Amazon Fire Tablets are on sale ......

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Amazon Fire Tablets are on sale ......

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39 am

Amazon Fire 7" tablets are being offered to Amazon Prime members for $34.99.
Amazon Fire HD8 tablets are being offered to Amazon Prime members for $49.99
Amazon Fire HD10 tablets are being offered to Amazon Prime members for $99.99

A couple of month ago I replaced a dead Acer tablet when the Amazon Fire HD8 model was offered to Amazon Prime Members for $49.99. Very nice tablet. Definitely a step up from the 7" tablet.

A few years ago I bought (with parental approval, of course) the older grandkids Acer tablets. One by one they have bricked and I have replaced them with Amazon tablets. Every Amazon tablet I have bought, plus my Amazon Paperwhite e-reader is still chugging along.

At any rate, I have experience with the 7 inch and the 8 inch Amazon tablets. Very positive experiences thus far, the tablets seem very durable, no issues come to mind.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

montanagirl

Re: Amazon Fire Tablets are on sale ......

Post by montanagirl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am

Thanks, been waiting for this. Though my 2011 Samsung tab2 has held up well as a Kindle reader. :beer

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:16 pm

montanagirl wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am
Thanks, been waiting for this. Though my 2011 Samsung tab2 has held up well as a Kindle reader. :beer
I had a Samsung 10" tablet, bricked last year. I bought the HD8 Amazon tablet during an earlier sale for $49.99. Then wife's Acer 8" tablet bricked and I bought her a Samsung 10" tablet when Costco was running a sale. I wish I had waited to buy her a Amazon 10" tablet instead, could have bought two Amazon 10" tablets and had money left over from the Samsung purchase. Plus I would have a 10" tablet again. Oh well, money is like blood, gotta keep it circulating.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 pm

I tried out an Amazon tablet a few months ago. The hardware is adequate. The downside is that the software is very limiting.

They use their own OS which is based on Android but is not true Android. You can not use it out of the box to access the Google Play store or install Google Apps such as Gmail, Google Drive, Google Docs, Google Calendar, etc. There are work-arounds to this, but most people will not find them easy.

If you just plan to watch Amazon movies and do web browsing using the Amazon browser and the like, then the Amazon tablet might be a good match for you.

But my own personal experience was as follows: Even after hacking it to install the Google Play store, I found it too limited. So, I returned mine and got a Samsung tablet instead. It was more expensive, but the additional software features made this a no-brainer for me. Your mileage may vary.

Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:14 am

what are these tablets good for? i could see myself using them for travel mostly.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:51 am

maybe they're having trouble selling these? for the past XX months have seen these on sale repeatedly.

I pondered one for a niece as a gift (educational stuff), but the OS doesn't seem flexible to use off of the Amazon planet.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 am

My favorite thing about my fire was that if I lost or broke it, I was not out as much as when I lost or broke my ipad.
It is good as a toy but not a tool.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Gufomel

Post by Gufomel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:06 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 am
My favorite thing about my fire was that if I lost or broke it, I was not out as much as when I lost or broke my ipad.
It is good as a toy but not a tool.
+1

We got the 7” over a year ago when it was on sale for $35. It was our first (and still only) “tablet”. Basically its only two practical uses that I’ve found are: 1) my wife uses it occasionally for looking up recipies in the kitchen, 2) my toddlers use it occasionally for watching kid’s YouTube videos (primarily on road trips).

For those two uses, I’d say it’s been worth $35. But only because it was just $35. I can’t imagine purchasing it to be used as anything remotely close to a fully functioning tablet. Because it’s really not even close to that.

It does still work (though it doesn’t get heavy use). And I would consider buying a 2nd one if we wanted both of our kids to be able to use it at the same time.

Imagine it’s 15 years ago and you’re told that there’s a 7 inch light weight touch screen device that you can browse the internet on and watch YouTube. If that still sounds exciting to you, then an Amazon 7” is for you. :D

CommitmentDevice

Post by CommitmentDevice » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:22 am

We looked at tablet profit margins in a product management class recently. Amazon sells tablets basically at cost (maybe even at a slight loss - I don't recall), where as Apple tablets have hefty profit margins. Amazon is willing to take a hit on the tablet sale because they know that people buy more products off of Amazon as a result of owning an Amazon tablet.
More than anything, I read this as:
  • You get really good hardware for the money when you buy an Amazon tablet
  • You are probably going to buy more Amazon stuff if you buy an Amazon table. If you're comfortable with that, go for it, just know what you're signing up for

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 pm

You are also giving Amazon access to all of your search history, not just purchase history.
Got to sell your soul to Apple, Google, or Amazon...no need to give it to multiple companies.
hard pass.

GatorFL

Post by GatorFL » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:08 pm

I own 2 of the Amazon HD 10 Fire tablets. I picked them up from qvc.com of all places. They had a deal with a free 32GB card and a custom case for $119.

They are great tablets for the money as long as you get out of "Fire Jail". I looked up how to break out of the Amazon universe and get Google Play installed. It was really pretty simple to do, several youtube videos that will walk you through it.

Battery life is great, display is crisp, and they are very quick. I have loaded dozens of apps and not had any compatibility issues.

GatorFL

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39 am
I don't see these prices on Amazon.com.

TravelforFun

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:18 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:16 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:39 am
I don't see these prices on Amazon.com.

TravelforFun
Promo ended.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Yep, promo over.

Amazon runs the promo frequently, however.

Broken Man 1999

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:33 pm