Nice men's jeans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Nice men's jeans

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 am

I'm in the market for a pair or two of new men's "dress" jeans. Here is some relevant info about me and what I am looking for:
  • I'm about 5'11" and 160 lbs
  • Banana republic slim fit (NOT skinny) fit me well, but I struck out on a recent trip there because I was not thrilled with the styles
  • I'd like a pair that I could wear with a blazer to a nicer restaurant
  • Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but not into the weathered or ripped look
  • I also prefer a more uniform denim style, i.e. not a lot of creases near the front pockets
  • Price range is <$100 but I could be convinced up to $150 if they are built to last
Am I chasing a jean unicorn? Any suggestions on what might fit the bill. Thanks!

ETadvisor

Re: Nice men's jeans

Post by ETadvisor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:32 am

I like Lucky's brand

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am

As bizarre as it seems, American Eagle Flex jeans in a dark wash are great. Comfortable, nice looking, and stretchy. I promise I'm not a 12-year old girl. You can buy them for about $35-40 and they'll last you a couple years.

I know you think of American Eagle as a teeny-boppers store, but I still buy jeans there and have never been disappointed.

scophreak

Post by scophreak » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:53 am

Glockenspiel wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am
As bizarre as it seems, American Eagle Flex jeans in a dark wash are great. Comfortable, nice looking, and stretchy. I promise I'm not a 12-year old girl. You can buy them for about $35-40 and they'll last you a couple years.

I know you think of American Eagle as a teeny-boppers store, but I still buy jeans there and have never been disappointed.
+1. Have worn AE jeans for years...currently wearing a pair of the Flex bootcut at work. Though they do have quite a few styles that are overly distressed, ripped, etc, they also have a few that are more classic and should fit your needs.

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 am

I purchased my last two pairs of jeans (regular fit and fleece lined) at Costco for under $20 each and I haven't been thrown out of a restaurant yet.
Last edited by KlingKlang on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snapper

Post by Snapper » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:56 am

I typically spend up to $200 for a pair. If you do not need a brand name label try Amazon Basic house brand. I am 6 ft, 180 and wear the slim fit. They come in a number of colors. Did I mention they are $24 dollars? I am amazed at the quality. They are a nice quality fairly heavy denim. I now have 3 pair. I can’t imagine how they can do it for the price. They also come in all sizes so you will not need to alter the leg length. 32 length is perfect for me.

Iowa David

Post by Iowa David » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:57 am

If you're a Costco a member, they are offering a nice discount with Buffalo Jeans for $15.99.

https://www.costco.com/Buffalo-Men's-Je ... 54362.html

I bought a pair and was impressed with the cut & quality (there is some elasticity in the waist) and you can't be the price right now. (There's also a dark shade for more formal occasions.
"Just a 1 percent difference in expenses makes an 18 percent difference in returns when compounded over 20 years." The Boglehead's Guide to Investing

dot00

Post by dot00 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:58 am

I like Mavi jeans and pants. Jeans are comfortable, well made, and they look "nice" enough to wear to work or a nice meal out. And no - you aren't chasing a unicorn! It took me a while to move beyond the Gap, but well worth it.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am

I wear Wranglers. You can get them in a dark blue (preferred), a lighter blue, or washed.

Also, buying them online via Target will get you additional size options not found in stores.

-B

gtg970g

Post by gtg970g » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 am

KlingKlang wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 am
I purchased my last two pairs of jeans (regular fit and fleece lined) at Costco for under $20 each and I haven't been thrown out of a restaurant yet.
My Costco only carries even number waist sizes and unfortunately I fall between two of the sizes.

Mako52

Post by Mako52 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:25 am

Sign up for Lucky Jeans emails and buy them at 40% off when they have sales. The Italian denim is worth the extra dosh in my experience.

Costco is also a good source if your inseam is 34" or less.

ohai

Post by ohai » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am

Hello there. I recommend that you just go to the Levi's store and try the 835 kinds of jeans they have in there. Fit is far more important than cost, and practically speaking, quality of all these jeans is fine. They will last for years.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:42 am

ohai wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
Hello there. I recommend that you just go to the Levi's store and try the 835 kinds of jeans they have in there. Fit is far more important than cost, and practically speaking, quality of all these jeans is fine. They will last for years.
I’ve read some reviews of Levi’s jeans that say they’ve shortened the pockets from what they used to be, significantly. I like deep pockets so I bought Lee jeans instead.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:46 am

gtg970g wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:06 am
KlingKlang wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 am
My Costco only carries even number waist sizes and unfortunately I fall between two of the sizes.
I should have mentioned that the perfect waist for me is usually 31" (subject to change :wink: ), so even-number-only waists usually present an issue.

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am

ohai wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am
I haven't owned Levi's since my 90s box leg jeans years in high school, so perhaps it is time to give them another try :D

dpc

Post by dpc » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:48 am

Same. The Costco jeans are a great buy, but they stopped making the 33 waist and neither the 32 or 34 fit me. I also had no idea Amazon sold their own line of jeans.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am

Glockenspiel wrote:

I'll 3rd this. A&E flex jeans have been my daily's for years. I find that the "flex" tends to wear out and they become "loose" and get tossed after about a year. At less than $50 bucks though, I get my $'s worth. I'm not one of these weirdos that doesn't wash and freezes their jeans, I wash after every use. For a nice dinner out, I'll step up beyond A&E, but for the money they're quite alright and about the most flex/stretch out there.

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks all, sounds like a trip to the mall is in order. Lucky, Mavi, AEO will be on my radar (actually I live a few miles from the AEO HQ in Pittsburgh).

Reading more about this today, I think what I have liked about a few recent pairs from BR is the elasticity. It used to be called their "traveler jean" but now it's something else. I find the jeans with a little stretch tend to keep their shape better after multiple washes, and they are super comfortable.

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 am

I might just have to try Amazon jeans too!

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:55 am

Very similar build OP, I'm 6' and 165 pounds. I wear a 30/32. I have always struggled to find jeans that fit well. I don't want them too baggy and I don't want skinny jeans. In high school I was a 29/32 so it used to be even harder.

I used to wear Levi's 514. Their quality control has gone so far downhill that 2 pairs of jeans grabbed from the same stack at the store fit like they're totally different sizes. I also hate the stupid "stretch" jeans fad (nearly all of their jeans contain elastane these days; the elastane fibers wear out way before the denim and break/protrude everywhere). I have a few pairs from 5+ years ago that I still wear but I no longer purchase Levi's.

I now wear L.L. Bean jeans. Their fits are confusing, I would ignore classic fit (high waisted "mom jeans") and natural fit (super baggy). I always buy the standard fit which sits at the natural waist and is straight through the leg and thigh. They also have a slim fit which as far as I can tell is identical to standard other than it has a tapered leg. This sounds like what you're looking for, they fit nice but I wear boots every day so I prefer the extra room of the standard.

It sounds like L.L. Bean ticks all your boxes. They have a few different lines of products, as far as I can tell "Double L" is their basic line, "1912" is a bit nicer and the "Signature" line is their highest quality items. I usually shop from the latter two and find the 1912 line nice enough to serve as dress jeans.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am

Levis 511. Slim, not skinny or tight -- perfect fit. Classic look, looks great with blazer.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

nvambith

Post by nvambith » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:58 am

OP, I'm about your height and weigh a little bit more, and Old Navy Bootcut jeans fit me really well. I just keep buying them again and again. They last about a year or two (of daily use), but are also relatively cheap - under $40 full-price, but you can frequently find a deal around $25 - $30. They have also added a stretch option recently.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:01 am

In the same situations that the OP outlined, I wear Levi's 505s. When one goes to the store (i.e. Kohl's) there are dozens in my size with different degrees of dye. So I buy the dark ones and some have not even been pre-washed. Probably no more the $35 each when they are on sale. I don't care about stretch, but I weigh much less than the OP.

There was a recent blue jeans discussion (started in late December 2018) and I suspect the answers are the similar:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=267604
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am

gtg970g wrote:
As does approximately half the customer population. You'd think there would be a store somewhere that only carries odd sizes...

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:00 pm

I like Armani Exchange and Diesel jeans.
If you know your size/type you can buy Armani Exchange on sale online (I paid 40$ for a pair last time, but it was a while ago and I bought 4 pairs).

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:11 pm

We are retirees that don't want to look too dressy or too causal when out and about. We are 5/11 155ish and 5/8 145ish so similar size. The Buffalo style Driven X , is our first experience with Buffalo and they are the most comfortable jeans I have ever worn.

I don't recall the exact price but I think they were around $100 per pair. They were so comfortable and fit so well, that whatever the price was it seemed justified. We probably won't have gotten them if over 135-150, tho.

If not Buffalo the our previous favorite was/is Lucky.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm

coalcracker wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 am
I'm in the market for a pair or two of new men's "dress" jeans. Here is some relevant info about me and what I am looking for:
  • Banana republic slim fit (NOT skinny) fit me well, but I struck out on a recent trip there because I was not thrilled with the styles
  • Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but not into the weathered or ripped look
  • I also prefer a more uniform denim style, i.e. not a lot of creases near the front pockets
  • Price range is <$100 but I could be convinced up to $150 if they are built to last
Am I chasing a jean unicorn? Any suggestions on what might fit the bill. Thanks!
How old are you? There comes an age when men should not wear jeans.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:16 pm
coalcracker wrote:
What age would that be? In the UP of Michigan--jeans are proper attire almost everywhere, in part because of climate. What else should we wear with our flannel, parkas and Stormy Kromers?

I supposed we probably shouldn't wear cargo style shorts either. We are retired and the bulk of our activities revolve around walking, hiking, bicycling, kayaking and in the winter its shoveling snow, hiking/walking and occasional snow shoeing. Up here you wear what works for your activity.

I agree that some people should not wear jeans--butt crack issues or trying to make the fabric stretch in ways it was not intended. If they fit properly they will look fine. Conversly someone who looks sloppy in jeans is probably going to look sloppy in other clothes.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:37 pm

Good old Levi's 501's. Fit great, even for us older guys; and look better the older they get. Impossible to wear out.

Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:37 pm

OP you are on the right track with Banana Republic. The following model is generally not carried in BR stores but I like these better than in store offerings. These are dark, simple and fit well. I have many pairs of jeans that cost a good deal more, but these are my go to jeans. Well made and are often sold at 40-50% off. The slim fit in these is just a bit wider than other BR slim fits.

I also like that these are 98% cotton with just a bit of stretch. I think that actually helps the jeans keep their shape better than those with more stretch.

https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/p ... +Wash+Jean

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:02 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:

LOL

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am
Levis 511. Slim, not skinny or tight -- perfect fit. Classic look, looks great with blazer.
+1

nyclon

Post by nyclon » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Go to H&M.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:36 pm

I won't recommend a specific brand because there are many brands that are good.

I am in my late 60s, and here are my minimum requirements for "nice men's jeans":
— must be dark wash
— must have straight legs (not skinny, not baggy)
— cannot be "distressed" in any way
— cannot be folded up or rolled up at the ankles

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:42 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
coalcracker wrote:
Uhhh, what?

RandalThor

Post by RandalThor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Check out some of the recommendations over at dappered.com

See #3 "Dark Wash Denim" on this list at the link below
https://dappered.com/2018/09/10-mens-st ... e-in-navy/

Old Navy and J Crew Factory also offer some dark wash jeans in slim / straight fit as well that may work at a reasonable price that can be paired with multiple outfits. Keep an eye out for sales too.

Rand

mx711yam

Post by mx711yam » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 pm

Luckys now that they sell them at costco for like 30 a pair. They were well over 100 before that, a steal at 30.

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:22 pm

mx711yam wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 pm
Luckys now that they sell them at costco for like 30 a pair. They were well over 100 before that, a steal at 30.
My remaining pairs of Luckys were made in Haiti. With the high price of 3rd world economy Haitian labor maybe are they now made in some backwater 4th world economy to lower the price.

Can't get Luckys up here so guess we will be staying with Buffalos for our dress jeans.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:32 pm

mx711yam wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:24 pm
The problem with costco clothing is that the brands utilize the same strategy as they do with "factory outlets". The brand makes a lower quality version to sell in these markets.

WildcatTofu

Post by WildcatTofu » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:39 pm

By cheapest Denim you can get. I got mine from www.mottandbow.com, coupon: Shapiro.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm

I wear pretty much only Lucky jeans. The Italian denim with like 1-2% spandex is awesome and super comfortable. Retail they are like 120 but with a coupon or sale they are like 60-80.

Costco will sell Lucky jeans, but the material is inferior to the retail brand Lucky jeans in the nicer denim. I tried a 100% cotton denim pair from Costco and hated them.

I usually get about 2 years out of a pair before the crotch wears through. I don’t bother patching them because it never holds and adds discomfort. I wear the vintage straight style.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:11 pm

I most recently purchased a couple pair of Lee Jeans. They have so many styles and colors it made my head spin but I finally discovered one that I liked and that fits me well. I've gone to a Levi's store and tried on every style they have and none fit me well. I guess it's a good thing that if one looks long and hard enough there's bound to be a color and style that will work for them.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify, and while you're at it, Ignore the Noise!

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:32 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am
gtg970g wrote:
As does approximately half the customer population. You'd think there would be a store somewhere that only carries odd sizes...
Have you ever tried Lands End? Years ago they were tops in providing quality products in custom sizes and good pricing. Reliable sizing so I did not have to find that one brand's 33 waist worked and in another 34 was my fit and inseam, man that was another crap shoot from 32 to 33 to 34.
Sears stepped in and as far as I was concerned, it all went downhill.
Different corporate structure now, maybe they got their mojo back?

Now, I use Costco's designer sportswear department, works for me...
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

BeHolden

Post by BeHolden » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:41 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am
gtg970g wrote:
There is! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH ... UTF8&psc=1 In my size, 34/31 and with 1% Spandex, they are more comfortable than others. They look great and they are ONLY $19.00! I bought 6 pairs. Not all the the Wranglers have odd sizes, but many do, and I really love the Spandex. Some are 2% Spandex. I've had them for a few months and they still look great. The darker colors look like dress jeans.

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Strayshot wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:49 pm
I usually get about 2 years out of a pair before the crotch wears through. I don’t bother patching them because it never holds and adds discomfort.
Is this a humblebrag? :wink:

Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
coalcracker wrote:
I'm 40.

My first instinct is to disagree with you here, but I think it depends on style. An 80-year-old in skinny jeans would be...interesting. But relaxed leg, high waisted grandpa jeans would not seem out of place.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 pm

Dearborn denim. Far superior to the luckys and Levi’s of the world without a stupid price tag.

I recently gained weight, but can’t wait to lose it and got back into my ‘nice’ jeans.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:21 pm

They are double the price of those 2 brands (at least the Costco variety for lucky).

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:25 pm

poker27 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:04 pm
Dearborn denim. Far superior to the luckys and Levi’s of the world without a stupid price tag.

I recently gained weight, but can’t wait to lose it and got back into my ‘nice’ jeans.
These look like good quality, and a very good price for US made.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:58 am

Oakwood42 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am
+1
+2

I literally have 2 pairs. The best value in denim.