Repair Bosch Dishwasher or Buy New?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Repair Bosch Dishwasher or Buy New?

Post by SC Anteater »

Have an 8 year old Bosch dishwasher and it appears the heating element (or the heating relays) has died; water is totally cold when running, stuff on top rack isn't getting clean and stuff isn't dry (not just plastics, which it never dried).

The question is -- repair, or replace? I figure the repair will be at least $250 or possibly $300. Part alone is around $160. Do I sink that much money into an 8 year old dishwasher? Will I get another 8 years out of it?

If I replace, I've seen a lot of negative reviews on current Bosch dishwashers -- have they gone cheap? What other brand should I look at? Quietness is of highest importance. I don't mind cleaning off the dishes before I put them in.
baconavocado

Re: Repair Bosch Dishwasher or Buy New?

Post by baconavocado »

I can't advise on the repair, but we have a 15-y old Bosch (I think it's an SHU99xx . . . ) that runs like a champ. No problems since it was installed except one time when a piece of paper clogged the discharge hose.

Good luck.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

we have an 8 year old Bosch and replaced the motherboard about 18 months ago. Well worth it to us since a new one costs a whole lot more.
Bogle7

Replace

Post by Bogle7 »

Our [$1000] Bosch dishwasher died at 6-1/2 years old.
We figured the repair would be be $500.
We went shopping (looked at Bosch and Miele] and bought a Miele for $1700 (inc tax, installation).
We are happy. Very quiet and seems to clean better than the Bosch, but I lack statistical data.
Really like the 3rd upper rack for flatware and utensils.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.

Post by 123 »

If you've had 8 years of use I'd say you're in the replacement band. We had a high-end KitchenAid that developed a leak at age 8 so we replaced it with a similar KitchenAid model. Sure you could get it repaired and you might get lucky with many years of use but mostly likely not. And fixing one thing is no guarantee that another part won't fail. It would really irk me if I was faced with a second $250+ repair on an 8+ year old dishwasher. And there are no inexpensive dishwasher repairs if you have to use a repair service. I'm sure a repair service just coming out to the house is going to be a charge of $100++ in most areas. Parts from a service guy are likely to be higher as well since you have little choice.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
hoeboe

Post by hoeboe »

Are you in any way handy with a soldering iron? I have a similar vintage Bosch dishwasher with similar (same problem?) symptoms. It would also run a cycle for much longer than normal, never getting clean. Cleaned everything, checked all filters and pump. I had given up and was about to pull the trigger on a new one.

I checked online and turns out this is a somewhat common problem with many Bosch resulting from a bad solder joint on the back of a relay on the control board. Youtube videos document how to fix it. A few screws takes off the front panel, control board pops out, 30 seconds with a soldering iron, reassemble. Works good as new.

Took me about 30min. When you remove the control board, the failure will be obvious. If not, you've only wasted 20min taking it apart. If you don't own a soldering iron, you can take it apart, see if there it has this problem. If so, buy a $10 soldering iron. If not, buy a new $1000 dishwasher!
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Mine is approx 18 or 20 years old, exact same problem/symptoms as hoeboe saw.

Relay for the heating element on the control board had some cracked solder joints. I fixed it twice. Now that you mention it, my dishwasher is probably due for another "fix". It is a design error in my opinion -- pins on the relay expand and contract do to heating, and the relay is mounted flush to the board. Thermal expansion & contraction result in mechanical stresses that result in cracked solder joint eventually.

Hoeboe must be a better man than I am. Took me longer than 30 minutes. But I don't remember it being a big project -- but the last time must have been at least 6 or 8 years ago.

If you are at all handy, it is worth at least taking the board out & taking a look at the solder joints.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

The Bosch dishwashers I like are about $1,000 on sale so I’d probably try the $300 repair first—I would expect to get 10 years out of a $1,000 appliance. On an 8 year old unit I would not undertake a second repair unless it was DIY.
Wabbit

Post by Wabbit »

It looks like bogleheads are divided on repair vs. replace. I had this decision for a dishwasher a couple of months ago and I went with replace. I would rather have the $300 go toward a new one, after 10 years I wasn't sure how long the repaired dishwasher would last. I had different symptoms though. It sounds worthwhile to try the DIY repair suggested above if you can.

As far as new, the noise level is one of the specs published for most dishwashers. Consumer Reports ranked several Thermador and Bosch models about $1500 as being both quiet and cleaning well. But many cheaper models were ranked just as quiet as those, they just didn't clean quite as well. Many manufacturers have quiet washers now, so you should have many choices. And not all Bosch washers are quiet nowadays, despite it being that brand's original claim to fame.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Our Bosch stopped draining reliably and dishes were no longer coming out terribly clean last year after about 10 or 12 years. I did a little bit of troubleshooting, but with 3 little kids not having a reliable dishwasher is a hassle and it was beginning to risk a flood which in our kitchen with hardwood floors could cause much bigger problems. I did not want to take the risk of a $300 repair not fixing things when we could get a new one for $900.

The new model, also a Bosch, is considerably worse at drying however, and the touch pad controls are almost impossible to use.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

hoeboe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 am Are you in any way handy with a soldering iron? I have a similar vintage Bosch dishwasher with similar (same problem?) symptoms. It would also run a cycle for much longer than normal, never getting clean. Cleaned everything, checked all filters and pump. I had given up and was about to pull the trigger on a new one.

I checked online and turns out this is a somewhat common problem with many Bosch resulting from a bad solder joint on the back of a relay on the control board. Youtube videos document how to fix it. A few screws takes off the front panel, control board pops out, 30 seconds with a soldering iron, reassemble. Works good as new.

Took me about 30min. When you remove the control board, the failure will be obvious. If not, you've only wasted 20min taking it apart. If you don't own a soldering iron, you can take it apart, see if there it has this problem. If so, buy a $10 soldering iron. If not, buy a new $1000 dishwasher!
I would give this a try, and also check the heater for continuity (cheap multimeter at Lowe's Depot).

If I KNEW the heater was open I would spend the 160 (if it's even that much at the internet appliance parts site) and make the replacement myself.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

adamthesmythe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:59 am
hoeboe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:41 am Are you in any way handy with a soldering iron? I have a similar vintage Bosch dishwasher with similar (same problem?) symptoms. It would also run a cycle for much longer than normal, never getting clean. Cleaned everything, checked all filters and pump. I had given up and was about to pull the trigger on a new one.

I would give this a try, and also check the heater for continuity (cheap multimeter at Lowe's Depot).

If I KNEW the heater was open I would spend the 160 (if it's even that much at the internet appliance parts site) and make the replacement myself.
I watched the video on how to replace the heater and it wasn't difficult, but there was a lot to take apart. I'd be worried I put it back together wrong.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

This is great. Thanks much -- I think I could try this as a first step.

Too bad my engineer son left to go back to college a day or two ago. I could have made him do it (he's the one with the soldering iron).
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:08 pm

I watched the video on how to replace the heater and it wasn't difficult, but there was a lot to take apart. I'd be worried I put it back together wrong.
The biggest concern you have is you might do something that causes a slow leak in the dishwasher, and it leaks under your cabinet with you knowing, and rots out your subfloor. That can be very expensive.....
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

miamivice wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 pm
SC Anteater wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:08 pm

The biggest concern you have is you might do something that causes a slow leak in the dishwasher, and it leaks under your cabinet with you knowing, and rots out your subfloor. That can be very expensive.....
Yes, exactly! (Though I hate my kitchen and would love to replace it all, but not until I get these two kids out of college).
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

At 8 years old, I'd replace it. If you have it fixed and something else (or the same thing) goes wrong it is too big of a gamble in my book.

BTW, I don't believe Bosch dishwasher use heating elements:

"Instead of utilizing a heating element at the bottom of a dishwasher, condensation drying involves a number of dishwashing elements that work together to efficiently dry your dishes. ... Additionally, since Bosch dishwashers do not use a heating element, your plastics are safe in the lower rack."

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/experienc ... s_answered

They do heat the water in coils, but not with a heating element.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I'm not the least bit handy, but I've been surprised at just how easy it is to repair a lot of household appliances. I've repaired a wall oven, a washing machine, dishwasher, and even a toaster over. None of the parts were more than $100 on the high end and nothing took me more than 15 minutes of time. Each of them are still running now, years later. I used to just assume I had to replace things when they broke, especially if they were getting a little older, but now I at least give it a shot if it doesn't seem too pricey of a part. I get a nice dose of self satisfaction and save one more thing from clogging up a landfill.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:07 pm I'm not the least bit handy, but I've been surprised at just how easy it is to repair a lot of household appliances. I've repaired a wall oven, a washing machine, dishwasher, and even a toaster over. None of the parts were more than $100 on the high end and nothing took me more than 15 minutes of time. Each of them are still running now, years later. I used to just assume I had to replace things when they broke, especially if they were getting a little older, but now I at least give it a shot if it doesn't seem too pricey of a part. I get a nice dose of self satisfaction and save one more thing from clogging up a landfill.
That's been my experience too. We have a 10-year-old dishwasher that had easily diagnosed repairs twice in the last 4 years. I did both with the help of youtube and parts ordered online. In both cases it cost less than $50. The DW in question is a Kenmore Elite, which I understand is actually a high-end KitchenAid. Somebody above said they replaced a KitchenAid because it was leaking. That was the easier of the two repairs.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

SC Anteater wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 pm Have an 8 year old Bosch dishwasher and it appears the heating element (or the heating relays) has died; water is totally cold when running, stuff on top rack isn't getting clean and stuff isn't dry (not just plastics, which it never dried).

The question is -- repair, or replace? I figure the repair will be at least $250 or possibly $300. Part alone is around $160. Do I sink that much money into an 8 year old dishwasher? Will I get another 8 years out of it?

If I replace, I've seen a lot of negative reviews on current Bosch dishwashers -- have they gone cheap? What other brand should I look at? Quietness is of highest importance. I don't mind cleaning off the dishes before I put them in.
Replace. Easy decision.
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

Coming back to this thread to say this totally worked! Thanks so much.

The control panel on my particular model was on the back of the dishwasher, so it was a pain to take apart, but it worked. The failure wasn't as obvious as the youtube videos showed, but if you looked at it really closely you could see one that wasn't quite right. A dab of solder on it and now the dishwasher's heating up fine.
Hanksmoney

Post by Hanksmoney »

I just saw this thread as was really hoping you didn't buy a new one. Relieved you found the solder repair trick! I have a 10 year old Bosch dishwasher that had the same issue. Found the youtube video and fixed it with an hour and a few bucks worth of solder. It's a great dishwasher so good to hear you found that!
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

SC Anteater wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 pm Have an 8 year old Bosch dishwasher and it appears the heating element (or the heating relays) has died; water is totally cold when running, stuff on top rack isn't getting clean and stuff isn't dry (not just plastics, which it never dried).

I have a 2 year old Bosch. Unless I'm washing immediately, I rinse the dishes since I only wash about twice per week (unless I have company).

It is very quiet. The only thing I normally hear is the gurgling water. Half the time I forget its on, so I'm startled by the beep-beep-beep when the cycle finishes. I had issues with dishes drying, until I read the manual and started using to optimum settings. Now it's just the plastics that need to be dried off.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm not the least bit handy, but I've been surprised at just how easy it is to repair a lot of household appliances. I've repaired a wall oven, a washing machine, dishwasher, and even a toaster over. None of the parts were more than $100 on the high end and nothing took me more than 15 minutes of time. Each of them are still running now, years later. I used to just assume I had to replace things when they broke, especially if they were getting a little older, but now I at least give it a shot if it doesn't seem too pricey of a part. I get a nice dose of self satisfaction and save one more thing from clogging up a landfill.
I think it depends on the quality and the age of the appliance. I'm not handy myself, but I have had both my Kenmore washer and dryer repaired after they were at least 10 -12 years old. In each case, it was a fairly minor part and they were back to running like champs. They are old style mechanical units without all the computer chips. The repairman told me that the older units were a lot less problematic and could last as long as parts were available.

My dishwasher, on the other hand, was a cheap builder grade unit that didn't work all that well when it was new! So when it gave up the ghost, I replaced it with a Bosch. I initially planned to repair my oven, since I was pretty sure it was thermostat that went out. But the parts would have needed to be special ordered and it was two and a half weeks before Thanksgiving. I ended up buying an upgraded unit, which I really like.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Is the dishwasher connected to the hot water line?
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
UcHusky

Post by UcHusky »

If you are somewhat handy you can easily fix this. As others have noted, the control board heater relay likely burned out, a little soldering and you can resolve it yourself. This was a great video. If it doesn’t work you have lost nothing, just go with options B or C.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb8gAnMb2zQ
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

UcHusky wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 pm If you are somewhat handy you can easily fix this. As others have noted, the control board heater relay likely burned out, a little soldering and you can resolve it yourself. This was a great video. If it doesn’t work you have lost nothing, just go with options B or C.

Yup, see my update -- it's been fixed! Saved me the $$$ from buying a new one, which I greatly appreciate!
hoeboe

Post by hoeboe »

So glad to hear it! Hope it helps others and glad I can finally say I've contributed something useful to Bogleheads!
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

SC Anteater wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:23 pm
UcHusky wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:00 pm If you are somewhat handy you can easily fix this. As others have noted, the control board heater relay likely burned out, a little soldering and you can resolve it yourself. This was a great video. If it doesn’t work you have lost nothing, just go with options B or C.

Yup, see my update -- it's been fixed! Saved me the $$$ from buying a new one, which I greatly appreciate!
Reviving this because it seems like I'm having the same problem again (long run cycle, pretty sure it's not heating). Do I take it apart again and resolder it again? Any ideas why this fix should fail so quickly?
SleepKing

Post by SleepKing »

Time to replace it my friend.If you really like (and have time) to tinker, i'm sure someone will give you guidance!
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Assuming your solder joints were done well and you used the correct relay, if you find the contact was burned in the same way then it points to a basic design issue, i.e. the heat generated by the relay exceeds the thermal properties of the board and/or solder joint. Is there room on the board for a heat sink?

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsi ... 0573650528
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

SleepKing wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:15 pm Time to replace it my friend.If you really like (and have time) to tinker, i'm sure someone will give you guidance!
If I do, it's gonna be a rough month -- new pool pump, $1000 car repair, and new dishwasher. Ouch!
Topic Author
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:24 pm Assuming your solder joints were done well and you used the correct relay, if you find the contact was burned in the same way then it points to a basic design issue, i.e. the heat generated by the relay exceeds the thermal properties of the board and/or solder joint. Is there room on the board for a heat sink?

https://www.amazon.com/Easycargo-Heatsi ... 0573650528
I don't think there's room. We'll have to take it apart this weekend to see if it's the same joint that failed. Fortunately the college kid engineering major (though civil not mech) is home for the summer. Maybe he can help.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I recently faced the repair-or-replace dilemma when my 11 year old dishwasher developed a leak around the door. My research indicated that the average lifespan of a dishwasher is around 10 years, so I figured that even if I repaired the leak, something else might go wrong in the not-too-distant future. Given that, I replaced it rather than attempted a repair. Beyond taking care of the leak, buying a new unit represented a technological and feature upgrade, as is not too surprising given that a decade had passed since the original purchase. The new unit, a high-end Bosch, is much quieter, is more efficient, and has a useful 3rd rack.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

miamivice wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:26 pm
You can get a tray for under the dishwasher to bring all leaks forward - or put a bead of chalk and add a water alarm.
myleaf

Post by myleaf »

The repair video I saw mentioned that the bad solder joint is caused by a bad relay. If the relay is not replaced the solder joint will go bad in a matter of time.
"Never met an electron I did not like"
A440

Post by A440 »

Miele has an upcoming promotion:
As an FYI, there is an upcoming promotion:

We are excited to announce that we will be offering a 5-Year Complimentary Warranty (retail value of up to $299) on our G 4228 SC Dishwasher for a very LIMITED TIME. In doing this, we are providing our stamp of confidence and endorsement to those purchasing this specific model. Timing-wise, we stress this model be pushed before, during, and after Labor Day weekend, as an exclusive offer from Miele.

QUALIFYING MODELS:

• G 4228 SC _ Visible control panel, basic cutlery tray ( NOT 3D ), prefinished Clean Touch Steel. No Express cycle. $999

TIMING:

• Purchase applicable Miele products by between August 26th - September 23rd, 2019

• Complete your rebate claim by visiting www.mielestore.com/promos/g4228-promotion.com by October 31st, 2019 (this link will be active as of 8/26/19)
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.