TVs: OLED vs. QLED

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RollTide31457

TVs: OLED vs. QLED

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 am

Which is worth the money? Is “burn in” a real concern?

bubbadog

Re: TVs: OLED vs. QLED

Post by bubbadog » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:40 am

For me the superior picture quality of OLED is worth the risk of burn in. I am considering purchasing an OLED tv and my research suggests that burn in affects a very small percentage of owners who keep static images on the screen for a very long time. If you play games all day or leave the tv on CNN all day, your risk of burn in increases. I suspect for most owners who vary their use, it is not an issue. The televisions also have built in measures that mitigate the risk (pixel refresh and pixel shift). 4K images on an OLED TV look spectacular!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am

+1 to everything bubbadog said.

ETA: RE burnin: I got a large LED screen for the kids to play video games on.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:47 am

Dark room get OLED if there is alot of ambient light then QLED. One other TV I would consider if you watch alot of regular cable content vs 4k movies is the Sony 900f series because of great picture no matter what the ambient lighting and also because of the outstanding up-scaling of SD content to 4K - unless you want to splurge on the Sony OLED which have much better up-scaling than LG OLED because of the better processor.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 am

OLED

QLED is just a marketing spin on LED, and even the most expensive and best performing LED/QLED displays can’t come close to matching the color accuracy and black levels of the cheapest OLED

New models are coming out around now so keep an eye out for deals. My dad recently purchased an LG 65” C8 OLED from Costco for $1.9k. A week after they bought it Costco raised the price to $2.5k. The 2019 version should be released in April/May so the price on the 2018 should drop back down in the near future

For what it’s worth my dad is 76 and has mediocre eyesight. He’s also very cheap. When he was looking at TV I suggested OLED and he balked at the price. When he saw the OLED vs the QLED in person he didn’t think twice and went with OLED.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

I have an LG OLED TV, OLED65B7, one of the 2017 models. I play a lot of video games and have not experienced burn in, or at least I have not tested for it or noticed it.

My panel does have some uniformity issues which can be noticeable in scenes with large swaths of uniformly dark or close to black colors, especially if panning. It manifests as vertical bands going across the screen. On average, the issue probably pops up in about half the things I watch (episodes of TV, movies) for 1 or 2 seconds. It has been there since I owned the TV. Doing some research now, it seems like LG might have a potential fix even outside the warranty. I'm outside of the manufacturer warranty, but I might make a claim under my credit card's warranty extension if LG won't fix it under their warranty. Consensus seems to be that the uniform issue is a random occurrence, so you might not have the issue or even notice it. Google the issue to learn about it.

Otherwise, I think the TV is incredible. HDR content blows me away. I paid $1600 for the OLED65B7 about 15 months ago.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am

QLED is better but OLED is cheaper.

Look at both and decide how much you want to spend.

When I bought a while back OLED cost double. I bought QLED which was a great improvement over what it replaced. Still very happy with it.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:17 am
This is backwards.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

I have a couple of nice Panasonic Plasma TVs that are getting older and I'm not looking forward to figuring out what to get next. The LED tvs were always too bright IMO. I haven't looked at the newer technologies. My tvs are getting old, I'm guessing about 9 and 12 years old? So the time will come soon.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 am

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
This is backwards.
Oopsle. I had it right in the last sentence though.

It's important to mind your Ps and Qs, and also Os.

pahkcah

Post by pahkcah » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:46 pm

We have two OLED TVs and a QLED TV. The OLED TVs have a better overall picture, offering perfect blacks, which look better in rooms where the lighting isn’t bright. They can also be viewed from wider angles than the QLED TV without losing too much color and contrast. If the TV will be in a bright room, let’s say with a good amount of sunshine, the QLED will look better. In general, the QLED colors (especially in HDR) seem to be more vibrant in general lighting.

I’d recommend checking out the reviews at RTINGS.com. Look at the videos for the Q9FN (QLED) and C8 (OLED) narrated by Daniel to get a good idea of the differences.

One other item: The OLED panels are thinner. They do not use a back panel to provide screen lighting, as LED and QLED TVs do.

Pahkcah

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:21 pm

cashmoney wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am
RollTide31457 wrote:

Dark room get OLED if there is alot of ambient light then QLED. One other TV I would consider if you watch alot of regular cable content vs 4k movies is the Sony 900f series because of great picture no matter what the ambient lighting and also because of the outstanding up-scaling of SD content to 4K - unless you want to splurge on the Sony OLED which have much better up-scaling than LG OLED because of the better processor.
After extensive research on TVs in 2018, I bought a Sony 930E. It has a fantastic picture and it was considered one of the best non OLED TVs. I really liked the LG OLED models but I could never get comfortable with the OLED burn in risk, although I understand it is a low percentage. It is my understanding that the newer 900 series does not have all the features of the 930E

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 am
Ketawa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:26 am
adamthesmythe wrote:
This is backwards.
Oopsle. I had it right in the last sentence though.

It's important to mind your Ps and Qs, and also Os.
The QLED name almost seems deliberately chosen to invite confusion. Purely an accident, I'm sure :)

cashmoney

Post by cashmoney » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:55 pm

carolinaman wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:21 pm
cashmoney wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:06 am
RollTide31457 wrote:

After extensive research on TVs in 2018, I bought a Sony 930E. It has a fantastic picture and it was considered one of the best non OLED TVs. I really liked the LG OLED models but I could never get comfortable with the OLED burn in risk, although I understand it is a low percentage. It is my understanding that the newer 900 series does not have all the features of the 930E

I actually have the most excellent Sony 930E myself since I am a little OCD when it comes to picture quality but for most people the picture quality of Sony 900F will blow them away with most content and its cheaper.I think the 900f is the best all around TV for most people.I decided against OLED because I didn't think the picture was that great unless it was playing 4k content.

shans2000

Post by shans2000 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:28 pm

+1 for Sony. I have the 940E and the picture quality is amazing! When I was buying a couple of years ago, Amazon reviews for OLED were terrible specially for the long term reliability.

Topic Author
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks! Is $2500 a good price for the LG OLED65C8 model?

dave_k

Post by dave_k » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:57 am

+1 for OLED. I have the LG 2017 model and haven't had any burn in issues, only very brief image retention after having static high contrast content on the screen, and even then it's only noticeable against a solid background. The image quality can't be beat. Of course 4k HDR content looks the best, but in response to claims that the picture isn't great with HD content, if that's true at all it's only because it shows off the flaws off lower resolution and more compressed content (like banding and blocking) better than TVs that mask it with lower contrast.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:20 am

telemark wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:44 pm
The QLED name almost seems deliberately chosen to invite confusion. Purely an accident, I'm sure :)
It's what you would call a "happy accident". I suspect it went something like this:

"How are we going to compete with OLED sets?"

"This new Quantum Dot technology is a really big step up from our current stuff"

"Quantum Dot? No one knows what that means. How do we make it sexy?"

"Well it starts with Q, and Q looks a lot like O. How about we call it QLED?"

"PERFECT!"

desihorn

Post by desihorn » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:22 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:08 am
OLED

QLED is just a marketing spin on LED, and even the most expensive and best performing LED/QLED displays can’t come close to matching the color accuracy and black levels of the cheapest OLED

New models are coming out around now so keep an eye out for deals. My dad recently purchased an LG 65” C8 OLED from Costco for $1.9k. A week after they bought it Costco raised the price to $2.5k. The 2019 version should be released in April/May so the price on the 2018 should drop back down in the near future

For what it’s worth my dad is 76 and has mediocre eyesight. He’s also very cheap. When he was looking at TV I suggested OLED and he balked at the price. When he saw the OLED vs the QLED in person he didn’t think twice and went with OLED.
Argh. I know that one. I put that in my online costco cart at $1900. Now the price is back upto $2500. Thanks for the info on the new version

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:17 am
No. My dad purchased at Costco less than a month ago for $1,950. They have since jacked it to $2.5k.

The C9 will be in stores in a month so they’ll have to drop the price on the C8 to clear them out.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:49 pm

Oled is light years better than Qled. It is very similar in picture quality and experience to plasma, with even deeper picture quality and infinite blacks.

Burn in is not really a thing unless you’re actively abusing your tv by jacking up all the settings and pausing the picture for long periods of time.

And buy at Costco. They may not be the rock bottom cheapest vendor, but their return policy and desire to stand behind products they sell outweigh saving a few dollars on the internet.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:28 am

Is is also better to buy a computer at Costco for this reason (that they have good return/repair policy)? Thx.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 am

My co-worker has a 3 year old LG OLED and he mentioned that last week he was some signs of burn in from the local NBC logo. This NBC logo is only present during the local news so less than 4 hours a day, and he doesn't watch every minute of the news. I haven't heard back if there is anything he can do but this is moderately concerning.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:56 am

dsmclone wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:53 am
My co-worker has a 3 year old LG OLED and he mentioned that last week he was some signs of burn in from the local NBC logo. This NBC logo is only present during the local news so less than 4 hours a day, and he doesn't watch every minute of the news. I haven't heard back if there is anything he can do but this is moderately concerning.
Has he upgraded his software and enabled the anti-burn in features?

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:01 am

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am
My panel does have some uniformity issues which can be noticeable in scenes with large swaths of uniformly dark or close to black colors, especially if panning. It manifests as vertical bands going across the screen. On average, the issue probably pops up in about half the things I watch (episodes of TV, movies) for 1 or 2 seconds. It has been there since I owned the TV. Doing some research now, it seems like LG might have a potential fix even outside the warranty. I'm outside of the manufacturer warranty, but I might make a claim under my credit card's warranty extension if LG won't fix it under their warranty. Consensus seems to be that the uniform issue is a random occurrence, so you might not have the issue or even notice it. Google the issue to learn about it.

Otherwise, I think the TV is incredible. HDR content blows me away. I paid $1600 for the OLED65B7 about 15 months ago.
This is my only real gripe with my LG OLEDs (55", 65", and 77"). It is only noticeable when, for one reason or another, the bandwidth of Netflix or Amazon is low AND there is a very dark scene. It bugs me, but the picture is so stunning otherwise, and it happens so rarely, that I try (well, I do try) to put it out of my mind.

EDITED TO ADD: I went to my TV after posting the above, and lo and behold, the firmware had been updated to 4.10.31, which apparently is the software version that fixes the banding and blocking issue.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:20 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:01 am
Ketawa wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:13 am

This is my only real gripe with my LG OLEDs (55", 65", and 77"). It is only noticeable when, for one reason or another, the bandwidth of Netflix or Amazon is low AND there is a very dark scene. It bugs me, but the picture is so stunning otherwise, and it happens so rarely, that I try (well, I do try) to put it out of my mind.

EDITED TO ADD: I went to my TV after posting the above, and lo and behold, the firmware had been updated to 4.10.31, which apparently is the software version that fixes the banding and blocking issue.
I am debating right now on whether to order a LG 77 inch OLED. I have a 10 year old plasma that works fine but the temptation is strong!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:00 am

bubbadog wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:20 am
I am debating right now on whether to order a LG 77 inch OLED. I have a 10 year old plasma that works fine but the temptation is strong!
Before OLED, I was a big fan of plasma TVs. I don’t have anything bad to say about them (well, other than that they could be used as a room heater and iirc, topped out at 1080p). But, OLED 4K on a 77 inch screen is something to behold. I gave in when the 77 inch no longer needed scientific notation on the price tag.

If you had a run of the mill LCD, I’d be stronger in
recommending OLED. With a plasma, it’s not as clearcut, but . . .

Impromptu

Post by Impromptu » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am

Think of TVs as disposable consumer goods and you will make the right choice. You are going to keep your washer and dryer far longer than you keep your TV.
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

Topic Author
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 pm
RollTide31457 wrote:
No. My dad purchased at Costco less than a month ago for $1,950. They have since jacked it to $2.5k.

The C9 will be in stores in a month so they’ll have to drop the price on the C8 to clear them out.

Good info. Thanks!

Bogle7

TVs and washers

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:06 am

Impromptu wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am
You are going to keep your washer and dryer far longer than you keep your TV.
If only.
Kenmore washer made by LG has control board die at age 7-1/2. Authorized LG repair service says: “Buy a new washer”. We did. A Miele.
Three Panasonic plasma TVs, ages 7-11, are still looking very good.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:02 am
ssquared87 wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
FYI:
If you are comfortable with buying online, Cleveland Plasma is an online retailer with a great reputation and very good prices compared with the big box stores.

mrspock

Post by mrspock » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:46 pm

OLED by a country mile. There’s no comparison.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 am

Somehow I think anyone who grew up with tube-TVs may have a hard time thinking anything beyond regular HD 1080P is more than anyone would need. (I'm still looking in wonder at my good old 52 inch Sony LCD HD tv from 10 years ago).

I can appreciate things like OLED, but it's not something I would really want to upgrade to.

Just my 2 cents and my humble opinion. 'just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.

Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 am

bubbadog wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am
RollTide31457 wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
FYI:
If you are comfortable with buying online, Cleveland Plasma is an online retailer with a great reputation and very good prices compared with the big box stores.
I bought my 58" Panasonic plasma (2008) from Cleveland Plasma. Best price on the net and free shipping. The first one came broken and they simply told me to refuse it and they cross shipped another one on a pallet to make sure it got special treatment.

Old dog is still clicking.

I would buy from them again..

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 am

Figuring_it_out wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 am
bubbadog wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
FYI:
I bought my 58" Panasonic plasma (2008) from Cleveland Plasma. Best price on the net and free shipping. The first one came broken and they simply told me to refuse it and they cross shipped another one on a pallet to make sure it got special treatment.

I just checked out Cleveland Plasma's web site and was puzzled to see that they don't list the prices for any model, nor do they have any information about the various models for sale. Everything just says "due to manufacturer's restrictions on this exact model please call" for details. I call BS on that justification (given that it applies to every "exact model" they sell). Frankly, it makes me very skeptical of their operation. The many typos, grammatical errors, broken links, and incorrect apostrophes littered throughout the site further fuel my suspicions.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 am

deskjockey wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:17 am

I just checked out Cleveland Plasma's web site and was puzzled to see that they don't list the prices for any model, nor do they have any information about the various models for sale. Everything just says "due to manufacturer's restrictions on this exact model please call" for details. I call BS on that justification (given that it applies to every "exact model" they sell). Frankly, it makes me very skeptical of their operation. The many typos, grammatical errors, broken links, and incorrect apostrophes littered throughout the site further fuel my suspicions.
I wonder if something changed. Reseller ratings shows arating of 10 out of 10, with 469 reviews. But there are no reviews for the last 6 months.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

carolinaman

Re: TVs and washers

Post by carolinaman » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:37 am

Bogle7 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:06 am
Impromptu wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:14 am
You are going to keep your washer and dryer far longer than you keep your TV.
If only.
Kenmore washer made by LG has control board die at age 7-1/2. Authorized LG repair service says: “Buy a new washer”. We did. A Miele.
Three Panasonic plasma TVs, ages 7-11, are still looking very good.
Our TVs tend to last a long time. We buy quality set. Sony 40" in 2006, Samsung 52" in 2008. Both still have great picture. In 2018 I bought a Sony 65" 930E for nearly $2k. It had better last a long time. Our washers have lasted comparable times but I have a good friend who does maintenance on washers for GeekSquad. He said that many washers do not last as long due to the expense of repairs nowadays. Many people choose to replace rather than repair. I suppose the same would be true for TVs but we have not had any with our TVs

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:53 am

deskjockey wrote:
Figuring_it_out wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
FYI:

Just call or email them and you will get a price for any make/model that interests you.

I agree their website is not the greatest.

They really do have a great reputation and their prices are significantly less than my local Best Buy.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:28 am

deskjockey wrote:The many typos, grammatical errors, broken links, and incorrect apostrophes littered throughout the site further fuel my suspicions.
I don’t know about the company, but I think it’s sometimes dangerous to extrapolate from things like the “grocer’s apostrophe.” Do you apply that standard here?

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:50 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:28 am
deskjockey wrote:The many typos, grammatical errors, broken links, and incorrect apostrophes littered throughout the site further fuel my suspicions.
I don’t know about the company, but I think it’s sometimes dangerous to extrapolate from things like the “grocer’s apostrophe.” Do you apply that standard here?
By itself, the incorrect use of the apostrophe is not a red flag, although it irritates me to an inordinate degree, but when combined with typos, poor grammar, missing product info, no product pictures, no pricing information, broken links, and a Spartan web site, it paints a negative picture very similar to that of fly-by-night online hucksters and scam sites, which share many of the same flaws. Claiming pricing info can't be show for reasons specific to that particular model, but saying the same thing for every single TV on the site comes off as shady. It's also unnecessary--simply putting stock language on the site saying that pricing will be provided on request would be a far better way of doing the same thing (which appears to be what they did for the hot tubs, oddly enough). I'm not saying this business is not legit, as clearly some folks here have had good experiences, but I'd do more digging before placing an order with them.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:08 am

rgs92 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 am
Somehow I think anyone who grew up with tube-TVs may have a hard time thinking anything beyond regular HD 1080P is more than anyone would need. (I'm still looking in wonder at my good old 52 inch Sony LCD HD tv from 10 years ago).

I can appreciate things like OLED, but it's not something I would really want to upgrade to.

Just my 2 cents and my humble opinion. 'just wondering if anyone else feels the same way.
Yep. I may technically be a "millenial" but I still remember fiddling with the rabbit ears on our 27 inch tube TV, which would take 30 seconds or so to "warm up" after the power button was pressed. In college, I remember buying a "massive" 37 inch TV from the maintenance guy who lived at the top of a spiral staircase. The thing weighed at least 100lbs and took 3 fit college kids to get it into our apartment. Flat panels existed by then, but they were $10,000 status symbols for the rich. Any flat panel TV is a quantum leap from those days, which really wasn't so long ago.

We still have our first flat panel TV, which was a wedding gift from around 10 years ago. It was the cheapest 1080p LED TV you could get in those days, produced by a brand I have not heard of before or since. Yet it just keeps ticking and I can't quite justify an upgrade even though superior models are now $250 Wally World specials. I'm kind of sitting on the sidelines waiting to see if OLED is the next plasma or if it becomes the standard.

Figuring_it_out

Post by Figuring_it_out » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:46 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Figuring_it_out wrote:
bubbadog wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
FYI:

I see the email address Chris@cleveland plasma.. . Thats the guy i dealt with. It is not a Amazon type place. He is just a middleman between the distribution center and you. If you talk to him on the phone he is a very casual guy. Not much professional polish to his pitch.

The guys on AVSforum.com had great reviews of him so I was brave enough to buy my set at $3k from him. Credit card of course. :)

Worked out for me just fine. and NO I am not affiliated with them in any way. just a former customer that appreciated good service when there was an issue.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Not a millennial. My father was one of those amazing people we now call the Greatest Generation.

I remember as a young boy the family receiving a delivery of its first TV, and watching the Howdy Doody show in it. 60+ years ago.

I recently purchased an 85" Sony 900F. I strongly considered LG OLED and Samsung QLED as well.

It's not an easy decision. Each of these makes has advantages and disadvantages.

Weighing in favor of LG is the absolute black of an emissive technology and top notch color fidelity. Weighing against is the potential for image retention and worse, screen size max of 77", higher price, less brightness peak for HDR and less smooth motion handling.

Sony has an intermediate level of maximum brightness, up to 85" size and very good motion handling. The color fidelity is the weakest of the three. It uses full array local dimming to improve black quality.

Samsung has the best brightness, weakest motion handling, and color quality intermediate between Sony and LG.

I chose the Sony because I have room for 85", the demonstrations of HDR programming material I saw looked better than on the LG, and I don't have to worry about burn-in.

You have to decide which is best for you. All three of these sets were greatly superior to the 7 year old 70" set I replaced.

If you are going to see a demo of these sets I would highly recommend including some HDR material in your comparison.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:41 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:17 am

Well, yeah. I watch TV on a 24-inch Dell IPS screen, which also functions as my computer monitor. Sooo much better than what I grew up with, and I'm happy to be off the hedonic treadmill.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Ged wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:37 pm

You have to decide which is best for you. All three of these sets were greatly superior to the 7 year old 70" set I replaced.

If you are going to see a demo of these sets I would highly recommend including some HDR material in your comparison.
They are superior but for most people it just doesn’t matter. Better picture quality is easy to see I. Side by side tests. When your TV is sitting in your house though the difference adds little enjoyment to the experience. If you are one of the few who it matters to, you aren’t posting on Bogleheads about what tv to buy.

FWIW I bet for most people a 75” LED provides a better experience than a 65” oled. Size matters😄

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 pm

If only there was a positive correlation between the improvement in screen technology and television programming in general.

I am the slime oozin out from your TV set........

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:06 pm

OLED is wayyy better. QLED is a marketing gimmick to look like OLED. Just look at them side-by-side at best buy, wow, oled is amazing.

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:37 am

RollTide31457 wrote:
ssquared87 wrote:
RollTide31457 wrote:

Good info. Thanks!
Back down to $2k on Amazon. Good thing about Amazon is they are an authorized dealer so no need to worry whether the warranty is valid.

I’m debating jumping on this myself but my 10 year old Panasonic plasma is still going strong and I have a hard time getting rid of something that’s performing well even if the newer ones are a lot better

msk

Post by msk » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:32 am

Get the largest screen you are willing to spend on. I have yet to see a 4k screen that is "too big" in any normal sized viewing room. A theoretically weaker technology at 85" will always look better than a supposedly superior OLED or whatever at 75". If your eyes are good enough, just go to a Sony showroom and compare the 85" 850 series, 900 and the new 950 series. See no differences? You need educating :shock: Then go scout out an 85"OLED. Do not go smaller!

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:48 am

My one coworker claims OLED's do not last very long. Or he said something along the lines that after 2 years they'll start to lose their picture quality. Is there any truth to this? On a long day of watching tv I can squeeze in 3 hours...so its not like ill be running the oled 24x7.