router internet parental controls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:47 pm

My older kid (10yo) is fast becoming active on internet and I realized that email spam he started to get includes ads for adults sites. He is not intentionally looking for the content, and showed me what he got himself reacting with indignation, I have access to all of his accounts (that I know of :)) but he is curious one and it is the best to remove the temptation altogether to the degree possible. He has several wireless tablets, helps his younger brother with his tablets, we have laptops, ipads, etc at home as well, and due to his computer savy and desire to learn the technology I can no longer use Parental Control apps on his and his brother devices like I did when they were young. So what I really want is to sanitize network connections on router level, similar to how most companies handle it nowadays.

I am myself in IT, so did not expect problems originally--went to Parental Control section of my Nighthawk R6700 wireless router that served me fo many years hoping to simply enable it there (there is Disney Circle and OpenDNS types of Parental Controls built in) and realized that it simply does not work at all or does not work reliably. After re-installing firmware, trying older version of firmware, upgrading to new version at firmware, looking at forums--took hours--it still does not work. The router is a few years old and I doubt that tech support I would now have to pay for would help to make Parental Controls on it work reliably. Also, there is a section in router config that allows to specify DNS server, both primary and secondary, but as far as I can tell from dnsleaktest.com results it simply does not work consistently --I tried both OpenDNS and CleanBrowsing (which I prefer as it appears to be superior in the quality of filtering and difficulty of penetration per many reviews).

Now I am thinking I should get a new router with reliable Parental Controls ASAP, and being boglehead I'd much prefer a device that would not require monthly subscription fees to enable Parental Control on it. I am guessing that many folks on the forum had to deal with the same issue and I would appreciate to learn what/which you found to work reliably to filter out adult sites (at a minimum) for the entire house worth of devices.

I have a few other important things I look for in a router: I need minimum of 4 wired ethernet connections for my wired devices, usb3 connection for portable USB drive so that I can keep backup of all devices in the house on it, built-in FTP server so that I can connect to the portable drive remotely, ability to turn off/on wi-fi on schedule since I shut it down for the night, and ideally also mechanical switch to turn wireless on and off. R6700 gives me all of it and that's why I was happy with it. But most of modern devices are also likely to have all of that, perhaps short of wifi switch.

Of course if someone was successful in resolving Netgear R6700 router DNS/Parental Control issues, I'd be very interested as well since it is really a good device otherwise.

I would really appreciate your help/advice with this as I have to move fast on it I think.

inbox788
Posts: 6575
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:24 pm

serbeer wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:47 pm
Netgear R6700 router DNS/Parental Control issues, I'd be very interested as well since it is really a good device otherwise.
No personal experience with Netgear R6700, but in general, have you rebooted the devices so hey pick up new DNS servers?

Do some devices get filtered while other not? Might be the device settings. If all devices get thru, then router settings are likely the issue.

List IP address of a couple of the DNS servers from the devices. If the devices uses the router IP for DNS, then it will use whatever the router has as default. What is the DNS server IP address of the router?

Look for 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220 for OpenDNS and 185.228.168.9, 185.228.168.10 or 185.228.168.168 for CleanBrowsing.

Ricola
Posts: 668
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:38 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by Ricola » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:30 pm

Best solution I found was Router Limits with or without a subscription, your choice.

bryanm
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by bryanm » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:43 pm

Have you considered a UTM appliance? You don't even need to change your router--just have a UTM machine somewhere and configure the router to pass all traffic through the UTM. I use Sophos UTM, which is free for home use (it's running on a VM in my server). It's a small business grade solution, and has been rock solid for me. I would consider it too complicated for a typical user, but someone in IT shouldn't have problems. It should be able to route to CleanBrowsing, and it can also do DPI (need to install a trusted cert on clients to make this work for HTTPS). Even has a pre-existing filter for "explicit content" that is maintained by Sophos. You also get a web console where you can monitor browsing activity.

It may be overkill, but if you want true control over your network it's what I recommend. (Open source alternatives, like pfsense, exist. I prefer to more polished look of Sophos. It's nice to get a subscription-grade experience without the subscription.)

Edit to add: if you're looking for a more pure router, I would look at SMB-grade solutions to avoid the stability/reliability issues that come with more complicated configurations on most consumer-grade routers. Ubiquiti is awesome. To get the functionality you need, you may need to roll a separate router and AP. I went to a Ubiquiti solution for my AP a couple years ago and it's been fantastic.

wsiddiqi
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:46 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by wsiddiqi » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:09 pm

HI OP

I am in the same quandry right now. I have Apple Airport Extreme right now and it doesnt have very good parental control.
The only thing it has of any use is ability to enforce start/end time for internet access during the day.
What have you tried? A friend recommended Google wifi and doign a search on the internet leads me to the lifewire article from which I see the linksys router which is reasonably priced.

Any other recommendations?

investor4life
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by investor4life » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 pm

serbeer wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:47 pm
My older kid (10yo) is fast becoming active on internet and I realized that email spam he started to get includes ads for adults sites. He is not intentionally looking for the content, and showed me what he got himself reacting with indignation, I have access to all of his accounts (that I know of :)) but he is curious one and it is the best to remove the temptation altogether to the degree possible. He has several wireless tablets, helps his younger brother with his tablets, we have laptops, ipads, etc at home as well, and due to his computer savy and desire to learn the technology I can no longer use Parental Control apps on his and his brother devices like I did when they were young. So what I really want is to sanitize network connections on router level, similar to how most companies handle it nowadays.

I am myself in IT, so did not expect problems originally--went to Parental Control section of my Nighthawk R6700 wireless router that served me fo many years hoping to simply enable it there (there is Disney Circle and OpenDNS types of Parental Controls built in) and realized that it simply does not work at all or does not work reliably. After re-installing firmware, trying older version of firmware, upgrading to new version at firmware, looking at forums--took hours--it still does not work. The router is a few years old and I doubt that tech support I would now have to pay for would help to make Parental Controls on it work reliably. Also, there is a section in router config that allows to specify DNS server, both primary and secondary, but as far as I can tell from dnsleaktest.com results it simply does not work consistently --I tried both OpenDNS and CleanBrowsing (which I prefer as it appears to be superior in the quality of filtering and difficulty of penetration per many reviews).

Now I am thinking I should get a new router with reliable Parental Controls ASAP, and being boglehead I'd much prefer a device that would not require monthly subscription fees to enable Parental Control on it. I am guessing that many folks on the forum had to deal with the same issue and I would appreciate to learn what/which you found to work reliably to filter out adult sites (at a minimum) for the entire house worth of devices.

I have a few other important things I look for in a router: I need minimum of 4 wired ethernet connections for my wired devices, usb3 connection for portable USB drive so that I can keep backup of all devices in the house on it, built-in FTP server so that I can connect to the portable drive remotely, ability to turn off/on wi-fi on schedule since I shut it down for the night, and ideally also mechanical switch to turn wireless on and off. R6700 gives me all of it and that's why I was happy with it. But most of modern devices are also likely to have all of that, perhaps short of wifi switch.

Of course if someone was successful in resolving Netgear R6700 router DNS/Parental Control issues, I'd be very interested as well since it is really a good device otherwise.

I would really appreciate your help/advice with this as I have to move fast on it I think.
If you have Comcast, this may help.

RandalThor
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 9:46 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by RandalThor » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Check out Netgear.

They have what they call "Live Parental Controls" which allows you to setup OpenDNS profiles to limit web content. With Netgear, you can integrate with OpenDNS and it allows you to apply a default level of content filtering for your whole network. You can then assign specific levels of filtering to each device on the network (less restrictive for your device, more restrictive for your kids, etc.).

Even if you don't have a Netgear router that integrates with OpenDNS to do device specific filtering, you can use OpenDNS's DNS servers to provide basic level of filtering from phishing, explicit sites, etc. that will cover your whole network. See how to configure your router with the DNS servers here:

OpenDNS Family Shield

You don't have to "sign up", just click the "Continue" link at the bottom of the page to get to the guide for how to setup your router.

Netgear has also recently integrated with Circle (by Disney), which also enables you to assign filtering levels for web, apps, safe search enforcement, etc. and you can do this by creating group profiles that you assign specific devices to. I have been using a stand alone Circle device connected to my router for a couple of years as well. With the Circle integration into Netgear, you don't need the standalone device, you get some of the Circle filtering features for free, but you must pay monthly to have some other features like "Bedtime", etc. With the standalone device, you pay for the device once, and then no more recurring payments. And if you chose to just go with the Circle device, it can be used with multiple brands of routers, but check out the following list:

Circle - router compatibility list

These will help you with devices on your network, at home, at the whole home network level.

Hope this helps.

Rand

YetiWx
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by YetiWx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:43 am

I am in the same boat as you with a 9 and 11 year old. I recently purchased a Synology Router RT2600ac. It is a great router and has excellent web filtering and safe search built in. It has a very handy app which allows for quick and easy filter customization.

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:31 am

Thank you for advice folks.

Investor4life, that would be a good suggestion if only I used Comcast's own equipment as their software requires their wireless gateway to operate. But I use my own to avoid what probably is $10/month rental fee by now, used to be $4.99 when I started with them years ago.

inbox788, I tried everything already, not working as advertised, not to mention DNS can be bypassed by custom DNS configuration and my 10yo is smart enough...

RandalThor,
I am on Netgear right now as you can see from my OP. Not working as advertised...

Since I am happy with my router otherwise, after reviewing all hardware options and their costs, I decided to try to go with Ricola suggestion and now waiting for Amazon' Router Limits Mini. If it can do what it promises for $80 one time fee, I'll be happy.

Thanks folks, and please have the suggestions coming -- as I can always return Router Limits for the next 30 days if it does not work as advertised or something clearly superior is suggested by the forum!

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4487
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by RickBoglehead » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:50 am

Note - I do not have young kids at home, and have not used any filtering. When our kids were young, there were only computers and we put their computer in a public place and were able to observe what they did with it.

I recently purchased Google WiFi because my router was from 2010 and no longer updating firmware.

Google WiFi offers Family Wi-Fi, which has the following features:

- Schedule internet time-outs

- Automatically block millions of adult websites

- Group devices with labels (allows you to apply schedules or blocking to multiple devices with one change

Under the site blocking, it says:

Google Wifi’s site blocking uses Google’s SafeSearch technology to help block millions of sexually explicit websites. The internet is massive and no filter is perfect, but it helps avoid most adult websites.

SafeSearch doesn’t currently block sites containing violent or illegal content.

Note: Google Wifi’s automatic blocking prevents these SafeSearch sites from being reached, but it doesn’t block the sites from showing on Google Search results.


You can test whether this is adequate or not by turning on SafeSearch in your Google browser and then trying to access specific sites. https://www.google.com/preferences
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Quickfoot
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by Quickfoot » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

The OpenDNS controls are very good, you just need to configure your router to use the OpenDNS servers and then setup a free account and select the categories you'd like filtered. Be aware if they have cellular devices they can bypass your wifi controls by hitting the cellular network. You can configure iPhones to disallow adult websites through the restrictions section, you can also disable private browsing.

Practice good device safety, that means NO cell phones, tablets, or computers in bedrooms and especially no access to devices at night or early in the morning. Maintain a policy that you can and will review their history any time you want to or feel like you should.

We have 3 kids, all of them at some point will wind up places they shouldn't. Be prepared to provide them with safe information on development, etc, for us that has been books.

tea_pirate
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:29 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am

Good luck. Any kid of above average intelligence will figure out a way around your parental controls in a couple days. As others have mentioned physical device control is more reliable, although I'm sure your kids will outsmart you here too if they're clever.

As a teen I wasn't allowed to have a personal computer. I had an iPod Touch with WiFi that I could use to get on the Internet, and we had a family computer in the living room. My parents limited my time on the computer, instituted router-level parental controls, and I had to leave the iPod Touch downstairs on the counter at night. If they thought I was on it too much they'd take it away for a while. All they taught me to do was how to be sneaky. First I broke the parental controls via a proxy after a few hours of research. Next I went out and bought a second iPod Touch, totally unknown to my parents and made it look like I was still using the first one according to their rules as a decoy. And that's how I had completely unrestricted access to the Internet as a kid.

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:35 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am
Good luck. Any kid of above average intelligence will figure out a way around your parental controls in a couple days. As others have mentioned physical device control is more reliable, although I'm sure your kids will outsmart you here too if they're clever.

As a teen I wasn't allowed to have a personal computer. I had an iPod Touch with WiFi that I could use to get on the Internet, and we had a family computer in the living room. My parents limited my time on the computer, instituted router-level parental controls, and I had to leave the iPod Touch downstairs on the counter at night. If they thought I was on it too much they'd take it away for a while. All they taught me to do was how to be sneaky. First I broke the parental controls via a proxy after a few hours of research. Next I went out and bought a second iPod Touch, totally unknown to my parents and made it look like I was still using the first one according to their rules as a decoy. And that's how I had completely unrestricted access to the Internet as a kid.
Now, that's sneaky indeed. However I am aware of VPN/proxy route and intend to block those sites as well. My employer is very successful at it, so I can be too, at least in controlling wifi, until kids have cell access. My older kid is not the one who breaks the rules usually either, it is younger one that does, and he is not as technology savy/interested.

User avatar
gwe67
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by gwe67 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:40 pm

Support this site with a purchase thru Amazon: | http://www.amazon.com/s/?search-alias=aps&tag=bogleheads.org-20&field-keywords=Bogleheads

ccieemeritus
Posts: 628
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by ccieemeritus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:10 pm

+1 for OpenDNS being easy and effective. But yes you have to reboot for it to work. Even public companies use OpenDNS. Users can bypass if they understand DNS. Those people have a good future in IT :-)

-1 for router website filtering (other than OpenDNS).

As mentioned earlier, cell phones using the cell service don’t even go through your home WiFi, so filtering that requires filtering on the phone or with the cell provider. I have no experience with that.

DemoEngr
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:01 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by DemoEngr » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:21 pm

I use Lynksys parental controls for phone/tablet limits and Kidswatch for computers.

bampf
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:19 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by bampf » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:23 pm

tea_pirate wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 am
Good luck. Any kid of above average intelligence will figure out a way around your parental controls in a couple days. As others have mentioned physical device control is more reliable, although I'm sure your kids will outsmart you here too if they're clever.

As a teen I wasn't allowed to have a personal computer. I had an iPod Touch with WiFi that I could use to get on the Internet, and we had a family computer in the living room. My parents limited my time on the computer, instituted router-level parental controls, and I had to leave the iPod Touch downstairs on the counter at night. If they thought I was on it too much they'd take it away for a while. All they taught me to do was how to be sneaky. First I broke the parental controls via a proxy after a few hours of research. Next I went out and bought a second iPod Touch, totally unknown to my parents and made it look like I was still using the first one according to their rules as a decoy. And that's how I had completely unrestricted access to the Internet as a kid.
Spot on. My kids figured out VPN instantly and use it regularly. This isn't really a bad thing. Its creative. The entire school population has figured out VPN to circumvent the school access restrictions. I don't want to tell you not to try, just recognize that your success is only predicated on your kid not being savvy enough to figure out a work around. It can be quite challenging. However, if you are going to trust little Johnny or Joanie on the net, you have to arm them with tools to keep them safe. Some amount of protection built it is fine, but, I have found that the lockdown stuff just doesn't work very well.

--Bampf

alfaspider
Posts: 2147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by alfaspider » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:41 pm

No matter what tech solution you use, there will always be unsecured devices your kids get access to (either directly or indirectly). It’s a good idea to prepare them for innapropriate content regardless- because they will see it eventually.

crg11
Posts: 441
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:16 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by crg11 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Blocking will never work. This coming from a person who in the mid 90s as a teen had internet access and knew far more than my parents. While I do have a few more years to go before my girls are anywhere close to being online, I already know how I will approach it with them thanks to the example my own parents set with me and what I have since learned having a career in tech.

Teaching them responsible use and (gasp) letting them make mistakes themselves is the best way to prepare them for the real world on the Internet. Explain your concerns, set reasonable boundaries that you both agree on, build a trustworthy relationship, and your kids will probably surprise you in how well they will police themselves. Most importantly, show them how such devices are really a tool for learning and making a living. Exposing them to creating using tech and how to consume it in a responsible way will have profound impacts on their life and career in the future.

If you rule as a dictator on phone/internet use, it is the perfect excuse for a kid to rebel and find a way around it. And they will. I fully expect my kids to and I'm a tech guy who understands this stuff.

ccf
Posts: 129
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by ccf » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:42 am

I just ordered one of these a few days ago:

(edit: device came and I tried it and the parental controls are pretty basic)
Last edited by ccf on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Quickfoot
Posts: 1166
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by Quickfoot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:54 am

I also work in IT, specifically security. Can kids be sneaky? Absolutely, can you beat them? Absolutely. The question just becomes whether you are educated enough and willing to spend enough money, as with most things there is an effot & cost vs reward trade off. Kids also tend to assume they got away with things they really didn't, parents just didn't feel like punishing them endlessly.

You CAN configure your network to disallow any unknown device, that prevents children from using any other device on your network without your permission EVEN if they know the wifi password. You can disallow VPN protocols and force SSL communication through a proxy you control and are able to audit. Is that worth it in the majority of cases? Nope. The point is for there to be a large enough risk of being caught that they chose to to be good. OpenDNS combined with a cell phone monitoring solution or built in phone parental controls will get you there the majority of the time.

2 out of 3 of my kids have been caught being places they shouldn't be online and it's just a matter of time before the third is. Same conversation with them every time, "one day you may be better at technology than me, today is not that day. You are going to be be punished but first let's talk about what you were looking at and why."

The human brain doesn't finish developing until 24, until then they are literally incapable of making wise decisions in nearly every area of their life. Rather than punishing them endlessly for dumb decisions the point should be to encourage them to make good ones and to have conversations when they don't.

Kids (including teenagers) have no business having unrestricted access to Internet devices in unsupervised areas, they WILL make poor decisions 100% of the time. They also have NO business having any form of social networking, their brains aren't ready. The most effective protection is them knowing you are watching and that if they make a dumb decision they are going to get to have a *really* embarrassing conversation with their parents about it. That said you also need to have conversations with them so they can get their questions answered in a healthy and safe way.

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:36 am

ccf wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:42 am
I just ordered one of these a few days ago:

https://firewalla.com

I spend enough time messing with network gear at work that I don't really care to do it at home. I liked that this device can just drop in and start intercepting traffic (ie. doesn't replace your router or change your network setup at all, unless you want to) and the controls and features looked pretty good to me. I'm more interested in being more aware of all of the random network-connected things that are in my home but I think that some of the parental/usage controls will be useful to me.
That is very similar to Router Limits in how it connects, though is it is less parental controls oriented than Router Limits. It is definitely harder to configure and use, I can see that for my router it would require DHCP connection rather than simple connection. But good choice if you want to have more than simple parental controls

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3527
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:44 am

None of these LAN filtering ideas will work for devices connected to cellular data...

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am

Just as an update, I received Router Limit device yesterday and connected it to my R6700 router. The registration and initial setup was extremely simple, but when I started experimenting I realized some of my wi-fi devices were not getting internet access despite wireless connection active. After digging a bit on Router Limit site, and looking at compatibility list I noticed that a close variant of my router is listed as compatible but with a note that Guest connection has to be disabled. Then I realized that the kids devices that did not work were connected to Guest net, as many of my household devices (Roomba, Kasa, etc), I used both interchangeably. So spent several hours to reconnect everything to my main network before I could disable Guest one on the router. Now everything appears to be working fine, though took quite a bit of time to rename devices to meaningful names based in some cases on experiments. I still have one "InPro Comm" offline device I don't know what that is. Obviously, it was online at some point and got captured by Router Limits, but have no idea what that is, MAC address is not much use.

We will see how stable and reliable this system is, I have 30 days to make sure it works well.

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 am

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:44 am
None of these LAN filtering ideas will work for devices connected to cellular data...
I do not intend to get kids cell phones until they are 14+, though my 10yo already informed me that "everyone" in his class has one, which probably means that 20-30% of kids actually do.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4487
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 am

serbeer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:00 am
Just as an update, I received Router Limit device yesterday and connected it to my R6700 router. The registration and initial setup was extremely simple, but when I started experimenting I realized some of my wi-fi devices were not getting internet access despite wireless connection active. After digging a bit on Router Limit site, and looking at compatibility list I noticed that a close variant of my router is listed as compatible but with a note that Guest connection has to be disabled. Then I realized that the kids devices that did not work were connected to Guest net, as many of my household devices (Roomba, Kasa, etc), I used both interchangeably. So spent several hours to reconnect everything to my main network before I could disable Guest one on the router. Now everything appears to be working fine, though took quite a bit of time to rename devices to meaningful names based in some cases on experiments. I still have one "InPro Comm" offline device I don't know what that is. Obviously, it was online at some point and got captured by Router Limits, but have no idea what that is, MAC address is not much use.

We will see how stable and reliable this system is, I have 30 days to make sure it works well.
Putting devices like Roomba on your main network leaves you vulnerable if those devices get hacked. I returned my Wemo outlets after discovering they would not work on Guest networks. I even renamed my main network to the exact settings as my Guest network, and they worked fine. But switch them to the true Guest network and they had issues.

I will never put thermostats, Roombas (which I don't ever plan on owning), outlets, light switches, cameras, etc. on my main network shared with my computers.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

GrowthSeeker
Posts: 673
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by GrowthSeeker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:28 am

Not sure if this would be a solution or not: but I've been researching DD-WRT which is a free open source (Linux based) firmware available for most, but not all, routers. From what I have read so far, it allows control of routers which the router company and/or ISP don't always make available with their firmware, but which the router hardware is capable of doing.

Perhaps this could be part of the solution??
https://dd-wrt.com/
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

scorp_pccorp
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:18 am

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by scorp_pccorp » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:15 pm

I have a tangential question on this about Youtube content:

My kids are getting addicted to the game play videos on Youtube (like Roblox, Minecraft, etc..) that have guys live-playing the games and talking for hours on end. These guys talk forever and use profanity a lot.

I would like to completely block all such content from all devices in my home but still keep the Youtube and Youtube Premium apps. Can you suggest what I can do to achieve this?

Restricted content is active on my Youtube subscription but it only blocks adult content, not the gamers and such. I keep trying to unsubscribe from these channels that they watch over and over but they keep searching and getting them back. I also have smartTvs and such that have their youtube app so I cannot use my main PC from blocking Youtube channels on all devices from one central location.

User avatar
Topic Author
serbeer
Posts: 1238
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: router internet parental controls

Post by serbeer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:11 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:13 am

Putting devices like Roomba on your main network leaves you vulnerable if those devices get hacked. I returned my Wemo outlets after discovering they would not work on Guest networks. I even renamed my main network to the exact settings as my Guest network, and they worked fine. But switch them to the true Guest network and they had issues.

I will never put thermostats, Roombas (which I don't ever plan on owning), outlets, light switches, cameras, etc. on my main network shared with my computers.
I agree with that, and that's the reason why I was using Guest network for them in the first place, but my kids getting onto inappropriate sites is clear and present danger that I had great urgency to remediate without even extra day of delay as if my kids sees certain things they simply cannot be unseen and innocence is lost, while hacking through Roomba, etc is way more remote of possibility. My computers are not very interesting to hackers btw, they do not have anything of significant value. Yes, there are things like tax returns but they are all encrypted and I am running AV, anti-malware, anti-exploits, and anti-keylogger software and keep full backup offline just in case too. In short, there are easier and more attractive targets IMO.

Post Reply