Better elementary school - switch soon or wait

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Better elementary school - switch soon or wait

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 pm

My oldest daughter is in Kindergarten and often impresses people with how sharp she is. Kindergarten has been great for her socially but her current school doesn't get the best ratings and has a large variation in performance.

We love where we live but the next district over has much better ratings and performance. The other town over is also significantly more expensive. For a similar set up we'd spend about $20-$30k more a year if we moved which we could easily afford, but it's a lot if we're moving just for a better school. There aren't any privates around us and the charters are lottery based where you have to hit the jackpot to get in. I also don't think homeschooling is a great fit for us.

My daughter enjoys learning and being challenged so I wouldn't want her to get bored and be around a lot of peers that don't take school as seriously.

Would love to hear from other parents and especially teachers on here -- how important is it for kids to be challenged in elementary school? Do some kids still skip grades and what are the pros / cons? There are lots of variables, but I'm curious to get feedback from others

pdavi21

Re: Better elementary school - switch soon or wait

Post by pdavi21 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:33 pm

It doesn't matter at all. It's elementary school. The most important class is PE (not joking).

EDIT: For bright kids, just make sure their middle school will let them start highschool Math/science early, and their highschool has lots of AP courses or dual enrollment.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm

Two things...

1) Everyone’s kindergartner is above average.

2) Don’t solve a problem you don’t have. Most schools are just fine for most kids, especially the kids whose parents care. If she isn’t challenged, or has some other problem, solve the problem when it happens.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 am

Our son skipped 6th grade. Yes, you can still skip grades.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 am

If you love where you live, I wouldn't move now (if at all).

Get involved in your child's school.
If your child needs to be challenged more, work with the school to find options.
Advocate with your local officials to fund/improve whatever you think may be lacking in terms of school resources.
Find a few other parents who are also at risk of moving for "better" schools, work together to get ideas of what would keep you in current district and try to make some of it happen. Would it be magnet programs, a gifted program, a dual-language program, smaller class sizes, music/art/dance/theater programs, etc?

Supplement your child's education at home.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am

Kindergarten is a direct reflection on what they come in knowing. As they move through the grades that will change. If your happy with the school, if your happy with the staff and how they communicate with you then stay happy.
I teach elementary, if you have any questions please ask.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:15 pm
We love where we live but the next district over has much better ratings and performance.
When I moved to our current town, the public school system had horrible ratings and next district over had stellar reviews. Over the last five years, the next district over has received hordes of kids using open enrollment from our district. They receive two general types of kids. The kids of parents looking for the best education and the trouble making kids whose parents were looking for a fresh start. Now the next district over is known for overcrowding, lots of school fights going on and plummeting school ratings while the public school in our district now receives much better ratings. This all took place in five years. I say all this as an observer since our children went to a small private elementary school.

Moral of the story, schools can change in quality and can do so very quickly.

hand

Post by hand » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 am

Recognize that there’s a lot of daylight between school rankings and the specific educational experience an individual child will have at a given school.

School rankings are an imperfect general measure that may not even measure the criteria that are important to you.

Niche.com explains their rankings as follows (with an entire page of explanation of their process, but nothing but the following on actual ranking criteria):

“Families from every corner of America and every background use Niche to research schools, so our rankings are intended to be useful to a wide range of families and filterable by type and location. Our rankings strive to reflect the entire school experience, including academics, teachers, diversity, student life, and student outcomes.”

For the truly exceptional student, a strong core of high performing students and teachers in an “average” school may be more compelling than a school highly rated for student life, diversity and a higher number of AP classes than your student could ever take.

As an engaged parent, the job is to find the best school for your child, not the highest ranked school.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:48 am

Thanks all. I agree that the later grades are much more important academically and we'll likely stay put.
quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 pm
Two things...

I don't want to boast but if you want me to give examples I can.
leeks wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 am
If you love where you live, I wouldn't move now (if at all).

Get involved in your child's school.
If your child needs to be challenged more, work with the school to find options.
Advocate with your local officials to fund/improve whatever you think may be lacking in terms of school resources.
Find a few other parents who are also at risk of moving for "better" schools, work together to get ideas of what would keep you in current district and try to make some of it happen. Would it be magnet programs, a gifted program, a dual-language program, smaller class sizes, music/art/dance/theater programs, etc?

Supplement your child's education at home.
My spouse volunteers quite a bit. This is where she can see how a lot of kids struggle. My daughter's friend said she didn't know her own birthday the other day, although I hope it's because she was just being shy. My daughter is in the gifted program but it only meets 1 hour a week. Class sizes are in the mid 20s.
forgeblast wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am
Kindergarten is a direct reflection on what they come in knowing. As they move through the grades that will change. If your happy with the school, if your happy with the staff and how they communicate with you then stay happy.
Thanks. How important do you think it is for a child in elementary school to be challenged? Is comparing EOG scores between schools a good way to compare the ability of kids between two different schools? I know there's a lot more to than test taking, but that's some of the only data I have on hand. Do most Kindergarten and elementary schools teach to the lowest level? I realize it's an extremely tough job especially with big class sizes but some kids are fluently reading, yet still get the same homework to practice - site word sheet with words like "the", "can", "you".
RickBoglehead wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 am
Our son skipped 6th grade. Yes, you can still skip grades.
I assume it worked out well for him. My daughter's school holds a fair amount of third graders back so I guess they still move up / hold back kids if that's best for the child.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am

hand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 am
Recognize that there’s a lot of daylight between school rankings and the specific educational experience an individual child will have at a given school.

School rankings are an imperfect general measure that may not even measure the criteria that are important to you.

Niche.com explains their rankings as follows (with an entire page of explanation of their process, but nothing but the following on actual ranking criteria):

“Families from every corner of America and every background use Niche to research schools, so our rankings are intended to be useful to a wide range of families and filterable by type and location. Our rankings strive to reflect the entire school experience, including academics, teachers, diversity, student life, and student outcomes.”

For the truly exceptional student, a strong core of high performing students and teachers in an “average” school may be more compelling than a school highly rated for student life, diversity and a higher number of AP classes than your student could ever take.

As an engaged parent, the job is to find the best school for your child, not the highest ranked school.
I agree. I'm looking beyond the rankings and at the statistics. The statistics aren't great but maybe others more familiar with school stats can say if they would be at all concerned:

EOG Math: 68
EOG Reading: 66
Economically disadvantaged: 38.3%
Retained in 3rd grade: 17%
One year teacher turnover: 24%

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:53 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Two things...

2) Don’t solve a problem you don’t have. Most schools are just fine for most kids, especially the kids whose parents care. If she isn’t challenged, or has some other problem, solve the problem when it happens.
x2

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:11 am

There aren't any privates around us and the charters are lottery based where you have to hit the jackpot to get in. I also don't think homeschooling is a great fit for us.
Jackpot? teachers at most charter schools (where I am) have no pedagogical training whatsoever. Same can be said for some (most) private schools (here).
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

LFS1234

Post by LFS1234 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:39 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Do some kids still skip grades and what are the pros / cons?
Cons: being a year behind everyone else in athletics, and hitting puberty a year after everyone else. Been there done that, wouldn't recommend it to others.

leeks

Post by leeks » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:57 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:48 am
My daughter is in the gifted program but it only meets 1 hour a week.
Ah, then one place to focus your advocacy might be on the expansion of this gifted program.

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
My Kindergartener often impresses people with how sharp she is...
My daughter enjoys being challenged so I wouldn't want her to be around a lot of peers that don't take school as seriously...
I don't want to boast but if you want me to give examples I can...
My daughter is in the gifted program...
This sounds like either a humble brag or a troll post.

Every single parent has a kindergartener who "often impresses people with how sharp he/she is."
And you're worried about your daughter being around other 5 YEAR OLDS who "don't take school as seriously"?
How does the school go about identifying which 5 year olds get to participate in the "gifted program"?

I would follow this simple advice...
Two things...

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:06 am

No expert here - but my opinion is that a very significant part (maybe the majority) of the ratings of "good schools" is that such schools have good and excellent students.

I also believe that as long as a school has a "critical mass" of enough good students, having more (or a lot more) does not make a difference for any given student.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am

These threads about moving for better school districts blow my mind. Do you honestly think a different elementary school is going to make any impact on the future of your daughter? Uprooting her from her current situation is likely going to have a greater negative impact. High school, maybe (and IMO, this is still a big maybe), elementary school: not a chance.

If you want to move, move, but getting into a better elementary school is an odd reason.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:19 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am
These threads about moving for better school districts blow my mind. Do you honestly think a different elementary school is going to make any impact on the future of your daughter? Uprooting her from her current situation is likely going to have a greater negative impact. High school, maybe (and IMO, this is still a big maybe), elementary school: not a chance.
If you want to move, move, but getting into a better elementary school is an odd reason.
In our locality, general consensus is that all the schools are good. There are three high schools, four middle schools, and several dozen elementary schools. When there was some kind of change in elementary school boundaries a few years ago, acquaintances of ours believed their sons' education in public schools merited their selling their house and buying another house in another elementary school attendance area. That had to be an expensive move! Did not and do not get it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:20 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 am

While we may think it "odd", it is very common.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:27 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
My oldest daughter is in Kindergarten and often impresses people with how sharp she is. Kindergarten has been great for her socially but her current school doesn't get the best ratings and has a large variation in performance.

We love where we live but the next district over has much better ratings and performance. The other town over is also significantly more expensive. For a similar set up we'd spend about $20-$30k more a year if we moved which we could easily afford, but it's a lot if we're moving just for a better school. There aren't any privates around us and the charters are lottery based where you have to hit the jackpot to get in. I also don't think homeschooling is a great fit for us.

My daughter enjoys learning and being challenged so I wouldn't want her to get bored and be around a lot of peers that don't take school as seriously.

Would love to hear from other parents and especially teachers on here -- how important is it for kids to be challenged in elementary school? Do some kids still skip grades and what are the pros / cons? There are lots of variables, but I'm curious to get feedback from others
You do not say how 'different' the school districts are in your area other than 'much better'.
So there is no possible way to give a decently valued answer
Where were are the districts vary greatly over a couple of dozen miles - from concerning statistics to nationally recognized leaderships schools.
With a range such as that it is often the case that folks move for the school district. There are typically other benefits of moving from a poorly rated district to a highly rated district. YMMV

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am

I think it is a waste of time to chase down school districts with better ratings.

The reality is, no matter what district, there will be years with better teacher and classmates and years with less than stellar teachers and classmates.

It is elementary school, so who really cares. The parents play a bigger part in child development, in my opinion anyways.

Districts also tend to cycle. That nicer district may fall off the mark by the time high school comes.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:05 am

runner3081 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41 am
I think it is a waste of time to chase down school districts with better ratings.

The reality is, no matter what district, there will be years with better teacher and classmates and years with less than stellar teachers and classmates.

It is elementary school, so who really cares. The parents play a bigger part in child development, in my opinion anyways.

Districts also tend to cycle. That nicer district may fall off the mark by the time high school comes.
I believe this is area specific and we do not know where the OP is located.
These two items....
"The reality is, no matter what district, there will be years with better teacher and classmates and years with less than stellar teachers and classmates."
"Districts also tend to cycle. That nicer district may fall off the mark by the time high school comes."
Are not accurate where we have lived these past years.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:08 pm

We purposely moved to the "better school district" as an alternative to private school. We overpaid for our house and our taxes are higher, but it will still be alot cheaper than if we sent them to private school. Money well spent IMO

GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:33 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:52 am

I agree. I'm looking beyond the rankings and at the statistics. The statistics aren't great but maybe others more familiar with school stats can say if they would be at all concerned:

I would be concerned with that 3rd-grade retention rate. It seems extremely high. What is the retention rate in the adjoining district?

Your daughter is unlikely to be retained, but that retention rate indicates that many students are experiencing academic difficulties, at least in terms of reading and possibly math. Most schools are not great at remedial education. That leaves a large group of poorly performing kids in each third-grade class and beyond with many students a year older than typical for students in that grade. It would also likely be associated with higher dropout rates down the line. Unfortunately, when schools have a large under-performing group, resources get funneled to help these students since this is the group that garners the harshest attention from state regulators. I would be surprised if significant and sustained funding or attention was made available for gifted students in this situation.

The teacher turnover is also about twice what I would expect in a stable system.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:06 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Agreed. Everyone thinks their kid is special and the truth is most aren't. My 1st grader is doing division and fractions and is the 99% in all the state exams. All this considering she missed being in KG by 3 weeks and is the youngest in her class. So she could have been doing all of this in KG if she wasn't born 6 weeks early. She isn't special either.

My barometer is unless a teacher or coach comes up to you and continuously calls and emails about your kid they aren't that special.

Having a happy kid who loves to learn is the most important thing. If your kid is flourishing in that environment that is great and wouldn't actively change anything.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:24 am

forgeblast wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:51 am
Thanks. How important do you think it is for a child in elementary school to be challenged? Is comparing EOG scores between schools a good way to compare the ability of kids between two different schools? I know there's a lot more to than test taking, but that's some of the only data I have on hand. Do most Kindergarten and elementary schools teach to the lowest level? I realize it's an extremely tough job especially with big class sizes but some kids are fluently reading, yet still get the same homework to practice - site word sheet with words like "the", "can", "you".

My first post was lost, so her we go again :)

How important do you think it is for a child in elementary school to be challenged? Do most Kindergarten and elementary schools teach to the lowest level?
I think its important, but not the end all. Kids are challenged everyday in elementary due to the added social "game" that they are dealing with. In our school we do differentiated learning with students in flexible groups (meaning they can move up and down between groups to get what they need.) This allows students to be challenged based on their levels.

Is comparing EOG scores between schools a good way to compare the ability of kids between two different schools? For me I would look at the growth that the school is achieving. PA is going to a more growth orientated way of assessing the schools. We want our kids irregardless of level to show growth. From our lowest achieving to our highest achieving they must show that they are growing/learning. Teacher turnover rate, when I taught in Raleigh NC, we would loose 3-4 teacher at our school before Christmas. After 3 years, we were considered a few of the most senior teachers. The school I am at now, there is very little turnover.

I realize it's an extremely tough job especially with big class sizes but some kids are fluently reading, yet still get the same homework to practice - site word sheet with words like "the", "can", "you".
This is where your at atm, Kindergarten (KG) is a baseline year. The data and growth that are collected during this year will help determine where and what groups students will be in. We had the same fears, but we supplemented the homework/classwork with things from teachers pay teachers. When in doubt supplement.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 am

GreenGrowTheDollars wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:33 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:

I would be concerned with that 3rd-grade retention rate. It seems extremely high. What is the retention rate in the adjoining district?

Your daughter is unlikely to be retained, but that retention rate indicates that many students are experiencing academic difficulties, at least in terms of reading and possibly math. Most schools are not great at remedial education. That leaves a large group of poorly performing kids in each third-grade class and beyond with many students a year older than typical for students in that grade. It would also likely be associated with higher dropout rates down the line. Unfortunately, when schools have a large under-performing group, resources get funneled to help these students since this is the group that garners the harshest attention from state regulators. I would be surprised if significant and sustained funding or attention was made available for gifted students in this situation.

The teacher turnover is also about twice what I would expect in a stable system.
The 3rd grade EOG in NC was a retention year, if they did not pass the 3rd grade EOG's they were retained no questions asked. This created a bit of a bottleneck at different grade levels. IF its high it could be due to that.
One year teacher turnover is high, your title one number(economically disadvantaged) is not too bad. The school I taught at in NC was 79%. Anything under 45% I would say is fine. Title one (Economically disadvantaged) is the number of free and reduced lunches aka poverty level of the students attending the school.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:33 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
hand wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:32 am

FWIW - a typical good district near us has these numbers.
Reading proficiency 99
Math proficiency 87
Economically disadvantaged 9
student teacher ratio 14:1
On time graduation rate 98

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:53 am

ThankYouJack wrote:

Every parent believe their kid is the smartest kid in elemantary school. Also, better in sports so they have to put them on travel team. I just asked my wife this question who is a teacher in elementary. She states its all about the teacher, not the school. You will get good and bad in both schools. Even in private. Some just feel they are getting a better education because they are paying more. Not true.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:12 am

indexonlyplease wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:53 am
ThankYouJack wrote:

Every parent believe their kid is the smartest kid in elemantary school. Also, better in sports so they have to put them on travel team. I just asked my wife this question who is a teacher in elementary. She states its all about the teacher, not the school. You will get good and bad in both schools. Even in private. Some just feel they are getting a better education because they are paying more. Not true.
"You will get good and bad in both schools. Even in private."
Again I am sure that this varies and is area specific but in our area the teachers are well above in the higher rated districts.
YMMV