Wood vs Laminate Flooring

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Tool-Time

Wood vs Laminate Flooring

Post by Tool-Time » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 am

Need new floors in modest 20 yo raised ranch. Newest house in neighborhood. Looking to sell house in 5 years or less. Laminate would be cheaper and based on neighborhood it might be the best investment. I would do the installation either way. Thoughts?

Wiggums

Re: Wood vs Laminate Flooring

Post by Wiggums » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am

One consideration might be the value of the house and what type of flooring is installed in comparable homes. Personally, I’m not a fan of the thin laminate flooring. A thicker engineered flooring might be a good compromise.

Good luck to you.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:07 am

Does depend on market and neighborhood. Flip houses in my area with laminate or LVP flooring tend to sell just as fast these days...but it's because there's a lack of inventory for specific price point houses.

Who knows what the market will look like in 5 years.

I always love real hardwood floors. Nobody ever walks into a house and turns their noses up at real wood floors.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:20 am

You're less likely to regret going the extra mile on the touches, especially when it comes time to sell.

HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:24 am

I love hardwood floors. I don’t like the look and feel/sound when you walk on a laminate floor. Perhaps you can find a close-out special for hardwood flooring that can keep the material cost reasonable.

pswift

Post by pswift » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am

15 years ago, I installed laminate flooring on the recommendation of the contractor. This year the laminate has started to peel and flake off. It’s not repairable.
I will never buy laminate again.

But it sounds like you have some other considerations.

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:55 am

Higher end laminate is better than cheap headwood.

My laminate floors look brand new but have been in for many years now.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:56 am

Tool-Time wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 am
Need new floors in modest 20 yo raised ranch. Newest house in neighborhood. Looking to sell house in 5 years or less. Laminate would be cheaper and based on neighborhood it might be the best investment. I would do the installation either way. Thoughts?
Go with wood.

JediMisty

Post by JediMisty » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:58 am

Wiggums wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:04 am
One consideration might be the value of the house and what type of flooring is installed in comparable homes. Personally, I’m not a fan of the thin laminate flooring. A thicker engineered flooring might be a good compromise.

Good luck to you.
+1. Take virtual tour of comparable neighborhood houses

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:04 am

I worked for a flooring company for years, and I would never touch laminate again. I've seen all kinds of problems crop up with it, not the least of which is delamination.

It's not necessary to spend a lot on hardwood floor. We've had handscraped bamboo flooring in our main living area for four years now (technically, it's a grass, but who cares?), and it's retained its beauty and is very durable, despite our three year-old's attempts to destroy it. It's a floating floor, and with the underlayment was under $5 sq./ft. We would have gone with a 3/4" solid hickory floor, which is what we had in our prior home and literally adored, but out current home has a concrete foundation, and installing such a floor would have been a real pain.

If you don't want to spend the money on a real hardwood floor, I would suggest that you look into sheet vinyl as an option. There are some very nice options out there now, some that look more like hardwood floor than most laminates. Some can also be repaired more easily and effectively than laminates.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 am

Have you ever heard of anyone ripping out real hardwood floors and installing laminate? Me neither.

Go with wood.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:19 am

If you know you are selling in 5 years, laminate. Also an easier DIY install in most cases.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:21 am

WhyNotUs wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:19 am
If you know you are selling in 5 years, laminate. Also an easier DIY install in most cases.
Actually, you can get a hardwood flooring that floats and snaps together just as easily as laminate. Ours does.

Hardwood is far more likely to increase the resale value of the property than laminate.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 am

Knowing you are going to sell in 5 years or less, go laminate. Wood is superior but you wont get to enjoy that extra cost and it wont increase your sale price if all of the other homes have laminate.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am

Hardwood floors will last much longer than laminate. They can also potentially add value to the home. I have laminate in my basement (due to moisture, hardwood isn't recommended for basements) and hardwood on the main floors. It's a really high quality laminate, with an excellent under layer that gives it the sound and feel of hardwood. I can't tell the difference until I scratch it.

Whichever way you go, track your costs and keep your receipts. Changing the flooring is considered a capital improvement which increases your cost basis in the house. With your intention to sell in 5 years, the flooring improvements of either type will still be in place and can help your taxes. If it's more than 10 years before the sale, hardwood is the better choice because it will last much longer.

Caveat: I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant, and I have no idea what your local laws are. Consult with an actual tax advisor before relying on any tax advise from strangers on the Internet.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:10 am

wolf359 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am
...Whichever way you go, track your costs and keep your receipts. Changing the flooring is considered a capital improvement which increases your cost basis in the house. With your intention to sell in 5 years, the flooring improvements of either type will still be in place and can help your taxes...
It might even be better than that. The last time this arose for me, if you did a renovation where the floor was changed that made the entire renovation a capital improvement and increased the basis of the house. Even for items, which alone would be repair and maintenance if done alone.

Again -- check the tax laws for yourself.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:17 am

If I were planning on selling within five years, I would recarpet. Your buyer will be doing the mental math of how much it costs to replace whatever you have with what they want, which is usually, but not always, wood.

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 am

To avoid unnecessary upgrades check local listings to see what materials and amenities current homes for sale have. Where I live three bedroom ranches that haven't been updated since the 60s sell for over $825K.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am

wolf359 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am
Hardwood floors will last much longer than laminate. They can also potentially add value to the home. I have laminate in my basement (due to moisture, hardwood isn't recommended for basements) and hardwood on the main floors. It's a really high quality laminate, with an excellent under layer that gives it the sound and feel of hardwood. I can't tell the difference until I scratch it.

Whichever way you go, track your costs and keep your receipts. Changing the flooring is considered a capital improvement which increases your cost basis in the house. With your intention to sell in 5 years, the flooring improvements of either type will still be in place and can help your taxes. If it's more than 10 years before the sale, hardwood is the better choice because it will last much longer.

Caveat: I am neither a lawyer nor an accountant, and I have no idea what your local laws are. Consult with an actual tax advisor before relying on any tax advise from strangers on the Internet.
But of course, if it's the OP's primary residence and they live there for at least two years, the $250k ($500k for MFJ) capital gain exclusion will almost certainly prevent any taxes.

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am

Tool-Time wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:49 am
Laminate is easier and faster to install. Since you are doing the install yourself, if this doesn't bother you and you already own a flooring nailer, than I would go hardwood. The material cost difference (between high quality laminate and hardwood) is minimal on a small house. We are talking maybe an extra $1k or $2k, well worth it in my opinion to be able to advertise hardwood on the MLS later. As long as you don't screw up the install or use complete crap product, I think going from carpet to hardwood is one of the best moves you can make when you are getting ready to sell.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

Unless you're comfortable working with wood and have the tools (a good pneumatic floor nailer and chop saw at the least), I would not advise a self install for hardwood. If you currently have carpet, the underlayment under that should be removed. And if you are installing hardwood over concrete, it requires a different approach.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:20 am

This is a good summary I think of the relative pros and cons:
https://www.thespruce.com/laminate-vs-h ... re-1821870

It’s not the 80’s anymore, and laminate flooring isn’t as cheap and troublesome as some may remember. But that just means the gap has closed in quality. Hardwood may still be worth the extra expense but it’s not a slam dunk anymore.

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am

megabad wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:43 am
Laminate is easier and faster to install.
Not necessarily. Our bamboo flooring is a floating floor that snapped together just as easily as any laminate out there. There many varieties of hardwood floor with this as an installation option.

strycker001

Post by strycker001 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Word of advice. Real wood is nice but does require refinishing through the years. That won't be your issue if you're selling the house in 5 years time. On the advice of a pet owner (me personally) I'd much rather have the higher end laminate (engineered hardwood) in my house. Accidents that happen on a wood floor are extremely hard to clean and it gets into the cracks between the wood. Can even cause cupping. Again, perspective buyer with pets will also have less issues with laminate to wood with claws. Just my two cents. And the options out there really have come a long way since the first wood laminate flooring that was available. The thicker the better and having a decent backing is key for noise and comfort.

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:41 am
megabad wrote:
Not necessarily. Our bamboo flooring is a floating floor that snapped together just as easily as any laminate out there. There many varieties of hardwood floor with this as an installation option.
You are correct, I should have said, laminate is easier to install than most reasonably priced hardwood flooring. The click lock hardwood is 2-3 times the price of the nail stuff where I am located so I don't have experience with it but it may be beneficial if you really hate nailing. I don't have experience with bamboo since I found out I am apparently allergic to the glues used. As long as you have a decent nailer, nailing isn't too bad until you get to the part where the nailer won't fit between the piece and the wall.

rage_phish

Post by rage_phish » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:44 pm

have you considered premium luxury vinyl?

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm

megabad wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:36 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
megabad wrote:
You are correct, I should have said, laminate is easier to install than most reasonably priced hardwood flooring. The click lock hardwood is 2-3 times the price of the nail stuff where I am located so I don't have experience with it but it may be beneficial if you really hate nailing. I don't have experience with bamboo since I found out I am apparently allergic to the glues used. As long as you have a decent nailer, nailing isn't too bad until you get to the part where the nailer won't fit between the piece and the wall.
Yes, nail-down is definitely more time consuming, probably 3-5x longer in my own experience.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:59 pm

rage_phish wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:44 pm
have you considered premium luxury vinyl?
It’s in the jumbo shrimp section. :wink:

Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:00 pm

You might consider Audra Max. It is scratch and water resistant, and very pretty installed.
https://www.mannington.com/Residential/AduraMax

RCL

Post by RCL » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:34 pm

I had GemCore (Ruby Collection) by Reward installed.
It's a 100% waterproof Stone composite hybrid (>= 70% stone) called Stone Composite Flooring (SCF).
Waterproof was required because of bath/shower area as one of the rooms done and didn't want any transitions between rooms.
Lifetime structural all conditions, and finish (residential, not commercial) warranty.

This stuff is bullet-proof in my opinion...couldn't be happier
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:35 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm
megabad wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
megabad wrote:
Yes, nail-down is definitely more time consuming, probably 3-5x longer in my own experience.
I doubt 5X longer but nailing can go quickly. The bigger problem is laying out the random lengths of solid hardwood and mixing them so you don't get shorts or butt joints next to each other in adjacent rows. And of course you always have to cut the last piece or find the right size piece to fit well at the end of a row. And you don't want to cut off a piece less than 6" (unless you plan to use all the "leftover" and scrap in a closet).

willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:43 pm

pshonore wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:35 pm
willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm
megabad wrote:
willthrill81 wrote:
megabad wrote:
I doubt 5X longer but nailing can go quickly. The bigger problem is laying out the random lengths of solid hardwood and mixing them so you don't get shorts or butt joints next to each other in adjacent rows. And of course you always have to cut the last piece or find the right size piece to fit well at the end of a row. And you don't want to cut off a piece less than 6" (unless you plan to use all the "leftover" and scrap in a closet).
The last time I did nail down hardwood, it took me five solid days working alone to lay about 400 sq. ft. As megabad pointed out, what really slowed me down were the last several rows on the walls opposite where I started, since the tongue nailer cannot be used in a small space and I had to pre-drill holes for the nails and/or face nail the planks. I had several door jambs to work around as well, and those can really slow you down. That being said, it looked fantastic when it was done, and I would have done it again in a heartbeat had our current home not had a concrete foundation.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:25 am
Knowing you are going to sell in 5 years or less, go laminate. Wood is superior but you wont get to enjoy that extra cost and it wont increase your sale price if all of the other homes have laminate.
How do you know that if all things are equal, the house with real wood floors won't fetch more than laminate? I don't agree with that statement.

sergio

Post by sergio » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:39 pm

pswift wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:46 am
15 years ago, I installed laminate flooring on the recommendation of the contractor. This year the laminate has started to peel and flake off. It’s not repairable.

15 years seems like a decent run for what was presumably an affordable and easy to install flooring option.

Real hardwood floor would probably require at least one refinishing (huge PITA) in that period of time.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 pm

BogleBoogie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
How do you know that if all things are equal, the house with real wood floors won't fetch more than laminate? I don't agree with that statement.
It might sell for a little more but not the full difference in cost.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:48 pm

High end laminate flooring that approximates wood looks fine. It's more important for the house to look new when selling it than high end.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:38 pm

We just had 1,300 sq ft of luxury vinyl planks installed. Removed tile and laminate wood. Installers had to really do some leveling, but it looks great, now one continuous floor except in bathroom and laundry room which we felt would be better with tile. Only two transition strips now. The brand is Coretec, I believe.

When I mentioned the vinyl planking to wife, she was adamant we were not going to install any, at least until she found out some was expensive in comparison to tile and laminates. Then she had a change of heart. :oops: My own fault, should have stuck to the tile we have picked out already.

Old floors were from 1999. They actually were in OK shape, a few scratches in the laminate and a couple of chips in the tile. Got tired of old floor.

Wives in the neighborhood go, "ohhh" and "ahhh", husbands grimace and grab their wallets. I'm probably the most hated man in the neighborhood at this moment.

No idea about resale value, of any flooring selections or renovations, don't care. We like what we just had completed, so we will enjoy it ourselves. My ideal final disposal of our casa would be the last one of us living flipping the set of keys to the reverse mortgage holder who hopefully has advanced more money to us than the home is valued. Bye! Bye!

Probably next projects are new gutters, new fence, maybe a new front door, maybe a new roof. I'd rather complete these type activities when the market is strong.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm

sergio wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:39 pm
pswift wrote:

15 years seems like a decent run for what was presumably an affordable and easy to install flooring option.

Real hardwood floor would probably require at least one refinishing (huge PITA) in that period of time.
I live in a house with hardwood floors and 7 years after installation I see no reason to do a refinishing at this rate in in the next 10 years.
Also some hardwood like oak is much more resilient than what I have (maple).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:28 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (flooring).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:09 pm

sergio wrote:

In my experience, pre-finished hardwood flooring (the only kind anyone should use these days) is just about indestructible in normal residential usage. You would be hard pressed to see any wear at the 15 year mark.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am

michaelingp wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:09 pm
In my experience, pre-finished hardwood flooring (the only kind anyone should use these days) is just about indestructible in normal residential usage. You would be hard pressed to see any wear at the 15 year mark.
Why do you think pre-finished is the only way to go these days? My local flooring people seem to like the "install raw, sand, and stain" approach.

sergio

Post by sergio » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am

Starfish wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm
sergio wrote:
pswift wrote:

I live in a house with hardwood floors and 7 years after installation I see no reason to do a refinishing at this rate in in the next 10 years.
Interesting. My parents installed hardwood throughout the lower level of their house maybe 20 years ago. By 15 years it definitely was worn. Now 20 years later they look quite bad. They keep putting off the refinishing because of the hassle and time involved.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 am

sergio wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:33 am
Starfish wrote:
sergio wrote:
pswift wrote:

Interesting. My parents installed hardwood throughout the lower level of their house maybe 20 years ago. By 15 years it definitely was worn. Now 20 years later they look quite bad. They keep putting off the refinishing because of the hassle and time involved.
Pre-finished or on site finished? We installed pre-finished years ago and all my research at the time indicated that pre-finished was superior to on site finished. It came from a mill in Canada (Lauzon). It still looks new. My main concern at the time is I didn't want the mess of on site finishing.

sergio

Post by sergio » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:43 am

mpnret wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 am
sergio wrote:
Starfish wrote:
sergio wrote:
pswift wrote:

Pre-finished or on site finished? We installed pre-finished years ago and all my research at the time indicated that pre-finished was superior to on site finished. It came from a mill in Canada (Lauzon). It still looks new. My main concern at the time is I didn't want the mess of on site finishing.
These were installed raw and finished on site. Not sure what pre-finished options were available at the time. It's possible they could've done better if they had gone for some prefinished option.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:56 am

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am
michaelingp wrote:
Why do you think pre-finished is the only way to go these days? My local flooring people seem to like the "install raw, sand, and stain" approach.
I wouldn't say it it is the only way to go (I have both in my house) but the finish can be applied under more exact, favorable conditions at a factory than in your house. Add to that that the installers want to get the job done and may not wait the proper amount of time between coats of sealer and probably won't apply it quite as evenly even if good at it.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:26 am

Thanks. :happy

Still early in the process....lots to learn.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:59 am

sergio wrote:
Starfish wrote:
sergio wrote:
pswift wrote:

Mine was prefinished so maybe is some difference there.
A lot of it is exposed too and is in area of high traffic, but we do not have dogs and don't spend that much time at home.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:01 pm

retiredjg wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 am
michaelingp wrote:
Of course they do, this is how they get paid.
I did not see any wood finished on site to look remotely similar with a nice prefinished one. It seems to last a lot longer too.

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:51 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 pm
BogleBoogie wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:06 pm
barnaclebob wrote:
It might sell for a little more but not the full difference in cost.
Agreed that is a likely scenario. Two additional bonuses are 1. that feature may edge out a similar home in the area and secure a quicker sale and 2. enjoy the higher quality product for the time period living there.

CheCha54

Post by CheCha54 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:43 pm

I would go with a Solid Polymer Core (SPC) vinyl product with a pad underneath, not attached. Laminate has its drawbacks, moisture and sound. Wood is great, but cost and moisture can be an issue. A solid core product with a vinyl top is the closest to wood and moisture is a non issue. Look for "waterproof". The pad underneath helps with sound. There is not an appreciable difference between pads. Once you have a pad after that it's diminishing return on sound.