I would like a boat. I also know nothing about boats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
AirTimeMD

I would like a boat. I also know nothing about boats

Post by AirTimeMD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm

I am accustomed to being (or thinking that I am) reasonably educated on most purchases that I make; however, I find myself in a situation where I will be purchasing a boat for the family.

We purchased a home on a nice lake several years ago and have slowly renovated the backyard including the dock that came with the house. Everything is now done and we are ready to purchase a boat for the family. I am absolutely overwhelmed when going to websites where people sell boats at the 20+ different genres of boats.

Here is what I am looking for:
Something that is powerful enough to tow the kids for wake boarding/water fun but also that can seat 5-8 people for lake cruising and relaxing. My boat slip is approximately 23 feet long and 9 feet wide. Would anyone more intelligent than I am on the subject matter mind sharing some insight on the best way to approach this purchase? I obviously know that a boat is a depreciating luxury item but I'm trying to make the best decision given the original thought that I am going to purchase one...

Thank you.
ATD

celia

Re: I would like a boat. I also know nothing about boats

Post by celia » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:57 pm

I don’t know anything about boats either other than they are expensive to own. My question to you is if you also own the lake or only a tiny part of it?

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 am

Slightly used 17 foot Boston Whaler that has been checked out by a boat professional/appraiser/etc.

Quality
Incredible resale value
Large enough to be safe and stable.
Small enough to be easily docked and handled by 1 or 2 people.

Not sure how large your lake is.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:23 am

Have you taken a boating safety course? See if there is a nearby U.S. Power Squadrons class you can take. Many states also offer classes. Depending on what year you were born, it may be mandatory for you to take one.

Is there a local dealer who will let you rent / lease a 17-20’ bowrider for a summer? A month? A week? Depreciation on boats is downright insane. Be sure you’ll get the intended utilization.

Your intended purposes are at cross-purposes with each other for a single boat design. For pulling skiers / tubes, etc, you’ll want some flavor of “V” hull that has enough power to get up on the step quickly and provides a nice wake. For hauling people in a protected inland waterway, it is very hard to beat a pontoon boat. With a slip that large, you might come out ahead owning two used, depreciated boats, each built for its purpose, rather that buying a new boat that attempts to compromise. I mentioned a bowrider earlier because it is an attempt to be both a people hauler and a ski boat. But it isn’t a particularly good people hauler.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 am

AirTimeMD wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm
...I also know nothing about boats
The first thing to know about a boat is that she will make you very happy twice: first when you buy her and then when you sell her.

friuli_croatan

Post by friuli_croatan » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:29 am

Pontoon boat, especially if the lake doesn’t have consistent rough water. Pontoon boats nowadays are comfortable, fast, have sun shade, bathrooms and ski hookups. Granted if you are just skiing or tubing for general fun. If your kids are experts then they would want an actual ski boat.

For general purpose al around cruising relaxing and light-moderate skiing go with a pontoon.

They also make a tri-toon, which is a pontoon not with three pontoons, they are more stable in rough water and typically faster.

Boats are awesome if you live near water and “use” them regularly. Otherwise for 90% of folks they are money pits.

By the way, I have grown up on a 14ft vintage Boston whaler that hauled a young family of 5 and pulled a knee board. Moved up to a dual console fish/ski 17ft. Had Jon boats and skiffs. Dad finally bought a pontoon not and cruising with the family has never been more enjoyable.

Practice safe operation is of course key. The boating safety course is different for each state and not required over age 26 in my state. Either way practice/OJT training is the best way to learn. I grew up on boys and have professionally been trained on various platforms of “work” boats.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:39 am

It’s been said before, boaters safety course before you start looking at boats. Boat = bust out another thousand.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:24 am

The only thing you need to know about boats is that you don’t want a boat.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:25 am

Since you are saying you don't know anything about boats, how about renting a variety of different boats for a season? Try before you buy. And if you think renting is expensive, try ownership.

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:52 am

+1 for 16-18ft Bow-rider. Versatile , easy to operator, reasonable ski / wakeboard boat for kids. Many nice options.
+1 US Coast Guard Course. Really helpful (and reduces most boat insurance)

Horsepower will depend on how much you really will use to ski / wakeboard. You might be okay with 135 HP for most ski / wakeboard use, but 150 HP or above is often better. Inboard engine is a bit more versatile. There are only a few engine manufactures for recreational boats, all have long track records (Mercury Marine, Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda, Volvo Penta).

Are you in a region where winter temperatures go below freezing? If cold climate an outboard has the connivence of not needing to be winterized. A bit harder for skiing and wake boarding with kids.

Used boats are often a much better value. Many people buy a boat and put less than 100 total hours on it in several years (like new)

Enjoy the lake!

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 am

Another thought might be to look at what types of boats are common on the lake? The size of the lake might affect your decision, one of our local lakes has a horsepower restriction, etc. Have you talked to neighbors with boats?

Deblog

Post by Deblog » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:02 am

We live on a small lake and we bought a used deck boat. Seats 10 and can put up a small round table. Very happy with it. Ours is only 135 hp but that works and is what we could find used. Our lake has low hp limit for pontoons and are not allowed to pull tube. We are also off in a cove that can be a little shallow and a deep v bottom boat can be a problem.
On cost, it does cost more than you think. We have inboard motor and cleaning haul, winterizing and shrink wrap runs close to $700. Unwinterizing not so bad but we had no boat knowledge and no desire to learn routine maintenance. Have had our boat 4 seasons and still works well. Used was best way to go for us. If I sold today would not lose much.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 am
Slightly used 17 foot Boston Whaler that has been checked out by a boat professional/appraiser/etc.

Quality
Incredible resale value

+1 The Boston Whaler is a solidly built, classic, all purpose boat. It will serve the purposes you have described and last a long, long time if you buy one new or in carefully checked-out used condition. It is not a pro ski boat, but it would be perfectly suited for tubing, non-competitive wake boarding, and family skiing on two skis.

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:51 am

Pontoon boats are really ugly, imho.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:52 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:39 am
It’s been said before, boaters safety course before you start looking at boats. Boat = bust out another thousand.
I never heard that saying and that is funny.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 am

You may need a license, which would be covered by the 6 week power squadron or coast guard course. Look into insurance before you buy. Some companies won’t insure boats above some top speed. Mine would not over 45 and I had to provide documentation.

When considering buying, I talked with lots of people at our local lake. Concensus was that I could use a new boat or buy used and spend all my time working on it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:52 am

Thesaints wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:25 am
AirTimeMD wrote:
The first thing to know about a boat is that she will make you very happy twice: first when you buy her and then when you sell her.
Curious which boat you have owned?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 am
Have you talked to neighbors with boats?
You have a house on a lake. You have a dock. Maybe one of your neighbors will give you a boat for free because they want to upgrade.

Have you talked to neighbors with boats?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:01 am

Some very good posts above about taking a boating course and options on boats.
I would also add that you really need to do some research on boats in general and also on which boat would fit your needs.
That is even more important since you have very little knowledge of boating.
Focusing on 19-22' outboard powered boat with the required seating, ability to get in and out, and preferable used but in good condition would be a start.
Figuring out who will work on the boat/outboard on or near the lake will take you to another source of which outboards they service and how you will be getting that done. You will also need to figure out insurance, where to store when out of the water, and whether you will need a trailer for it.
Just like I would not usually go to a boating site for financial information I would suggest you go to a few boating sites like 'iboats' and 'thehulltruth'.
There are likely more localized sites as well if you want to utilize your location.
Good luck and have fun...

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:04 am

A boaters safety course first! Check out requirements for your state.

http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/la ... cfm?lid=17

nick evets

Post by nick evets » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:01 am
Some very good posts above about taking a boating course and options on boats.
I would also add that you really need to do some research on boats in general and also on which boat would fit your needs.
That is even more important since you have very little knowledge of boating.
Focusing on 19-22' outboard powered boat with the required seating, ability to get in and out, and preferable used but in good condition would be a start.
Figuring out who will work on the boat/outboard on or near the lake will take you to another source of which outboards they service and how you will be getting that done. You will also need to figure out insurance, where to store when out of the water, and whether you will need a trailer for it.
Just like I would not usually go to a boating site for financial information I would suggest you go to a few boating sites like 'iboats' and 'thehulltruth'.
There are likely more localized sites as well if you want to utilize your location.
Good luck and have fun...
This.

Really, there's a large piece of (what should be fun) work that doesn't lend itself to "online" but should be local and personal. What boats are common at your lake? What do your neighbors use and like? Will they take your for a ride? Who is the good local service shop and what brand(s) do they work on? Etc.

Point

Post by Point » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am

I enjoy my sailboat. But I also enjoy cleaning it, changing the zincs, oil, rigging, fittings, treating mildew, waxing, paying slip fees and Hull cleaning fees (not really the last two). Be sure to have insurance, training, licenses, and umbrella coverage.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:14 am

In a similar situation, we did the following:
We knew we would spend time at the lake, more during warmer months, of course, but not every week. We wanted to cruise around and to ski and thought of possibly a pontoon and a ski boat, but did not feel we could justify the expense. The first thing we learned is that the saying "The best days to own a boat are the day you purchase and the day you sell." That made the purchase a no brainer. If the lake is large, there will be consignment shops selling anything from junk to extremely nice boats for a discount. We decided to purchase a pontoon with a 150 hp. You can ski behind it, though you will want a "ski boat" if you are going to do a lot of skiing or have very experienced skiers. It was excellent for our adult children and for inexperienced skiers and younger children about age 12 or so. It was perfect for us since it was a 22 foot pontoon that would seat 12. It fit easily into a slip such as you described, and it was large enough for cruising, though you could not ski (Difficult to get a skier up) if there were 10 or more people in the pontoon. It was a great purchase, a very nice pontoon, and we paid approximately $17,000 for it, sold it when we sold the lake house for $15,000 through the consignment shop where purchased. We found we skied much less than we cruised.

Tim

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:15 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I used to sail a lot. We had a saying for people who wanted to know if they would enjoy sailing. "Rig up a rope swing in your back yard, get two friends to come over. Have one swing you back and forth while the other sprays you in the face with a cold hose."
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:18 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 am
You may need a license, which would be covered by the 6 week power squadron or coast guard course. Look into insurance before you buy. Some companies won’t insure boats above some top speed. Mine would not over 45 and I had to provide documentation.

When considering buying, I talked with lots of people at our local lake. Concensus was that I could use a new boat or buy used and spend all my time working on it.
"Some companies won’t insure boats above some top speed. Mine would not over 45 and I had to provide documentation."
I am very surprised by this - does this apply to lakes only? We are in the NE and boat mainly in salt water and have never had a restriction like that with more than a few boats that could exceed 45 by a large margin.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:57 am

fourwheelcycle wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:45 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:52 am

Quality
Incredible resale value

+1 The Boston Whaler is a solidly built, classic, all purpose boat. It will serve the purposes you have described and last a long, long time if you buy one new or in carefully checked-out used condition. It is not a pro ski boat, but it would be perfectly suited for tubing, non-competitive wake boarding, and family skiing on two skis.
+1
Yes. I had one for many years.
There was wonderful when we bought it and took it out weekly in the Bay.
. . . . .
There was also wonderful when we sold it.

The 2 greatest moments in boat (insert other toy) ownership. :oops:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Presintense

Post by Presintense » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am

Boat: A hole in the water through which you can throw money.
Performance = Potential - Distraction

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:05 am

BOAT: Bust Out Another Thousand

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 am

There are a lot of regional boat companies. What are the brands being sold around you?

Fishing, water skiing, tubing, floating, sunbathing?

Lund is a good brand. More for fishing though. A pontoon might be a good choice for all purpose usage.

I would probably look used. Boats drop in value pretty fast. If you figure out what you want to use it for, that will narrow the boats you look at.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 am

Thesaints wrote:
AirTimeMD wrote:

unstartable

Post by unstartable » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 am

My family has had an 18 ft, then a 20 ft aluminum fishing boat for about 30 years now. There are many great memories on those two boats, and my parents now spend the summer on the lake using it daily. Well worth the cost in my opinion. Boats are not inexpensive, but a moderately sized outboard powered open boat doesn't cost more than many other family activities/hobbies. Since you live on a lake, it seems like it would be used a lot and make a lot of sense.

As you know, boats are pretty specialized for usage and the size of the body of water. A used 20 ft fiberglass outboard or inboard/outboard bow-rider would probably work for you.

But... how large is the lake?

I would not buy a center console for a family.

Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am

munemaker wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 am
Thesaints wrote:
AirTimeMD wrote:
+1
Jim

dpardpar

Post by dpardpar » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:38 am

MasterCraft or Nautique are the two I'd consider with a leaning toward MasterCraft. Not cheap but very solid reputation, designed for skiing, wake boarding, wake surfing, and tubing. Look at the warranties! A couple offer 5 year complete coverage if your willing to buy new. My brother-n-law just traded in a MasterCraft XT21 - gorgeous boat and upgraded to the 24' for a bit more space. I'd seek a newer model still under warranty but not brand new.

What you'll find is that unlike cars with a great deal of automation in the build process, boats are more custom built so you may have two boats by the same manufacturer and one is great while another not so much. Much comes down to reputation so the two I mention above have great reputations and resell value is solid.

You didn't state how much you want to spend so while the boats above are suggested, there are certainly more inexpensive boats to be found out there. These are great lake boats.

WildBill

Post by WildBill » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:55 am

jebmke wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:15 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I used to sail a lot. We had a saying for people who wanted to know if they would enjoy sailing. "Rig up a rope swing in your back yard, get two friends to come over. Have one swing you back and forth while the other sprays you in the face with a cold hose."
Howdy

You forgot to add the part about ripping up $100 dollar bills at the same time :twisted:

Happy sailing

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:01 am

Some of our best memories and times were while we were boating. Raising kids while getting on the water allowed for some really fun and exciting cruises with many friends and family along the way. Since some of them are now grown up or gone we look back and are vary happy we did not pass up the opportunities and experiences that boating had in store for us. So many great destinations with new places to explore and old places that always offered a good time. Although we are not done yet times do change and the ability to live your life becomes different over time - if this is a goal I suggest you do it while you can. As with most things in life …. some of this comes with an expiration date.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:26 am

A simple pontoon or tri-toon with an outboard motor (get 150 hp+ to pull water-skiers) is a solid choice.

Easy to get on and off for everyone in the family, fits a lot of people, bimini top offers shade, can pull a tube or a skiier, comfortable for a nice sunset cruise.

How big/rough is the lake? A tri-toon is more stable.

We bought a 26' tri-toon new, and (knock on wood), so far, after 5 years, haven't had any issues...

(I really shouldn't be tempting fate by posting that in March.. I haven't even SEEN my boat in 3 months; I'm heading back out to the lake in 2 weeks to check things out).

We have a covered dock and just leave the boat up on a lift all winter long. I do bring the battery home with during the winter, and keep it on a trickle charger.
The J stands for Jay

robertmcd

Post by robertmcd » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 am

Super Air Nautique G25.

-ryan-

Post by -ryan- » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:34 am

I will agree with others here that boating is expensive, and you should really consider renting or borrowing a boat for a stretch to see if it is really something you want to get into. That said, if you are going to get that much use out of it and you have the money to purchase, maintain, repair, and fuel it, I'm not against the concept.

We love canoeing, so we have several canoes. Some off them were quite expensive, but the beauty is they are extremely cheap to own! Not as effective for towing water skiers though...

Bir48die

Post by Bir48die » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:50 am

Sure, boats can be expensive. However, if you live on a lake how can you not have one?

Two ways to go:

1) Party Barge - Pontoon boat. Great for entertaining, bad for everything else.
2) Ski Boat - More versatile but limit on number of people you can have in it.

First thing is to get your boaters license. It's a must.

Second is to buy a used boat that doesn't make you cringe at the price or think of the loss when you sell it. Think of an outboard motor versus inboard/outboard or inboard. How fast do you want to go and are you pulling overweight skiers?

By buying used you've cut your initial investment. Sure there's some risk but you can assess how much you are using it, storage and maintenance costs, etc. Then if you wanted to sell, you could recapture most of your money back.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:11 am

1. Go to a boat show, take the family, climb aboard, open everything, note quality of construction between brands. Listen to the sales pitch. Figure out which boat will suit your purposes. DO NOT BUY.

2. Buy USED, WELL KNOWN QUALITY BRAND, that way you won't loose much in depreciation should you choose to move up or give up or change type.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:38 am

You didn't say whether the lake you are on is privately owned or public. If it is a private lake then you are likely limited on size HP and overall length because the longer a boat is the more it's bow wave displaces when it is moving in the water. The larger bow wave will cause more damage to the shore line. You will need to consult your HOA documents or speak to the local Marina Manager at the lake for details on restrictions.

You can buy a "V" hull type boat that is designed for skiing and watersports or a pontoon that is more for cruising but also gives you options for pulling towables or skiing. Most pontoons have 2 pontoons but some have a middle pontoon. These are usually more sporty and stable in the water. A tritoon with a 150 HP or better motor would be a good choice if you want the towing capabilities of a V Hull and the cruising capabilities of a Pontoon/Tritoon.

You will need someone local to service the boat once or twice a year. The boat won't need much service but the motor will need to have oil & filter changes as well as lower unit fluid changes at regular intervals; usually every 100 hours or so. They typically won't do this work with the boat in the water or on the lift. You should identify who the local dealer(s) are and make sure to buy a boat with a motor from a manufacturer that they service. Common boat motors are Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude and Mercury so you will most likely have a dealer locally that services one or more of these. You'll also have to decide between 2 stroke or 4 stroke. 4 stroke motors are like your car. They use oil for lubricant and coolant. 2 stroke motors are like your weedeater. They use a gas/oil mix. 2 strokes are faster "out of the hole" and require a little bit less service but you have to buy 2 stroke oil in addition to your gasoline. 4 strokes are a little bit more annual maintenance but will likely last longer. Either type will likely be fine for you. There is a lot of argument in the boating world between 2 stroke and 4 stroke.

I would echo those that recommend going to the Coast Guard classes and taking the test. In addition you should see what your state requirements are for boat owners.

I'd also encourage you to go to a boat show and see what is out there. Sit in the seats and play with the gadgets to get an idea of what you like.

Good luck with your decision.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am

Jimbo9911 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:29 am
munemaker wrote:
Thesaints wrote:
AirTimeMD wrote:
+1
Jim
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I get tired of hearing all the common never own boat sayings on here every boat thread. There are two types of people - land people and water people.
Curious if the "never own a boat" crowd has ever owned a boat?

OP, you have the perfect setup for a boat. Assuming you're going to be using it a lot, I might buy new but get something basic since it's your first one. You can always upgrade later. Don't be scared off from the land people. Get one and enjoy! And if you need someone to help you drive, give me a call :)

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:17 pm

We've had a simple bow rider for 6 years. We pull it out of the water in the winter, stick it in the garage, and then spring it out when the weather turns warm.

We had jet skied for years before we bought the boat. A few notes:

- If you're mechanically inclined at all, you can do the normal oil and filter changes yourself. An inboard/outboard motor does have things (e.g., gimbels) that do need professional servicing every 50 hours or so.

- If you plan on never towing it anywhere, you can go a little larger. If you think you'd ever want to trailer it to a different lake, think smaller.

- If you plan on tubing or skiing, you want a V8 engine, with fuel injection.

- Do you have a tow vehicle? (We found that this was where the cost increases were most noticeable - acquiring the accessories, such as a tow vehicle). ;)

- How old are the kids? I personally was OK with an I/O boat with a prop since all of our towing is a tube, and the kids are older. If I had younger kids (or we had people wakeboarding/surfing closer to the boat), I might have had stronger feelings for a jet boat - i.e., Yamaha.

- How much money do you want to spend? We bought our BRAND NEW 19' bow rider as "new old stock" from a dealership that had acquired it when another dealership went bankrupt. It was 2 model years old when we bought it for $25k - MSRP had been $40k+ two years previously.

- +2 on checking out the iboats forums - those people are seriously knowledgeable, and seriously kind.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am
OP, you have the perfect setup for a boat.
This.

The entire annoying thing about owning a boat is having to trailer it, drive it to a lake, put it in, take it out.

Whenever you see someone selling a jetski with only 11 hours on it, you know that poor guy found it too much trouble each weekend to haul it to a lake.

Having your own dock on the lake (with a lift) makes owning a boat or a jetski a breeze.
The J stands for Jay

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm

HomerJ wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:27 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
OP, you have the perfect setup for a boat.
This.

The entire annoying thing about owning a boat is having to trailer it, drive it to a lake, put it in, take it out.

Whenever you see someone selling a jetski with only 11 hours on it, you know that poor guy found it too much trouble each weekend to haul it to a lake.

Having your own dock on the lake (with a lift) makes owning a boat or a jetski a breeze.

"Having your own dock on the lake (with a lift) makes owning a boat or a jetski a breeze."
Or storing your jet ski on your larger moored boat.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Jimbo9911 wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Thesaints wrote:
AirTimeMD wrote:
+1
Jim
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I get tired of hearing all the common never own boat sayings on here every boat thread. There are two types of people - land people and water people.

OP, you have the perfect setup for a boat. Assuming you're going to be using it a lot, I might buy new but get something basic since it's your first one. You can always upgrade later. Don't be scared off from the land people. Get one and enjoy! And if you need someone to help you drive, give me a call :)
No, I let my relatives buy the boat, shell out thousands for repairs, followed by them selling it for next to nothing. If I want to drive a boat, I’ll rent it and not have to worry about maintaining it, paying docking fees, and pulling it out of the water come fall.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:45 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Jimbo9911 wrote:
munemaker wrote:
Thesaints wrote:

+1
Jim
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:

No, I let my relatives buy the boat, shell out thousands for repairs, followed by them selling it for next to nothing. If I want to drive a boat, I’ll rent it and not have to worry about maintaining it, paying docking fees, and pulling it out of the water come fall.
Boats are not for you - that's for sure. One less thing to have to decide about...

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

smitcat wrote:
Or storing your jet ski on your larger moored boat.
Heh, now we're talking a whole other level.

Does your "boat" have a helicopter pad too? :)
The J stands for Jay

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
I let my relatives buy the boat
If I want to drive a boat, I’ll rent it
These are both VERY good plans, I admit. Best way to do it for most people.

OP has a house by the lake with a dock though.

If he's going to spend multiple weekends and a 1-2 vacation weeks up at the lake each summer/fall, having his own boat is definitely a decent idea.
The J stands for Jay

50/50

Post by 50/50 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:38 pm

AirTimeMD wrote:
I am accustomed to being (or thinking that I am) reasonably educated on most purchases that I make; however, I find myself in a situation where I will be purchasing a boat for the family.

We purchased a home on a nice lake several years ago and have slowly renovated the backyard including the dock that came with the house. Everything is now done and we are ready to purchase a boat for the family. I am absolutely overwhelmed when going to websites where people sell boats at the 20+ different genres of boats.

Here is what I am looking for:
Something that is powerful enough to tow the kids for wake boarding/water fun but also that can seat 5-8 people for lake cruising and relaxing. My boat slip is approximately 23 feet long and 9 feet wide. Would anyone more intelligent than I am on the subject matter mind sharing some insight on the best way to approach this purchase? I obviously know that a boat is a depreciating luxury item but I'm trying to make the best decision given the original thought that I am going to purchase one...

Thank you.
ATD
You have received some very good advice. Please heed it.

I would add that I have had three boats over time and sold them for various reasons. If you are limited to using a boat only a few months a year a rental may be your best bet. If I lived on a lake that I could go out on for 9-12 months a year I'd for sure own a boat.

I don't think I saw a recommendation about an umbrella policy. I'd consider that if you don't have one.