Best watch for around $5,000?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandi_k

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by Sandi_k » Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 am

poker27 wrote:For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision? I have a tag heuer I wear daily, but have been itching to upgrade for a while. I have been in between a black submariner date, and a blue seamaster. Obviously the cheap side of me wants to go omega. If I did go Rolex I would go lightly used
Go to a good watch store, and try them on.

Several years ago, while in NYC, I took my DH and asked him to try the Omega Planet Ocean (with the orange hands and face detail - orange is his favorite color). It looked ridiculous on him - like he'd strapped a can of cat food to his wrist.

He was disdainful of Rolex's - too bulky under a shirt cuff, didn't "wow" him.

A couple years later, I dragged him to see the Omega Skyfall watch (38.5 mm, deep blue face) and he wasn't won over at first glance. But the more he rotated it, the more he liked it. And he then mentioned it again to me...regularly...over the next three years. I was delighted to find a gently used one for him last year, and he wears it with great delight now when we're dressing up for an event or date night.

On a daily basis? A Timex digital. :D

My point is that you can put these pieces on your wrist, and what you *think* you want may not in fact call to you. When you see/feel/wear the right one, you'll know it.

In the meantime, hang out on Watchuseek.com - you'll learn a lot about what you like. :D

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:56 am

poker27 wrote:For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision? I have a tag heur I wear daily, but have been itching to upgrade for a while. I have been inbetween a black submariner date, and a blue seamaster. Obviously the cheap side of me wants to go omega. If I did go Rolex I would go lightly used
Having spent north of $60k this past year trying to find the watch I like, I find myself back to wearing my gshock every day. Or the Star Trek one I bought for fun. I bought new. I bought vintage. I bought lightly used. Rolex, Omega, IWC. $200 to $12,000. I loved them all for a month and then didn't. So I'm selling all but 3 and moving on to my next hobby.

For you, buy the Rolex because if you buy the omega I think you will just buy a Rolex later to answer the question of how you feel when you wear a Rolex. Buy it used off of The Rolex Forums. That way you won't get burned by a fake. And you can recoup 90% of your cost.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Fri May 12, 2017 3:38 pm

poker27 wrote:For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision?
My wife gave me my watch as a gift, so I didn't make the decision. However, if I were to choose between those two, I would clearly go with Rolex simply because of resale value.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Sun May 14, 2017 4:45 am

poker27 wrote:For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision?
Buy the one that sings to you (the one you think is beautiful). I prefer the Rolex tool watches (divers, chronographs) although the Speedmaster Pro is great looking. The dressy Omegas look good.

Based on looks, I never needed a tiebreaker. However, if I did I would choose the Rolex due to lower depreciation. I can sell my sub for more than I paid (new) and roughly in line with inflation. I do have a less popular model that is worth less than I paid.

bowtie

Post by bowtie » Mon May 15, 2017 8:44 pm

Is Omega better quality than Longines. ..aside from what one likes. Just wondered how they "rank" in quality?

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 pm

bowtie wrote:Is Omega better quality than Longines. ..aside from what one likes. Just wondered how they "rank" in quality?
I think most would say it's more prestigious. Not sure about quality.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:15 am

My Casio Gshock is more durable than any of my $10k watches. It's also a lot more accurate and never needs wound. I wear it most of the time. Is it higher quality? Apples and oranges. Rolex is a brand that people want to pay ridiculous amounts of money for a piece of jewelry. As a tool watch, an Invicta keeps time just as well.

marc515

Post by marc515 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:59 am

Both are high quality watches. That said, I'd vote Rolex.

Rolex service is second to none.

Secondly, I do not like the Omega bands/bracelets, as they lack micro-adjustment clasps. Let's face it, our wrists usually swell in the summer, and contract in the winter, with a micro adjustment clasp, you can have a perfect fit in a matter of seconds; with Omega, you'll either settle for a less than perfect fit, or run to the jeweler. To me, if I'm paying that much for a watch, I want a perfect fit every day. If you don't believe me, just read some of the Omega forums.

Lastly, Rolex movements have a proven track record, whereas the newest Omega movements haven't been around long enough.

I'm not bashing Omega, just presenting my humble opinion.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Wed May 17, 2017 11:26 am

I just love my Casio G-Shock Gulfmaster. It`s both solar and atomic and works perfectly well without a hitch. Expensive watches have been a real disappointment for me ie. especially when the pins come out of the band. It`s a real nusiance and who needs that. Do we really need to try to impress people we come in contact with to enhance our own egos with an expensive wrist watch ? $ 5,000 for a watch in my opinion is nuts and just think what the money would compound to in the index over time ! But egos are powerful motivators.

Simple Simon

Post by Simple Simon » Wed May 17, 2017 1:45 pm

best watch for $5,000?

100 Timex Ironman watches

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Thu May 18, 2017 12:45 pm

My deciding factor was that the next time I heard "mo money mo problems" i wanted to throw my rollie in the sky with the song

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:11 pm

poker27 wrote:For the folks that looked at both Rolex and Omega, how did you make your decision? I have a tag heur I wear daily, but have been itching to upgrade for a while. I have been inbetween a black submariner date, and a blue seamaster. Obviously the cheap side of me wants to go omega. If I did go Rolex I would go lightly used
Try them on and decide which looks/feels best on your wrist. Both are excellent watches, so really you're down to aesthetic appeal and personal preference. Rolex will hold it's value better, but if you're not planning on selling it that should be a moot point.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Entry level Rolex is no longer "around $5000" but I am on my third upgrade and I've been so pleasantly surprised each time that each one has held their value so well over decades, that there's nothing like it. I also have a Tag etc., which get peanuts on a trade-in.

Rolex for sure, the new DateJust 41 is nice.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 pm

I am a big watch nerd and follow most of the mechanical watch movements and advancements. I wanted to get myself a nice watch after years of drooling over $5K range watches but wearing $300-400 watches that ended up getting bought and not used/damaged easily. Since I am a small/medium size built guy, none of these 42mm watches looked good on me.

After about 8 months of research I ended up settling on a Tudor Black Bay 36 with a bracelet that in my opinion looks great. It's a good mechanism, it's Tudor (sibling company of Rolex) and the watch can be had for $2700 new. It is still not my daily drive (Hamilton Khaki Automatic) but Tudor makes a great "weekend" watch for me. It is versatile enough to be worn with shorts/t-shirts or a suit. Tudor is still not as big in US as it is in Europe but I see Rolex promoting it a lot more lately. Their history is pretty interesting for those who care about that stuff.

I see myself engraving and passing this watch down to my kids as it is built to last. I strongly recommend you check out the Tudor Black Bay 36 if > 38mm watches are too big on your wrist.

parsi1

Post by parsi1 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm

long_gamma wrote:Move over Rolex, say hello to les-cabinotiers-celestia-astronomical-grand

There was an article in Barrons Penta Daily regarding first million dollar watch.

http://sihh.vacheron-constantin.com/en2 ... ation.html

from the article
"Turn the watch over and you are treated to sidereal time, which indicates the earth’s position relative to other stars and allows astronomers to direct their telescopes to precise positions in the sky, at the right time, to see far away planets and stars. A wonderfully translucent skin stretched across the back-dial maps the northern hemisphere sky, complete with Milky Way, and is made from laser-etched sapphire. It’s a watchmaking first and has a patent pending. The push button mechanism at four o’clock allows you to program the watch with your precise location on earth, so the celestial map on the back-dial perfectly matches what you will see if you look up at the sky."
I love this watch, I will cash my 401K when it gets close to $1.3 Million and buy this watch for my retirement.
:sharebeer

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:23 pm

parsi1 wrote:
long_gamma wrote:Move over Rolex, say hello to les-cabinotiers-celestia-astronomical-grand

There was an article in Barrons Penta Daily regarding first million dollar watch.

http://sihh.vacheron-constantin.com/en2 ... ation.html

from the article
"Turn the watch over and you are treated to sidereal time, which indicates the earth’s position relative to other stars and allows astronomers to direct their telescopes to precise positions in the sky, at the right time, to see far away planets and stars. A wonderfully translucent skin stretched across the back-dial maps the northern hemisphere sky, complete with Milky Way, and is made from laser-etched sapphire. It’s a watchmaking first and has a patent pending. The push button mechanism at four o’clock allows you to program the watch with your precise location on earth, so the celestial map on the back-dial perfectly matches what you will see if you look up at the sky."
I love this watch, I will cash my 401K when it gets close to $1.3 Million and buy this watch for my retirement.
:sharebeer
I've been thinking about getting one of those for the next time I take a space trip.
Slow and steady wins the race.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:33 pm

Good timing for thread revival as Rico Petrocelli turned 74 today :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Sourc3 wrote:I see myself engraving and passing this watch down to my kids as it is built to last. I strongly recommend you check out the Tudor Black Bay 36 if > 38mm watches are too big on your wrist.
What would you suggest in a smaller watch like this that shows the date?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:34 pm

airahcaz wrote:Entry level Rolex is no longer "around $5000"
Oyster Perpetual models can still be found around $5k new.

airahcaz

Post by airahcaz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:56 pm

mak1277 wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Entry level Rolex is no longer "around $5000"
Oyster Perpetual models can still be found around $5k new.
You're right. I was referring to entry level classic DateJust.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)

Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:14 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sourc3 wrote:I see myself engraving and passing this watch down to my kids as it is built to last. I strongly recommend you check out the Tudor Black Bay 36 if > 38mm watches are too big on your wrist.
I was also looking for a small watch with date but I could not see anything I liked around 36mm with date.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Sourc3 wrote:
bertilak wrote:
I was also looking for a small watch with date but I could not see anything I liked around 36mm with date.
Too bad!

I only look occasionally. I might prefer a pocket watch, probably an antique.

In a sense, I already have a pocket watch -- my cell phone.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sourc3 wrote:
bertilak wrote:
Too bad!

I only look occasionally. I might prefer a pocket watch, probably an antique.

In a sense, I already have a pocket watch -- my cell phone.
There are loads of very high quality, vintage wristwatches that are smaller (34-36mm) with a date feature, if you're open to vintage. Tudor, Longines and Omega are three famous brands that have great options.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 pm

Petrocelli wrote:[This is a restarted thread, please check post dates before responding. Also please be aware that forum policies have changed since this thread was begun, more on this on page 15 - admin alex]

I am considering asking for a nice watch for my 50th birthday present. Does anyone have any opinions as to what the best watch to buy for around $5,000 would be? I am leaning towards a Rolex but would like to consider other brands.

Thanks.
Sub mariner Rolex. But the 2 tone.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am

How about buying this Rolex? A Rolex, costing about $300 when new in the 80s, given to Paul Newman by Joanne Woodward and which he subsequently gave away in 1984 to his daughter's boyfriend sold at auction today, 10/27/17, for $17,752,500.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/paul-n ... =rss&rss=1
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:23 am

Petrocelli wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm
For the record, I don't think you are a failure if you don't have a Rolex or if you don't wear a wristwatch or if you don't care what time it is. I think most of you are failures for a variety of other reasons, but not that one.
Don't care for Rolex, but this made the thread worth reading!

:D
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 am

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am
How about buying this Rolex? A Rolex, costing about $300 when new in the 80s, given to Paul Newman by Joanne Woodward and which he subsequently gave away in 1984 to his daughter's boyfriend sold at auction today, 10/27/17, for $17,752,500.
It was acquired earlier than that. "Newman had received the watch as a gift from his wife, who likely purchased it at Tiffany’s for about $300 in the late ’60s, around the start of her husband’s racing career."
https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-paul-n ... 1496322396
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 am

[duplicate]

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:37 am

Just happy to see this old friend again :D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:39 am

Jack's Rolex will certainly go for a healthy sum but me thinks not $17M+

https://www.hodinkee.com/videos/talking ... k-nicklaus

ResearchMed

If you only have $2m, not $18m - Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:13 am
If you don't absolutely, positively have to have a Rolex, how about this Bulova that was worn on the moon?

http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-1 ... ulova.html

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Reading this thread, I guess my desire for an Apple Watch is not out of line.

8-)

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Happy Birthday! I would suggest a recently serviced pre-owned Rolex in mint condition. Plenty to choose from sold by reputable internet sellers.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:18 pm

Who wears watches anymore?

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:23 pm

I wear a watch for work because I do tasks that are specially timed and It is useful to have a count down timer that follows me around and beeps to remind me it is done.

However, I wear a $20 Casio watch that has more functions than I need. If it were me I'd buy a $20 watch and a $4980 road bike. No watch could valuable enough to me to warrant a $5k price.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Mister Whale wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:43 pm
I'm considering purchasing an Omega Speedmaster Pro as a gift for my father for the occasion of his retirement. Can't decide between the 3573.50.00 ("sapphire sandwich") or the 3570.50.00 (hesalite crystal and solid back, a more authentic "moonwatch" than the 3573). As a teenager he avidly followed the race to the moon; hence the desireability of "authenticity." Both retail for a bit under $5000.
I didn't get the moon watch solely because it's manual wind.

I went with the speed master pro. 12 years later, it's running great and looks new.

I also paid cash and was agile to negotiate a 33% discount.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm

"He who does not have his Rolex by the Age of 50 id a Failure."

Wow, good for me, just made it at 50 when in 1990 I bought a Rolex at Itewon in Seoul for $25.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 pm

likegarden wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Wow, good for me, just made it at 50 when in 1990 I bought a Rolex at Itewon in Seoul for $25.
I used to play golf with a retired jewelry store owner. He said the "cheaper" Rolex's were called, "Faulex". :shock:
My most expensive watch is a Seiko solar with leather strap. $70.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:19 pm

When I saw this thread pop up this morning, I thought, "Wow. Another $5,000 watch thread."

Now that I see that the original thread has simply been revived, it is decidedly less awesome.

JT

ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 pm
likegarden wrote:

I used to play golf with a retired jewelry store owner. He said the "cheaper" Rolex's were called, "Faulex". :shock:
Did you buy it 2nd hand on Ebay? otherwise....

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:41 pm

ebrasmus21 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:20 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 pm
likegarden wrote:

Did you buy it 2nd hand on Ebay? otherwise....
LOLOL :D

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:58 pm

I did not buy the bulky looking Rolex shown in this thread in Seoul. They had a slim one with diamonds, $25 was good, lasted several years, and people were impressed.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm

It's been nine years. Shouldn't this be Best watch for around $6,000

SuperSaver

Post by SuperSaver » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:03 pm

Wanted to add my 2cents on this. This post really got me thinking of high-quality watches. After extensive research, I weighed the multiple options:

1) Buying new from auth. dealer
2) Buying "gray" and new from online store (ie Jomashop)
3) Buying new with valid warranty from "trusted seller" from Watch forums
4) Buying used from Chrono24,Crown& Caliber, etc

I got lucky, and bought 2 incredible "like-new" watches
- 2015 Omega Planet Ocean via Craiglist. Seller wanted cash to fund new Rolex purchase. I paid 50% off new MSRP. Great condition. Absolutely love it
- 2017 Speedy Pro via eBay. Seller wanted cash to fund vintage speedy pro. Came in with "presentation box"

So, I purchased two incredible watches for the price of a new one. It took quite a bit of time to vet the seller, etc. But it was well worth it.

Yes, a CASIO is cheaper and more reliable. But I love the heritage of watchmaking, and it's the only luxury item I use.

Gently used, light-used is the way to go. Don't ever buy new from boutique.

Cheers

ragabnh

Post by ragabnh » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 pm

I received as a gift a good looking RADO DiaStar watch valued at $500, it is automatic movement and Swiss made. I think it is a good value for this type of watch and I had for 4 years so far.

Always bought Seiko or Casio watches, and had another gift watch in 1988 and it was Baume Et Mercier Quartz gold plated watch, it is working till this time with replacement batteries.

Marjimmy

Post by Marjimmy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:33 pm

I remember my Rolex thread, now I just stick to my $100 Gshock :oops:
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:27 pm

There is something very cool about an automatic mechanical watch. I appreciate the fact that they are not electronic. About 15 years ago I looked at a Rolex sub. Nice watch but seemed a little small and didn't wow me. An Omega Seamaster did. Beautiful watch that I still own.

However, I have mostly been buying and wearing Seiko mechanical dive watches. They are a true "in-house" brand with a history in diving that rivals Rolex, Omega, etc. Amazing watches for about $300. Picked up a black "Turtle" and still can't believe how great a watch it is. Easily rivals watches 5 times the price.

If you want to get fancy take a look at the Grand Seiko line. There is a Seiko boutique in NYC that carries them. They start at about $2000 and go to over $100k. All handmade in Japan. Don't own one but the reviews have been that the movement, finishing, etc are superior to Rolex and are more in line with Patek, etc.(just the messenger here). I can say that from some of the pictures I have seen, they are stunning. There is a new 46mm diver (600m) that is incredible.

As mak1277 mentioned above, Tudor is a beautiful watch and a great choice. Wear it in good health.

mark4269

Post by mark4269 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:54 pm

Seiko dive watches are unimpeachable as far as value is concerned. But there are well-documented quality control issues, particularly with the non-Japanese made watches, which I believe subsumes all the popular SKX watches. I don't know where these watches are manufactured (or by whom) -- presumably Indonesia or Malaysia, perhaps China or Korea.

The Japanese domestic watches are uniformly superb. One can buy a very good Seiko JDM for $300 to $600 USD from a reputable Asian-based (Hong Kong or Japan specifically) reseller.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:15 pm

mark4269 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:54 pm
Seiko dive watches are unimpeachable as far as value is concerned. But there are well-documented quality control issues, particularly with the non-Japanese made watches, which I believe subsumes all the popular SKX watches.
+1 on Seiko automatic divers -- two in our household. A relative recently found a new Japanese-made SKX online for < $200 -- subtly different from my presumably Chinese-made version. I didn't know to look out for the difference when I bought mine.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Candor

Post by Candor » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:57 pm

I have a Rolex Sea-Dweller that recently stopped working. I've had it for 10 years and at the 5 year mark it needed a service for several hundred dollars ($800+ if I remember correctly) and apparently it now needs another. I knew the recommendation was to service it at the 5 year mark being a mechanical watch but I've seen many instances of the watches going for 10-20 years before needing a service. I bought a Seiko turtle dive watch for the interim and now I'm debating whether I want to send in the Rolex. Not quite at the level of quality of the Rolex but not that far considering the price.