Please suggest: A forum to discuss relationship problems

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kouppnky

Please suggest: A forum to discuss relationship problems

Post by kouppnky »

Hi,

Is there a reliable forum to discuss relationship issues and get advice? (serious issues like conflict, abuse, etc).
A high quality forum (like this one) with experts or knowledgeable members?

Thank you.
runner540

Re: Please suggest: A forum to discuss relationship problems

Post by runner540 »

I really doubt it: the qualified professionals have ethical standards that may not allow providing individual advice in an anonymous internet forum. Also, abuse is a crime.

If you are facing a relationship issue that you need help with, I suggest you talk with your clergy to get counselor referrals or call your insurance. Most plans cover some counseling sessions and your employer may offer "employee assistance programs" that will help connect you with appropriate resources.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

you local hospital or county public health department likely has a good social worker outreach group
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE »

I'd echo runner540 - it's probably best to speak to a professional rather than a forum for something like this, especially with the severity of the issues you've mentioned. Many employers have programs that support some number of meetings with a therapist or counselor, no questions asked. This can be a great way to get professional help without any cost if it's available.
Ithrive

Post by Ithrive »

Hmmm, does this need whet the appetites of our entrepreneurial members who would be inclined to create and curate such a forum. After all,are personal finances not as dicey, and yet, here we are. :wink:
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

We're far from professionals...but the scope of conversation is less limited at the Mr. Money Mustache forum and some of the most personal threads have been very thoughtfully responded to. There are some good examples in the "Mustachian and Single" & "Ask a Mustachian" sub forum recently. I think that, like here, there is a bias towards very logical responses, which if you are that kind of person (Most of us spending our spare time on personal finance forums are...) & experiencing conflict in your relationships as a result, this can create a type of echo chamber or confirmation bias. Still, on the whole, could be useful.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/perso ... o-savings/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a ... msg2322874
buhlaxtus

Post by buhlaxtus »

runner540 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:48 pm I suggest you talk with your clergy to get counselor referrals or call your insurance. Most plans cover some counseling sessions and your employer may offer "employee assistance programs" that will help connect you with appropriate resources.
Clergy have a poor history in these matters, some would even say disgusting. Perhaps your priest/parish is different. The suggestion to find a professional counselor in general is a good one. Never assume any specific counselor necessarily has good or ethical input however - be willing to seek a couple of opinions.
brandy

Post by brandy »

Good question, I too would like such a place. Miss Manners isn't it.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Reddit has many relevant subs for these type of things.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Make a throwaway account and post on Reddit. A ton of the answers will be crap, but the good answers usually make their way to the top.
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

The problem with a forum for this type of thing is liability, it really is something you need to talk to a professional about. You do not want someone with no or unknown credentials providing you advice, you also won't know if they have your best intentions at heart. If you OR your spouse have an EAP that provides counseling rest assured the employer wont know you are using it. Employers get reports of how many employees use the plan but privacy laws prevent specifics or identifiable information from being shared. An employer EAP typically provides benefits to the employee and all immediate family members including spouses and children.

If you do not have or do not want to use an EAP check out betterhelp.com, they offer unlimited counseling with a licensed professional for a relatively small monthly fee (something like $200). You can connect with your counselor through online messaging, the phone and through video conferencing.
Never assume any specific counselor necessarily has good or ethical input however - be willing to seek a couple of opinions.
Good advice, counselors are just people too but they are required by law to act in the client's best interest. Most counselors don't actually give advice (liability) but guide the person through making their own decisions and provide mental and emotional support. A counselor can be a great way to put things in perspective and identify if a relationship is unhealthy. We can all use counseling :)
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

kouppnky wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:21 pm Hi,

Is there a reliable forum to discuss relationship issues and get advice? (serious issues like conflict, abuse, etc).
A high quality forum (like this one) with experts or knowledgeable members?

Thank you.
I cannot suggest a forum for you. I can tell you about my experience. Decades of relationship experience has shown me that serious relationship problems can never be resolved and it is best to move on. I wish you all the best.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Professional advice is unethical, but many psychologists, Licensed Clinical Social Workers, Professional Counselors, etc. have considerable information on their websites. Unfortunately, relationship issues are not typically amenable to concrete advice alone since there are such significant emotional components related to the issues.

Tim
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Nowizard wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:01 pmProfessional advice is unethical,...
I'm curious what you mean by this?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (the question has been answered, discussion starting to derail). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.