Best watch for around $5,000? [Archived]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hicabob

Re: Best watch for around $5,000?

Post by hicabob »

edawg wrote:None are the best for $5000. I'm no bleeding heart, but seriously, children die of hunger and exposure in America every day and vanity causes some people to buy $5,000 watches?

Put $50 into a Timex and put $4550 into programs to help children and single mothers in distress. That experience will pay you and society back 100-fold!

to say nothing of the fancy suits, cars, wine, houses, art and boats people buy! :twisted:

- the nice thing about having made a few bucks is that one can choose what to do with it (although others always seem to know what you should do with it) .
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

hicabob wrote: (although others always seem to know what you should do with it)
This is the best part.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

edawg wrote:None are the best for $5000. I'm no bleeding heart, but seriously, children die of hunger and exposure in America every day and vanity causes some people to buy $5,000 watches?

Put $50 into a Timex and put $4550 into programs to help children and single mothers in distress. That experience will pay you and society back 100-fold!
Don't get off-topic. I don't want a thread I started that now has 100,000 views locked down. It's kind of like my Sistine Chapel.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dieharder wrote:
This is the best part.
The point of this forum is to have discussions, rather than declarations, and particularly, discussions about what to do with money.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

The Dark Knight wrote:That being said, I could have sworn there is a model with a solid back and a sapphire crystal for the dial. That could be an option as well.
There is, I believe -- made for only a short while and hard to find.

Thanks for your input!
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
chaz

Post by chaz »

Petrocelli wrote:

Don't get off-topic. I don't want a thread I started that now has 100,000 views locked down. It's kind of like my Sistine Chapel.
People continue to buy watches, but my cell phone has accurate time as well as my computer, so I will not need to replace my Omega Seamaster.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
jasonlitka

Post by jasonlitka »

Not $5K, but I just picked up one of these earlier in the week.

http://www.tagheuer.com/html.php/int-en ... elet-watch

A pin in the band on my Citizen snapped a month or so ago and I was having a real hard time finding a replacement. I eventually did, but not until a day after I bought this. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Fixed the link.
Last edited by jasonlitka on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Litka
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

VictoriaF wrote:
Dieharder wrote:
This is the best part.
The point of this forum is to have discussions, rather than declarations, and particularly, discussions about what to do with money.

Victoria
I thought the point of this forum is to discuss advice inspired by Jack Bogle, and Jack never said you should not buy a $5000 watch, he of course would detest OP investing in high load nigh ER mutual funds, but a $5000 watch, nah, don't think so.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

I thought the point of this forum is to discuss advice inspired by Jack Bogle, and Jack never said you should not buy a $5000 watch, he of course would detest OP investing in high load nigh ER mutual funds, but a $5000 watch, nah, don't think so.
Mr. Bogle wears a $17.00 watch given to him by a friend while he was in the hospital getting ready to receive a heart transplant. He told me this himself.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

this surprised me - but luxury watches have been not too bad an investment over the years ...

http://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm

we need Petro to start a watch etf! :happy
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Mr. Bogle wears a $17.00 watch given to him by a friend while he was in the hospital getting ready to receive a heart transplant. He told me this himself.

Best wishes.
Taylor
I don't even have a watch, my cost is zero. I have a mobile phone that I received for free for signing up a 2 yr contract at the lowest monthly fees possible through my carrier, I use the phone for time. Does that mean, I should detest OP buying a $5000 watch? Its his money to spend. On second thoughts, I think it is wasteful spending, which I would never do, but still his choice.
E-M-H

Post by E-M-H »

Keeping things on point for this forum: A properly chosen used watch can be a relatively low-risk purchase. I hesitate to call this an investment because I'm not sure how watches would fit into an IPS. The prices of the premium brands (Patek, Rolex, and a few others) are tightly controlled and only go in one direction. Used watches typically don't depreciate and over the years, for certain premium brands, the prices of used models have generally reflected the somewhat inflated price increases of new watches. N.B., you need to know what you are doing and your mileage may vary.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Omegas can vary widely in cost.

http://www.authenticwatches.com/omega-s ... -42mm.html

I was lucky to buy mine in 1961.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
SuzyC

Post by SuzyC »

I don't want a thread I started that now has 100,000 views locked down. It's kind of like my Sistine Chapel.
The occasional resurfacing of this thread is like the appearance of a double rainbow. Delightful, and makes one feel lucky to be alive.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dieharder wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Dieharder wrote:
This is the best part.

Victoria
I am not expressing an opinion on whether Petrocelli should buy an expensive watch. I am saying that when we have a discussion here we should expect to see arguments that contradict our plans and opinions. And so the statement that "others always seem to know what you should do with it" is a reflection of the nature of these discussions. The response "This is the best part" seemed to treat the statement about "others" as a clever retort rather than a part of the discourse.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

For the record I didn't buy a $5,000 watch. After researching the issue, I found that the luxury watches I really like cost in the $10,000 to $25,000 range.

Also, for the record, I didn't ask if if I should buy a $5,000 watch, or whether Jack Bogle wears a $5,000 watch. I asked what is the best watch for around $5,000. Somewhere in the thread, I actually got several helpful answers.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

It's been a fun 13 pages, anyway. :D
pjstack
Cash

Post by Cash »

I purchased this watch (lightly used, so not full price) about two years ago. Still one of my favorite purchases ever.

Kuota Rider

Post by Kuota Rider »

I have a very intelligent (and wealthy) relative who owns 2 $20 watches: 1 for standard time and 1 for daylight savings time. I love it.
Elysium

Post by Elysium »

VictoriaF wrote:
Dieharder wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Dieharder wrote:
This is the best part.

Victoria
I am not expressing an opinion on whether Petrocelli should buy an expensive watch. I am saying that when we have a discussion here we should expect to see arguments that contradict our plans and opinions. And so the statement that "others always seem to know what you should do with it" is a reflection of the nature of these discussions. The response "This is the best part" seemed to treat the statement about "others" as a clever retort rather than a part of the discourse.

Victoria
Where is the sense of humor? if we can't take a lighthearted poke at ourselves even on a thread like this, then some of us may be taking ourselves too seriously.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

Also, for the record, I didn't ask if if I should buy a $5,000 watch, or whether Jack Bogle wears a $5,000 watch. I asked what is the best watch for around $5,000. Somewhere in the thread, I actually got several helpful answers.

Does this mean you agree with the folks who said not to bother buying a $5,000 watch?
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Petrocelli seldom admits taking advice from Bogleheads! :happy
pjstack
pinebarrens1

Post by pinebarrens1 »

G Shocks are nice. You won't get anxiety if you bang it, drop it, leave it at the bottom of the pool. I think Bear Grylls wears one now so he don't damage his less rugged breitling

Oh, best watch for $5000? Seiko Grand Diver Spring Drive. World's best automatic. Or semi-automatic....
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

I remember thinking, when I first saw this thread, that Petro wouldn't be able to find what he wants for $5,000. It appears I was right. But this thread has always been, in part, and like so much of this site, about competitive piety. I am quite happy with the luxury goods I consume.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

pjstack wrote:Petrocelli seldom admits taking advice from Bogleheads! :happy
Not true. It's because of the old Diehards that I moved my company's 401(k) to Vanguard. :moneybag
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

ataloss wrote:Also, for the record, I didn't ask if if I should buy a $5,000 watch, or whether Jack Bogle wears a $5,000 watch. I asked what is the best watch for around $5,000. Somewhere in the thread, I actually got several helpful answers.

Does this mean you agree with the folks who said not to bother buying a $5,000 watch?
No. It means I couldn't find a watch I like for $5,000. Most of the luxury watched in that range are too heavy. I like a thinner watch. Here's the watch I wear now.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4624
stratton

Post by stratton »

Petrocelli wrote: No. It means I couldn't find a watch I like for $5,000. Most of the luxury watched in that range are too heavy. I like a thinner watch. Here's the watch I wear now.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=4624
$98 ?

Petro, you cheapskate!

You've been holding out on us. :moneybag

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I wonder if Rolex is doing watches with a telephone, camera and internet access in it for $5,000 so people with money are able to buy it. Paying $5,000. and only see time seems to be dysfunctional nowadays. Perhaps they put diamonds on smart phones?
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Bernd wrote:I wonder if Rolex is doing watches with a telephone, camera and internet access in it for $5,000 so people with money are able to buy it. Paying $5,000. and only see time seems to be dysfunctional nowadays. Perhaps they put diamonds on smart phones?

Vertu.

http://www.vertu.com/en/discover-vertu/ ... rrari.aspx
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Petrocelli wrote:
pjstack wrote:Petrocelli seldom admits taking advice from Bogleheads! :happy
Not true. It's because of the old Diehards that I moved my company's 401(k) to Vanguard. :moneybag
I stand corrected (as usual).
pjstack
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

eucalyptus wrote:
Bernd wrote:I wonder if Rolex is doing watches with a telephone, camera and internet access in it for $5,000 so people with money are able to buy it. Paying $5,000. and only see time seems to be dysfunctional nowadays. Perhaps they put diamonds on smart phones?

Vertu.

http://www.vertu.com/en/discover-vertu/ ... rrari.aspx

I have the basic Vertu Signature leather and brushed stainless on my desk (at work, test phone, or was at one time, needs a new battery and a reason to test anything on it)...It __IS__ pretty sexy looking--for a feature phone. Vertu was Nokia's high-end design brand till recently: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertu

But the phone industry's been so hot and new feature driven that they don't have time to really keep up (especially Nokia). Apparently the diamond-barnacles grow too slowly.

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course. Refer to Forum Policy:
Locked Topics

Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Update: Thread unlocked, see below (page 15).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Petrocelli

I think I just got a $5,000 watch for Christmas

Post by Petrocelli »

[Thread unlocked, see below (page 15). --admin LadyGeek]

I haven't posted in a while.

About 15 minutes ago, I opened my Christmas gift from my wife. She got me a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust.

I think I finally have a $5,000 watch.

Merry Christmas!
Jack FFR1846

Re: I think I just got a $5,000 watch for Christmas

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

A late reward for the 67 Pennant?

Congrats
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

It's about time.

(Sorry, just couldn't resist.... :wink: )
chaz

Post by chaz »

Not a knockoff?
Mister Whale

Post by Mister Whale »

Subscribed for the ride.
" ... advice is most useful and at its best, not when it is telling you what to do, but when it is illuminating aspects of the situation you hadn't thought about." --nisiprius
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

Very happy for you, Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine!
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Even I feel warm all over after reading this post. Congrats!

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mwm158

Post by mwm158 »

deleted
Last edited by mwm158 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Worth the wait?
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

It is absolutely gorgeous.

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Finally! :P :beer
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Congratulations, Petrocelli.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Congratulations.... :happy a treasure.
roka

Post by roka »

Wow! Congratulatons!
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

A timely Christmas gift. :)

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
JSMill

Post by JSMill »

Congratulations! The $5000 watch thread was one of my favorites
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Petro,

Are you sure that this watch is not a fake? :oops: