Family man who misses driving a fun car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jack FFR1846

Re: Family man who misses driving a fun car

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:15 pm

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Aha! Then there is hope. First, have a yard sale. Get rid of all the stuff you have stored that nobody uses. Then find another home for the rest of the stuff somewhere that's not the garage. Then a question......is there enough height for a 4 post lift? They're great to store an extra car and of course can do duty for oil changes or if you happen to buy a Lotus, to take off the under panels to do any work on it. I have one in my garage.
Is that for real? You need to get under the lotus to work on it?
To get to the oil, yes. Like any of the really high priced exotics (Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenisegg), the bottom of the car is completely flat for air flow. They're aluminum on a Lotus......carbon fibre on the "really" expensive cars. With the lift, it's a snap to do anything on it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm

For 6-8 people you need a minivan, not a sports car.

Teslas accelerate quickly, but are not otherwise sporty.

In your place I'd consider a MB AMG GLC 63 or Porsche Macan, or perhaps the upcoming BMW X3M or M3.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:15 pm
EnjoyIt wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Aha! Then there is hope. First, have a yard sale. Get rid of all the stuff you have stored that nobody uses. Then find another home for the rest of the stuff somewhere that's not the garage. Then a question......is there enough height for a 4 post lift? They're great to store an extra car and of course can do duty for oil changes or if you happen to buy a Lotus, to take off the under panels to do any work on it. I have one in my garage.
Is that for real? You need to get under the lotus to work on it?
To get to the oil, yes. Like any of the really high priced exotics (Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenisegg), the bottom of the car is completely flat for air flow. They're aluminum on a Lotus......carbon fibre on the "really" expensive cars. With the lift, it's a snap to do anything on it.
Which Lotus are you in. Do you track it? If so how has wear and tear been? how has the reliability treated you? How about the cost of consumables?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

detroitbabu

Post by detroitbabu » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Civic Type R. It is a FWD though.

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/civic/2019/type-r/

samta09

Post by samta09 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:18 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 pm
Afty wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 pm
I drive a fun sedan. Previously an Infiniti G35 (RWD with manual transmission), and now a Tesla Model 3 (LR AWD). My wife drives the SUV.

Any reason you need 2 SUVs? I can see needing one for the cargo space on trips, but why 2?
We don't really need two SUVs. Although each has some benefits over the other.

How much fun is the Tesla? That could be an option although I do miss driving a stick.
I consider the Tesla is the new Ultimate Driving Machine without all of the hassle of maintenances. It’s still practical in many ways. Test drive it and see for yourself.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:10 am

I think you hit it with the 3 series. There are F31s (latest gen, wagon) in RWD manual configs. If you refer to space when you say SUVs are practical, this might fit the bill.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:16 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:51 pm
Which Lotus are you in. Do you track it? If so how has wear and tear been? how has the reliability treated you? How about the cost of consumables?
It's now sold (for more than I paid for it), but it was a 2007 Lotus Elise. The forum LotusTalk is excellent with pointers as to what needs to be changed and what problems can come up. They're all cheap with some sweat equity to work on the car. I've had no issues with reliability whatsoever. It goes through rear tires in relatively low miles. These use a Toyota 2ZZ engine and transmission (Celica GTS) which is very reliable and cheap. Honda K series swaps are a big go to. Although the engine is a "silly little" 1.8L 4 cyl, because the aluminum and composite body and chassis keep the car very light (under 2000 pounds), acceleration is faster than a Subaru STi.

I did not track the car as it was an unmolested, low mile car. Upgrades before I purchased included most of the upgrades pointed out from LotusTalk plus heated seats and a perfect leather color matched center console (custom purchased from Lotus). I have a track history, so know what can happen to cars on the track.

From memory, things to fix included replacing the stupid, plastic Toyota thermostat with an all metal one, preventatively replacing the radiator with an all aluminum unit (end cap deterioration like Subaru and BMW sees), oil line recall done by dealer, strap the oil lines together (zip ties). What could have been done was a diode add on the AC relay coil (reverse emf creates a negative voltage on the ecu and shuts the engine down for 100 ms or so) and diverter for coolant around the heater box for summer time use (or the hot heater box warms air a bit after the AC cools it).

The aftermarket for this car is amazing. There are only about 5000 cars in the US (including Exige), yet there are at least 5 supercharger kits available. Parts are cheap mostly and things like brakes don't wear out because the car is so light. The front brake calipers are Subaru STi rear calipers, for example.

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Afty wrote:
I drive a fun sedan. Previously an Infiniti G35 (RWD with manual transmission), and now a Tesla Model 3 (LR AWD). My wife drives the SUV.

Any reason you need 2 SUVs? I can see needing one for the cargo space on trips, but why 2?

How much fun is the Tesla? That could be an option although I do miss driving a stick.
It's a lot of fun. I have the AWD non-Performance model, and it's quite fast -- 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter mile in the high 12s. In real world driving it's hilariously quick -- literally, you hit the accelerator and you involuntarily giggle because it's so ridiculous. Handling is great too, because the battery pack is mounted so low and in the center of the car, there's very little body roll and the car feels eager to turn in. Steering is a weak spot, not a lot of feel, but I guess that's typical for electric power steering these days.

One thing I especially like is that you can drive the car pretty hard without making a big show of it. The car is silent no matter how hard you accelerate. I was always hesitant to accelerate hard in 1st gear in my manual cars because you'd have to rev it out to 7000 rpm and the engine would be screaming and you'd draw all kinds of unwanted attention.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:02 pm

Afty wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 pm
ThankYouJack wrote:
Afty wrote:

It's a lot of fun. I have the AWD non-Performance model, and it's quite fast -- 0-60 in 4.5s and quarter mile in the high 12s. In real world driving it's hilariously quick -- literally, you hit the accelerator and you involuntarily giggle because it's so ridiculous. Handling is great too, because the battery pack is mounted so low and in the center of the car, there's very little body roll and the car feels eager to turn in. Steering is a weak spot, not a lot of feel, but I guess that's typical for electric power steering these days.

One thing I especially like is that you can drive the car pretty hard without making a big show of it. The car is silent no matter how hard you accelerate. I was always hesitant to accelerate hard in 1st gear in my manual cars because you'd have to rev it out to 7000 rpm and the engine would be screaming and you'd draw all kinds of unwanted attention.
Thanks for the feedback. People seem to love them. I see them all the time now. I think it'll be my next car, but will probably wait a year or two so I have my current car for 5+ years.

JackoC

Post by JackoC » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:06 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 pm
I have a friend who has to always have the latest BMW sports car. Money is not a problem. It is always an M5 or currently a $180k BMW sport car that is pretty small, with scissor doors.

And he drives these in gridlock traffic on a major city freeway. I don't get it. If he drove these cars as they were intended, the highway patrol would be right on him.

I think the only time he ever was able to put the BMW through its paces is when he bought an M5 in Stuttgart at the factory and drove the autobahn and the Alps before shipping it home. After that it was freeway commuter car.
The scissor door car is an i8. But I don't know of options to push it past around $150k list, maybe the convertible list plus tax? Anyway that's a hybrid with only 369hp total system hp (IOW only a few more than my $60k M2 and the i8 is only slightly lighter). It looks more super car than it is. I don't really get that car, and I like BMW's. The new M5 is 600hp. I get that car for what it is, but you're right there, $130k (or something like that) is in part for a lot of performance it's hard to legally use, and a 4370# 117" wheelbase car is never going to feel quite like a 3450# 106" car (M2) when you throw it around on a track either. My M2 also has performance I can't use in congested traffic, every car does depending how congested. However the M2 has sublime cornering ability (which is where it comes closest to far more expensive cars, not in straight line, though it's certainly not slow) I can enjoy legally on windy public roads. And it makes hilarious sounds with the exhaust fully open. But I even like sitting in that car when it's standing still.

Tesla fans will be Tesla fans, I don't argue with them. A lot of their take is a matter of preference, though saying you 'don't have to deal with maintenance' on a so far unreliable and difficult to get repaired brand is stretching reality a bit. OK let's agree that *should* be true, and maybe it will be when/if Tesla fully becomes a real car company. The product still wouldn't be for me though. Fortunately everyone can buy what they like. :happy

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 pm

JackoC wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:06 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
I have a friend who has to always have the latest BMW sports car. Money is not a problem. It is always an M5 or currently a $180k BMW sport car that is pretty small, with scissor doors.

And he drives these in gridlock traffic on a major city freeway. I don't get it. If he drove these cars as they were intended, the highway patrol would be right on him.

I think the only time he ever was able to put the BMW through its paces is when he bought an M5 in Stuttgart at the factory and drove the autobahn and the Alps before shipping it home. After that it was freeway commuter car.
The scissor door car is an i8. But I don't know of options to push it past around $150k list, maybe the convertible list plus tax? Anyway that's a hybrid with only 369hp total system hp (IOW only a few more than my $60k M2 and the i8 is only slightly lighter). It looks more super car than it is. I don't really get that car, and I like BMW's. The new M5 is 600hp. I get that car for what it is, but you're right there, $130k (or something like that) is in part for a lot of performance it's hard to legally use, and a 4370# 117" wheelbase car is never going to feel quite like a 3450# 106" car (M2) when you throw it around on a track either. My M2 also has performance I can't use in congested traffic, every car does depending how congested. However the M2 has sublime cornering ability (which is where it comes closest to far more expensive cars, not in straight line, though it's certainly not slow) I can enjoy legally on windy public roads. And it makes hilarious sounds with the exhaust fully open. But I even like sitting in that car when it's standing still.

Tesla fans will be Tesla fans, I don't argue with them. A lot of their take is a matter of preference, though saying you 'don't have to deal with maintenance' on a so far unreliable and difficult to get repaired brand is stretching reality a bit. OK let's agree that *should* be true, and maybe it will be when/if Tesla fully becomes a real car company. The product still wouldn't be for me though. Fortunately everyone can buy what they like. :happy
I'm totally with you, I simply do not understand the i8. Neighbor's parent's have one, my 3yr old son thinks it looks cool; I think it's hideous and its performance certainly doesn't match the pricetag.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:34 pm
I had a Miata for a while, but now with a couple young kids we own two SUVs. I miss driving a fun car - stick shift, RWD, responsive handling, small, somewhat quick, 50/50 balance, etc. Would like to get another Miata but not sure I'd drive it enough since I wouldn't want to put my kids in it and my storage space for a third car is a bit limited. I've thought about swapping an SUV for something like a used BMW 3 series but the SUVs are quite practical for us.

So will probably just hang onto the SUVs. Curious though to hear from others on here who have been in a similar situation. What did you wind up doing?
None of the other cars will compare to a Miata — lightweight. BMWs are heavy and the newer are not even fun to drive. Replace one of the SUVs with a Macan, learn to paddle shift and have fun with your family in the car. Total cost will be less than owning/registering/insuring a third car.

FWIW, I had 3 3 series cars since 2002, and only last year bought a 2019 RDX. Because of health seat comfort was my biggest priority this time around. I might consider a Macan if my health improves to allow me to take long trips without messing my back.

broncocountry25

Post by broncocountry25 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

What rules do you all use for cars?

Percentage of income? Percentage of net worth?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm

broncocountry25 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

Safety and reliability and meets my needs for transportation from A to B as well as carrying "stuff." In my case, I sometimes go off paved roads on surfaces where 4WD might be needed to get back to pavement so I have 4WD option.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:06 pm

broncocountry25 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I had put together some thoughts on this here:
http://anoopsplace.blogspot.com/2013/01 ... g-car.html

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:33 pm

I know the urge.... was a British sports car guy back in my college daze. The high point of which was a new 1967 Austin Cooper 1275 S with mostly competition (beyond factory options) everything on it. It was the original Mini or Super Shoe-box as it may be. With Firestone Indy dry track racing tires it was the definition of uncatchable on a twisty autocross or people free back-roads as in unstarted but paved housing developments.

After that work and career interfered with my motor-head inclinations for many years, then reaching 40, the middle age crazies set in and came two new Porsche Boxsters and back to the autocross circuit for a few years. I bought a Jeep Liberty for the intent of towing a Lotus Super 7 derivative for auto-crossing but that didn't materialize for various reasons and I stopped racing after selling the Porsches.

Fast forward, sort of to my retirement and it was time for the Jeep to go. Ordered a C350 Benz which was an extraordinarily nice old man's daily driver to the grocery store, doctors, mall, movies, couple hour road trips and such but did little to inspire the soul of a motor-head, albeit, an old one. For my 70th (bd) I decided to wait no longer for a lust (bucket) item and ordered a jammed up AMG C63S. Air-conditioning on, seat A/C on, XM playing, quiet inside and the sequential will spin them in 3rd gaining speed so fast it's just unreal. One day I will have to take it to an autocross for some limit exploration as that simply can't be done on the street. FWIW, I drive my fun car every time I'm out and when I get past half throttle wifey used to yell turbo, turbo..

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 am

Thinking about legal speed limits and reality, if I had the inclination and money, I might even consider a Morgan! Lot's of old British style and sports feel.
It is certainly not a teutonic performer, but it would be fun to just sit in the garage and smell the leather!

Appartently Morgan sales are better than ever. I think one of the models is basically the original with some updates (I don't know if it still has the wooden frame), and then there is a more modern version. I saw a brand new older version last summer, the bleach blonde mid-50's lady driver was enjoying all the attention, she got a lot of compliments and waves (for the car, I believe, but she was ok also).

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:45 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:

Clearly you don’t get it. The “scissor door” BMW is the i8. It’s a plug in hybrid built entirely of carbon fiber and is more fuel efficient than a Prius while having performance on par with an M3. It’s definitely not a bad car for gridlock, especially since you can enjoy it when traffic clears up.

Price wise, it’s closer to 150k...no way to get it up past $170k fully loaded.

It’s not my thing, but I can certainly understand a car like that in a highly congested are if you spend a lot of time in traffic but also enjoy driving in the canyons occasionally and can only have 1 car

soitgoes2

Post by soitgoes2 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:48 am

Mazda 3 hatachback
Fiat 500 Abarth
Audi wagon

All may give you some the the SUV function with the hatchback and a better driving experience. Space is less of an issue if you also have a larger car for when that is necessary.

dayzero

Post by dayzero » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:51 am

Your post is exactly why they make sports-SUVs now - for Dads that miss the good old days. Get an Audi SQ5 or a Porsche Macan and all your problems will be solved.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:03 am

Add a highly depreciated fun car like a Porsche 964 C2 manual. The whole sporty SUV thing is a joke (owned a Macan S and Macan Turbo as an example) vs a real sports car.

You will just need to pay maintenance and insurance if you buy the right car.

Steady59

Post by Steady59 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:14 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:32 am
kjvmartin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:27 pm
What do you do when a couple of their friends or cousins want to come along to the beach?
OP....can you simply have a 3rd car that's impractical and fun? It's what I did. 11 years with a Factory Five Shelby Cobra replica and 4 years with a Lotus Elise. If you choose wisely, you'll be able to sell the car for what you paid for it. I did both times.
I got a '75 BMW 2002 a couple of years ago. Huge fun factor.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

Life is all about compromises. Have learned many times that if you wait for everything to be "right" many times that day never comes. While we have no kids, we do have 4 cars, two daily drivers and two fun cars. Single car garage for one fun car, driver car in the driveway, second fun collector car in the street in front of the house and the most used car (only car WITHOUT a cover) also in the street blocking the driveway. Far from ideal but all we have to work with having a 40' wide lot. Having understanding neighbors is a plus......................

Afty

Post by Afty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 am

I'm curious about the people who have an extra fun car and kids -- when do you have time to drive it?? Weekdays I'm commuting to work and dropping one kid at daycare, weekends I'm ferrying the kids around to activities and buying groceries/other random errands. Unless the fun car can seat 2 kids I don't see when I would ever drive the thing. Maybe this will get better when my kids are older?

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:52 am

BMW 3-series has been the right balance of practicality and sport for me for the past 20 years. Originally an E46, currently an E90. I considered replacing the E90 a few months ago (decided against it), and oddly enough the front-runner was the Accord 2.0T Sport with the 6-speed manual. The now-outgoing F30 generation 3-series drives more like a Camry than a BMW anyway, so I figured why not? Golf GTI and Veloster N were also high on the list.

If I didn't need the space, M2 Competition Coupe would be up near the top. I don't fit in the Miata, so unfortunately not an option for me.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:02 pm

Used to own a Corvette in my stupid days. My next fun car will be a 2 door of some kind after the kids are gone. But that's another 12 years at least. I'm sure the list will change by then...

S2000
Miata with Corvette engine
Factory Five Cobra replica
Lotus Elise SC

ncbill

Post by ncbill » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:08 pm

Rent or lease.

The Fiat 124 "Fiamata" was leasing well last year, IIRC...don't know if it's still a deal now, though.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm

Afty wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:33 am
I'm curious about the people who have an extra fun car and kids -- when do you have time to drive it?? Weekdays I'm commuting to work and dropping one kid at daycare, weekends I'm ferrying the kids around to activities and buying groceries/other random errands. Unless the fun car can seat 2 kids I don't see when I would ever drive the thing. Maybe this will get better when my kids are older?
When I had my Factory Five Cobra (google it), I worked from home and dropped off the kids and picked them up at school (only one at a time), for soccer games, for t-ball games. I have a picture in my home office taken of me and my son in the car right after I had painted it in the t-ball field parking lot. I'd also bring him to car shows and other car show guys would wonder what's going on if they didn't see the booster seat in the Cobra. We went to the Factory Five open house several times (an hour away), drove to family friends' houses, went out for ice cream. When my Audi S4 self destructed and was in the shop for a month and my old Jeep fried its wiring harness, I drove the Cobra to work every day and left it in the parking garage.

Later, when I went to the Lotus, the kids were older. I'd take them to friends' and we'd go to events like the races at Lime Rock or to other car shows or to cool events like a tour of Boston starting at 4 in the morning with professional photographers chronicling the event.

Yes, we'd keep things even between our 2 sons once the younger one was old enough, but we've been able to do that pretty easily. Either of them would much rather show up anywhere in a cool, bright red Cobra than a 5 year old, gray mini-van. No, really, I know some of you won't understand that. That's ok, just trust me.

*edit: I just found a picture from "Wicked Big Meet". The biggest Subaru meet in the world in its second year in Massachusetts. I believe this was in 2003 and that's my older son, whose 22 now.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Afty wrote:
There were always opportunities for my wife and I to drive the cars - sometimes one of us would drive the 2 seater to the event and meet up with us and the other would drive it home. Groceries were no problem as well - except for the additional time it would take to get there and back with the huge detour along the way.

smitcat

Post by smitcat » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:13 pm
Afty wrote:
When I had my Factory Five Cobra (google it), I worked from home and dropped off the kids and picked them up at school (only one at a time), for soccer games, for t-ball games. I have a picture in my home office taken of me and my son in the car right after I had painted it in the t-ball field parking lot. I'd also bring him to car shows and other car show guys would wonder what's going on if they didn't see the booster seat in the Cobra. We went to the Factory Five open house several times (an hour away), drove to family friends' houses, went out for ice cream. When my Audi S4 self destructed and was in the shop for a month and my old Jeep fried its wiring harness, I drove the Cobra to work every day and left it in the parking garage.

Later, when I went to the Lotus, the kids were older. I'd take them to friends' and we'd go to events like the races at Lime Rock or to other car shows or to cool events like a tour of Boston starting at 4 in the morning with professional photographers chronicling the event.

Yes, we'd keep things even between our 2 sons once the younger one was old enough, but we've been able to do that pretty easily. Either of them would much rather show up anywhere in a cool, bright red Cobra than a 5 year old, gray mini-van. No, really, I know some of you won't understand that. That's ok, just trust me.

*edit: I just found a picture from "Wicked Big Meet". The biggest Subaru meet in the world in its second year in Massachusetts. I believe this was in 2003 and that's my older son, whose 22 now.

Great car - how did you get it registered without wipers?

NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Well, do you want a fun daily that is large enough to be practical? Or are you considering just a separate toy that can be impractical?

If it's just a toy for the weekend, the sky is pretty much the limit (or, moreso the pocketbook but you get the picture). A Miata, particularly used is fairly economical and would scratch the itch.

If the storage is really a concern, then what about a sports sedan in lieu of a *cringe* sports CUV/SUV? The benefit of everyone buying a CUV now is sedans can be had for some pretty good deals. A mid or larger size sedan can still have sufficient room for a pair of kids and their belonging 95% of the time, and then use the family truckster for those other times such as a long haul vacation. You can still find recent vintage sedans that are reasonably fun with a manual transmission, although you have to look. Accord Sport comes to mind. Buck Regal GS up through '14 I believe had an available stick with 270hp. Mazda 6. Subaru Legacy GT. For RWD it's a bit tougher; a 3-series, possibly a 5-series (forgot when they gave up the stick). I have a Chevy SS Sedan, which was sold from '15-'17 with a stick, 415hp and about as close to a poor man's M5 as there is, also with a huge trunk and room for 3 kids comfortably in the back. But they do tend to hold value very well and the stick cars in good shape are still pulling $35-40K.

If an auto is acceptable, more options open up. Something like a Lexus GS, an E-Class, CTS - the Vsport (not the V) is a nice 420hp package with terrible depreciation so great used deals out there. Or maybe a little more boy racerish thing like an SRT or Scat Pack Charger. Pontiac G8 GT.

My opinion, life's short and if you truly enjoy having a fun car, go for it. No reason you have to have a CUV/SUV over a proper sports sedan, particularly if there's already one in the household already.

Disclosure: A fellow driving enthusiast, I drive the SS Sedan as a daily, a Trans Am as a fair weather toy, and we have the wife's Traverse to haul the kids and for my use in the snow and ice.
Last edited by NHRATA01 on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GT99

Post by GT99 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm

GmanJeff wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:26 pm

In your place I'd consider a MB AMG GLC 63 or Porsche Macan, or perhaps the upcoming BMW X3M or M3.
Are you defining sporty based on just looks and acceleration?? Because Model 3 is right in the ballpark with all the benchmark sport sedans when it comes to handling. There is plenty of room for criticism of Tesla, but performance is not one of them.

GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm

GT99 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm
GmanJeff wrote:

Are you defining sporty based on just looks and acceleration?? Because Model 3 is right in the ballpark with all the benchmark sport sedans when it comes to handling. There is plenty of room for criticism of Tesla, but performance is not one of them.
I have not driven a Model 3, but tried out a Model S with Ludicrous Mode. Ferocious acceleration, beautiful styling, and impressive technology but the handling, steering and suspension feel, and seating of a family sedan, nothing like a BMW M or MB AMG vehicle (I had recently done some extensive driving of several different BMW M sedans and coupes so had a basis for the comparison).
Last edited by GmanJeff on Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Afty

Post by Afty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:04 pm

GmanJeff wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:57 pm
GT99 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:39 pm
GmanJeff wrote:

I have not driven a Model 3, but tried out a Model S with Ludicrous Mode. Ferocious acceleration, beautiful styling, and impressive technology but the handling, steering and suspension feel, and seating of a family sedan, nothing like a BMW M or MB AMG vehicle (I had recently done some extensive driving of several different BMW M sedans and coupes so had a basis for the comparison).
The Model 3 is a different beast. Here's Motor Trend comparing the Performance model to an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/alfa-ro ... eo-giulia/

Hikes_With_Dogs

Post by Hikes_With_Dogs » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 pm

How about a Subaru WRX? Speedy, stick shift, and will fit the kids in back.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:54 pm

I learned to drive a 2005 Honda Pilot. It's fun when the heated seats don't blow a fuse and I actually get heated seats.

westie

Post by westie » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:15 pm

Look at a Honda S2000. More fun than a Miata. You can find nice ones still around. I bought a new one in 2007, weekend top down car, and sold it 9 years later for 4K less than I paid for it.

robertbm

Post by robertbm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:52 pm

I would test drive a Subaru Forester XT. 2018 was the last model year for the turbocharged XT. I have one and love it. Really fun to drive. No sports car but for an SUV it’s awesome. Like night and day compared to the regular engine.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:11 pm

Once the kids were old enough that we didn have to try to stuff a bunch of car seats in the back, I got a Mazdaspeed 3. The kids fit in the backseat just fine. Wife still had a minivan, so we had something bigger for camping and stuff.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 pm

waaaaaaaaaaa....... j/k :)

Soon you’ll realize a researched toyo or Honda wagon is sufficeint. :oops:
There-are hard to find, I should approach ‘em ( TOYO/ HONDA) w/that marketing :mrgreen:
Last edited by aspirit on Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:29 pm

You'll catch me riding a bicycle before driving a crossover.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:21 am

I always drive convertibles. Happily I lie in Japan where my company can buy my car for me. But for my U.S. car I have a BMW series 1 convertible stick shift, totally fun to drive and the cheapest BMW you can buy.

I also loved Miatas. The fun to cost radio is awesome, and I've owned four of them over the years. If I were in retirement and didn't have another fun car, I'd find an excuse to get a used one for weekends.

nolimits

Post by nolimits » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:45 pm

To the original poster what did you end up doing? I am in the same boat.

Cubicle

Post by Cubicle » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:43 pm

Get a cheap enough "fun" car that the insurance costs & purchase price make it "doable" to keep it as a 3rd car.
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:52 am

We always got by with one family van or SUV, which allowed me to have a sporty car for myself. My job required some travel around our rural New England region and I enjoyed my V6 Fiero, my Honda S2000, and my BMW 135i. I bought the 135i the year I retired at 60 and kept it until I turned 70. My wife never liked it because it because it was not as high up and spacious was her SUVs. Now I have a BMW X2 M Sport AWD and she loves it - so do I.

Laker1

Post by Laker1 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:16 am

VW GTI stick should fill the void...I had one with a VR6 in it back in the day and it was a fun car to drive, practical in that it had a back seat and was pretty quick...

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:12 am

Hikes_With_Dogs wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:44 pm
How about a Subaru WRX? Speedy, stick shift, and will fit the kids in back.
That's what I did although I went with the STI model. Fits two kids (one rear facing car seat, one front facing), two adults, plus gear for an overnight trip but still does great on track or autocross (though it's not particularly competitive at autocross in stock form due to classing). Rear seats fold down, which gives it quite a bit of cargo room. It actually feels more spacious than compact CUVs like the Porsche Macan or Audi Q3. The upcoming FA24 powered STI should be even better.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am

Don't want a sports car but would like to get something fairly soon more fun than a Subaru Forester. Am now waiting for the first Genesis SUV to come out. Have been around for awhile in other countries and coming here later in the year.

Tim

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 am

Bogleheads can be hilarious when it comes to "fun cars". Forester and Genesis SUV (or any SUV) and "fun" don't go together. They just don't. But being Bogleheads, we all know that the ultimate anything car is a 5 year old beige Camry.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:01 am

OP,

My neighbor has a Tesla Model 3 that costs around 48K. It looks like a fun car for me.

KlangFool