English /Spanish dictionary suggestions ??????

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
parigi723

English /Spanish dictionary suggestions ??????

Post by parigi723 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello friends:
Thank once again for your previous replies,as usual very helful.
Perhaps all of you might be able to help me to locate an Spanish/English English /Spanish by Larousse.
The selection on Amazon is so wide is mind boggling.Maybe someone in your community can guide me to the proper dictionary,
I've chosen Larousse because I have them in French/Spanish and French ,and in Spanish.Can you help?
Many thanks,parigi.

flyingaway

Re: English /Spanish dictionary suggestions ??????

Post by flyingaway » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:44 pm

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I found that Google Translator on a smart phone is better than any dictionary, especially it is free, goes with you anywhere, and can do voice and image (word) translations.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:51 pm

What scale are you looking for? They have anything from pocket to unabridged.

Plus they have online free lookup with audio files for pronunciation.
Last edited by Ged on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:04 pm
Hello friends:
Thank once again for your previous replies,as usual very helful.
Perhaps all of you might be able to help me to locate an Spanish/English English /Spanish by Larousse.
The selection on Amazon is so wide is mind boggling.Maybe someone in your community can guide me to the proper dictionary,
I've chosen Larousse because I have them in French/Spanish and French ,and in Spanish.Can you help?
Many thanks,parigi.
How will you be using the dictionary? For travel or self-study?

Topic Author
parigi723

Post by parigi723 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 pm

Selfstudy........thank you.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:10 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:44 pm
This may not be the answer you are looking for, but I found that Google Translator on a smart phone is better than any dictionary, especially it is free, goes with you anywhere, and can do voice and image (word) translations.
And is reasonably good at translating phrases, which the dictionary can’t do.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:16 pm

parigi723 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:57 pm
I've known several people who have learned a new language through duolingo on their computer or smart device. Seems a lot better than simply reading a dictionary as it gets into grammar.

https://www.duolingo.com/

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:11 pm

parigi723 wrote:
If you already have a basic grasp of the language, you might want to consider getting a monolingual Spanish dictionary. Using a monolingual dictionary will motivate you to understand the meaning of a word without translating it to English and can deepen your understanding of and facility with the language.

I speak from experience. My teacher in Paris used to declare loudly "Pas de dictionnaires bilingues!" And for many years I didn't even have a serious bilingual dictionary. On the downside, I often can't quickly think of the English word for .... On the upside, I can more often understand what I read or hear without having to know the English words. A thesaurus-like reference can be useful for when you are looking for the right word in the target language. You start with something you know and then look for similar words that are more on target, e.g., it's like "brown" but lighter. Beige?

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:39 pm

Larousse is good for all French language dictionaries because it is a French company. The Pequeño Larousse Ilustrado is a great monolingual dictionary for its size and especially good for autodidacts because of conceptual groupings.

For desk reference, the Random House used to be the best overall, but if you are looking for a particular Spanish (Iberian, Mexican, Argentine, etc.), you might want to inquire further.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:44 pm
Google Translate is good for sentences, but because of the way it's constructed/trained, it's not as good for the nuances of individual words. For that, I use linguee.com/linguee.es/linguee.fr/linguee.de.... Linguee has a lot of usage examples to go along with the definitions. There is also a Linguee iOS app (and I assume an Android app).

I haven't used a paper dictionary in years.

I agree with the folks extolling the virtues of primary language dictionaries. For Spanish, I consult the Real Academia Española online dictionary (https://dle.rae.es/). For French, I consult le Dictionnaire de l’Académie française (https://www.dictionnaire-academie.fr/).

Rocco Sampler

Post by Rocco Sampler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:22 pm

The Oxford Spanish Dictionary at 2032 pages is a very good large book type dictionary with comprehensive definitions.

There are also other sources that would supplement it or are just plain easier to use for personal learning:

Linguee.com provides word meanings with a lot of examples of actual use. You can type in the English or Spanish word and get the translation and examples. WordReference.com is also good. Madrid's Royal Academy of Spanish (RAE) is the recognized authority on the Spanish language and has an online dictionary at dle.rae.es , but is in Spanish; however, that may lead you to learn more words.

And Google Translate rounds out the picture.

Be careful with meanings that are specific to individual countries. The RAE dictionary tells you how the words are used in different countries and if the words are colloquial or standard. Sometimes it's a waste a time to learn a word that only works in, for example, Cuba.
Have fun!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 pm

I use no-cost online resources mostly. WordReference.com seems pretty good as an English-Spanish, Spanish-English dictionary, with functions like full verb conjugation.

When I was beginning, I bought a paper Spanish-only dictionary, Vox Diccionario Escolar De La Lengua Espanola, because I thought it would be good for my language-learning brain to force myself to understand Spanish words by reading definitions in Spanish. Later, I found that the "official" Spanish dictionary from the Royal Spanish Academy is available at no cost online at https://dle.rae.es/ and also as an Android (and probably an iOS) app.

Under Android, it is possible to install a connection that causes any text-copying operation to send the text to Google Translate. That means you can highlight any Spanish text anywhere, copy it, and have Google Translate translate it into English.

Google Translate is good on sentences with simple grammar, and very good on idiomatic phrases, but it is quite unreliable when you get into more advanced tenses like the conditional and the subjunctive.

Yes, I find Google Translate helpful. The way I like to use it is to use it only in the Spanish-English direction. I write in Spanish, and if it translates it into the English I expected, the Spanish is probably correct. This seems more reliable than the other way around.

Here's what a full verb conjugation from WordReference looks like.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Sahara

Post by Sahara » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:58 am

I also like Verbix for verb tenses and forms. I find Google Translate useful to verify spelling, accent placement and minor word order issues.

An interesting exercise is to type something you create in Spanish into Google Translate. Translate it into English to see if it says what you intended, as suggested by nisiprius. You can then click the arrow again and Google will correct any errors it finds in your original Spanish. As others have mentioned, the accuracy drops as you move into more complex grammatical structures.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:00 am

GerryL wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:11 pm
parigi723 wrote:
If you already have a basic grasp of the language, you might want to consider getting a monolingual Spanish dictionary. Using a monolingual dictionary will motivate you to understand the meaning of a word without translating it to English and can deepen your understanding of and facility with the language.

I speak from experience. My teacher in Paris used to declare loudly "Pas de dictionnaires bilingues!" And for many years I didn't even have a serious bilingual dictionary. On the downside, I often can't quickly think of the English word for .... On the upside, I can more often understand what I read or hear without having to know the English words. A thesaurus-like reference can be useful for when you are looking for the right word in the target language. You start with something you know and then look for similar words that are more on target, e.g., it's like "brown" but lighter. Beige?
I want to strongly second this suggestion. When my wife and I went to Mexico a few years back for some immersion study, the first thing the instructor did was ask us for our dual-language dictionaries, which he took from us. He said "You won't be using those while you're here". He then gave us monolingual Spanish dictionaries with the simple instruction to look up the target word and learn the definition in Spanish. If we encountered a word in the definition we didn't understand, we were to look up that word.

At first it seemed like a nutty idea to me, but he didn't offer us any other choices, and after all, we were there to learn THEIR way. I quickly found that whenever I needed to know the definition of a word, I often learned a half-dozen other words along the way. It can be a tedious process at times, but VERY effective. Not only do you learn the new word(s), but also you gain some context and perspective within the definition. Learn to learn the language like a native, not like a foreigner.

Somewhere along the way, you also begin to realize that to say, for example, "the word for 'table' in Spanish is 'mesa' " is wrong-headed thinking. No, the thing you sit at when you eat in an English speaking context is a "table", but in a Spanish speaking context it is a "mesa". That's where your thinking begins to subtly change and you stop translating in your mind. You must stop translating in your mind if you want to become proficient in the other language. Learn to speak the language like a native, not like a foreigner.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

kramer

Post by kramer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:52 am

IMO, the best Spanish English dictionaries are the Oxford English-Spanish dictionary and Spanish Dict.

The first is pretty much the most comprehensive one available and the latter is better for phrases. So they both have their role in translations.

The Oxford English Spanish dictionary is available on Android for free with ads or for about $20 for off-line use with no ads. I gladly paid the $20.

Spanish dict is available as a free app (you must be online). And their web site is at: www.spanishdict.com

I could not even imagine using a paper dictionary any more after using them on my phone.

You can also get the most comprehensive all Spanish dictionary online for free (and you must be online to use it) as an Android app. It is the Diccionario de la lengua española put out by the Real Academia Española.

Edit: Google translate is of limited value for understanding the meaning of words, getting sample phrases, etc. if you are actually trying to learn to use the language at anything beyond a basic level.

lahob

Post by lahob » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:08 pm

The best medium sized paper dictionary I know of is the Webster's New World Spanish Dictionary (concise edition). I have the 1992 printing. I believe it's out of print, but you can probably find it used on Amazon.

The best offline electronic (and perhaps the best overall) is the Oxford Spanish Dictionary. You can get the PC version for about $20 and the mobile version for about $10. A fantastic dictionary with lots of usage examples, something most reasonable sized paper dictionaries lack. This dictionary was my secret weapon while I was learning.

The best online dictionary for learners is at wordreference.com. They have two dictionaries (their own and the Collins). Very helpful and of similar quality to the Oxford. Free but you need an Internet connection.

With both of the electronic dictionaries I recommended you can click on a word to go to its definition. That's an important advantage over paper dictionaries.