Best enhancement for folks who work from home

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Iowa David

Best enhancement for folks who work from home

Post by Iowa David » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:15 pm

What enhancements (dual monitors, stand up desk, lighting, plants & misc) have you made to your home office set up that you highly recommend?
Last edited by Iowa David on Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

Trader Joe

Re: Best enhancement for folks who work from home

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:31 pm

Iowa David wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:15 pm
What enhancements (dual monitors, stand up desk, lighting, plants & misc) have made to you home office set up that you highly recommend?
None. Same set up as my previous office in our building.

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:40 pm

I think a lot depends on what work you do. I was in IT, and the following was important:

* High speed and reliable internet.
* Good computer (SSD drive) with dual monitor. Also a laser printer.
* Separate phone line just for work. Got a Plantronics wireless headset to allow me to move around the house
* A work desk with enough space to spread out printings, etc.
* If others at home (including dog), a quiet place to work, hopefully with a door.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 pm

OP,

1) Sit/stand DesK

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/prod ... /S59281814

2)Herman Miller Aeron Chair

3) Large monitor.

KlangFool

Ragnoth

Post by Ragnoth » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:52 pm

(1) large dual monitors;
(2) nice mechanical keyboard;
(3) reliable internet;
(4) quality computer/chair/desk.

I live in a small apartment and the neighbors can be a pain. It sounds sort of ridiculous, but I will shamelessly use noise-cancelling headphones or earplugs to drown out anything distracting.

For me it's always worth paying up for small comforts and quality of life improvements. If your going to be spending thousands of hours at your desk, I think it's well worth it to pay a few hundred here and there to make it as pleasant as possible.

Elric

Post by Elric » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Part-time consulting. Dual monitor, good lighting. I need to upgrade my chair.
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

prd1982

Post by prd1982 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:10 pm

Elric, from your picture, you are clearly set up properly for the END of the work day

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:20 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 pm
OP,

1) Sit/stand DesK

3) Large monitor.

KlangFool
Agree with all of the above but I run the following:
3 large monitors.
Jarvis sit stand
Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Logitech 950HD webcam.
High quality broadcast quality microphone.
Polycom speaker phone.
High quality Jura Capressa coffee maker

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:46 pm

bampf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:20 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:47 pm
OP,

1) Sit/stand DesK

3) Large monitor.

KlangFool
Agree with all of the above but I run the following:
3 large monitors.
Jarvis sit stand
Herman Miller Aeron Chair
Logitech 950HD webcam.
High quality broadcast quality microphone.
Polycom speaker phone.
High quality Jura Capressa coffee maker
bampf,

A) Could you please tell me which Polycom speaker phone?

B) Which microphone?

C) I run a long HDMI cable to my large screen PC when I am watching web seminar.

Thanks.

KlangFool

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:46 pm

bampf,

B) Which microphone?

C) I run a long HDMI cable to my large screen PC when I am watching web seminar.

Thanks.

KlangFool
I use the SoundStation2 Polycom. Don't use it a lot, but, nice when I need it. My Microphone is PVi100, which in retrospect isn't that great a mic, but, its better than what I was getting off the Logitech. I couple it with a mxl mic mate pro usb input. I have it n a 6 inch stand and use it to adjust when necessary.

I use three monitors because I am frequently on a video call, writing some code and or referencing a deck or other collateral. ITs overkill, but, I like it.

--Bampf

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm

bampf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:57 pm
KlangFool wrote:

bampf,

B) Which microphone?

Thanks.

KlangFool
I use the SoundStation2 Polycom. Don't use it a lot, but, nice when I need it. My Microphone is PVi100, which in retrospect isn't that great a mic, but, its better than what I was getting off the Logitech. I couple it with a mxl mic mate pro usb input. I have it n a 6 inch stand and use it to adjust when necessary.

I use three monitors because I am frequently on a video call, writing some code and or referencing a deck or other collateral. ITs overkill, but, I like it.

--Bampf
bampf,

1) You need something to support 3 monitors if you have a laptop. What is that? Or, you have a desktop with 3 video output?

2) I have 2 laptops with 4 monitors.

KlangFool

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:12 pm

Iowa David wrote:
What enhancements (dual monitors, stand up desk, lighting, plants & misc) have you made to your home office set up that you highly recommend?
Our home has large full size offices for both myself and DW. I have a Jarvis Stand Up Desk (terrific) and another wrap around desk on the other end of the room. I have a large photo editing monitor on the Jarvis and 1 MacBook. Then another MacBook on the wrap around desk.
DW has a large wrap around desk. Her photo editing monitor is enormous.

IMHO do whatever it takes to make it a perfect "place to be" because you spend so much time there.

A large cat tree near the window in the sunlight is also a very good piece of furniture to have. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 pm
bampf wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

bampf,

B) Which microphone?

Thanks.

KlangFool

--Bampf
bampf,

1) You need something to support 3 monitors if you have a laptop. What is that? Or, you have a desktop with 3 video output?

KlangFool
Chuckle. Yes, yes indeed you need something that will support that. I run a custom built (by me) water cooled rig with three m2 SSDs (yes, I have a bus extender), and an NVidea 1070 w/ an I7-6700 and 32GB of ram. I run water cooled because it is dead silent. I also have several laptops, about a dozen r-pi devices and other miscellaneous geekery. Its getting long in the tooth as a gaming/vr rig, but, it totally kicks but as a dev machine. I have the three monitors (32 center and 28 on the wings mounted on a three way uni-mount I got off Amazon. My desk is a jarvis frame and an Ikea conference table. It trumps anything I have ever run anywhere by an employer. I pretty much love my config.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:42 pm

bampf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:23 pm
KlangFool wrote:
bampf wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

bampf,

B) Which microphone?

Thanks.

KlangFool

--Bampf
bampf,

KlangFool
Chuckle. Yes, yes indeed you need something that will support that. I run a custom built (by me) water cooled rig with three m2 SSDs (yes, I have a bus extender), and an NVidea 1070 w/ an I7-6700 and 32GB of ram. I run water cooled because it is dead silent. I also have several laptops, about a dozen r-pi devices and other miscellaneous geekery. Its getting long in the tooth as a gaming/vr rig, but, it totally kicks but as a dev machine. I have the three monitors (32 center and 28 on the wings mounted on a three way uni-mount I got off Amazon. My desk is a jarvis frame and an Ikea conference table. It trumps anything I have ever run anywhere by an employer. I pretty much love my config.
bampf,

1) I have been looking for a good monitor mount. Which one do you use?

2) Do your monitors need to have some kind of support for this monitor mount?

Thanks again.

KlangFool

bampf

Post by bampf » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm

KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:42 pm
bampf wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
bampf wrote:
KlangFool wrote:

bampf,

B) Which microphone?

Thanks.

KlangFool

--Bampf
bampf,

KlangFool
bampf,

Thanks again.

KlangFool
Klang,

I like Mount-It! Triple Monitor Mount with USB Port, Height Adjustable 3 Monitor Arm Desk Stand for 24 27 30 32 Inch LED LCD Displays (MI-2753)
by Mount-It!

Works great. Your monitors need to support the mounting system. Most modern ones do. Comes with all the required screws...

-bampf

Rob1

Post by Rob1 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:18 pm

• Motorized sit/stand desk from IKEA. Much better than the $$$ desk from Design Within Reach I had before.
  • Invest in the best chair for you. I had a Herman Miller chair, but found it isn’t for me. Instead I use a cheep IKEA hydraulic stool that quickly adjusts its height.
  • Dedicate “Pro” scanner. I use a ScanSnap scanner by Fujitsu. Love it.
  • Lot of lighting. I use smart-home lights from Hue - so lighting can be adjusted - and a small desk lamp.
  • Larger external monitor, keyboard WITH keypad, trackpad/mouse. My setup is a MacBook Pro with a 5k monitor that is optimized for the MacBook Pro - so one cable charges and runs everything and the Mac better controls the monitor.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:26 pm

Iowa David wrote:
A decent desk, decent lighting and a comfortable chair are all I've ever needed.
Don't be a lemming.

calmaniac

Post by calmaniac » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:48 pm

1. Large monitor

2. PLANTRONICS HW720 EncorePro Premium Binaural Over-the-Head Headset w/Noise Canceling Microphone. I love handsfree. These are the Plantronics headset used in telephone call centers. The mike is highly directional and noise cancelling, so all it picks up is your voice. I have dogs at home and even though I can hear them off in the distance, the people on the other end do not hear the dogs. A speaker phone will do the exact opposite, pick up all the noise in an omnidirectional manner.

3. Aeron chair.

4. Back-up, back-up back-up. If you do not have redundant hard drive back-ups, you need to get to work. Information is power, not having a good back-up plan makes you weak.

5. Mid-day bike rides super-charge my work day.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:55 pm

1. Windows providing natural light during the day.
2. No disruptions.
3. No noise.
4. No commute.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
Iowa David

Post by Iowa David » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Now I am interested in seeing a pic of @bamph’s mission control set up!
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

dandinsac

Post by dandinsac » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:14 pm

These have been worth it for me:
- replaced ceiling light with a lighted ceiling fan with remote control.
- Husky adjustable workbench with wheels as my desk
- installed 4U rack that mounts under the workbench. Installed 1U power strip with outlets in back and front; 2U drawer that holds 5 port USB charger
- added adjustable / slide out keyboard/mouse tray
- Laptop with docking station with DisplayPort adapter with 2 HDMI outputs, connected to two 24” monitors on a stand.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:36 pm

bampf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:32 pm
KlangFool wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:42 pm
bampf wrote:
KlangFool wrote:
bampf wrote:

--Bampf
bampf,

KlangFool
bampf,

Thanks again.

KlangFool
Klang,

I like Mount-It! Triple Monitor Mount with USB Port, Height Adjustable 3 Monitor Arm Desk Stand for 24 27 30 32 Inch LED LCD Displays (MI-2753)
by Mount-It!

Works great. Your monitors need to support the mounting system. Most modern ones do. Comes with all the required screws...

-bampf
Thanks.

KlangFool

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:44 pm

I have a nice window with a lot of plants and orchids.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:22 pm

A great chair, for me it is a Herman Miller Executive Aeron. A quality executive size desk. A 36 inch high end monitor, high quality keyboard and mouse, along with powered port replicator. Macbook pro.

And when I was working always high end comm gear - speaker phone, headsets etc.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 am

Scansnap for convenient scanning of documents, particularly those requiring signature.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:20 am

Lots of mentions of the Herman Miller Aeron chair. It’s a spectacular chair and the one I have been using most recently.

In the past I have also used a Humanscale Freedom Chair which worked just as well as the aeron for me, maybe a bit better? It’s worth checking out, what I miss about that chair is that there were no manual adjustments, it basically moved with your body. The Aeron requires a bit more intervention. It’s not better or worse, just different.

coopermonster

Post by coopermonster » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:33 am

Here are the elements of my setup that I most recommend:

Desk: Ergo Elements Adjustable Height Standing Desk https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDQ7GZO/ The top is sold separately (which is what I wanted)... I ripped the top off my old desk to use with this one, but you can use any old door or table and just screw it to the legs. It’s incredibly robust and sturdy and I love the push button height selection w/ memory.

I then installed a 6’ long power strip on the back underside of the desk + a 1’ long power strip on the left underside and used wire-stays to keep all the wires out of the way; super clean and tidy look even when the desk is at max height.

Cushioned Mat: if you’re going to have a standing desk, you NEED a mat. I use William-Sonoma’s Wellness Mat and find it’s cushier and more comfortable than any I’ve tried:
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/produ ... lness-mat/

Chair: Haworth Fern executive chair; I sat in every damn chair on the market and while the Herman Miller Aeron was a close second, the Haworth Fern was just more comfortable, configurable, and supportive. Found one used (but barely) at a great price.

Lights: I have a lamp with philips hue bulbs + philips hue string lights on a book shelf. So nice to be able to dial the brightness up/down and find the right color and warmth.

Headphones: Apple AirPods. While these can’t compare to the sound quality of some wired headsets, they’re now all I use and I’ll never go back. So convenient and so nice not having wires in the way. I really, really hate wires.

Computer: I used to have multiple monitors but have consolidated down to one iMac 27”

Keyboard wrist pad: Fellowes memory foam wrist pad for use w/ keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0013CEY0Q/

Mouse wrist pad: Innovera gel mouse pad with wrist rest: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00134D3BA

Definitely add a couple of plants to your room and some flowers to your desk, if there’s room.

But the best upgrade was putting a dog bed next to the desk. Not only do I get to watch our dog sleep in all sorts of funny positions, but every hour or two he’ll decide it’s play time... and there’s no better excuse to take a break from sitting (or standing) than chasing a dog around the house.

zeal

Post by zeal » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:17 am

Favorite things in my office:

1) Large windows for natural lighting.
2) Enough desk space for monitor+laptop docking station and several sheets of paper.
3) Swiss ball so I'm always focused on good posture.
4) Bird clock that reminds me to get up and move around often. Volume set low enough not to distract during conference calls.
5) A door I can shut for privacy/focusing.

Other than that, I don't know if I need anything else other than high-speed internet (can't do my work without it so that's kind of a given). Maybe some plants if I start to burn out at some point.

JD Leonard

Post by JD Leonard » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:01 am

I suggest focusing on ergonomics. Do some online research into the correct positions/angles of limbs and eyes relative to chair, floor, desk, monitor, and keyboard. Sit-stand desk makes a huge difference. Sufficiently adjustable ergonomic chair. Floor mat for standing on (the Butterfly works well).

I'm a software developer, but I've never understood the fascination with multiple monitors. One large monitor works great and is more ergonomic (no twisting your neck or straining your eyes to the side).

Noise cancelling headphones are often handy.

Healthy food for meals and snacks.
Last edited by JD Leonard on Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
- JD Leonard

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:17 am

Our home office (full time teleworker):
Plenty of windows with great natural light.
Dual monitors
Sit/stand desks with treadmill and comfy chairs
A couch and separate table from our desks
Easy access to kitchen
Separation from most of the rest of the living areas
Gigabit fiber internet
Standard Cisco office phone and headset
Well trained dog

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 am

Iowa David wrote:

I work from home and have my desk Ikea Galant desk tops in a U shape around perimeter of room.IMO cant have too much desk top space .I would never use a traditional desk with attached pedestals again.I use dual monitors with Varidesk for sit to stand.Got rid of my Aeron chair because the hard edge cut of circulation to back of my leg.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:41 pm

I haven't worked from home full time in quite a while. It has been more 1-3 days a week in the last few years. I gave up (or rather stopped using) my home office a few years ago. I found I liked working at the kitchen island and being in the center of the house. If the doorbell rang or I wanted to get something to eat/drink or had time to fiddle with something non-work related I much preferred being there. I used a 17" laptop. It wasn't as ergonomically correct and I was slightly less productive (not having 2 screens), but I still preferred it. There typically isn't anyone around that would bother me (kids) and so it was easier to interact with spouse when they were around during the day also.

One single enhancement I couldn't live without is a headset for conference calls.

hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:53 pm

When I started WFH regularly, I decided to spend a bit more to have a really good setup. My two splurges were:
  • 38" ultrawide monitor (Dell U3818DW). I figured that I'd like it more than my old dual monitor setup, but I am surprised how much more quality of (work) life this brings to me. Erasing the center bezels is, at least to me, a really nice enhancement.
  • A really nice bluetooth headset from Jabra, the Evolve 75. Very comfortable, very little ear strain, great audio, useful features, solid connectivity and the noise-cancelling is really good. Not cheap at around $200, but worth it to me compared to most cheap USB headsets

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:19 pm

1. Replace those chair casters with in;one skate wheels.
https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-Cas ... B01CTIG4GE

2. Single room heat/cooling.
https://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/artic ... lit-system

3. Mr. Coffee mug hot plate. (others are rated higher, but I have 2 of these and they work very well- have for years).
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Coffee- ... B01M0RMNXH

4. Logitech mouse G600. Programmable (programming stored on mouse, can be used on multiple computers), very comfortable.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Backlit ... B0086UK7IQ
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 pm

PlayStation 4
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:42 am

I built a 2-level desk, and then hung a 49" 4k TV over it to use as a monitor. Made sure to choose one (mid-range Sony) that got excellent scores on rtings.com in the PC Monitor category. Absolutely love it. It's roughly equivalent to having four 24" 1080p monitors in a 2x2 layout, without the bezels. For conference calls I use a Plantronics Savi 440w one-ear wireless headset. I do need a new chair though, as mine is a high-end ergonomic chair that's 25 or so years old.

HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:34 am

55" 4k TV monitor.gets rid of bezels & gaps. Walking desk made from treadmill and Ikea desk top.

Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:09 am

those that work from home frequently, what field are you in?

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

njfastlife wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:09 am
Sales

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:23 am

Iowa David wrote:
My first priority was making my computer as quiet as possible. When I'm sitting alone in a quiet home office I don't want to listen to those fans and drives spinning all day. I replaced all of my hard drives with solid state drives (SSD's). I chose a fan-less video card. I chose the quietest power supply I could find. I installed a large CPU heat sink with the largest, quietest fans I could find. And finally I mounted the computer down low beneath my desk so it wasn't up near my ears.

Good lighting is a must. I replaced the ceiling light with a nice LED light, and installed LED under cabinet lighting. I also have a window to let in lots of natural light during the day (though it can be distracting to look outside at the trees and watching the squirrels, birds, and deer during the day. :) )

I added a second paper tray to my main printer so I can leave invoice forms in the tray and not have to feed forms every time I want to print. I also have a second color laser printer, which is nice if the first printer is out of paper, toner, etc.

I have a SnapScan scanner that really speeds up the scanning of documents, invoices, bank statements, etc. (though I try to get as many documents in electronic form to start with). I also have an Epson V500 flat bed scanner for photo's or documents that are too fragile to send through the SnapScan.

Obviously a comfortable chair is important, but I didn't go crazy on top of the line. I just found something comfortable at the local office supply and generally replace it every few years when it starts to wear down.

Taking time to set up your space for you makes a huge difference. Things like setting the desk height, chair height, monitor position, etc. so that it fits YOU. My computer and desk setup doesn't fit my wife very well since she is shorter, but it fits me perfectly. It's amazing how having to bend your neck just a little bit can leave you very uncomfortable at the end of the day.

Lots of organized storage so everything has a place and you can find it quickly when you need it. I have drawers for frequently used items like pens, scissors, stamps, mailing envelopes, etc. Overhead cabinets store my paper supplies, owners manuals, and numerous containers for things like USB cables, network cables, small computer parts, etc.

I also have a nice recliner in the corner of the room so my wife can come hang out with me while I'm working on the computer. Having quiet time to think is nice, but I don't always want to feel isolated in the office.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:10 pm

Bob Sacamano wrote:
Engineering / Legal

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:55 am

Bob Sacamano wrote:
IT Infrastructure

Stratotanker

Post by Stratotanker » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Fed Gov't Human Resources