how to stop gmail spam filtering?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mouses

how to stop gmail spam filtering?

Post by mouses » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:18 am

A couple of times a month, gmail puts an email into the spam folder, and 99% of the time it is valid email. I use thunderbird to download email to my laptop, which doesn't get stuff from the spam folder, so I go to the website once a day or so to look at the spam folder. Yesterday I missed an email from my doctor, which was the last straw.

So I looked for how to fix this, since google is so arrogant they don't have a no spam filtering option, since of course they always determine if an email is spam with 100% accuracy. I found this:

https://webapps.stackexchange.com/quest ... completely

but some of the comments say it isn't sufficient.

Anyone know a way that works to send all incoming email to the inbox? Thanks.

montanagirl

Re: how to stop gmail spam filtering?

Post by montanagirl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 am

I don't know the answer but Outlook has been doing the same thing for a few years now. I've written rules that certain senders like my employer were safe and it made no difference.

Good luck.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am

Have you tried marking the emails as "Not spam" when you find them there, and has that not worked for future emails?

sport

Post by sport » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 am

If the filtered mail is from the same few senders, over and over, you can write your own filter to send all mail from each of those senders to your inbox.

Topic Author
mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:19 am

Steelersfan wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:01 am
Have you tried marking the emails as "Not spam" when you find them there, and has that not worked for future emails?
Yes, I do that so it moves them to the inbox so thunderbird can download them. gmail is a slow learner. I probably marked 4 or more NordicWare emails as not spam before it finally stopped considering them spam. And it doesn't help with situations like yesterday's, when it has been handling someone's email correctly for months and suddenly decided it was spam.

Topic Author
mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

sport wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 am
If the filtered mail is from the same few senders, over and over, you can write your own filter to send all mail from each of those senders to your inbox.
It seems to be pretty random as to what sender it decides is sending spam.

arf30

Post by arf30 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 am

The correct way is to whitelist the sender. Click the 3 dots on the right hand side of the email -> "Filter messages like these" -> "Create Filter" -> select "Never send it to Spam".

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 am

In addition to whitelisting, ...

I'd tell my doctor office staff, then my doctor that their e-mail goes a spam folder and get them to change their e-mail so that it doesn't look like spam e-mail. They are probably using a service that they can simply forward your comments to.

Because of privacy laws, I don't get e-mails from my physicians. I have them leave a voice mail on my cell phone that I need to check their "patient portal" for a new message. I think this is pretty typical nowadays.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.