Twitter [Is mobile number needed to register?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Offshore

Twitter [Is mobile number needed to register?]

Post by Offshore »

I don’t do social media, but today I had a moment of weakness.

I began signing up for a Twitter account but didn’t complete it.

They wanted a mobile phone number to send me a code to complete enrollment. I drew the line here. Too many unwanted calls now. Is this step an absolute necessity to get a Twitter acct.?
PhysicistBlake

Re: Twitter

Post by PhysicistBlake »

Don't get twitter. It is a mess. You can see what people post without an account with a quick google search if there is someone you really want to follow. I left twitter a couple years ago and am a much happier person.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you sign up with your mobile number, yes it is required to verify.

You can sign up with Google or email. Those also require verifying who you are and that your account is you.

Twitter can be the least intrusive of the social media. You pick only what you want to follow. This has limits.

It tends to "blossom" as you get the tweets and retweets for those that follow similar things. I am on a long stretch of "deactiviation" of Twitter. I don't use any of the other platforms either. Good luck!

You can always try and deactivate once your screen time hits 3 hours per day. :wink:
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne »

I've had a Twitter account since Sept. 2018 and never received a call from them. Robo calls haven't increased either.

I resisted using Twitter for a long time but now I like it. You can customize it to suit your interests or needs by following whomever you want to. It's a good way to get breaking news and up to the minute weather & road conditions. Plus, you can add your comment or opinion to everything if you're so inclined.

Caution: It can become addictive.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Offshore wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 am I don’t do social media, but today I had a moment of weakness.

I began signing up for a Twitter account but didn’t complete it.

They wanted a mobile phone number to send me a code to complete enrollment. I drew the line here. Too many unwanted calls now. Is this step an absolute necessity to get a Twitter acct.?
You are a clueless person.
Did that make you mad? If you are on twitter, multiply that 100 times. :D

(I am sorry for calling you clueless, I was just trying to make a point!)
Topic Author
Offshore

Post by Offshore »

I’m convinced. No Twitter account. Guess I’ll remain clueless, TheOscarGuy.
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

Twitter is a cesspool. Worse, it's now a curated, manipulated, censored cesspool. Meaning, 5+ years ago, it was a raw blast of data. Now its pushed through algorithms to censor, filter, block, sanitize, boost, and de-boost, all supposedly to better tailor it to the individual and to keep everyone safe. (I much prefer the old days)

But if you're not on Twitter, there are things you will not read about, or hear about for weeks, sometimes months, after the fact through the "normal" media/news/entertainment sources. So, if it tickles you to be aware of things significantly earlier than your peers, or to read firsthand from politicians, celebrities, media types, entrepreneurs, scientists, and ordinary people, its the must-have app.

Like with many things in life, there are very strong reasons to be on Twitter, and equally very strong reasons to never so much as dip your toe in. Personally, I waste a few hours a day on Twitter, "consuming".
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

DH is on Twitter.

Me?
I'm on Bogleheads.

It evens out.

:shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Offshore wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:29 pm I’m convinced. No Twitter account. Guess I’ll remain clueless, TheOscarGuy.
:sharebeer
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

I do not believe I ever got a robocall sourced from Twitter. If you follow something you are interested in with Twitter it can be useful.
I follow Philosophers, a few scientists, some astrophysics authors, economists, and financial people. Their followers generally do not engage in trolling and cesspool comments. I get a lot of value out of my twitter feed.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Blueskies123 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:13 pm I do not believe I ever got a robocall sourced from Twitter. If you follow something you are interested in with Twitter it can be useful.
I follow Philosophers, a few scientists, some astrophysics authors, economists, and financial people. Their followers generally do not engage in trolling and cesspool comments. I get a lot of value out of my twitter feed.
This is what DH mostly does, along with a few close friends.
Ditto on Facebook (gasp! I refuse that, too), but I think he can make that private (?).

Anyway, he gets the most *amazing* photos/videos of landscapes, wild animals that are beyond beautiful and/or doing amazing/weird things, and general "around the world" experiences.
It's fascinating.
We frequently comment that without this technology, we'd never have even a clue that these things were happening.

So it's not all bad. The problem is filtering (and of course, the nasty uses, which in my opinion, now overwhelm the good). It's a shame.

RM
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I really like the "trending topics" feature on Twitter. If they ever remove that, my usage would drop quite a bit.
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

I'm not sure Twitter is really any worse than other social media or the internet in general. Like Facebook, Instagram, and myriad websites/blogs/fora, it can be an echo-chamber for reinforcing one's biases and home to horrible, anonymous trolls. The Bogleheads.org forum is a rare and shining example of what the internet can be. But look at how much time and effort goes into carefully and painstakingly moderating the posts in order to maintain civility. It's always a breath of fresh air to spend time here.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Bmac wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:23 pm I'm not sure Twitter is really any worse than other social media or the internet in general. Like Facebook, Instagram, and myriad websites/blogs/fora, it can be an echo-chamber for reinforcing one's biases and home to horrible, anonymous trolls. The Bogleheads.org forum is a rare and shining example of what the internet can be. But look at how much time and effort goes into carefully and painstakingly moderating the posts in order to maintain civility. It's always a breath of fresh air to spend time here.
I absolutely agree. BH is both an incredible source of information/advice, and a generally pleasant place to sort of "hang out", in terms of browsing "other topics". And even better, one can learn surprising things!

But unfortunately, this view about BH is not unanimous.
Have you seen some of the comments about BH on Morningstar's discussion, trashing some of the moderation here?
[This is on the Morningstar sub-topic that later split off and morphed into this Bogleheads.org forum circa 2007 (?). I'm not familiar with all of the reasons.]

Morningstar allows some pretty vicious commentary/name-calling before they delete it (if they do at all).
It can make it very annoying, to the point of my rarely going there except to try to follow a few key topics.

RM
Hamberders

Post by Hamberders »

I have a Twitter account, but I have zero posts. It's nice to have access to the Twitter for iPhone app, which, I believe, requires an account. The app provides a nice interface for viewing tweets, searching for tweets and accounts, and viewing other users' comments under tweets. And when you're reading an article in Safari and click on an embedded tweet that's quoted in the article, Twitter for iPhone will automatically open up and allow you to investigate the topic further.
fposte

Post by fposte »

You can read people's Twitter posts without having a Twitter account. I haven't logged into mine in years; I just let autocomplete take me to the URLs of the people I like to read.
penguindance49

Post by penguindance49 »

I deleted my twitter account. It's amazing how even people you admire can just become shitty on Twitter. And forget about the comments/retweets. I do agree a lot of other social media can be just as bad when it comes to the generic comment section, but it feels more forced on you with Twitter. The *only* account I miss is WeRateDogs, because that was 100% wholesome. I'll still their feed form time to time, but having my account deleted and the app off my phone made me feel so much better.
panine

Post by panine »

asking for a mobile phone number to send a verification code is becoming pretty commonplace. financial entities do it all the time for security. i don't use my real name as a twitter handle, so they don't have both my phone number and real name.

twitter is how i get my news. i only follow newspapers/tv networks that i feel are worthy/trustworthy. they tweet out links to stories/videos and if i'm interested in delving into that story/video, i do so. if not, i disregard that tweet. you can choose who you get tweet notifications from, so if you only want to think about twitter when you decide to go there, you can. if you choose to participate in conversations, that's up to you, too. all in all, it works for people who like to get a brief synopsis of news (by tweets), then choose if they want to follow up and/or engage.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

fposte wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:37 pmYou can read people's Twitter posts without having a Twitter account.
+9999

Just read what you need, and avoid the rest.
muddlehead

Post by muddlehead »

You might find this helpful. The only social media site I look at and will ever look at is Twitter. Gave 'em my email. No worries.
Last edited by muddlehead on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sourc3

Post by Sourc3 »

Twitter experience is driven by who you follow. Personally I find having multiple accounts that follow certain interests/people works very well.