Tattoos and Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dm200

Re: Tattoos and Bogleheads

Post by dm200 »

Very fortunately (in my opinion), our son (now late 30's) never got any tattoos (as far as we know). As a "difficult" teen, he had many strange colors of hair - as well as earlobe piercings - and a few other things as well.

The hair grew back with the natural color and has a nice short haircut, and it seems that the earlobe piercings healed up - and he dresses reasonably.

We are fortunate that no "permanent" body changes, nor any adult serious crimes - just a few traffic things. :happy

Some of his peers as a teen have not done as well - life sentence for murder, HIV/AIDS, drug and/or alcohol addiction, jail/prison, child(ren) out of wedlock, etc.
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

I have one inspired by a piece of Surrealist art and would like to get a second one on my wrist. I’m an in-house attorney, and the only time I’ve heard anyone express an opinion in the workplace was many years ago when I was working in the government an older female attorney went on a rant about how trashy tattooes are - because she couldn’t see mine....
AF_Engineer

Post by AF_Engineer »

I'm not a fan of tattoos, just not my thing, and I'm a little baffled by anyone who would make a permanent mark on their body as part of a trendy cultural act. Clothes, hairstyles, jewelry, vehicles, glass, colors, sayings/memes, etc. are all examples where something is cool for a while, and then 5-10 years later very unstylish. I might be proven wrong, but sure seems to me those who got several visible tattoos are sure going to regret them in another 10 years when they suddenly look very outdated. I mean no ill will to those who get them....might want to sock away this topic for another 5 years and then circle back to see if this trend went the way of the dodo bird & market timers.

And just to keep a Boglehead slant, I've thought about investing in tatoo removal services, I predict with new technologies and passing trends, this will be a booming business in another few years..... :dollar :moneybag
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tim1999 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm Never had one and never will. Just not my thing. I also find them to be very unattractive on members of the gender I am attracted to.
+1
essbeer

Post by essbeer »

I think in upper to upper-middle class neighborhoods it's still considered some sort of signal of either "low" birth or reckless youth. I live around lots of under 40 doctors and lawyers and literally zero have visible tattoos. I don't think a visible tattoo would be unacceptable, quite the contrary I'd bet it would generate excitement and lots of compliments. But it would also silently scream "not one of us."
LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney »

I have a tattoo on my back left shoulder that I got when I was in my 20s gallivanting around Europe on study abroad.

I don't regret it, and frankly the "normalization" of body art in recent years has led me to consider getting another...though I likely won't do so as the "canvas" isn't quite in the shape it used to be.

As an aside - several years ago I made the acquaintance of a guy whose family business was tattoo removal. In the course of conversation he told me that the core of their business wasn't young people having a tattoo that they regret removed, but rather, people with extensive body art who want to clear space for new work to be done. Said that most of their referrals come from tattoo studios and people who have extensive tats. Which I thought was fascinating and contradicted my pre-existing perception about that business.
BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney »

Nope. Reason # 1001: I like being able to visit onsens without getting kicked out for having a tattoo.

As you age they also start to deform and look bad compared to when they were first done.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

I've got "Stay the Course" across the top of my back and shoulder blades, above a stack of flaming $100 bills.

Nah. In truth I deeply hate needles, so the conversation ends there. I don't think I'd like one, for many of the reasons articulated on this thread. But US culture has changed on them, and I think many of my tastes are just old-fashioned. Perhaps my tastes will change. I'm not that old. But I'm secretly holding out hope that it will circle back and that no tats will become cool because everyone has tats.
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

At some advanced age, I'm considering a "Do not air-evac" tattoo to avoid a common end-of-life expense in my small town.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

tim1999 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:33 pm Never had one and never will. Just not my thing. I also find them to be very unattractive on members of the gender I am attracted to.
+1
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

researcher wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:38 am
stemikger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 pm I have two. I never regretted either one of them.
One is the parrot from The Enchanted Tikki Room in Disney World...
Out of curiosity, what special meaning does a parrot from the Enchanted Tikki Room at Disney World hold for you?
It was my first trip to Disney World and it reminds me of spending time with my family as a child. We all loved the show and talked about it all day.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

essbeer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm I think in upper to upper-middle class neighborhoods it's still considered some sort of signal of either "low" birth or reckless youth. I live around lots of under 40 doctors and lawyers and literally zero have visible tattoos. I don't think a visible tattoo would be unacceptable, quite the contrary I'd bet it would generate excitement and lots of compliments. But it would also silently scream "not one of us."
There’s a geographic or locality aspect to that, too. Much more common on “professionals” in some of the places I’ve lived than in others.
Summit111

Post by Summit111 »

My oldest son had his fraternity symbol tattooed on his ankle while in college. A little over an inch in diameter, and easily covered by an ankle sock.

He’s 44 and VP of a prestigious Wall Street financial firm. While playing golf with some top executives, one of them noticed the tattoo and gave him an “Unapproving look” and commented, “Didn’t think you were the tattoo type”

That’s all it took...He scheduled tattoo removal and brought his 2 young kids along so they would see and smell the laser doing its job....

When I was a kid, I remember only military members had tattoos...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog
Topic Author
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Summit111 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 pm
He’s 44 and VP of a prestigious Wall Street financial firm. While playing golf with some top executives, one of them noticed the tattoo and gave him an “Unapproving look” and commented, “Didn’t think you were the tattoo type”
Nothing screams class like an Exec judging an mployee's character from an ankle tattoo.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Statistically speaking, it shows poor decision making. At some point in life at least.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dm200 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:16 pm Very fortunately (in my opinion), our son (now late 30's) never got any tattoos (as far as we know). As a "difficult" teen, he had many strange colors of hair - as well as earlobe piercings - and a few other things as well.

The hair grew back with the natural color and has a nice short haircut, and it seems that the earlobe piercings healed up - and he dresses reasonably.

We are fortunate that no "permanent" body changes, nor any adult serious crimes - just a few traffic things. :happy

Some of his peers as a teen have not done as well - life sentence for murder, HIV/AIDS, drug and/or alcohol addiction, jail/prison, child(ren) out of wedlock, etc.
that makes having a simple tattoo look pretty good eh? :wink:
Unicorn1 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:44 am Got 2 tattoos when I was around 20. Enjoyed them immensely in my 20s, was indifferent towards them in my 30s, and started to despise them in my 40s. Now I'm paying 10x the original tattoo cost for PicoSure laser tattoo removal.
whats their ticker symbol? I'm going to buy stock. :mrgreen:
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
London

Post by London »

Summit111 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 pm My oldest son had his fraternity symbol tattooed on his ankle while in college. A little over an inch in diameter, and easily covered by an ankle sock.

That’s all it took...He scheduled tattoo removal and brought his 2 young kids along so they would see and smell the laser doing its job....

When I was a kid, I remember only military members had tattoos...

Summit
I have a huge job at a Wall Street firm and (gasp) a small tattoo. No one cares. Granted, it’s not visible at the office but people have seen it while playing golf.
Foredeck

Post by Foredeck »

Nope no tattoos. Probably will never get one. My personal preference. I find them unattractive on the opposite sex.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

Years ago, I heard someone make the comment that you never see bumper stickers on a Ferrari...
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Barefoot wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:09 pm Years ago, I heard someone make the comment that you never see bumper stickers on a Ferrari...
My body is more like a broken down Yugo :D

If you’re immunocompromised, talk to your doctor before getting a tattoo. I'm glad I did because I could have gotten a serious adverse reaction from a tattoo.

I would also recommend doing research on the longevity of designs. I had wanted to get a hyperrealistic design but learned that those are done shallowly and lose their crispness quickly. The same is true with colors, some fade easily.

Another recommendation is that when they ask you to approve the purple stencil outline on your skin, have them take a picture of it and show it to you rather than use a mirror. I know someone who had something tattooed backward because she didn't catch the mistake as it looked fine when she saw the outline in the mirror.
Last edited by sawhorse on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

Tattoos are the equivalent of graffiti. There are relatively few exceptions to that.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

The inhabitant of my body 25 years ago was an idiot, so I'm glad he didn't emblazon any messages for future me to enjoy on the daily.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Calico wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pmI don't even have pieced ears which seems to be unusual for a woman. My dad said I couldn't get pieced ears until I was 16 and by the time I was 16 I didn't want to bother with it (the trend by then was to be "different" by getting multiple piercings. I decided to be different by having none).
Same. Most of my classmates got their ears pierced in late elementary or early middle school. I wanted badly to have my ears pierced but wasn't allowed. When I became an adult, I no longer had the desire.

I think earrings can look great, I would want my ears pierced if it was cheap and low maintenance, but it's not. I have a nickel allergy and thus couldn't wear cheap earrings. I also don't have the motivation to do the necessary hygiene tasks.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Mingus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:29 pm Tattoos are the equivalent of graffiti. There are relatively few exceptions to that.
The defining characteristic of graffiti is that it is done without permission. If tattoos are the equivalent of graffiti there is a lot of unreported battery going on.

And if graffiti can be permissive: Get your <political slogan> sign off your lawn.
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

Starfish wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:00 pm Statistically speaking, it shows poor decision making. At some point in life at least.
LOL, what “statistics” are these that you speak of?
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Left shoulder, markings from my time in both the Marine Corps and Army. My version of SPQR which was tattooed on the Roman Soldiers of yore.

I'll get an Ironman tattoo if I ever finish the distance. Probably on the right calf.
Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit »

Dumb question as no one in my family has tattoos.

What happens when you get older and your skin start to wrinkle and you start loosing skin elasticity, does it change what the tattoo looks like?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Time2Quit wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 am Dumb question as no one in my family has tattoos.

What happens when you get older and your skin start to wrinkle and you start loosing skin elasticity, does it change what the tattoo looks like?
https://mymodernmet.com/tattooed-seniors-photographs/
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Tattoo discussions always remind me of this meme:

https://www.memedroid.com/memes/detail/837301

I've seen far more tattoos than most people in all kinds of locations. Some look better than others. I think location usually matters more than what the tattoo actually is as far as how I judge the person for their decision. I mean, are you going to hire this guy to work in your day care business?

https://www.google.com/search?q=crazy+f ... i_lhbcQYQM:
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Time2Quit wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 am Dumb question as no one in my family has tattoos.

Yep. Just like a birthmark on your skin will move or wrinkle as the surface of the skin changes texture. Sometimes the tattoo or part of it might move a bit - the pigment molecules are in among the lower levels of skin cells, and those cells are constantly being replaced. Saw some recent research indicating that immune processes are actually involved in constantly keeping the ink from moving away from the site of the tattoo.

I'm a bit surprised by the "class" comments up thread. Ötzi the Ice Man had tattoos done when he lived, 5300 years ago. Many cultures from around the world have used tattooing and other body modifications for hundreds of years for self-expression or the very opposite, to connect a person to their family origins. Sure, people can and do get tattoos that seem dumb to others or that they themselves regret, but tattooing has a long history with humans. The idea that life permanently changes your body, and that people want might to participate in that process, is not really so strange.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:01 am

https://mymodernmet.com/tattooed-seniors-photographs/
Love these!
Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit »

White Coat Investor wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:03 am Tattoo discussions always remind me of this meme:

https://www.memedroid.com/memes/detail/837301

I've seen far more tattoos than most people in all kinds of locations. Some look better than others. I think location usually matters more than what the tattoo actually is as far as how I judge the person for their decision. I mean, are you going to hire this guy to work in your day care business?

https://www.google.com/search?q=crazy+f ... i_lhbcQYQM:
I like the meme!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
ilskeptic

Post by ilskeptic »

I went my whole life without considering a tattoo. For one thing, I give blood, and for many years, a tattoo disqualified you from donating, at least temporarily. Then I went on vacation to a malarial area of Africa in November, which meant I was deferred as a donor for a year anyway. One thing led to another, and at age 70, I’ve gotten the first two tattoos of my life in the last couple of months.

One is the two-word punchline to a family joke (I like to think I’ll confuse the undertaker), and the other is the name of my first grandchild (she was born in January), worked into a heart shape. They’re inconspicuous; I can cover them with my sleeves, though I don’t know why I’d need to. The process was quick and largely painless – the needle pinches more than hurts, and I had only minor itching for a week or two afterwards. And, bogleheads please note: each cost well under $100. My tattoos are meaningful to me, and I think they're pretty cool.

Unexpected bonus: I have a whole new subject to talk about with my nieces and nephews.

A friend of mine, a conservative teacher and musician with seven tattoos, says they’re addictive and swears I’ll get more. I doubt it -– although I did tell my kids I have room on both forearms for other grandchildren.

And it turns out the local blood bank has changed its policy: tattoos are fine, as long as you get them from a licensed tattoo parlor. Sign of the times.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

ilskeptic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:19 am I went my whole life without considering a tattoo. For one thing, I give blood, and for many years, a tattoo disqualified you from donating, at least temporarily. Then I went on vacation to a malarial area of Africa in November, which meant I was deferred as a donor for a year anyway. One thing led to another, and at age 70, I’ve gotten the first two tattoos of my life in the last couple of months.
One is the two-word punchline to a family joke (I like to think I’ll confuse the undertaker), and the other is the name of my first grandchild (she was born in January), worked into a heart shape. They’re inconspicuous; I can cover them with my sleeves, though I don’t know why I’d need to. The process was quick and largely painless – the needle pinches more than hurts, and I had only minor itching for a week or two afterwards. And, bogleheads please note: each cost well under $100. My tattoos are meaningful to me, and I think they're pretty cool.
Unexpected bonus: I have a whole new subject to talk about with my nieces and nephews.
A friend of mine, a conservative teacher and musician with seven tattoos, says they’re addictive and swears I’ll get more. I doubt it -– although I did tell my kids I have room on both forearms for other grandchildren.
And it turns out the local blood bank has changed its policy: tattoos are fine, as long as you get them from a licensed tattoo parlor. Sign of the times.
No tattoos - but I notice blood donor rules.

These are the Red Cross rules https://redcrosschat.org/2017/07/16/red ... -donation/
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

surfstar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:09 pm I was never cool enough to get a tatoo.
Now everyone has them and its more anti-mainstream to not have one - LOL
This ^^^. When I was a youth, tattoos were simply not something anyone other than bikers, heavy metal guitarists, and old-timey sailors got.

But I did get my ear pierced. It was the '80s, and that was what was kinda edgy in a non-conformist way, but nothing that would get you kicked out of a country club or anything. I guess it was the equivalent of what tattoos were 10-15 years ago?

Now tattoos are totally run-of-the-mill. I've pretty much unlearned any prejudices I had of them from the old days. There's no shock value in them anymore. Being un-tatted is probably the most non-conformist thing you can do these days. :D

So no, I don't have any tats. That's partly because I don't want to commit to anything that long. But mostly because I wasn't the right age during that sweet spot between tattoos being "way too edgy" and "everybody has them".
Stay on target...
RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 »

No tattoos. It’s always a sad sight to see a beautiful woman with tattoos.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Technically, I have several tatoos I received involuntarily. The inspiration was "not dying."

Voluntarily, I would never get one. They are unnecessary and would improve no aspect of my life. If I like art, I hang it on my wall or take a picture with my phone. If I want to attract attention to myself I just open my mouth and say something. The dumber the better!

I know lots and lots of people with them. Maybe I just want to be different?!?

JT
Last edited by bottlecap on Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I often wonder whether folks later regret getting tattoos.

Will the now very attractive, 21 year old young woman with large tattoo on her shoulder, back, etc. feel the same when she is 41 or 51?
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

dm200 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:46 am I often wonder whether folks later regret getting tattoos.

Will the now very attractive, 21 year old young woman with large tattoo on her shoulder, back, etc. feel the same when she is 41 or 51?
The answers in this thread give you a glimpse. The quick answer is that some regret it, some don't. I imagine it depends a lot on what the tattoo is, where it is, and your motivation for getting it at the time. Unless it's the name of an ex or some other regrettable design, prominent, and/or done when drunk or impulsive, most people don't regret their tattoos. They might not love them, but the vast majority don't regret them enough to get them removed.

There is a pretty clear generation gap in tattoo acceptance. Few younger people hold the deeply judgemental and prejudicial views against tattoos that many old people seem to. I found it amusing and a bit sad how relieved you are that your son doesn't have a tattoo considering that he was on track to perhaps turn out a lot worse than merely having a tattoo.

My cousin is an oncologist and thus deals with a lot of old people. He has a large tattoo covering his back. It's not visible under clothing. I bet several of his patients who think he's a good doctor would change their tune if they knew about his tattoo even though it makes not one iota of difference in his care toward them.

A great ob/gyn I saw has green and pink hair and a big colorful full sleeve tattoo. She looks to be in her 50s. She holds a high position at a university medical center. If the people who hired her were deeply prejudicial against tattoos, they would have missed out on a great employee. It should be said, though, that as an ob/gyn the majority of her patients are probably under 50.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:14 pm
dm200 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:46 am I often wonder whether folks later regret getting tattoos.
The answers in this thread give you a glimpse. The quick answer is that some regret it, some don't. I imagine it depends a lot on what the tattoo is, where it is, and your motivation for getting it at the time. Unless it's the name of an ex or some other regrettable design, prominent, and/or done when drunk or impulsive, most people don't regret their tattoos. They might not love them, but the vast majority don't regret them enough to get them removed.
There is a pretty clear generation gap in tattoo acceptance. Few younger people hold the deeply judgemental and prejudicial views against tattoos that many old people seem to. I found it amusing and a bit sad how relieved you are that your son doesn't have a tattoo considering that he was on track to perhaps turn out a lot worse than merely having a tattoo.
My cousin is an oncologist and thus deals with a lot of old people. He has a large tattoo covering his back. It's not visible under clothing. I bet several of his patients who think he's a good doctor would change their tune if they knew about his tattoo even though it makes not one iota of difference in his care toward them.
A great ob/gyn I saw has green and pink hair and a big colorful full sleeve tattoo. She looks to be in her 50s. She holds a high position at a university medical center. If the people who hired her were deeply prejudicial against tattoos, they would have missed out on a great employee. It should be said, though, that as an ob/gyn the majority of her patients are probably under 50.
Yes - while we have discussed a lot of things in recent years - including how pleased we are that he is a "productive" and reasonably "financially responsible" member of society - I need to ask him about why his resultant path has turned differently than many of his peers years ago. No tattoos, no remaining piercings or scarring from previous ones, not in prison, no drug or alcohol addiction/dependence, not HIV positive or having AIDS, no arrests - as an adult - for anything serious, not in a "bad" marriage. Two of his "peers" in the past have been convicted of murder - one of his mother and one for killing a toddler. I would like to conclude it is because my wife and I were/are good parents - BUT most of the other parents seem or seemed to be just as 'good" as my wife and I.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

bottlecap wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 am Technically, I have several tatoos I received involuntarily. The inspiration was "not dying."
:confused How were you tattooed involuntarily?
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm
bottlecap wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:43 am Technically, I have several tatoos I received involuntarily. The inspiration was "not dying."
Google "radiation therapy port marks."
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin »

essbeer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:49 pm I think in upper to upper-middle class neighborhoods it's still considered some sort of signal of either "low" birth or reckless youth. I live around lots of under 40 doctors and lawyers and literally zero have visible tattoos. I don't think a visible tattoo would be unacceptable, quite the contrary I'd bet it would generate excitement and lots of compliments. But it would also silently scream "not one of us."
But statistically probably at least some of them do have tattoos that are covered up by ordinary clothes (and I presume that the majority of tattoos are indeed such). Seems a little hard to extrapolate when in most social situations you won't see most tattoos.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Raymond wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:33 pm
sawhorse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:26 pm
Google "radiation therapy port marks."
Interesting, I didn't know that. I'm surprised that they use tattoo ink on these immunocompromised patients. I was told that I can't have a tattoo due to being immunocompromised.

Strangely, having the option of getting tattooed removed from me has sort of made me want to get one more lol
Last edited by sawhorse on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Outsider

Post by The Outsider »

No tattoos, just scars
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Foredeck wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 pm Nope no tattoos. Probably will never get one. My personal preference. I find them unattractive on the opposite sex.
:sharebeer me too
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic comment a several replies regarding a description which can be considered sexist. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We also require that you be considerate of our readers and:

avoid profanities, obscenities, lewd and otherwise offensive words and remarks
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

Did any of you with tattoos find that it was mentally easier to get a tattoo because they are now removable? The removal process is expensive and painful, but the option is there. I wonder if the popularity of tattoos among younger people is in part due to the fact that tattoos no longer have to be a lifelong commitment.

If you are considering getting a tattoo with the thought that you can remove it later if you truly regret it, I would recommend researching tattoo removal first. Some colors are a lot easier to remove than others, and some skin tones are more conducive to removal.
Tamarind wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:06 amI'm a bit surprised by the "class" comments up thread. Ötzi the Ice Man had tattoos done when he lived, 5300 years ago. Many cultures from around the world have used tattooing and other body modifications for hundreds of years for self-expression or the very opposite, to connect a person to their family origins. Sure, people can and do get tattoos that seem dumb to others or that they themselves regret, but tattooing has a long history with humans. The idea that life permanently changes your body, and that people want might to participate in that process, is not really so strange.
One of my friends is an Egyptian Coptic Christian. People in that community get their wrists tattooed when they are young kids, as young as a few months old. Historically it was a way for them to be identified as Christian if they died and someone found their body. Now it has sort of evolved into a defiant declaration of their faith in a country in which they face discrimination as a religious minority.
Last edited by sawhorse on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I know a lot of people that get their first tattoo in their 50s. I don't think getting older should be a reason to regret tattoos. Unless you get something inappropriate which is bad no matter what age.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

sawhorse wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:21 pm Did any of you with tattoos find that it was mentally easier to get a tattoo because they are now removable? The removal process is expensive and painful, but the option is there. I wonder if the popularity of tattoos among younger people is in part due to the fact that tattoos no longer have to be a lifelong commitment.
No, I want mine to be a lifelong commitment. I have many more tattoos in my "ideas" folder than on my body. No clue how many more I will get but I am in no rush.