Shut off water before a vacation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eonny

Shut off water before a vacation

Post by eonny » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm

One worries about a flood in one's house during a vacation. Is there any downside to shutting off the water at the main shut off valve before starting your vacation? This would be during a vacation of a week to a week and a half.

tibbitts

Re: Shut off water before a vacation

Post by tibbitts » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:19 pm

eonny wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:14 pm
One worries about a flood in one's house during a vacation. Is there any downside to shutting off the water at the main shut off valve before starting your vacation? This would be during a vacation of a week to a week and a half.
Yes, at least if the valve is inside the house, like mine. When I used it for the first time in a while, it leaked... so I came back to a wet wall. Not a flood but it still did damage. Of course it didn't leak enough to notice right after turning the water off and leaving.

Turning the water off at the street would prevent that problem... but have you checked the amount of torque you need to turn that valve? My valve is new and ... wow you have to crank on that thing. Enough to break something? Maybe, maybe not, but think of what a mess it would be to have that break just as you need to head to the airport.

marcwd

Post by marcwd » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 pm

eonny wrote:
No, turning off the water is a reasonable thing to do. Only thing you might find is that your shut-off valve isn’t in good condition.

MP123

Post by MP123 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:29 pm

Not a bad idea but test it ahead of time. Gate valves in particular tend to leak vs ball valves if they haven't been exercised in a while. You don't want a plumbing emergency as you're running out the door to the airport.

Might as well shut off the water heater (electric) too.

Topic Author
eonny

Post by eonny » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:49 pm

marcwd wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:20 pm
eonny wrote:
No, turning off the water is a reasonable thing to do. Only thing you might find is that your shut-off valve isn’t in good condition.
I have a ball valve installed one year ago.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm

I go away for a month every year for the past 14 yrs, I always turn off the water at the meter.
I also turn off the hot water heater, as a side note.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:40 pm

Good idea. Try working the valve in advance to see if it needs convincing. A better idea is to call the water company and ask them to shut off their valve (if they do it for free). Or ask them if you have permission to, if not.

In reality, I think the chances of a burst pipe while away are low unless your heater fails in cold weather (if applicable).
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

sport

Post by sport » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 am

I found that turning off the water caused the ice maker in the fridge to jam up. It took quite some time for it to free itself. So, now we turn off the ice maker before we turn off the water. This seems to have eliminated the problem.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 am

I guess this does not apply, but here in SoCal, most shut water off for th house but leave irrigation and pool water supplies on.

Most modern houses have main line water split into three feeds for this.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 am

I don't shut off the water because I need it for lawn & garden, which runs on a timer. You definitely need to shut off hot water in case of a leak, if it runs out of water you can fry the tank.

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:18 am

We always close off water main valve ... "Failure of the plumbing supply system is the #1 cause of non-weather-related water losses" from Chubb.
https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individuals-families/water/

I have investigated remote or automatic water shutoff valves, but have not seen a reliable and reasonable solution yet. Maybe someone has found a nice solution ?

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 am

We always shut off at the main now while away. One year we took a vacation for a week and when we returned we found our kitchen and part of the family room with a layer of water on it. After clean up, I found the source of the leak, a mouse chewed through the supply line to the dishwasher. Never expected that, so ever since the water gets turned off.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:39 am

Smoke wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:01 pm
I go away for a month every year for the past 14 yrs, I always turn off the water at the meter.
I also turn off the hot water heater, as a side note.
I also turn off the gas water heater. If the water heater starts leaking and there is no water coming into it, what happens with the pilot light being on?
Is there a high limit safety that would shut the heater off if temp rose too high. I know there is a temp/pressure relief valve but that serves a different purpose.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 am

I shut off water to the house, electricity to the hot water heater and shut off the ice maker/empty the ice.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:56 am

Yes turn off water. My friend last year left to his vacation house for one month last year. He daughter checked on the house every week. On the 3 week she found water all over the floors. The attachment to the toilet broke and flooded the house. Lots of damage to home.

I installed a ball valve outside to turn water off when I go on vacation. Unless someone is staying here.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:42 am

We have full flow quarter turn ball valves installed on the exterior of our main house and weekend house. Always turn them off when we leave overnight. Been doing this for 15 years with no issues....

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 am

Well it certainly depends. We like to go away in the winter. If we shut the water off we’d have no heat. We like to keep the house at 60 degrees even if we are not there because of our piano doesn’t like extreme changes in temperature and also just less wear and tear on the interior. If you disappear for a week or two when its 15 degrees out and have no heat well imagine how cold your house will be when you return.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:49 am

I have 9 rental properties and I will say that easily 60-70% of my calls from tenants would be some type of water related matter. Sink drain leaks are the most common.

I actually have a "water key" in my car at all times. The T looking metal tool that I use to turn water off at the street.

Agree...turn it off at the street. If for some reason your shut off at the house looks dodgy, I would suggest getting a plumber to replace it with a new ball valve shutoff. Cost for something like that around here would be $200 to $400.

By code, there should be a water shutoff within a few feet of the water entrance to the house. Make sure you have good access to that, also. Some of the rental houses I have are from the 1950s and the shutoff is way, way under the crawlspace not very accessible.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

I always turn the water off and turn off the gas water heater.

Once I plumbed in a permanent connection of the refrigerator ice maker line in the basement instead of the leaky saddle valves that usually come with them. The next day I went to work and happened to mention it to a friend who wanted to see what I used to reduce down to the ice maker line because he had the same problem with saddle valves leaking. After work we were just standing there talking and looking at it when one of the fittings popped off, shot across the room with a gush of water following it. I quickly turned off the water. The cause was I had forgotten to glue one joint. I shudder to think what would have happened had it done that the minute I left for work. I think of that every time I turn the water off before leaving for vacation.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:56 am

I don't turn off the water (maybe I should?) but I do have a Rainsoft water softener system in my house that I started using the vacation setting on. It stops the water softener from running when I know I won't be running water in the house for an extended period of time.

-B

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:07 am

I have a well and find it easier to just throw the breaker for the well pump.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:15 am

Wife was able to locate the entrance of water line at our home. All we had to do is dig where the water was shooting up from a cut made when she was digging up a plant. :oops:

When I was younger went on vacation with family, came home to see water all over floors, toilet issue did us in. I'm pretty sure my dad turned off the water and water heater when leaving for vacations the rest of his life. Probably the smart thing to do, though realistically same damage could occur while one is out to a game, movie, etc.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 am

We also shut off the water before leaving on trips.

One thing I to add though: a plumber me to turn a faucet on after shutting off the water to bleed off pressure still in the lines, so now I do that too.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am

I also turn off the water at the basement water meter and turn off the hot water heater when gone.

What do you keep the house temperature at when you are gone for an extended period of time in the winter?

I keep it at 50F and keep an eye on it with interior Wyze video camera pointing to a digital thermometer with the house and freezer temperature. One of the thermometer has a remote temperature sensor that is located in the refrigerator freezer. I have the cameras in 3 places including in the basement next to the water meter all with a digital thermometer within view of the cameras. Should the heater or refrigerator stop working I will know. I also have a neighbor check the interior about every 10 days. I live in the Philadelphia area so it does get cold.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 am

caffeperfavore wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 am

One thing I to add though: a plumber me to turn a faucet on after shutting off the water to bleed off pressure still in the lines, so now I do that too.
I also suggest you open a small bleed on both hot and cold water systems when turning the water supply back on. That way you can avoid a sudden spike in pressure on your pipes when you return, and also facilitate bleeding air from your system.

queso

Post by queso » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:41 am

+1 to turning it off. Came back from a vacation once and was standing in water. Now I always turn off the main and put the gas water heater on the pilot setting if we are gone overnight.

mhc

Post by mhc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 am

I turn off the water, hot water heater, and ice maker.

Right after my main shutoff in the house the pipe tees. One leg going to the house and one leg going to the sprinkler system. I have a shutoff for everything and individual ones for the house and sprinkler. All ball valves. If I need to keep the sprinkler going, I only shutoff the house.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:43 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 am
Well it certainly depends. We like to go away in the winter. If we shut the water off we’d have no heat. We like to keep the house at 60 degrees even if we are not there because of our piano doesn’t like extreme changes in temperature and also just less wear and tear on the interior. If you disappear for a week or two when its 15 degrees out and have no heat well imagine how cold your house will be when you return.
Why would you have no heat? If you have HW baseboard, that is a separate system from the rest of your domestic hot water, usually with a backflow preventer . There is a remote possibility your system may need occasional "make up" water which is why it has a cold water feed. And the boiler will usually shut down if there is low water which of course is a major problem if its 15 degrees or lower.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 am

Only during the winter. I turn off the furnace humidifier. I don't shut off the hot water heater because its gas and I'd rather not mess with it. If it was electric I would at least dial it down to the lowest setting or maybe turn it off.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:53 am

Absolutely shut off the water main when going on vacation!

I have had 2 separate houses with interior leaks. The first one had a very inconvenient shut off valve in the crawlspace. This leak was caused by a frozen pipe in the dead of winter when the heater stopped working. Soon after that leak, I had a new water main shut-off ball valve installed in a first floor closet in a convenient location.

The second house had a leak from a toilet that caused $14,000 of damage. The plastic nut that connects the water supply line to the toilet broke. We were fortunately home at the time, and I estimate that that leak was active for about only 5 - 10 minutes.

If you are reading this, ask yourself if you know where your water main shut-off valve is located. If you can't find it, call a plumber. Once the water starts gushing through the finished portion of your house, you will want to be able to shut off the flow immediately.

caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:06 am

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 am
caffeperfavore wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:20 am

I also suggest you open a small bleed on both hot and cold water systems when turning the water supply back on. That way you can avoid a sudden spike in pressure on your pipes when you return, and also facilitate bleeding air from your system.
Thanks for the tip!

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:11 am

We probably should but have never done it. However, we have our son drop by and check our house while we are gone.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am

How many people flip the shut off valve on washing machines between use? Todays braided hoses are better than the old rubber ones but they still can break and flood the area.

Topic Author
eonny

Post by eonny » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am

Thanks all. I have a vacation mode on my hot water heater, I use this instead of shutting off. Seems no downside to shutting off my water, given the shut off valve is in good shape.

mpnret

Post by mpnret » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 am

Skiandswim wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:18 am
We always close off water main valve ... "Failure of the plumbing supply system is the #1 cause of non-weather-related water losses" from Chubb.

I have investigated remote or automatic water shutoff valves, but have not seen a reliable and reasonable solution yet. Maybe someone has found a nice solution ?
Guardian looks interesting. https://www.getguardian.com/
Costco sells them.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:52 am

mpnret wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:46 am
Skiandswim wrote:

Costco sells them.
That's nice!

I've looked at the Phyn water detection system as well. But it's $850. https://www.phyn.com/

Phyn will actually identify all the fixtures in your house by the unique water hammer (vibration of water after an immediate shutoff)....and then tell you if any of your fixtures are using larger than normal amounts of water. (In addition to being a shutoff system)

I think it also tracks usage by fixture...so you could go to your kids and be like, "Hey...last month you used 2000 gallons of water in the shower!"

queso

Post by queso » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:59 am

pshonore wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am
How many people flip the shut off valve on washing machines between use? Todays braided hoses are better than the old rubber ones but they still can break and flood the area.
I don't, but have a leak detection system that would alert me via email/smartphone if a leak occurred. Depending on how far away from home I was I would either race home or call a neighbor to shut off the water. On vacation or away for the night I don't always have access to email/smartphone and don't want to call neighbors in the middle of the night, etc. so I turn the water off.

researcher

Post by researcher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:01 am

eonny wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:28 am
Thanks all. I have a vacation mode on my hot water heater, I use this instead of shutting off. Seems no downside to shutting off my water, given the shut off valve is in good shape.
There is absolutely no downside.

I would definitely shut the water off anytime you will be away from home for more than 24 hours.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

Only if it not May-Sept where I need it on for my sprinklers which are on a timer. I put the gas hot water heater to vacation mode.

Maybe I am paranoid, but I also put the manual lock (bar that goes through the frame) on the garage door.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:27 am

pshonore wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am
:thumbsup
Every time.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:35 am

A cautionary tale. If and when you close your water main turn the handle slowly and back it off a few times as you close the valve. If you have not operated the valve in a few years corrosion and debris can build up in the mechanism and it might just break in the closed position.
Also, try closing the valve days before you leave in case you need to call a plumber.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am

TLC1957 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:22 am
I have the cameras in 3 places including in the basement next to the water meter all with a digital thermometer within view of the cameras.
An easier and cheaper way to do the same thing is to just use a smart thermostat with internet connection. I can see the temperature of my home anywhere with my phone and a cell signal. I think some can be programmed to alert you if the temperature dips below a threshold so you don't have to monitor it continuously.

xb7

Post by xb7 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 pm

My thanks for this thread --- I have an upcoming trip, and turning off the water had NOT been on my checklist. Now it is. I just ordered a 'T' handled shutoff tool, and read through the steps to turn back ON my gas water heater after I'm back home. Good stuff. I definitely will go through a practice run well before the trip.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:14 pm

We had a flood about 12 years ago. A fitting came loose under our kitchen sink. I know, pretty odd. We had gone away overnight. Got a call the next morning from our neighbor who had come over to check on our dog. $20K+ in damage. Big, big pain :x :(

So, if we're gone overnight...

We shut off at inside valve. Turn hot water heater down to vacation.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am
TLC1957 wrote:
I have the cameras in 3 places including in the basement next to the water meter all with a digital thermometer within view of the cameras.
An easier and cheaper way to do the same thing is to just use a smart thermostat with internet connection. I can see the temperature of my home anywhere with my phone and a cell signal. I think some can be programmed to alert you if the temperature dips below a threshold so you don't have to monitor it continuously.
Does your smart thermostat give you a video of who is in your home...lol $25 video camera you get 2 for one an eye on the temperature and who just came into your home. Oh yea does your web connected thermostat tell you if your refrigerator just died??

Post by 2015 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 am
Only during the winter. I turn off the furnace humidifier. I don't shut off the hot water heater because its gas and I'd rather not mess with it. If it was electric I would at least dial it down to the lowest setting or maybe turn it off.
I also have gas. Wouldn't the benefit of turning off the gas valve at the HWH be to mitigate explosion/fire during, say, an EQ? I don't know which is why I'm asking.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:38 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:15 pm
lthenderson wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:51 am
TLC1957 wrote:
Does your smart thermostat give you a video of who is in your home...lol $25 video camera you get 2 for one an eye on the temperature and who just came into your home. Oh yea does your web connected thermostat tell you if your refrigerator just died??
As long as those intruders are in the basement next to the water meter and digital thermometers. My point isn't about how useful video cameras can be at doing other tasks. My point was that monitoring the interior temperature of a house can be done easier and cheaper.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm

2015 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:20 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:52 am
I also have gas. Wouldn't the benefit of turning off the gas valve at the HWH be to mitigate explosion/fire during, say, an EQ? I don't know which is why I'm asking.
Might be if that’s a concern where you are. I worry more about losing power and burst pipes in the winter.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:55 pm

mpnret wrote:
Skiandswim wrote:

Costco sells them.

Guardian does look interesting. Have any Bogleheads reading this thread purchased this? I am thinking about it.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:18 pm

mpnret wrote:
Skiandswim wrote:

Costco sells them.
The problem with this is you have to put sensors everywhere. We have a www.flologic.com system in our condo. It detects leaks by watching the water flow and shutting it off if it thinks there's a leak. We've have a few false positives, but that's OK with us.