Moving from NYC to Miami

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
financeguy88

Moving from NYC to Miami

Post by financeguy88 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 pm

I have the option over the next 6 to 9 months of moving from NYC to Miami (probably South Beach) because my company has an office in both places.

My wife and I are early 30's, we're expecting our first child later this year and we're happy in New York overall, but there are some things I don't love about the idea of raising a family here.

I'm a high income earner and we have assets, so obviously the lower taxes is nice and I'd be lying if I said that wasn't a consideration, but separate from that I think we are both open to the adventure of trying out a new place / living on the beach. The idea would be we'd try it out for a year or two and have the option of moving back or going someplace else if we didn't like it.

I've spent time in South Beach so I know a bit about it in terms of pros and cons but not so much about how I'd feel about moving there and don't know anyone in my situation that moved there.

Has anyone made this move / offer any advice on things to consider?

senex

Re: Moving from NYC to Miami

Post by senex » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 pm

When I consider a big change I make lists of guaranteed upsides, guaranteed downsides, potential upsides, and potential downsides.

I also ask what elements are reversible.

After putting all that on paper, I find the decision to be clearer.

Of people I know who have left nyc, few have moved back. Most ended up liking not-nyc better than nyc.

ohai

Post by ohai » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 pm

Normally, you'd stay in NYC for better career opportunities. If that is not the case, then there is not much reason to stay around.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:15 am

senex wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:26 pm
When I consider a big change I make lists of guaranteed upsides, guaranteed downsides, potential upsides, and potential downsides.

I also ask what elements are reversible.

After putting all that on paper, I find the decision to be clearer.

Of people I know who have left nyc, few have moved back. Most ended up liking not-nyc better than nyc.
This makes sense from a starting perspective.

One thing you will NOT be able to match is the cultural/vibrancy of NYC.
We miss that most of the time (!), and we've never lived there full time. (Well, okay, I did, for a summer after college, but I was mostly clueless back then about all the NYC really offered, alas. And I didn't have much money, anyway.)

Because you are high income, presumably you'd be able to go back for weekends (or somewhat longer?) if you missed things like (choose your own favorites: Opera, musicals, museums - esp for the children, theater, or just "being there", and, well, shopping...).

It's not a quick shuttle type flight, as from Boston or D.C., but it's not as much of a hassle as heading to London :wink:

Think carefully about what you think you would most miss. Are there reasonable substitutes in/near Miami? Are those things/activities really so important (they might be, or not)? And can you satisfy yourselves with a few trips back there each year (and will you both have the time for that)?

Moving is a royal pain (in my mind, anyway), but if it is possible work-wise, then before your child/children are too old, you'll have that flexibility for a few years. Once they have "real friends", moving them (your child/children, not the friends!) becomes a much bigger concern.

It sounds like a nice choice to have, albeit a difficult decision.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:28 am

Presumably you are living an urban lifestyle and not sure if you plan or want to live that in South Beach as well. Also 'South Beach' is more or less a tourist moniker and that zone wouldn't be the most pleasant place in which to reside IMO. It's the epicenter of what people love or loathe about the glitzy image of Miami....extremely congested, and keep in mind there is no public transit infrastructure in South Florida to speak of so you will need to figure out how to get around, park etc in an area that is jammed 365 days/year. You'll also have to drive to get over the causeways to Miami for anything you have to do there including going to the airport, government offices, most business and tech operations etc. Traffic is going to get exponentially worse going to/from the mainland in the next few years due to a spate of highway and bridge projects too. Street flooding is getting worse fast although MB has been in the forefront of street raising and drainage projects to try to address that. Still on king tide days or heavy rain days or the occasional tropical storm/hurricane days expect to get your feet wet. Actually on hurricane days you may not because Miami Beach is in an evacuation zone so you'll have to leave anyway.

Add to that it's the mecca of badly behaving tourists. In addition to all the normal huge influx of visitors each year, the Beach hosts many special events during tourist season starting with Art Basel in December and running through the end of May with Urban Beach Week. This spring break MB residents are in an uproar about shenanigans including several street fights and a poor young woman who at the end of her vacation was hanging herself half out of a car on the expressway to yell 'I love Miami!' on the way to the airport when she fell out and was run over(!). The driver who killed her never stopped-that's life in the 305.

If you are coming from NYC, you might want to consider the Brickell/Midtown area. It's transformed into quite the city center over the past decade and you can also get a place with a glorious water view. If you want to go to the beach you are minutes away from Key Biscayne which has some of the nicest ones in this area. What public transit there is, is here with Metrorail and Metro Mover so you can live a reasonable facsimile of an urban NYC lifestyle in this part of town.

As always everyone has his/her own set of priorities. For a lot of us SoFla residents, the choking traffic and nuttiness of a lot of the folks living or visiting Miami/South Beach are a negative--there's a reason for the plethora of Florida Man stories, and people certainly come down here from all over to get blasted and do misundry stupid human tricks.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:44 am

Well, I was born/lived in NY most all of my adult life and generally enjoyed it. Retired and decided to move to gulf coast of FL and love it. Sunny almost every day, laid back, no snow, and the cost of living is much lower--no state income tax, lower property tax/rent. I do miss my family though. I think it might be fun for you to give it a try, you can always go back. Good luck!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Accrual

Post by Accrual » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:24 am

I wouldn't purchase real estate in Miami.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... er-problem

Topic Author
financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:20 am

pennywise wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:28 am
Presumably you are living an urban lifestyle and not sure if you plan or want to live that in South Beach as well. Also 'South Beach' is more or less a tourist moniker and that zone wouldn't be the most pleasant place in which to reside IMO. It's the epicenter of what people love or loathe about the glitzy image of Miami....extremely congested, and keep in mind there is no public transit infrastructure in South Florida to speak of so you will need to figure out how to get around, park etc in an area that is jammed 365 days/year. You'll also have to drive to get over the causeways to Miami for anything you have to do there including going to the airport, government offices, most business and tech operations etc. Traffic is going to get exponentially worse going to/from the mainland in the next few years due to a spate of highway and bridge projects too. Street flooding is getting worse fast although MB has been in the forefront of street raising and drainage projects to try to address that. Still on king tide days or heavy rain days or the occasional tropical storm/hurricane days expect to get your feet wet. Actually on hurricane days you may not because Miami Beach is in an evacuation zone so you'll have to leave anyway.

Add to that it's the mecca of badly behaving tourists. In addition to all the normal huge influx of visitors each year, the Beach hosts many special events during tourist season starting with Art Basel in December and running through the end of May with Urban Beach Week. This spring break MB residents are in an uproar about shenanigans including several street fights and a poor young woman who at the end of her vacation was hanging herself half out of a car on the expressway to yell 'I love Miami!' on the way to the airport when she fell out and was run over(!). The driver who killed her never stopped-that's life in the 305.

If you are coming from NYC, you might want to consider the Brickell/Midtown area. It's transformed into quite the city center over the past decade and you can also get a place with a glorious water view. If you want to go to the beach you are minutes away from Key Biscayne which has some of the nicest ones in this area. What public transit there is, is here with Metrorail and Metro Mover so you can live a reasonable facsimile of an urban NYC lifestyle in this part of town.

As always everyone has his/her own set of priorities. For a lot of us SoFla residents, the choking traffic and nuttiness of a lot of the folks living or visiting Miami/South Beach are a negative--there's a reason for the plethora of Florida Man stories, and people certainly come down here from all over to get blasted and do misundry stupid human tricks.
Good points and perspective, thanks. We were thinking South Beach because my office is there and it would be walkable, which would nice. I was thinking of living south of ~5th which seems a bit less touristy and more residential / less seedy. I don't know how it would be for a young family though. I've know there is the older rich semi-retired crowd and then singles but not sure if there is a young-ish family scene there.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 am

And you'd rent first, right?

Gives you more time to sort through "which neighborhood", etc.
Also could save money IF you decide to move back after a relatively short time.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:01 am

"I've spent time in South Beach so I know a bit about it in terms of pros and cons but not so much about how I'd feel about moving there and don't know anyone in my situation that moved there.

Has anyone made this move / offer any advice on things to consider?"

There is so much more to "the beach" than South Beach. Sunny Isles, North Miami, Mid Beach, Bal Harbour, Bay Harbor Islands .... I could go on. I've lived in Miami for 55 years or so and the last 21+ on "the beach". 7 years in a lovely (mid beach) high rise condo "on the ocean" and 14 now in a condo on the Bay in Bay Harbor Islands within walking distance to one of the best Public Schools in the city, it's own Police Department (read security), almost zero traffic and noise, easy walk to the beach, easy access to almost anywhere and anything including both Miami International and Fort Lauderdale airports and sea ports. For work South Beach is a straight shot down Alton Road which would probably not take no more than 30 minutes even in rush hour by car or bus.

If crowds, bad or no parking and living in a tourist attraction is your "thing", by all means go for South Beach. It might be not that different from living at or near Times Square.

Topic Author
financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:10 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:26 am
And you'd rent first, right?

Gives you more time to sort through "which neighborhood", etc.
Also could save money IF you decide to move back after a relatively short time.

RM
Yes would definitely rent / lease the cars as well until we got our bearings.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 pm

financeguy88 wrote: I have the option over the next 6 to 9 months of moving from NYC to Miami (probably South Beach) because my company has an office in both places.

My wife and I are early 30's, we're expecting our first child later this year and we're happy in New York overall, but there are some things I don't love about the idea of raising a family here.
If your company has an office in South Beach, where do the people who work in that office live?

Have you been to South Beach in the last few years and driven around the residential areas? I wouldn't move there until you do this, along with hooking up with a realtor to show you possible rentals, so you have a "lay of the land."

What will your wife do during the day and who will she hang out with? Where will your young kids go to pre-school?

Do you speak Spanish?

:mrgreen: If you do move to South Beach, please join us in our South Florida Bogleheads Local Chapter meetings, with Taylor at our helm. You'll enjoy the meetings 8-)

xenochrony

Post by xenochrony » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:35 pm

I lived in south beach, mid beach, north beach, and on several little islands in Biscayne Bay. South of 5th sounds crazy from what your looking for. I would highly recommend mid or north beach. You wont be able to walk, but these places are profoundly different from south beach.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Having lived in Miami for about 8 years, although many years ago, taking a break from NYC to South Beach for somebody who is single, or for a young childless couple could be very enjoyable. But I can't see it with children at all. It is very crowded, flooded with tourists, finding parking is difficult, and otherwise kind of a rude "in your face" culture. After several years living in Miami I found the hassle of even driving to South Beach and parking more than I was willing to deal with.

SobeCane

Post by SobeCane » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 pm

I currently live in South of Fifth (Sofi) in Miami Beach. Great neighborhood, great restaraunts, close to the beach but not as chaotic as the flamingo park, Ocean Dr, or West Ave portion of South Beach.

PM me if you have specific questions.

Topic Author
financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 am

SobeCane wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:32 pm
I currently live in South of Fifth (Sofi) in Miami Beach. Great neighborhood, great restaraunts, close to the beach but not as chaotic as the flamingo park, Ocean Dr, or West Ave portion of South Beach.

PM me if you have specific questions.
Thanks for the response, yes that's been my impression from visiting a few times for about a week at a time over the last year, and walking / running around the area. Once you get closer to Ocean Drive it gets chaotic but it seems more residential / less touristy further down. I will PM you later!

Blues

Post by Blues » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:29 am

We moved from NYC to Miami due to my work in federal law enforcement in the late 80's and spent 17 years there.

We lived in an apartment on Key Biscayne and it was a great place to live during that time. We were close to the ocean, (down the block), and it was like living in a small community within the greater Miami area.

Haven't been back recently so I can't tell you the latest, but it is well worth checking out. We never regretted living there. (Well, Hurricane Andrew gave us pause but we lucked out.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

Topic Author
financeguy88

Post by financeguy88 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:33 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:18 pm
financeguy88 wrote: I have the option over the next 6 to 9 months of moving from NYC to Miami (probably South Beach) because my company has an office in both places.

If your company has an office in South Beach, where do the people who work in that office live?

Have you been to South Beach in the last few years and driven around the residential areas? I wouldn't move there until you do this, along with hooking up with a realtor to show you possible rentals, so you have a "lay of the land."

What will your wife do during the day and who will she hang out with? Where will your young kids go to pre-school?

Do you speak Spanish?

:mrgreen: If you do move to South Beach, please join us in our South Florida Bogleheads Local Chapter meetings, with Taylor at our helm. You'll enjoy the meetings 8-)
Good questions,

Right now there are very few people in the office and no one that shares my situation. Young and single or much older.

My wife and I drove all the way up the coast all the way to the Sunny Isles area and back. It seemed like you were left with a choice of living in a high rise condo on the beach across the street from strip malls, or going west and living in a house. It didn't seem like there was a great in-between neighborhood, but admittedly we spent only about half of an afternoon driving around by ourselves and probably overly stereotyping. Also it seemed like the traffic could get really bad to get to and from the office which might get annoying

I speak basic Spanish (studied abroad), wife does not. My wife works currently and could possibly work remotely, or otherwise would find a new job -- she is open to a change right now. We'd prob get a nanny to help w the kid or possibly find a local daycare.

I would think pre-school isn't until much older but it seems like there are some good options but doubt it could be harder to navigate than NYC. Part of the reason I am thinking moving could be good is because the school system in NYC seems like madness. Mostly bad public schools unless you're lucky enough to live in the right district and now get rezoned. And Kids and parents interviewing and pre-school and daycare that seem more competitive and most expensive than many colleges.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:05 pm

financeguy88 wrote: I have the option over the next 6 to 9 months of moving from NYC to Miami (probably South Beach) because my company has an office in both places. . . . Has anyone made this move / offer any advice on things to consider?
This other thread "Relocating to Florida - Need some advice" has some good suggestions, especially livesoft's very helpful repellents and inoculations you should consider when moving to South Florida:
livesoft wrote: Buy some alligator repellent, fire ant repellent, python repellent, brown recluse repellent, rattlesnake repellent, cottonmouth repellent, mosquito repellent, etc. Oh, you mentioned beaches, so add shark repellent, jellyfish repellent, too. Presumably you already have tick repellent coming from CT. Get your shots for Dengue fever, St Louis encephalitis, West Nile virus, Chikungunya virus. Don't forget about malaria and some of those other diseases, too.
:D