Anyone looking to retire in FL?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sahilnmusic4

Anyone looking to retire in FL?

Post by sahilnmusic4 »

Living in CA, HCOL, dreaming of retiring in a no state tax place close to the water and FL comes to mind, dont mind the hot, humid months (have a condo overseas where DW and I can live for a few months during the hot summers if needed), looking into Sarasota/Tampa/St Pete area, would likely try renting for few months in FL after retirement which is many yrs away (!) before deciding an optimal location, any explants from North east/west coast retired in FL willing to share their experiences?
Last edited by sahilnmusic4 on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lewis Clark

Re: Anyone looking to retire in FL?

Post by Lewis Clark »

I have lived in the Tampa area about 15 years and plan to retire here.

If your retirement date is years away, I'd suggest planning a few long vacations in any areas you may be considering. This can help you choose a city, and a neighborhood within the city. Renting before buying when you eventually move may also be a good idea if your previous research left you with questions.

Lots to do in the Tampa Bay area, indoors and outdoors.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Like everything there are always pro's and con's and you need to decide what you can live with. I'm in South Sarasota for the first time renting to avoid Midwest winter. Weather is great, lots to do, beaches are not far away. But it's Snowbird season and very crowded, high rents and Traffic is horrible. Drivers are some of the worst I've seen, someone hit me in the parking lot my first month here and today someone turned into highway lane going about 10mph right in front of me, where traffic was going 50 (speed limit was 55). If car behind me hadn't seen them cutting into our lane and then turned onto shoulder they would probably rear-ended me because we had to stop/slow so suddenly. Florida is also #1 in US for cyclist/car fatalities.
So spend some time where you are thinking of moving to.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Anywhere but Florida.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Keep in mind traffic woes, rising housing costs, hurricanes etc. Insurance costs are very high. Big component of population is low income level, hence a burden on school system and tax payers.
kramer

Post by kramer »

I had thought about it but it's too cold for me in the winter. There seem to be many other negatives that folks have already mentioned in this thread. But all of these will have to be weighed against the positive things about a specific location there. Florida seems to be very complex and diverse and so the specific location you choose matters a lot.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

moneywise3 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:29 pm Keep in mind traffic woes, rising housing costs, hurricanes etc. Insurance costs are very high. Big component of population is low income level, hence a burden on school system and tax payers.
Florida is great for vacation every once in a while but I've no desire to move there when I retire, especially now that TX is building a big port in Galveston for cruise ships.

TravelforFun
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

sahilnmusic4 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 pm Living in CA, HCOL, dreaming of retiring in a no state tax place close to the water and FL comes to mind, dont mind the hot, humid months (have a condo overseas in Asia where DW and I can live for a few months during the hot summers if needed), looking into Sarasota/Tampa/St Pete area, would likely try renting for few months in FL after retirement which is many yrs away (!) before deciding an optimal location, any explants from North east/west coast retired in FL willing to share their experiences?
I am from NYC, lived in CA for decades (both North & South). Now call Miami home. It's cheap here in comparison to CA or NYC and that's before the tax savings. There is a reason though. Culture is sorely lacking. Barely a museum in sight of Miami, food is not close to the other spots (although the highest end restaurants do get you excellent food, the mid and low range options are sparse). Weather is fab except Aug/Sep and possibly July. Tampa/St Pete is nice but slow(er) but if that's what you seek then you may enjoy. Traffic is bad here but the same can be said for LA, Silicon Valley and NYC. Everyone always thinks traffic is worse where they are at that moment. There are no hills here, so no hiking, no trees, not much nature (unlike CA which is lovely). Of course, beaches here are excellent. Really depends on what you are seeking. Some love it - others find it lacking. It's a personal choice. But from a monetary standpoint you'll likely save some serious coin.
BH contest results: 2019: #233 of 645 | 18: #150 of 493 | 17: #516 of 647 | 16: #121 of 610 | 15: #18 of 552 | 14: #225 of 503 | 13: #383 of 433 | 12: #366 of 410 | 11: #113 of 369 | 10: #53 of 282
longleaf

Post by longleaf »

No need to wait for retirement to rent places. Preferably during a multitude of periods throughout the year to fully assess the area.
Frugality, indexing, time.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

FYI,

The article being discussed in this concurrent thread indicates Florida is the best state to retire to: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=277260
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Jim127

Post by Jim127 »

I would recommend traveling along both coasts of Florida to see what you like. We ended up buying a place in Naples and couldn't be happier.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

We like Florida a lot but it would be best if you do a bit of research prior to determining your preferred location.
Bedsides the items that you typically evaluate like traffic and adjacencies please consider researching these 3 items:
- hurricane affects (especially if your locations are near the coast)
- red tides
- sinkholes
Any of these can easily be researched online in quick fashion so that you are aware of the areas to avoid.
As one example only you can research the affects of a hurricane by using the new SLOSH map 2 here:
http://noaa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSer ... ad&entry=1

After you click on the maps link , then click on the USA map to get it loaded. Then hit the + button to enlarge the map and focus on your area(s) of intertest. You can then toggle the hurricane severity button to see what will happen in that area under various storms - I suggest that you at least consider a level 3 storm in your plans.
You can also do this type of risk/historical research on sinkholes and red tides prior to even visiting areas of interest.
Good luck and hope this helps
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I live in the midwest. My home is in a city that is almost perfect. The only problem is the weather. It mostly sucks- cold, wet, and cloudy far too often.

I'm flying to Florida in 2 weeks to check things out. SW Florida is my target area. Port Charlotte, Rotonda will be examined during this trip. I will likely make 4-6 trips over the next year or so.

Oppressive heat and humidity are no problem for me. Hurricanes don't concern me. Sinkholes are a non-issue. Red tide will have little impact on my decision.
Funding secured
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

delete
Last edited by Dave55 on Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Some general observations:
- It's hot most of the year
- It's very flat
- It's mostly sunny and always green with something colorful blooming
- If you have family that's far away they may not visit as much as you'd expect
- It's getting very crowded -- orchards, pastures, farms disappearing and you are generally car-reliant with increasingly crowded roads. Sustainability?
- If you move to LCOL area and later become disenchanted, it may be hard to move back unless you plan for that contingency.
- Fishing, boating, golfing, beaches, restaurants abound.
- Sarasota/Tampa area has lots of museums and theaters -- It's not NYC, but it is not a cultural desert.

Good luck and best wishes with your choice!
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

Some general observations:
- It's hot most of the year
- It's very flat
- It's mostly sunny and always green with something colorful blooming
- If you have family that's far away they may not visit as much as you'd expect
- It's getting very crowded -- orchards, pastures, farms disappearing and you are generally car-reliant with increasingly crowded roads. Sustainability?
- If you move to LCOL area and later become disenchanted, it may be hard to move back unless you plan for that contingency.
- Fishing, boating, golfing, beaches, restaurants abound.
- Sarasota/Tampa area has lots of museums and theaters -- It's not NYC, but it is not a cultural desert.

Good luck and best wishes with your choice!
midareff

Post by midareff »

Moved to Miami in 1964 to go to the U. Retired April 2012 and still live in Miami. We are not going anywhere it gets cold or to a state with a state income tax. Lots of good places to live in Miami.
Jim127

Post by Jim127 »

Dave55 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 am My brother just bought a house in Venice FL. and is moving there. He was tired of snow and cold.

Dave
We went up to Venice a few weekends ago for the art show. We really like the downtown area with the shops and restaurants. The great thing about living in SWFL is that you can get to a number of great destinations in a couple hours. From Naples, we can get to Miami/Ft. Lauderdale in about 2 hours, Tampa is just over 2 hours and we are only 30-40 minutes from Marco Island, Captiva and Sanibel. We are heading to the Keys in a few weeks. Key Largo is less than 3 hours away.

Before moving here, we did have some concerns about Hurricanes. We got our first experience with Irma. With the tough building standards, most homes did well down here. We did have to deal with the heavy traffic when trying to leave Florida and it did take a few weeks to get the area cleaned up. However, things were back to normal much quicker than I had anticipated.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

DanMahowny wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 am I live in the midwest. My home is in a city that is almost perfect. The only problem is the weather. It mostly sucks- cold, wet, and cloudy far too often.

I'm flying to Florida in 2 weeks to check things out. SW Florida is my target area. Port Charlotte, Rotonda will be examined during this trip. I will likely make 4-6 trips over the next year or so.

Oppressive heat and humidity are no problem for me. Hurricanes don't concern me. Sinkholes are a non-issue. Red tide will have little impact on my decision.
"Hurricanes don't concern me. Sinkholes are a non-issue. Red tide will have little impact on my decision."
Florida is a huge state - the point is that you can easily mitigate any of these issues prior to even looking.
Good luck with your search.