Tattoos and Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TallBoy29er

Tattoos and Bogleheads

Post by TallBoy29er »

I'm curious if many Bogleheads on the forum have tattoos. If so, of what, and what was the inspiration for it (them)? Also, any regrets?
tim1999

Re: Tattoos and Bogleheads

Post by tim1999 »

Never had one and never will. Just not my thing. I also find them to be very unattractive on members of the gender I am attracted to.

Post by 123 »

Some designs are attractive $$$$$$$$ Color can attract attention as well :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic is locked (not a consumer issue).

This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.

Also see: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

After receiving a PM, this thread is reopened to continue the discussion as a consumer issue.

Please state your concerns in a civil, factual manner.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

No. I'd get one if they were available at Aldi. Probably of a Liger feasting on a Unicorn over a ying-yang background.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Never had one - never will! BUT that is for me.

Many employers (such as mine) have restrictions on visible tattoos - especially for employees that deal with customers and the public. I think such employers believe many or most customers have a problem with tattoos and it is not good for business.

Is there any "objective" basis for this conclusion? How many (if any) bank customers, for example, have any problem dealing with a teller who has visible tattoos?

While, perhaps not a large risk, there may be some health risks of tattoos.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

To each their own. I would never consider one. To me, a tattoo on a person is not a positive thing, but that's me.

If I owned a retail business, I would have tight restrictions on them, also hairstyles, body jewelry, ..
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
cavalierhoos

Post by cavalierhoos »

I have four large tattoos, two on each arm. I got my first one at the age of 38. I absolutely love them — they're high quality pieces of art that I can take with me everywhere.

I spent over $5,000 on those four tattoos, and it's some of the best money I've ever spent in my life!
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

My wife and I, both Bogleheads in our 30s, both have tattoos that I won't discuss here as they are individually identifying marks. Neither of us has any regrets about having them, and we regularly consider getting additional ones but take years to think it over as it's a major purchase + a permanent decision. In our social circles, including the area where we live and our professional colleagues, body art is the norm rather than the exception, though it may not be visible when dressed for work.

I would say they are like any other art purchase. It is easy to overpay, but value is also not a useful metric for getting a good outcome.

I would advise anyone thinking of getting a tattoo, especially a large one, to find an artist:
* Whose work they like
* Who they get along with
* Who has a stable business and good reputation in the community
* Who uses best practices for hygiene
* Who provides good counsel regarding design choices, placement, risks of ink migration and color fading, etc
* Who does not take "walk-ins"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

An acquaintance who was a tattoo artist suggested the following rules of thumb:

- Never have tattoos put on when you are under the influence of drugs, alcohol or an extreme emotional state.

- If possible, have the proposed tattoo first put on as a temporary (1-4 weeks) version with brown henna - NOT black henna, which has para-phenylenediamine (PPD) added to the henna to make it darker, quicker-setting, and longer-lasting, but is much more likely to cause allergic reactions.

If you like the way it looks, then get the permanent one done.

- In his opinion, the only names that should be placed on you are those of 1) your children; 2) your parents; and 3) deceased people (hopefully not including the people in 1) or 2) :P

I used to work in a dermatology practice as a PA, and one of the services we provided was laser removal of tattoos - I'd estimate 80% of the patients wanted the names of former boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses removed.

Other ones were amateur tattoos done with sewing needles and ballpoint pen ink on breast cleavages ("BABY DOLL") or the backs of the fingers (NSFW words, with one letter per finger).

I don't have any tattoos myself, but who knows, maybe later.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Scrapr

Post by Scrapr »

Raymond wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Other ones were amateur tattoos done with sewing needles and ballpoint pen ink on breast cleavages ("BABY DOLL") or the backs of the fingers (NSFW words, with one letter per finger)
fingers? I think one hand Jack other hand (+ thumb) Bogle would be fine
GT99

Post by GT99 »

In addition to the above advice, I'd suggest waiting 6 months from when you decide you want one AND exactly what you want before you pull the trigger. It's obviously permanent (or at least, very expensive to remove).

I have one on the back of my shoulder. Got it when I was 19. Early 40s now, never regretted it. I love tattoos and generally find them attractive when they're not over-done (not face, etc). Mine is a part of one of my favorite paintings. And to my above advice, I would have sorely regretted what I was going to get when I first decided I wanted one (a rif on the yin yang symbol). Very glad I waited.

I've worked in 10 widely varying places in my career (including a couple very large, old school, stodgy megacorps), and none had a policy about tattoos that I was aware of.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

I was never cool enough to get a tatoo.
Now everyone has them and its more anti-mainstream to not have one - LOL
archie75

Post by archie75 »

I have a full sleeve on one arm, and two other tattoos elsewhere on my body. I think the times of tattoos not being acceptable in the work environment are slowly fading. They’re a form of permanent self-expression. While I now think one of my tattoos in hindsight is kind of silly, it’s fun to laugh about when people inquire, and I don’t regret it at all. I’m also 25 and in the military so I probably don’t fit the typical demographic of this forum 🧐
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

I had the birthmark (slightly darker skin) on my back outlined in black.
It was inspired by my artistic method of using the flaws inherent in the medium.
Got it done by Arbuckle, THE tattooist of Cedar Rapids, IA at the time .

I was once slowly riding my bike next to my partner who accidentally maneuvered me into a brick wall with a 2" long 1/4" copper pipe sticking out of it that I hit the front of my shoulder on. It gave me a nearly perfectly square bruise on that shoulder. For the next couple weeks whenever I'd see it in the mirror, it would look like some sort of sci-fi military insignia.
So I gave myself a promotion by getting it inked on the front and back of both shoulders.
Or I've have it up to *here*.
Or maybe I'm having an affair with a football player.
Had it done by some rando place I saw on my commute to work in Rochester, NY. The owner was some lame shock-jock who came in while I was getting it done and thought it must be a cover-up of a name, and then just didn't get it.

I then had the square replicated on either side of my ankles, because that tells me when to stop pulling on my quarter-socks so I quit stretching them out.
Or "cut here"?
(But then I'm concerned that I don't want to end up like one of the surrealist artists who depicted themselves with only one eye and later lost an eye (usually in a bar fight).)
Found the tattoo shop in San Francisco by reading the label of my Three Floyd's beer "Blackheart".

I'll probably get them added just a bit above the knee, too, but I don't have a joke prepared for that, yet.
(Probably have a friend who opened Happy Camper Tattoo shop in Portland do those.)

I'd never get some piece of flash and can't really see that I'd want some other artist's work.

I remember seeing a non-risque dance group of six ~28-y.o. women at a burlesque show in San Francisco (Hubba Hubba Review @ DNA Lounge) ~ 8 years ago and wondering where they found that many people without tattoos.

But I was part of the Manic Panic & body-piercing crowd back before Green Day and Jim Rose.
Last edited by roymeo on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I'm the only one of my 7 siblings that does not have a tattoo. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single one of my circle of friends or even employees who do not have a tattoo either, and I live in one of the most conservative areas of the country. I would never even consider it for several reasons, but that's a personal thing; whether someone else has no bearing on how I view them as a person.
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

I have my upper torso done. Waist to t-shirt neckline to wrists. With a long sleeve shirt, nobody is the wiser, I'd never do hands/neck. It's essentially 4 different pieces (each arm, chest, back) that come together as one large work, all done by a single artist. Whoever upthread said to make sure you get along with your guy, is spot on, I've spent ~150 hours on my guy's table.

If I had it to do over again, I'd probably skip it and save the ~30 grand. It is amazing work that I'm still blown away by after years and years, but the comments (mostly good, some bad) really get old after about day 3. It's not something anybody told me to expect and I didn't realize people are as bold with their comments and feelings about tattoos as they are. If I wear short sleeves and am out and about, I get several comments a day and it is annoying still. People under about 50 tend to be inquisitive about it and generally like it. Older folks not only dislike it, but feel compelled to tell me how stupid I am for ruining my life (not having any idea that my spouse and I are financially independent in our 40's).
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I've got one. Got it with a buddy from med school. It is on the back of my left shoulder. No one can see it unless I have my shirt off. No regrets. I'm a pretty straight arrow guy, but it was fun and outside of comfort zone.

There is nothing wrong with tattoos if that is your thing. Be safe where you get it done and don't have it anywhere that is easily visible as it may (not saying it should) affect employment opportunities based on inherent biases of hiring folks.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
bac573

Post by bac573 »

I have two (actually three) tattoos. The first one was (illegally gotten) when I was young and stupid at the tender age of 17. About 15 years later I got a "coverup" tattoo over the original. It is a hot air balloon with an anchor....the importance of the tattoo for me is that it's about how I try to live my life...equilibrium, stasis...the balloon will never rise because the anchor is weighing it down; the balloon will never fall because, well, it's a hot air balloon (the balloon/anchor is also a nod to the band Modest Mouse).

In addition to being a Boglehead, I am also a weather nerd. About 5 years ago I got a black/gray/shaded tattoo of a tornado scene on my upper arm/shoulder. I have been thinking of getting a colorful sunrise/sunset with the same scenery on my other shoulder....sort of a bad angel/good angel on my shoulders.
One thing to know about this town; not a person doesn't want me underground.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm I'm curious if many Bogleheads on the forum have tattoos. If so, of what, and what was the inspiration for it (them)? Also, any regrets?
No thanks.
I value flexibility. I try not to do things that can't be changed once the fad goes out of style.

No tattoos. No body piercings. No regerts.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Calico

Post by Calico »

I don't like tattoos much myself. I don't like anything like that. I don't even have pieced ears which seems to be unusual for a woman. My dad said I couldn't get pieced ears until I was 16 and by the time I was 16 I didn't want to bother with it (the trend by then was to be "different" by getting multiple piercings. I decided to be different by having none).

That said, if I did get a tattoo, I would get one that is flesh colored along a surgical scar on my wrist. The scar is very pale compared to the rest of my skin. It's a near white line on my skin. I can hide it with makeup and it has occurred to me on more than one occasion that tattooing a color close to my skin color would hide it well. But I probably will never do that. I wouldn't want to spend the money and I would be too afraid my idea really doesn't work and it won't hide anything (it will just be a different colored line on my arm).
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Yes! Big tribal Jesus tattoo. Found the design on a coffee mug of all places.

I printed the design out and left it on my dresser for a couple months while I thought about it.

The tattoo artist re-drew it, elongating the design for an upper arm. It runs from my shoulder to just about where you might see it peeking past a short sleeve dress shirt.

The tattoo artist's nickname was "the Reverend" so it was meant to be. :D

15 years later I still love it.
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

I don't wear the same clothes every day.

I don't wear the same jewelry every day.

I can't imagine wanting permanent artwork on my body. It's too restricting.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

Living in SoCal I feel more unique without tattoos than I think I would if I had them.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

TallBoy29er wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:25 pm I'm curious if many Bogleheads on the forum have tattoos. If so, of what, and what was the inspiration for it (them)? Also, any regrets?
I have none. To me they identify with low class.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

It is a luxury good like any other luxury. Up to you to decide if it is worth it to you. Just remember that 3k of ink would be worth a million bucks after 60 years of earning 10%:)

Community wise you will find a pretty big split. The under 40 crowd, it is pretty much standard. The latest surveys have mid 40% for the number of people with them in the US. The over 50 crowd (closer to 25% but it is rising pretty rapidly), it is more considered classless/vulgar. The 40-50 group is a mix:) And there are also vastly different opinions depending on how many and how big. Few people care about small 2" tramp stamps, upper back and ankle tattoos even if they are somewhat visible in normal life. Have a full sleeve on the other hand and you will get a lot more comments and judgments. And obviously face tattoos are a whole different category:)
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Never had one.
Never will.
I would not have hired anyone with a visible one; not the kind of thing I would have in a professional environment.
I consider them a denigration of the body and nothing more than looking for attention.
But, that’s me.
To each their own.
ScooterBob

Post by ScooterBob »

No tattoos here. My nieces both have them... my dad passed prior to them getting them. I can't imagine what he would have told them.... I know its mostly a generational thing- it seems most people under 40 now have them. One of my friends (same age as me) has one but no one else in my circle does. I like what Ozzy Osborne told his son Jack when he wanted to get a tattoo- "You want to stand out?-want to be different?- then don't get a tattoo"....

Bob
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

Nope, post no bills here.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Wouldn’t waste my money on a tattoo or piercing. Also don’t find them attractive on others.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Should have required age of the poster for replies, although I think it is easy to tell.

Classless is a fun comment. As I stated earlier, I have none. Although I would think less of someone wearing a $5k watch than a $5k tatoo.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

From "Saturday Night Live:" https://vimeo.com/69310297
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus »

Seems some are a bit shaky on the difference between aesthetic opinion and character judgment. From the thread so far I would conclude that getting a visible tattoo is a good way to avoid an intolerable employer :)
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

I have five. The inspirations vary wildly. One is a tribute to a friend who had the same tattoo, but lost the arm in Afghanistan. Another is a the classic high school spring-break ink. Another is an inside joke. Another, deeply personal sorrow.

Regrets? Some. I'm having my crappy spring-break ink removed (at a cost of at least 10 times what I paid for it). The inside joke isn't as funny as it was when I got it, and is likely to go in short order. The rest will remain. And I'm thinking of getting others.

To each their own.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

buhlaxtus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 pm From the thread so far I would conclude that getting a visible tattoo is a good way to avoid an intolerable employer :)
Intolerant of intolerable employers?
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

buhlaxtus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:20 pm Seems some are a bit shaky on the difference between aesthetic opinion and character judgment. From the thread so far I would conclude that getting a visible tattoo is a good way to avoid an intolerable employer :)
The people I know with tattoos say they do it to "express themselves". Judging people on how they express themselves is a character judgement. Judging people on the character judgements they express is also a character judgement.
Topic Author
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I love this forum, and all of the wonderful contributors who make it as rich and informative as it is. That said, I'm surprised by the amount of judgment that can go on based on appearances. It reminds me of a verse in the song Signs, covered by Tesla, originally by Five Man Electrical Band:

And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply"
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said "You look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do"
So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"
Whoa-oh-oh
DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva »

surfstar wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:56 pm Should have required age of the poster for replies, although I think it is easy to tell.

Classless is a fun comment. As I stated earlier, I have none. Although I would think less of someone wearing a $5k watch than a $5k tatoo.
I wear a $150 watch, have never had a tattoo and just invested another $10k.

#mypriorities
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I have several tattoos and a few regrets. The most Important one is a memorial piece for my first wife who passed way too early. All of my tattoos have a very personal meaning, they were well considered, and expertly done. That said, I learned a few things living with them and at least one I would do very differently — it simple doesn’t have the impact (on me) that I expected.

Will likely get several more in my life.

WoodSpinner
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I have two. I never regretted either one of them.

My first I got when I was 17 and my last I got when I was 45. I also had the one I got when I was 17 recolored. I'm 55 now and still no regrets.

I think the people who have regrets get things that don't fit who they are any longer. I have a friend who had devils and skulls all over his arms when he was young and as an adult had them removed and the process was very painful.

My two tattoos are still things I like so I still like seeing them. They are both Disney tattoos. One is the parrot from The Enchanted Tikki Room in Disney World and the other is Micky Mouse. If I was to get another one, it would be a portrait of my dog I lost 2 years ago.

My 24 year old daughter who is a professional has 7 and some really big ones. I like them and I don't think she will regret them and I didn't mind that she got them.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
student

Post by student »

I do not have one and I do not intend to get one.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

No and I don't think they look good on others.

However, it doesn't bother me if people have them, their choice.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

I have a full sleeve on one arm, and a highly stylized Hello Kitty (yes, you read that correctly) near my shoulder blade. The sleeve is a Japanese botanical garden.

I will eventually get my other arm done, even though I’m past 40 now, but much simpler: A tall ikebana (Japanese flower arrangement) on the outside arm, a short Japanese phrase on inner forearm (in kanji/kana).

I didn’t get any visible ink done until my mid 30’s, after I knew I would be self-employed the rest of my life. I routinely speak at seminars and conferences, and could care less if somebody doesn’t like the fact that my sleeves are rolled up and showing my tats. It has not impacted my income in any way.

Some posters have mentioned the “attraction” issue. I personally find heavily tattoed women to be attractive; I tend to be under-inked for their liking. Go figure. :)

Edit to add: The things that get discussed on BH are interesting, to say the least!
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I live in Japan, a country that has some unreasonable beliefs about tattoos, sadly. I love taking baths in hot springs, which would be difficult to impossible with tats, so... My daughter got some small ones in Australia, and has to cover up when she goes to the baths here in Japan.
researcher

Post by researcher »

stemikger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:39 pm I have two. I never regretted either one of them.
One is the parrot from The Enchanted Tikki Room in Disney World...
Out of curiosity, what special meaning does a parrot from the Enchanted Tikki Room at Disney World hold for you?
Unicorn1

Post by Unicorn1 »

Got 2 tattoos when I was around 20. Enjoyed them immensely in my 20s, was indifferent towards them in my 30s, and started to despise them in my 40s. Now I'm paying 10x the original tattoo cost for PicoSure laser tattoo removal.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 pm No tattoos. No body piercings. No regerts.
:D
jazman12

Post by jazman12 »

mlebuf wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm From "Saturday Night Live:" https://vimeo.com/69310297
+++
Act soon... time is running out
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mlebuf wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:19 pm From "Saturday Night Live:" https://vimeo.com/69310297
"... because it won't be cool forever."

LOL!
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.