What golf ball do you use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EdNorton

What golf ball do you use?

Post by EdNorton »

And what is your handicap? I use Noodles, Long and soft. 18.8 handicap. How much a dozen?
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
Peculiar_Investor

Re: What golf ball do you use?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Hover around a 5.0 index and I play Titleist Pro V1x or Pro V1 when playing competitive rounds. For other rounds I find any of the top calibre balls from TaylorMade or Callaway work just as well. I generally don't purchase balls but rely on others at my club who buy the best and then lose them 🤣

I recall that Golf Digest did a golf ball comparison vs handicap factor a few years ago that provided a pretty extensive list of possible balls to consider based on handicap factor and playing characteristics. Unfortunately I'm unable to find it quickly using Google.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Gill

Post by Gill »

I use whatever I find on the course. Belong to a country club where I find mostly Titleist Pro v1's. Have accumulated so many I rarely look for balls any more. Record haul was one day when a lake became very clear after weeks of being cloudy with algae. I was the only one on the course and I scooped balls until finally a group came close to me and I had to resume play. Recovered 237 balls that day and left at least an equal number in the lake. Haven't bought a ball in years.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
chevca

Post by chevca »

Soft ones because I'm not good. :happy

I have some Nike and Callaway golf balls from Walmart now. They're both pretty good. When I hit them good they fly nicely. Then there's the operator error swings and it wouldn't matter what ball is down there.
JeepDaze

Post by JeepDaze »

The cheapest possible since I lose probably 10 per round
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

When I was an 8 I used soft, spin balls for best "feel". Name brands. Medium priced.
Now about a 12 and more inconsistent, I use soft, medium spin balls. Also for feel.
I buy in bulk when there's a sale on the brands and types I like. I "retire" a ball when it gets cut up or "fuzzy" from my wedges.
For over hazards, force carry, water, ocean, etc. Everyone is our senior league and groups switches to "found balls". I usually use my fuzzy balls as long as I have them.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

On re-using lost balls, some say that one a golf ball gets a taste of freedom, it will soon arrange to be lost again at the expense of the finder’s golf score. :happy
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

:) :) :)
If you value a bird in the hand, pay off the loan. If you are willing to risk getting two birds (or none) from the market, invest the funds.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

I'm about an 18 hdcp. I like titleist pro V, but I'm too cheap to pay full price. I can often find them at the flea market for about $1/ball, gently used.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Chrome soft, the cheaper ones at about $28 a dozen or ProVI when I get some for a gift only. You can buy gently used ones for about $20 a dozen at Steinmart, though. No official handicap but scores usually in mid-80's on public courses from middle tees.

Tim
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

Snell MTB, or Titleist ProV1x
Funding secured
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

My eyes don’t track white balls in the air very well anymore. But I can see the orange ones. The best ball I ca find in orange is from Vice so I’m trying them this year. (Not a fan of Volvik)

https://www.vicegolf.com/us2/all-balls
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I normally use the ones I find when I'm looking for the one I drove into the woods.

When I get home and my wife asks "how did you do?" I normally only talk about whether I am up or down in terms of number of golf balls (found minus lost).
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

EdNorton wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:04 am And what is your handicap? I use Noodles, Long and soft. 18.8 handicap. How much a dozen?
I always use used golf balls. The cheaper the better.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

If Costco member, get Kirkland 3-piece balls, $24+$5 shipping for 2 dozen, best deal out there and they are premium balls. 9 handicap. You get a premium ball for the price of cheap rock hard balls.
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

HCP is 1.4. I use ProV1 and ProV1x's on the course. Use tournament winnings to stock up whenever I'm in the money. I have a golf SIM in my house for practice. Hitting a golf ball indoors over and over again with a full swing damages balls super quickly. I have to rotate/switch them out with new balls before the cover gets too scruffy and starts damaging the impact screen. The balls will also crack in half w/o much notice. For this I use Vice Pro's which are about half the cost of ProV1's and the closest I can find to the feel of them. I've played them outdoors a time or two and while I like the feel, they seems less durable. My wedges seem to damage the cover pretty quickly.
Will 82

Post by Will 82 »

Callaway Chrome Soft (favorite) or Snell MTB (best deal when buying 6 dozen).
golfer292

Post by golfer292 »

OPB'S (other peoples balls) The ones I find on the course while waiting for the slower group ahead of me. I have not bought balls since 2001.
I have even found balls I have lost previous rounds when the balls decided to escape my custody.
Last edited by golfer292 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Pro V1, because I live on a golf course and find many. No idea what my official handicap would be, but my average score is around 90. I doubt I would pay for these balls.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Kenkat wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am On re-using lost balls, some say that one a golf ball gets a taste of freedom, it will soon arrange to be lost again at the expense of the finder’s golf score. :happy
Another version: once a golf ball starts to drink, it will always drink.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I am 74 and swing a lot slower than I used to. Titleist DT which is supposedly best for people like me. However, like many others, I will often play what I find, as long as it is a decent ball and not a rock painted white.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I can usually find enough "used" Pro V1s to keep using those. If I'm teeing off on a hole with water or close woods, I will use a lesser brand "non-Pro V1". I can't remember the last time I bought golf balls, because I'm so adept at finding lost balls in the deep grass or woods. My handicap is probably somewhere in the 20ish range.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

carolinaman wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 am
Kenkat wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:07 am On re-using lost balls, some say that one a golf ball gets a taste of freedom, it will soon arrange to be lost again at the expense of the finder’s golf score. :happy
Another version: once a golf ball starts to drink, it will always drink.
I cancelled my membership at the local swimming pool once I started playing golf. I also use Kirkland or whatever people give to me as gifts when visiting. My wife is a 8 handicap and I usually lose by 4-5 stokes per side if I am playing well. Drive for show putt for dough...well I cant do either on the same round. Usually neither.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

golfer292 wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:55 am OPB'S (other peoples balls) The ones I find on the course while waiting for the slower group ahead of me. I have not bought balls since 2001.
I have even found balls I have lost previous rounds when the balls decided to escape my custody.
I have never purchased a golf ball........of course I've only been golfing for about 5-6 years. I golf with a group of retired guys and after I hit my ball......which usually ends up in the weeds or woods.....everyone is off looking for mine and they end up finding a bunch of balls so I am the recipient of those. :D

Just started golf lessons on Tuesday.........bout time to keep the lost balls to a minimum......<15 per round..... 8-)
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

sixty40 wrote: ↑Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:13 pm If Costco member, get Kirkland 3-piece balls, $24+$5 shipping for 2 dozen, best deal out there and they are premium balls. 9 handicap. You get a premium ball for the price of cheap rock hard balls.
+1 on Kirkland. Have also liked Snell and Vice, 2 “as good as Pro V” brands for a lot less.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Usually a ball that was just purchased new by somebody else, then sliced into the woods on the 1st tee - many are pro v1's. The 2 other in the sleeve usually are nearby so most of the balls I hit have only been hit once (by somebody else). I rarely lose a ball so I have quite the inventory.
Time2Quit

Post by Time2Quit »

HoosierJim wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:20 am Usually a ball that was just purchased new by somebody else, then sliced into the woods on the 1st tee - many are pro v1's. The 2 other in the sleeve usually are nearby so most of the balls I hit have only been hit once (by somebody else). I rarely lose a ball so I have quite the inventory.
+1 the first tee is the best. I am too cheap to buy balls. Fall time is best: Grass and brush die down, you get reduced rates, lots of empty courses and lots of time to look for and select balls (I only grab the med to high end balls). I have not bought any balls in over 20 years.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor." --Seneca
CokeSlurpee711

Post by CokeSlurpee711 »

As long as I'm a double digit handicap, anything not hard as a rock and in too rough a shape. If I could get to single digit, those Vice & Kirkland golf balls look interesting.
TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 »

9 handicap with high swing speed. I play Chrome Soft X right now, I bought 4 dozen on golfwrx.com Classifieds for $120. I also bought a dozen Snell MTB-X to play this spring and try out for fun and they're really nice balls. I have found the Snells scuff a lot easier, I play a wide open course without much OB or hazards so it's not unusual for me to get many rounds out of my balls, so that makes the scuffing a big issue for me. If you play courses where you lose lots of balls then it's definitely worth it to play cheaper brands. Since I don't lose many I prefer paying for balls with a higher quality cover.
Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich »

Handicap is 35 and I use the cheapest ones I can get.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Low handicap. Titleist ProV1. Titleist has their annual "loyalty" offer going on now, where if you buy 3 dozen they give you a 4th free, and include free personalization and shipping. Works out to about $36/dozen with several online retailers (I use Budget Golf from IL).
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

For those that go looking for golf balls, but only pick up "good" ones, please do your course a favor and pick up all lost golf balls you see, even if you throw them in the trash or the basket on the cart. Golf balls laying around a course are extremely hard on the maintenance crew's equipment. Also, many balls are lost near the edges of the course boundaries and if there are houses nearby, mowing over them can send them, or parts of a ball, flying in any direction.
sixty40

Post by sixty40 »

You can get also get "PRACTICE" ProV1 balls at about $30/doz in most places including Dicks and golf discount stores on-line. I use them also, they are the same as the regular ProV1's, you may get a mix, legal and tender for use for handicapping and most if not all all competitions, and is looked at as a logo ball.
Beach

Post by Beach »

FlyAF wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am HCP is 1.4. I use ProV1 and ProV1x's on the course. Use tournament winnings to stock up whenever I'm in the money. I have a golf SIM in my house for practice. Hitting a golf ball indoors over and over again with a full swing damages balls super quickly. I have to rotate/switch them out with new balls before the cover gets too scruffy and starts damaging the impact screen. The balls will also crack in half w/o much notice. For this I use Vice Pro's which are about half the cost of ProV1's and the closest I can find to the feel of them. I've played them outdoors a time or two and while I like the feel, they seems less durable. My wedges seem to damage the cover pretty quickly.
A little off topic, but I am researching indoor SIMs. Care to share what ya got? I was looking at Skytrak, just wish it was priced like Optishot.

On topic, I used Titleist ProV1's when I am playing competitive. I saw a mention of the Kirkland Costco balls, sadly the new ones they released aren't as good as the ProV1 knockoffs they used to have before being sued by Titleist.
Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me »

The ones from our office marketing closet. Usually a variety Titleist branded balls.

:sharebeer
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

Beach wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am
FlyAF wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am HCP is 1.4. I use ProV1 and ProV1x's on the course. Use tournament winnings to stock up whenever I'm in the money. I have a golf SIM in my house for practice. Hitting a golf ball indoors over and over again with a full swing damages balls super quickly. I have to rotate/switch them out with new balls before the cover gets too scruffy and starts damaging the impact screen. The balls will also crack in half w/o much notice. For this I use Vice Pro's which are about half the cost of ProV1's and the closest I can find to the feel of them. I've played them outdoors a time or two and while I like the feel, they seems less durable. My wedges seem to damage the cover pretty quickly.
A little off topic, but I am researching indoor SIMs. Care to share what ya got? I was looking at Skytrak, just wish it was priced like Optishot.

On topic, I used Titleist ProV1's when I am playing competitive. I saw a mention of the Kirkland Costco balls, sadly the new ones they released aren't as good as the ProV1 knockoffs they used to have before being sued by Titleist.
For hardware I have the Foresight GC2 launch monitor + HMT and Live View cameras. Software I use Foresight's old FR1 for range practice and ProTee's The Golf Club for actual simulation. There's a lot more to it, but those are the big spendy items. There are more options when it comes to the computer/graphics card, projector, screen, mat, etc...that can be customized to fit your space.

It seems you've done a bit of research into these. I wouldn't go with anything less than a Skytrak. The otpi and things like it are just toys/video games. The skytrak's delay from when you hit the shot to when it is registered is about 3 seconds which is a deal breaker for me, I want instantaneous feedback and am willing to pay for it. I also wanted clubhead data which is not available on the ST platform. If you can handle that delay, the ST is a good piece of hardware at a great price. To have an accurate enough SIM for game improvement, you're gonna spend 5-7 grand minimum IMO. You can PM me with any questions you might have; I've installed a SIM in my last 3 houses.
Hukedonfonix4me

FlyAF wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 am
FlyAF wrote: ↑Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 am A little off topic, but I am researching indoor SIMs. Care to share what ya got? I was looking at Skytrak, just wish it was priced like Optishot.

For hardware I have the Foresight GC2 launch monitor + HMT and Live View cameras. Software I use Foresight's old FR1 for range practice and ProTee's The Golf Club for actual simulation. There's a lot more to it, but those are the big spendy items. There are more options when it comes to the computer/graphics card, projector, screen, mat, etc...that can be customized to fit your space.

It seems you've done a bit of research into these. I wouldn't go with anything less than a Skytrak. The otpi and things like it are just toys/video games. The skytrak's delay from when you hit the shot to when it is registered is about 3 seconds which is a deal breaker for me, I want instantaneous feedback and am willing to pay for it. I also wanted clubhead data which is not available on the ST platform. If you can handle that delay, the ST is a good piece of hardware at a great price. To have an accurate enough SIM for game improvement, you're gonna spend 5-7 grand minimum IMO. You can PM me with any questions you might have; I've installed a SIM in my last 3 houses.
FlyAF/Beach, I ran across this site the other day (when daydreaming about SIM's):

https://practical-golf.com/home-golf-simulator/

Is this good information? I'm clueless on the SIM's, but was interested in useful information for our next home.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

Hukedonfonix4me wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:27 pm
Beach wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:49 am A little off topic, but I am researching indoor SIMs. Care to share what ya got? I was looking at Skytrak, just wish it was priced like Optishot.

FlyAF/Beach, I ran across this site the other day (when daydreaming about SIM's):

https://practical-golf.com/home-golf-simulator/

Is this good information? I'm clueless on the SIM's, but was interested in useful information for our next home.
It's certainly not BAD information and covers a lot of the different pieces that are required to build a SIM, albeit, at a very basic level. I don't know this site's do's or dont's about posting links, but you can google "golf simulator forum" and you will find almost too much information on that site. It is to golf SIM's what this site is to investing. Just about any question or issue you could ever face has been addressed there.

The most critical aspect to putting a SIM together is the space that it will go into. The size and dimensions of the room will dictate everything from what hardware will be compatible, what projector, etc...etc... There are also a lot of things to consider, such as noise (a driver indoors is loud as is golf balls falling to the floor if on a 2nd floor) that 1st timers don't know to consider. I had a SIM setup in 2 previous houses (different parts of the country, I don't just move for fun) and when it was time to relocate the last time, I decided to build a house so that I could dictate every aspect of the space I was going to put mine. Now it looks like we get to relocate again lol. :oops:
Hukedonfonix4me

FlyAF wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:06 pm
Hukedonfonix4me wrote: ↑Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:27 pm
It's certainly not BAD information and covers a lot of the different pieces that are required to build a SIM, albeit, at a very basic level. I don't know this site's do's or dont's about posting links, but you can google "golf simulator forum" and you will find almost too much information on that site. It is to golf SIM's what this site is to investing. Just about any question or issue you could ever face has been addressed there.

The most critical aspect to putting a SIM together is the space that it will go into. The size and dimensions of the room will dictate everything from what hardware will be compatible, what projector, etc...etc... There are also a lot of things to consider, such as noise (a driver indoors is loud as is golf balls falling to the floor if on a 2nd floor) that 1st timers don't know to consider. I had a SIM setup in 2 previous houses (different parts of the country, I don't just move for fun) and when it was time to relocate the last time, I decided to build a house so that I could dictate every aspect of the space I was going to put mine. Now it looks like we get to relocate again lol. :oops:
FlyAF,

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

Low double-digit handicap, I play Snell Get Sum balls. $85 for six dozen, shipped, competes very well as far as I'm concerned with the Titleist DT and the Bridgestone e6.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.