. Not sure it was necessarily malware, but I find it reassuring that this feature is there.

hudson

Post by hudson » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:44 am

elcadarj wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am
oldzey wrote:
+1

Me too. Several of the Info Tech guys that I used to work with recommended both. I've been running both for over 5 years and plan to continue.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 am

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes Free. Zero issues after many years. And yes, be careful out there.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:08 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
What happened is it complained about Quicken (qw.exe) when downloading transactions using One Step Update. Quicken, and One Step Update, seemed to run OK anyway but I went into Protected Folders settings and set it to allow qw.exe free access.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:09 am

Are you able to scan an individual file for a virus using Defender? Like, right click on a file and request Defender scan it?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am

Incendiary wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:09 am
Are you able to scan an individual file for a virus using Defender? Like, right click on a file and request Defender scan it?
Yes.

You can also choose to scan with MalwareBytes.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:20 am

bertilak wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:11 am
Incendiary wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:09 am
Yes.

You can also choose to scan with MalwareBytes.
Knew that about Malwarebytes, but wasn't sure about Defender. Thanks!