Best watch for around $5,000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
roymeo
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by roymeo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:59 pm

[quote="Petrocelli"I have a friend who has a fake Rolex. You can tell the difference just by looking at the movement of the second hand.[/quote]

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in a meeting with the guy checking out the movement on everyone's watches.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:01 pm

roymeo wrote:[quote="Petrocelli"I have a friend who has a fake Rolex. You can tell the difference just by looking at the movement of the second hand.
I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in a meeting with the guy checking out the movement on everyone's watches.[/quote]

Well, unless you are a Rolex owner, you can't tell the watch is a Rolex unless you look directly at it.

If you look directly at a fake Rolex, and you are a Rolex owner, you will probably be able to tell it's fake. If you can't, then you have been fooled by someone who wears a fake watch. Congratulations to whoever that may be.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 4297
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by dratkinson » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:39 pm

It was not until after the IWC watch topic that I understood this topic to be about the frugal alternative. (Or does this illustrate the anchoring bias fallacy?)
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:10 pm

dratkinson wrote:It was not until after the IWC watch topic that I understood this topic to be about the frugal alternative. (Or does this illustrate the anchoring bias fallacy?)
Personally, I like the simple look of the Rolex versus the IWC. And it is the frugal alternative.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

TareNeko
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by TareNeko » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:09 am

Petrocelli wrote:
dratkinson wrote:It was not until after the IWC watch topic that I understood this topic to be about the frugal alternative. (Or does this illustrate the anchoring bias fallacy?)
Personally, I like the simple look of the Rolex versus the IWC. And it is the frugal alternative.
I don't get this statement. Most models of IWC are quite clean and simple.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1610
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:52 am

I do agree with Petrocelli on the 'value' of the used Rolex. The $200 watch holds no value while the $4000 used Rolex will increase in value. As a reference, a historical Rolex price chart:
https://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.php

A Rolex GMT 16710 used to sell for $2850 back in 1989, now likely worth $5k. It is keeping up with inflation per this calculator:
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

TareNeko
Posts: 582
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by TareNeko » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:31 am

If you make the comparison between Rolex and say Omega, I could understand that Rolex has advantage.
But with a $200 watch, you can't loose more than $200. But if you are off by 10% in your estimate for Rolex 16710, that's $500.

Buy a Rolex if you want to buy a Rolex. No other reason.
sunny_socal wrote:I do agree with Petrocelli on the 'value' of the used Rolex. The $200 watch holds no value while the $4000 used Rolex will increase in value. As a reference, a historical Rolex price chart:
https://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.php

A Rolex GMT 16710 used to sell for $2850 back in 1989, now likely worth $5k. It is keeping up with inflation per this calculator:
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:58 pm

TareNeko wrote: Buy a Rolex if you want to buy a Rolex. No other reason.
I agree with that. But it is interesting to note that they really hold their value well.

For example, I bought my wife a Rolex in 1988 for $2000. That watch new now costs about $8,000 and I could probably sell it for around $4,000 to $5,000.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

surfstar
Posts: 1486
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by surfstar » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:05 am

Petrocelli wrote:
TareNeko wrote: Buy a Rolex if you want to buy a Rolex. No other reason.
I agree with that. But it is interesting to note that they really hold their value well.

For example, I bought my wife a Rolex in 1988 for $2000. That watch new now costs about $8,000 and I could probably sell it for around $4,000 to $5,000.
So, it kept up to inflation. It neither gained, nor lost money. Basically you could sell it and have nearly 30 years of free rental.

Dulocracy
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Dulocracy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:08 pm

For those with nicer tastes in watches, I am curious (for an actionable reason): Do you judge those who do not share your love of watches in a professional setting. If you were hiring an attorney, would you be less likely to hire a male attorney who did not wear a watch. (Presume he likes suits, is in a 3-piece suit with nice (but not high end) shoes (Florsheim or Johnston Murphy), and otherwise presents well. Is his lack of a watch something that would cause you to choose another attorney?

(At 13 years of practice, my client base is becoming more and more affluent. I am curious as to whether not having the "ornaments" could lose clients.)
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

soboggled
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by soboggled » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Dulocracy wrote:For those with nicer tastes in watches, I am curious (for an actionable reason): Do you judge those who do not share your love of watches in a professional setting. If you were hiring an attorney, would you be less likely to hire a male attorney who did not wear a watch. (Presume he likes suits, is in a 3-piece suit with nice (but not high end) shoes (Florsheim or Johnston Murphy), and otherwise presents well. Is his lack of a watch something that would cause you to choose another attorney?

(At 13 years of practice, my client base is becoming more and more affluent. I am curious as to whether not having the "ornaments" could lose clients.)
Probably wouldn't matter, unless subconsciously.
If he was wearing a Rolex, it might actually disturb me a little, figure he was going to get it back in fees.
But that's just cheapskate me, so you might not want me as a client..

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Dulocracy wrote:For those with nicer tastes in watches, I am curious (for an actionable reason): Do you judge those who do not share your love of watches in a professional setting. If you were hiring an attorney, would you be less likely to hire a male attorney who did not wear a watch. (Presume he likes suits, is in a 3-piece suit with nice (but not high end) shoes (Florsheim or Johnston Murphy), and otherwise presents well. Is his lack of a watch something that would cause you to choose another attorney?

(At 13 years of practice, my client base is becoming more and more affluent. I am curious as to whether not having the "ornaments" could lose clients.)
I would not consider hiring someone because they wear a watch, or don't wear a watch.

I may, however, form a negative opinion if a male wore a very flashy watch; such as one with a lot of diamonds.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
stratton
Posts: 11082
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:05 pm
Location: Puget Sound

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by stratton » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:46 pm

What an awesome leading line...
Petrocelli wrote:I would not consider hiring someone because they wear a watch, or don't wear a watch.

I may, however, form a negative opinion if a male wore a very flashy watch; such as one with a lot of diamonds.
Says the guy whose BH handle is based on a diamond. :P

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

CedarWaxWing
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by CedarWaxWing » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:34 pm

roymeo wrote:[quote="Petrocelli"I have a friend who has a fake Rolex. You can tell the difference just by looking at the movement of the second hand.
True story re: Rolex watch vs Casio:

About 25 years ago... I helped someone who had a very unexpected life threatening situation, and in the end, there was a good ending to this very traumatic situation. When the dust settled, he was very shaken, and expressed a great deal of gratitude for my assistance, and his thanks was appreciated but not necessary.

To lighten things up a bit, after noticing the gold Rolex on his wrist, I suggested that, as we had "been in the trenches" so to speak, we should do the appropriate thing... and exchange watches as a memento of our special bond for having shared the experience and good outcome.

He looked at his shiny gold Rolex and then at my old beat up Casio with its broken plastic band, and cracked crystal... and replied "You know, it's not a real Rolex", to which I replied....

"That's ok, mine's not a real Casio".

:)

M

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:48 pm

stratton wrote: Says the guy whose BH handle is based on a diamond. :P

Paul
Nice one. I had to stop and ponder that one!
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Dulocracy
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Dulocracy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:48 pm

soboggled wrote: Probably wouldn't matter, unless subconsciously.
If he was wearing a Rolex, it might actually disturb me a little, figure he was going to get it back in fees.
But that's just cheapskate me, so you might not want me as a client..
Actually, our firm focuses on upper middle to upper class individuals who are looking for quality that does not cost an arm and a leg. Hourly rates run $150-300 in the Atlanta area, so your opinion matters a lot, as that is our target market.
Petrocelli wrote:
I would not consider hiring someone because they wear a watch, or don't wear a watch.

I may, however, form a negative opinion if a male wore a very flashy watch; such as one with a lot of diamonds.
Thank you for the re-assurance. I try to look decent, but I have always been too cheap to get lavish things for myself. I wanted confirmation that I was not shooting myself in the foot.


As a side note, it is nice that those shopping for expensive watches are not judgmental of those of us who have no watch at all. (Between office phones, cell phones, and computers, I can keep on schedule without a timepiece.)
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

airahcaz
Posts: 1488
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by airahcaz » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:55 pm

Dulocracy wrote:
soboggled wrote: Probably wouldn't matter, unless subconsciously.
If he was wearing a Rolex, it might actually disturb me a little, figure he was going to get it back in fees.
But that's just cheapskate me, so you might not want me as a client..
Actually, our firm focuses on upper middle to upper class individuals who are looking for quality that does not cost an arm and a leg. Hourly rates run $150-300 in the Atlanta area, so your opinion matters a lot, as that is our target market.
Petrocelli wrote:
I would not consider hiring someone because they wear a watch, or don't wear a watch.

I may, however, form a negative opinion if a male wore a very flashy watch; such as one with a lot of diamonds.
Thank you for the re-assurance. I try to look decent, but I have always been too cheap to get lavish things for myself. I wanted confirmation that I was not shooting myself in the foot.


As a side note, it is nice that those shopping for expensive watches are not judgmental of those of us who have no watch at all. (Between office phones, cell phones, and computers, I can keep on schedule without a timepiece.)
I have the basic Rolex purchased a few years ago, which has now been collecting dust since the launch of the Apple Watch and for the foreseeable future.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Avo
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:21 am
Location: California

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Avo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:10 pm

Petrocelli wrote:For example, I bought my wife a Rolex in 1988 for $2000. That watch new now costs about $8,000 and I could probably sell it for around $4,000 to $5,000.
And have you had it serviced regularly? If so, how much did that cost? And if not, I doubt you could sell it for 4K.

User avatar
roymeo
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by roymeo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:02 pm

Dulocracy wrote: Actually, our firm focuses on upper middle to upper class individuals who are looking for quality that does not cost an arm and a leg. Hourly rates run $150-300 in the Atlanta area
Been 10 years since I was there, but far too much of ATL was all about the new money conspicuous consumption. :)
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:32 pm

Avo wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:For example, I bought my wife a Rolex in 1988 for $2000. That watch new now costs about $8,000 and I could probably sell it for around $4,000 to $5,000.
And have you had it serviced regularly? If so, how much did that cost? And if not, I doubt you could sell it for 4K.
I haven't had mine serviced, and I got it as a gift, so I'm way up on the profit side.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Dulocracy
Posts: 2277
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am

roymeo wrote:
Been 10 years since I was there, but far too much of ATL was all about the new money conspicuous consumption. :)
Unfortunately, that has not changed.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:40 am

This is an interesting article written by someone who wore a Rolex for a short period of time. His conclusion is what has been stated in the thread several times, and confirmed by Rolex owners who have posted here:

"I realized nobody can really tell what you're wearing on your wrist, unless you show them intentionally."

http://www.providencejournal.com/zz/sha ... and-status
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

livesoft
Posts: 62294
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:06 am

So what does it mean when a guy leaves his expensive watch in the car or abode of his date?

Does that mean he wants a callback? Something else?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
roymeo
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by roymeo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:01 pm

livesoft wrote:So what does it mean when a guy leaves his expensive watch in the car or abode of his date?

Does that mean he wants a callback? Something else?
He wants to file a police report?
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:26 am

I saw this article on a man who bought a Rolex for 69 Pounds, and it is now worth 100,000 pounds. I could help think og my Boglehead friends...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html

Your mileage will certainly vary...
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

soboggled
Posts: 901
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:26 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by soboggled » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:36 am

Petrocelli wrote:I saw this article on a man who bought a Rolex for 69 Pounds, and it is now worth 100,000 pounds. I could help think og my Boglehead friends...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html

Your mileage will certainly vary...
I saw this article on a man who bought a baseball card for a penny and it is now worth $525,000.
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/11/rare-mic ... -525k.html

mojorisin
Posts: 140
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by mojorisin » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:18 am

I just picked up an Omega Speedmaster for $3600 for my 45th birthday present though months of shopping and research from an online retailer. At the local retail store its about ~$5200 after discounts. With certain Omega and Rolex you can have high resale value anytime IF 1) its authentic with papers 2) has the original box paperwork 3) warranty is through the manufacturer not the store you purchased from 4) well kept and serviced.

I figure I can wear this watch as long as I like then sell it for about the price I paid for it. I bought an authentic Omega heavily discounted online for $1200 in 2004 that I am about to sell today for $1600. I'm not bragging but just saying you can get your money back if bought right ahead of time.

Is there an opportunity cost of my money. Yes. But I convinced myself that its "ok" since I got a deal when I bought and can get my money back when I sell if needed. Its an "asset" (not an investment) that may appreciate slightly which you get to use in the meantime if done right.

Good luck!

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:39 pm

mojorisin wrote:I just picked up an Omega Speedmaster for $3600 for my 45th birthday present though months of shopping and research from an online retailer. !
That's a great looking watch. My wife was looking at Omegas when she bought me my Rolex.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 pm

soboggled wrote:
Petrocelli wrote:I saw this article on a man who bought a Rolex for 69 Pounds, and it is now worth 100,000 pounds. I could help think og my Boglehead friends...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... 0-000.html

Your mileage will certainly vary...
I saw this article on a man who bought a baseball card for a penny and it is now worth $525,000.
http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/11/rare-mic ... -525k.html
I wonder what that penny would be worth if invested in an index fund?
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Incendiary
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:42 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Incendiary » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 am

mojorisin wrote:I just picked up an Omega Speedmaster for $3600 for my 45th birthday present though months of shopping and research from an online retailer. At the local retail store its about ~$5200 after discounts. With certain Omega and Rolex you can have high resale value anytime IF 1) its authentic with papers 2) has the original box paperwork 3) warranty is through the manufacturer not the store you purchased from 4) well kept and serviced.

I figure I can wear this watch as long as I like then sell it for about the price I paid for it. I bought an authentic Omega heavily discounted online for $1200 in 2004 that I am about to sell today for $1600. I'm not bragging but just saying you can get your money back if bought right ahead of time.

Is there an opportunity cost of my money. Yes. But I convinced myself that its "ok" since I got a deal when I bought and can get my money back when I sell if needed. Its an "asset" (not an investment) that may appreciate slightly which you get to use in the meantime if done right.

Good luck!
Care to share the store? I've been thinking about doing the same for a while.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
soboggled wrote:I saw this article on a man who bought a baseball card for a penny and it is now worth $525,000.
I wonder what that penny would be worth if invested in an index fund?
I wonder what percentage of baseball cards that have been sold for a penny are now worth more than the price paid?

I also wonder what percentage of broad market index funds that have been sold are now worth more than the price paid?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 47438
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:44 pm

We have a couple of older very high end mechanical watches in the safe. I wear a fitbit most of the time, or a 20 year old quartz Seamaster when I swim a workout. The mechanical watches, even the most expensive and freshly serviced (at their best), don't keep time any where near as well as a relatively inexpensive quartz watch. And they require expensive cleaning and maintenance ($400-500) every 5 years or so just to work properly.

If I had to spend around $5k on a watch, I'd get a 3 button Omega Seamaster - a heavy mechanical watch but a more elegant affectation than a Rolex which has justifiably been a cliche for tacky excess for a very long time.

likegarden
Posts: 2661
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:33 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by likegarden » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:08 pm

I saved those $5,000, do not wear a watch.

cantos
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by cantos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:59 am

About a decade ago was gifted an Omega Constellation, automatic, stainless steel. Beautiful watch and I love wearing it when I'm working as it fits in for what I do. But every 5 years it seems to need a tune-up which costs about $300. Are you kidding me? The price of the watch brand new has gone up, last I saw it about $4000-5000, but I wouldn't sell it. So it'll be a family heirloom I suppose in time. It's one of those gifts that may end up hurting more than helping. Like getting a friend a Porsche and watching him pay out the wazoo for repairs, insurance, and gas.

So I prefer my Casio G-shock. It's lasted many years now without needing a battery placement, has a light so I can see it in the dark and even use it as a low-power flashlight, has an alarm I use daily, has a travel clock for anywhere I visit in the world, has a date, and is accurate 100% of the time. I can wear it in any situation -- with a suit it looks more quirky than inappropriate -- and is fine for swimming, skiing, golf, etc. I never worry about losing it or someone stealing it, or looking like a target when I travel. About $100 and worth every damn penny.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 13379
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:54 am

LadyGeek wrote:Please stay on-topic.
This thread was never on topic but it's a heck of a classic. I was curious to see who bumped, looks like it was the $5K watch man himself.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

selftalk
Posts: 1096
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by selftalk » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:57 am

Yes, the Casio G- Shock is wonderful. I had a Rolex years ago and it had to be serviced ( more expense). Those expensive watches are a joke and only for your ego. Maybe you`ll get lucky and buy an expensive watch that will climb in value over time but maybe you`ll hit the lottery. Buy VTSAX and get real.

Ninnie
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Ninnie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:49 am

I'm not sure you really have to service the Omega every five years. My dad was gifted an Omega almost 50 years ago when he was married. Not being someone who wears a watch, it sat in a drawer unused for over 40 years. My mom finally replaced the band, did some basic servicing on it at a local jeweler, and now occasionally wears it herself. It still runs perfectly.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1074
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:30 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Please stay on-topic.
This thread was never on topic but it's a heck of a classic. I was curious to see who bumped, looks like it was the $5K watch man himself.
While I do appreciate LadyGeek's admonition to stay "on-topic" I also have to observe the irony that, in a thread about expensive watches in a forum dedicated to indexing and frugality, a digression about indexing should be considered off-topic. Sorry for my on/off(quantum physical?)-topic transgressions ;)

cantos
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:25 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by cantos » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:41 pm

Ninnie wrote:I'm not sure you really have to service the Omega every five years. My dad was gifted an Omega almost 50 years ago when he was married. Not being someone who wears a watch, it sat in a drawer unused for over 40 years. My mom finally replaced the band, did some basic servicing on it at a local jeweler, and now occasionally wears it herself. It still runs perfectly.
I wear the Omega every weekday for the last decade or so. I've had to service it twice because it obviously becomes much less accurate (losing 15 minutes a day/etc). I wasn't servicing it because of some recommendation, but because it became useless. Just my experience with my one watch... I will add that my decades old Patek (humblebrag time!) which was passed down from my dad still winds and keeps time wonderfully, and I wear that once in a blue moon. But I don't look forward to servicing it $$$.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 11574
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by HomerJ » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:53 pm

Ninnie wrote:I'm not sure you really have to service the Omega every five years. My dad was gifted an Omega almost 50 years ago when he was married. Not being someone who wears a watch, it sat in a drawer unused for over 40 years. My mom finally replaced the band, did some basic servicing on it at a local jeweler, and now occasionally wears it herself. It still runs perfectly.
Heh, well yeah if you don't wear it for 40 years, you don't have to service it every 5 years. That's a real point in its favor!

seychellois_lib
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by seychellois_lib » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:49 pm

In 1975 as a USN 2nd Class PO I saved for months to pay off the $370.00 layaway for my Rolex Submariner Date. I was stationed at Naval Air Station Bermuda at the time and purchased the watch in downtown Hamilton. wearing that watch made me feel like a million bucks!

In 1980 I lost the watch while bodysurfing at Anse Gaulette in Mahe, Seychelles where I worked at the US tracking station. The steel wristband retaining clip was never much good. So if any of you find yourselves in the Seychelles and have plenty of time on your hands, you know where to find a beautiful watch. After that I never bought another expensive watch although I did inherit my Dad's gold Omega Constellation which is locked away in a safety deposit box along with my Wife's Rolex Datejust.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 12737
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:55 pm

Petrocelli wrote:
mojorisin wrote:I just picked up an Omega Speedmaster for $3600 for my 45th birthday present though months of shopping and research from an online retailer. !
That's a great looking watch. My wife was looking at Omegas when she bought me my Rolex.
Love the Omega commercials and song over the years!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Marjimmy
Posts: 144
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Marjimmy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Thought I had read this thread before. Still good to come back to today and reread :twisted:
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

bowtie
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by bowtie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:19 am

There's something compelling here.....Is it about watches or philosophy?

User avatar
jabberwockOG
Posts: 1392
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 7:23 am

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:44 am

The oils used to lubricate the gears, cogs, and friction points in a mechanical watch dry out and "varnish" over time. Besides not keeping time well if the watch is not cleaned and lubricated at apprx 5 year intervals, running a mechanical watch when it is well past time for its service drastically accelerates wear on the watch's delicate internal parts. If you have an older heirloom mechanical watch it is really not a good idea to wind and run it unless it is has been professionally cleaned and serviced beforehand.

long_gamma
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by long_gamma » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:06 am

Move over Rolex, say hello to les-cabinotiers-celestia-astronomical-grand

There was an article in Barrons Penta Daily regarding first million dollar watch.

http://sihh.vacheron-constantin.com/en2 ... ation.html

from the article
"Turn the watch over and you are treated to sidereal time, which indicates the earth’s position relative to other stars and allows astronomers to direct their telescopes to precise positions in the sky, at the right time, to see far away planets and stars. A wonderfully translucent skin stretched across the back-dial maps the northern hemisphere sky, complete with Milky Way, and is made from laser-etched sapphire. It’s a watchmaking first and has a patent pending. The push button mechanism at four o’clock allows you to program the watch with your precise location on earth, so the celestial map on the back-dial perfectly matches what you will see if you look up at the sky."
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth." --Mike Tyson

User avatar
Petrocelli
Posts: 2772
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Fenway Park, between 2nd and 3rd base

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Petrocelli » Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm

I saw this article and, of course, thought of the Bogleheads.

"He who does not have his Rolex by the Age of 50 id a Failure."

For the record, I don't think you are a failure if you don't have a Rolex or if you don't wear a wristwatch or if you don't care what time it is. I think most of you are failures for a variety of other reasons, but not that one.

http://www.hautetime.com/he-who-does-no ... ure/82851/
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by gkaplan » Mon May 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Petrocelli wrote:. . . . For the record, I don't think you are a failure if you don't have a Rolex or if you don't wear a wristwatch or if you don't care what time it is. I think most of you are failures for a variety of other reasons, but not that one. . . .

Thanks, Rico. I think.
Gordon

poker27
Posts: 728
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by poker27 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 pm

For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision? I have a tag heur I wear daily, but have been itching to upgrade for a while. I have been inbetween a black submariner date, and a blue seamaster. Obviously the cheap side of me wants to go omega. If I did go Rolex I would go lightly used

Post Reply