Upgrading iPhone 5S to SE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
michaelingp

Upgrading iPhone 5S to SE

Post by michaelingp »

I have an iPhone 5S on Verizon. If I buy a used iPhone SE on eBay, will it take any more than moving the SIM card to the new phone to make it work? I tried contacting Verizon, but they wouldn't give me technical information, just wanted to sell me a phone.
anil686

Re: Upgrading iPhone 5S to SE

Post by anil686 »

No I don't believe so - I have upgraded from SE and 5 to 6/7/X and that is all that is required. Hope it helps...
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Why bother with a used phone on Craigslist, you can buy a new 32gb model on Apple right now on clearance. This isn't a used phone it's new, they're clearing out stock. Just use the drop down for 32gb at $250 or 128gb at $300.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MP7X ... y-unlocked
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

5S to SE won't feel like much of an upgrade. I would minimally go to a 7 or 8. I know the size is a bit bigger. More $ too.

You back up your current 5S in iTunes. When the new phone arrives, insert the SIM and get the phone activated. Sign in with your Apple ID.

Then hook up to iTunes. It will recognize the new device. Now, restore the backup you just took from your 5S.

It will restore and the install all the apps you had on your previous phone.

Be very careful with phones from eBay. Check the IMEI for being black listed. A common scam is the person sells the phone, then reports it stolen. The carrier blacklists the phone. There is no way to know by looking at a phone. I'm a proponent of used phones, but it is a dirty world out there with people scamming insurance and other people.

You can get a new 6S at Total Wireless for $149. Reconditioned for $99. 7 is $299.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
RMD3819

Post by RMD3819 »

I have done this upgrade except it was ATT and I bought a new phone from Apple.

The SE must be compatible with Verizon and then only the SIM must be switched along with signing off/on iCloud.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

No, just make sure it's a Verizon phone. It might even work with unlocked non-Verizon phones, but less certain (if you're still in a CDMA dependent area as it's being phased out). Do you always see LTE or 4G next to your wireless signal level?

What's wrong with the 5S what you're trying to fix? The SE is a great little phone, but small improvement over the 5S.
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

I too would skip the SE. It's too old at this point. Go for at least the 7.

(I have an SE and love it, but I wouldn't buy it today).
Topic Author
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

OP here:

The 5S is great, I love it, but it's only 16 GB. The ads for used 5S with more storage have a scary message that Verizon won't activate them (although they did my 5S). The SE is the same size, I can get it relatively cheaply, and no scary messages.

On the Apple clearance, great find, thanks, but it now says "unavailable".

The only issue I have with the 5S is I can't get all my music on it. If I add one album, I have to remove another. I suppose a true BH would live with it, but if I can upgrade for little $$ I may splurge.

I suppose I should ask what is the sweet spot (best value for the money) in iPhones?
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 pm You back up your current 5S in iTunes. When the new phone arrives, insert the SIM and get the phone activated. Sign in with your Apple ID.

Then hook up to iTunes. It will recognize the new device. Now, restore the backup you just took from your 5S.

Assuming you have enough iCloud space, I would recommend backing up your phone to iCloud and restoring from there. I haven't backed up to iTunes since iCloud backups were implemented. If you aren't backing up to iCloud automatically (it will back up every day if you phone is charging and asleep - typically overnight if you charge overnight), I recommend you do so. You don't want something to happen to your phone (lost, broken, etc) and realize that you never backed up or backed up days, weeks, or months ago. Making it automatic means you don't have to think about, it just gets done.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

I would go for 128GB if you like having albums on your phone. I went from a 32GB SE (loved that phone) to a 256GB XS (love this phone, too). 32GB was always not enough for me, and I don't download a lot of music. Pics/vids and texts always kept me on my toes deleting stuff to make sure my phone didn't run out of storage. Apple knows 64GB is probably not good for future-proofing yourself, which is why they go from 64 to 256 GB now. I have no issues with storage now, and have downloaded every movie/TV show we own onto my phone for the fun of it.

You might be able to get the T-Mobile 128GB SE from clearance and activate on Verizon. I have no idea if that will work, however, so don't take my word for it.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
strbrd

Post by strbrd »

I completely endorse upgrading from the 5s to the SE, which I just did a month ago when the SE went on clearance. If you like the 5s in terms of physical size, the SE is the only comparable replacement. It works faster than the 5s and all my apps work again (for now). Although Apple sold the SE unlocked, you cannot assume that an SE you find on ebay will necessarily be compatible with Verizon. I initially bought an allegedly TMobile compatible SE from Gazelle, and luckily I was able to return it when it didn't work. Buy somewhere where you can return if necessary. Here's a good video review from a 2019 perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEkGJB7CLXQ
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

After more than five years, I finally upgraded from an Apple 5 to a refurbished 7 directly from Apple. My old 5 couldn't take system updates anymore and some new apps wouldn't work. The refurbished 7 from Apple was unlocked; I just backed up the 5 on my desktop, moved the SIM from the 5 to 7, then restored onto the 7 from the desktop. It was very easy. Great economical upgrade; prices and availability from Apply vary a bit. And the refurbished 7 has a one year warranty from Apple, with two years added thanks to my Costco Citi Visa.
Beach

Post by Beach »

I have a 64mb SE, going to hang onto it as long as possible. Love the smaller size
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

wageoghe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:05 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:09 pm You back up your current 5S in iTunes. When the new phone arrives, insert the SIM and get the phone activated. Sign in with your Apple ID.

Assuming you have enough iCloud space, I would recommend backing up your phone to iCloud and restoring from there. I haven't backed up to iTunes since iCloud backups were implemented. If you aren't backing up to iCloud automatically (it will back up every day if you phone is charging and asleep - typically overnight if you charge overnight), I recommend you do so. You don't want something to happen to your phone (lost, broken, etc) and realize that you never backed up or backed up days, weeks, or months ago. Making it automatic means you don't have to think about, it just gets done.
Yes. I thought iCloud backup (should be on all the time) might introduce another topic that would just confuse the steps.

iTunes/local backup is not required. But, if you do it, you are assured your old phone is backed up. If iCloud backup is off or there isn't enough space.

We pay $2.99 for backup space to back up all 5 iphones and 5 ipads. Just in case.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
MichCPA

Post by MichCPA »

PugetSoundguy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:10 pm After more than five years, I finally upgraded from an Apple 5 to a refurbished 7 directly from Apple. My old 5 couldn't take system updates anymore and some new apps wouldn't work. The refurbished 7 from Apple was unlocked; I just backed up the 5 on my desktop, moved the SIM from the 5 to 7, then restored onto the 7 from the desktop. It was very easy. Great economical upgrade; prices and availability from Apply vary a bit. And the refurbished 7 has a one year warranty from Apple, with two years added thanks to my Costco Citi Visa.
The product page for the Costco Visa says that used items aren't covered. Have you tried to use it before on a refurb?

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx Scroll to bottom choose guide to protection benefits and see page 21.
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

You can get a new SE with 60 days service and activation from Tracfone for $175. Fine for light usage and you can buy time, data and texts as needed. I love it for the size and light weight...and it's fast.
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

MichCPA wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:28 pm
PugetSoundguy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:10 pm After more than five years, I finally upgraded from an Apple 5 to a refurbished 7 directly from Apple. My old 5 couldn't take system updates anymore and some new apps wouldn't work. The refurbished 7 from Apple was unlocked; I just backed up the 5 on my desktop, moved the SIM from the 5 to 7, then restored onto the 7 from the desktop. It was very easy. Great economical upgrade; prices and availability from Apply vary a bit. And the refurbished 7 has a one year warranty from Apple, with two years added thanks to my Costco Citi Visa.
The product page for the Costco Visa says that used items aren't covered. Have you tried to use it before on a refurb?

https://www.cardbenefits.citi.com/Produ ... ranty.aspx Scroll to bottom choose guide to protection benefits and see page 21.
I had the same question. I found somewhere on the website that manufacturer refurbished items were covered, so long as there was a manufacturers warranty I believe. I will find the exact language and post it.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

This is the upgrade that I did a few years ago.
I wanted to use Apple Pay AND I prefer a smaller phone.
For me, it was a smart move.

Buy an iPhone SE from https://buy.gazelle.com/collections/iph ... Phone%20SE
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

michaelingp wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pmThe only issue I have with the 5S is I can't get all my music on it. If I add one album, I have to remove another. I suppose a true BH would live with it, but if I can upgrade for little $$ I may splurge.

I suppose I should ask what is the sweet spot (best value for the money) in iPhones?
There are many sweet spots. The 5S is a total bargain and usable phone with latest iOS version. If memory is the only issue, delete or offload unused apps, offload your photos and especially videos. Do you really listen to all that music? You can probably delete half of it if you really tried. Also, how much data service do you have? These days, it's all about streaming. https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/7/15752 ... ges-photos https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/save-s ... ce-ios-11/

If you're tied down to the small size, then the SE is another sweet spot. A little faster, not too costly, and might have longer potential to stay up to date with next iOS update. Still, there are constant rumors of SE2, which I hope does come true, and if a 5S is getting you through, you might wait for that.

If size isn't an issue, then the iPhone X can be had for around $600, which gives you almost the latest and greatest for a fraction of the price. On a budget, the 6S can be had for as low as $150 (though if you really want more storage, you could spend a little more for it), and is a few steps up from the 5S. Also, for not much more the 7 gives you the next fastest processor and waterproof, but takes away the headphone jack.