Do we have any New Jersey teachers here?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Do we have any New Jersey teachers here?

Post by Bob Sacamano » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 am

my wife and i are looking to move to NJ. my wife is currently a teacher in NY. she is looking for, and finding it very hard to find, a teaching job in NJ.

i know how difficult the teaching landscape is in NJ - typically the good districts have their pick of the litter and will go with family, friends, former students, etc. before they even consider anyone else.

that said, are there any tips or insights that might help us here? any advice on whether or not networking (LinkedIn? Career Fairs?) makes any sense.

again, i realize this is an uphill battle but hopefully not an impossibility. looking forward to the discussion. thank you.

unstartable

Re: Do we have any New Jersey teachers here?

Post by unstartable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:12 am

njfastlife wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:55 am
my wife and i are looking to move to NJ. my wife is currently a teacher in NY. she is looking for, and finding it very hard to find, a teaching job in NJ.

i know how difficult the teaching landscape is in NJ - typically the good districts have their pick of the litter and will go with family, friends, former students, etc. before they even consider anyone else.

that said, are there any tips or insights that might help us here? any advice on whether or not networking (LinkedIn? Career Fairs?) makes any sense.

again, i realize this is an uphill battle but hopefully not an impossibility. looking forward to the discussion. thank you.
I am in CT and a teacher. The landscape is probably similar. What helps the most is being certified in a subject or area without lots of supply. Elementary jobs are as your describe. Math, science, and special ed seem to have much less competition.

Networking is important as well, start subbing and applying for long term sub jobs. A sub who does a good job, wants to be a teacher, and is well known is likely to get a job eventually.

Apply for jobs in the town you live in. You may get a little extra consideration if there's lots of applications for living in town.

There is surprisingly no financial incentive for working in a less desirable district, but those kids need good teachers too.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am

I work for HR in a NJ Public School System.

In my personal experience, the most effective way would be to attend career fairs. They have large expo's during the Spring, some with over 100 schools. Brush up on your interviewing abilities, and obviously bring the necessities. Portfolio, resume, cert printout, etc.

Beginning as a leave replacement is also an excellent foot in the door. We are a very large district, so when an effective leave replacement's contract is ending, they typically have a full time opening ready for them.

I'm not sure how NY recruiting works, but NJ uses Applitrack. If you know a school is attending a career fair, it always looks good to have already applied to their opening on Applitrack.

Moving to NJ, I'm sure you know you will have to have your transcripts and certifications evaluated. It is very common for out of state teachers to have to enter the Alternate Route Program. This occurs if the NJ DOE deems that the education you've completed does not meet the current requirements in NJ. Note, if you have to enter into the Alternate Route there are some hefty costs if your district doesn't pick it up. The alt. route differs based on what certification you hold.

Hope this helps :sharebeer
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 am

buccimane wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am

In my personal experience, the most effective way would be to attend career fairs. They have large expo's during the Spring, some with over 100 schools. Brush up on your interviewing abilities, and obviously bring the necessities. Portfolio, resume, cert printout, etc.

Beginning as a leave replacement is also an excellent foot in the door. We are a very large district, so when an effective leave replacement's contract is ending, they typically have a full time opening ready for them.

I'm not sure how NY recruiting works, but NJ uses Applitrack. If you know a school is attending a career fair, it always looks good to have already applied to their opening on Applitrack.

Moving to NJ, I'm sure you know you will have to have your transcripts and certifications evaluated. It is very common for out of state teachers to have to enter the Alternate Route Program. This occurs if the NJ DOE deems that the education you've completed does not meet the current requirements in NJ. Note, if you have to enter into the Alternate Route there are some hefty costs if your district doesn't pick it up. The alt. route differs based on what certification you hold.

this is incredibly helpful, thank you.

are there any specific career fairs to look out for - or places to learn about their happenings?

we are mainly focused on Monmouth County if it makes any difference.

i do realize subbing and leave replacements are great but that is a hard sell given that she has a great, tenured job now. she wouldn't want to, nor would i, bail on a good gig for something completely unsure. and yes, this certainly makes the search a bit harder.

in regards to certs. she is fully certified to teach elementary as well as TESOL (i believe) in both NY and NJ.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm

[/quote]

in regards to certs. she is fully certified to teach elementary as well as TESOL (i believe) in both NY and NJ.
[/quote]

Just because you are certified to teach on one state there is not always a direct reciprocity. When we moved to NC to teach, our Pa certs did not line up and we had to take a few more praxis exams.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

forgeblast wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:42 pm
[/quote]

Just because you are certified to teach on one state there is not always a direct reciprocity. When we moved to NC to teach, our Pa certs did not line up and we had to take a few more praxis exams.
[/quote]

agreed. but she definitely has both certs.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

It probably varies depending on the district, but in general I think the NY suburbs and even NYC pay more than the NJ suburbs.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:09 pm

bsteiner wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm
It probably varies depending on the district, but in general I think the NY suburbs and even NYC pay more than the NJ suburbs.
It's not even the pay, look at NYS/NYC union and TRS benefits compared to NJ. NJ teachers pension plan is woefully underfunded, NYC/NYS teachers plan is fully funded, as mandated by NYS Constitution it requires the pension plans to be funded as actuarially required. NJ on the other hand puts money in when it feels like it or when it actually has the money to do so. Given the OP's wife is already tenured and realizing that Monmouth County is not exactly close to any of the other boroughs but Staten Island, I can see the hesitancy of the wife to toss away a "sure" thing for an "iffy" thing.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:09 pm
bsteiner wrote:
It's not even the pay, look at NYS/NYC union and TRS benefits compared to NJ. NJ teachers pension plan is woefully underfunded, NYC/NYS teachers plan is fully funded, as mandated by NYS Constitution it requires the pension plans to be funded as actuarially required. NJ on the other hand puts money in when it feels like it or when it actually has the money to do so. Given the OP's wife is already tenured and realizing that Monmouth County is not exactly close to any of the other boroughs but Staten Island, I can see the hesitancy of the wife to toss away a "sure" thing for an "iffy" thing.
definitely a valid concern however NY real estate prices and the fact that we don't particularly love the state (at least compared to comparable NJ towns), has her searching for a potential new district.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:40 pm

njfastlife wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:09 pm
bsteiner wrote:
definitely a valid concern however NY real estate prices and the fact that we don't particularly love the state (at least compared to comparable NJ towns), has her searching for a potential new district.
Get over it, the first thing you need to protect is your "wallet". NJ real estate prices are not that much better, NJ has the highest real estate taxes nationwide. If you want to move close to the shore, move to Long Island, though those taxes aren't that pretty either and the traffic is atrocious no matter what time of day.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:08 pm

my sister is a NJ teacher. the pay is really good, most teachers start around $50K or more, they work 5 45 minute classes then 2 planning and a hall duty, so basically work 4 hours a day, for 8 months..... Basically every teaching job is not only taken, but every single female we know who doesn't have a job is a teacher, we have such a HUGE amount of teachers, especially early education and disabilities, that there are many more people looking than jobs available. Then you have to know someone or you are out of luck. Or you have to teach HS and a STEM subject, that is where there is less supply, but early education with special ed is what everyone has a degree in.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:17 am

I've been a downstate NY teacher for 15-ish years. I don't know about the NJ job market, but the NY job market has become very tight. Many of the "good" districts are experiencing declining enrollment and have been laying off teachers. For elementary, is it particularly bad. I think the bottom of our seniority list has at least 12 years in-district. Everyone else has been laid off. Secondary subject areas also have many applicants for few jobs. From what I understand, Physics is the most in-demand cert. I imagine things could be similar in NJ. Assuming that your wife is tenured, just remember that she will be giving that up and moving to the bottom of the seniority list in her new district.

setancre

Post by setancre » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:53 am

njfastlife wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 am
buccimane wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:44 am

this is incredibly helpful, thank you.

are there any specific career fairs to look out for - or places to learn about their happenings?

we are mainly focused on Monmouth County if it makes any difference.

i do realize subbing and leave replacements are great but that is a hard sell given that she has a great, tenured job now. she wouldn't want to, nor would i, bail on a good gig for something completely unsure. and yes, this certainly makes the search a bit harder.

There is much less job security working as a teacher in NJ compared to NYC (which has an incredibly strong teacher's union) and NJ pay is also lower. When we moved to NJ, my husband chose to move to a school in Staten Island and commute daily (30-40 min drive depending on traffic). There are several other teachers at his school that also live in NJ.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

There is much less job security working as a teacher in NJ compared to NYC (which has an incredibly strong teacher's union) and NJ pay is also lower. When we moved to NJ, my husband chose to move to a school in Staten Island and commute daily (30-40 min drive depending on traffic). There are several other teachers at his school that also live in NJ.
admittedly i never even thought about SI but that's not a terrible idea.

curious where in NJ you are and just how bad the commute is for your husband?

thanks.

setancre

Post by setancre » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm

njfastlife wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

thanks.
We live in Middlesex county, but Monmouth county would probably be even more convenient depending on which town you target. If you can find a school in SI close to the Outerbridge, the commute would be even shorter. Traffic is not terrible because he is typically driving early, before the worst of rush hour kicks in.

Topic Author
Bob Sacamano

Post by Bob Sacamano » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:04 pm

setancre wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:00 pm
njfastlife wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:02 am

thanks.
We live in Middlesex county, but Monmouth county would probably be even more convenient depending on which town you target. If you can find a school in SI close to the Outerbridge, the commute would be even shorter. Traffic is not terrible because he is typically driving early, before the worst of rush hour kicks in.
thanks this is very helpful! it gives us some hope that we might be able to find a decent solution. we will start our search. thank you.