When is it time for a new smartphone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
UTgrad

When is it time for a new smartphone?

Post by UTgrad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 pm

So I bought my galaxy s7 on Black Friday back in 2016 and while its still working, I’m starting to deal with issues such as extremely decreased battery life and an annoying pink line going down one side of the phone.

I walked into a Best Buy to get a new one and they would only give me $35 for mine so I walked out. My family says I’m cheap for keeping my phone the way it is, but I just can’t justify giving mine away and paying ~500 for a new one.

Any advice?

CyclingDuo

Re: When is it time for a new smartphone?

Post by CyclingDuo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm

UTgrad wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 pm
So I bought my galaxy s7 on Black Friday back in 2016 and while its still working, I’m starting to deal with issues such as extremely decreased battery life and an annoying pink line going down one side of the phone.

I walked into a Best Buy to get a new one and they would only give me $35 for mine so I walked out. My family says I’m cheap for keeping my phone the way it is, but I just can’t justify giving mine away and paying ~500 for a new one.

Any advice?
Get an iPhone. :D
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:47 pm

UTgrad wrote:

Any advice?
Your family is right if the screen issues and battery life bother you. And no a 3 generation old cellphone isn't worth much.

You might want to buy a second tier phone (one of the 300 buck ones) instead of a 700 flagship one if you are price sensitative.

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:53 pm

If you can live with the pink line, get the battery replaced. iPhones run $29-$49 so can't imagine the galaxy being that much more.

If you can't live with the pink line, I don't think it makes sense to pay for screen replacement.

greg24

Post by greg24 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 pm

Agree with the suggestion to replace the battery.

My iphone is 4.5 years old and works fine. I have replaced the battery.

sambb

Post by sambb » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 pm

iphone xr is the value and its awesome. awesome.

Topic Author
UTgrad

Post by UTgrad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm

I got a quote for that too $65 for a new battery installed but he said the pink line is the LCD and when he changes the battery it's possible he could damage the LCD even more and I didn't want to take that risk.

I would love to hold on to it, but seems like it's on its last leg. Still have a 2011 macbook air and 2013 iMac but never got into apple phones, although I could.

bhtomj

Post by bhtomj » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:31 pm

I am a fan of the Samsung J phones (on Verizon) J3 is $168; J7 $240 is my current phone. No guilt in replacing when needed. I had the J3 for 3 years and was having similar issues, so decided in Sept. to get the larger J7 as I use my phone for everything.

I just dropped the old J3 in the e-waste bin. CostCo had a special package with the J3 when I bought it, like a free case?

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:57 pm

Replaced my Samsung with an Android One Moto x4 for use with Google Fi. I couldn't be happier. $149

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/#android-one-moto-x4

Topic Author
UTgrad

Post by UTgrad » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:06 pm

I'm currently with Mint mobile and paid up until December @ $180/yr so if I switch carriers it'll be until then.

nvambith

Post by nvambith » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 pm

I bought my Samsung Galaxy S5 in Nov 2014, and I am still using it happily. It works just fine for what I do. I did get the battery replaced in 2017. The old battery had a distinct swelling and that made the screen crack a little bit. The new battery cost just $10 on Amazon. The screen crack is not on the top layer, but is in a middle layer, so I am able to still keep using the phone. If you are okay with the phone functionally, I would suggest you just get a new battery. Also look at your phone Settings -> Battery to see what apps are sucking up the battery, in case it is a SW/apps issue, and not a physical battery issue.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:14 pm

Get the battery replaced.

I would say the time to get a new smart phone is whenever you think you can benefit from one despite the high price. Or replace it with a refurbished model when the price delta to having your current phone repaired is minimal.

I'm on an iPhone SE and even back in 2017 it was considered quaint. Just got the battery replaced in December (for $29) and I can see it lasting another year or two.

When the time comes, I'll probably eventually upgrade to an iPhone XR (or the 2020 equivalent) but enjoy not having to shell out hundreds of dollars on an item that will be slightly out of fashion in 12 months. In that instance the $29 outlay generated an immediate return for me.

CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:20 pm

UTgrad wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:13 pm
I got a quote for that too $65 for a new battery installed but he said the pink line is the LCD and when he changes the battery it's possible he could damage the LCD even more and I didn't want to take that risk.

I would love to hold on to it, but seems like it's on its last leg. Still have a 2011 macbook air and 2013 iMac but never got into apple phones, although I could.
An iPhone will last like a mother-in-law's curse. (Appologies to mother-in-laws everywhere -- it is an expression.)

Our apartment manager has had two mid-range Android phones fail in the past year. I gave her an old iPhone (new battery) that I had retired about a year ago, and the thing is going strong. She loves it. It is at least five, maybe six years old.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 pm

Buy a mid-range phone. They have all the important features without the glitz and break-the-bank prices. It also makes it easier to let go of your phone when it's time.

My wife and I got a deal on our Google Fi Moto X4s - two phones for $249 net of service credit - and we're still very happy with them.

These sort of deals come around from time-to-time. We'll probably start watching closely for another one in the next year or so.
Have a plan, stay the course, and simplify, and while you're at it, Ignore the Noise!

JDP

Post by JDP » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:40 pm

Motorola makes good, affordable smart phones. My wife has a Moto G6 and loves it. Got it for $160 around BF last year. You’ll see them go on sale periodically for $200. Lots of reviews online.

Topic Author
UTgrad

Post by UTgrad » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:16 am

I will risk it and try swapping the battery, but if the lcd breaks further I'll probably go either the midrange route or used 1yr old flagship from swappa preferably under 400. I'm hesitant with iPhone since I still use headphone jack (I know we're in 2019)

Momus

Post by Momus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:53 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm
UTgrad wrote:

Any advice?
Get an iPhone. :D
Please don't. It sucks (bad display, less features, bad battery)...

https://youtu.be/k_eWwLCPO0M

You can just replace the battery, and remove bloatware or buy the latest value Android flagship such as oneplus 6T or galaxy S10.

Snapdragon 855 is a massive improvement (close to most laptops processor or beating it) if you want to pay for a new device.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 am

2016 phone isnt that old, I'd consider a phone reset (after backing up) and a new battery...this assumes you aren't using the phone to access sensitive financial accounts via apps, then I personally wouldn't use an old device.

I had a Note 3 for 4-5 years, great phone. But battery started losing charge and items people would send wouldn't display properly etc, so got a cheap Motorola for for $100 until I get a new Note down the road (too pricey now). Seems some new smartphones are exceeding $1000 now....seems to be out of control a bit.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

FederalFIRE

Post by FederalFIRE » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 am

My wife and I are both running on 6s iPhones that we got in October 2015. We both had the battery replaced last year and did a full factory restore at that time to clean up storage space. Other than that they're chugging right along.

The only reason at this point I can see to get a new phone is for the camera. The latest Samsung and Apple phones really do outpace photo quality from my current model, but so far I haven't had a compelling enough reason. A child may change that...

I would personally never buy another phone on contract. Pay up front, take care of the phone, and shop your bill every 6-12 months to switch carriers and you can pay next to nothing for years. You can port your number all over, so there's really no reason not to.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:18 am

UTgrad wrote:
I walked into a Best Buy to get a new one and they would only give me $35 for mine so I walked out.
This is probably reasonable. In order to recoup any value from this phone, they'd have to replace the screen, which probably eats away any value they could pay you for it. If you can't live with the pink line, I'd say it's time to either (a) pay the bucks to get the screen and battery replaced, or (b) chunk it, eat the cost, and just buy a new phone.

I'd opt for (b) myself. Disclaimer: happy iPhone user here. As FederalFIRE notes above, the iPhone 6s is a pretty decent phone (that's what I have), and doesn't break the bank (I bought a 6s over-the-counter at Target for my Consumer Cellular line for $200). Oh, yeah... and it has a headphone jack. :happy
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:09 am

I have an iphone 6s which is over 4 yrs old. It works fine and I do not use all of its functions so why upgrade to something that will have even more functions that I will not use.

However, it sounds like you are at a point where a replacement may be a wise investment. The battery is an easy fix but the screen problem, even if it could be fixed, may not be warranted. How much do you want to invest in something that may not have much longevity. My son uses Samsung and dropped his phone last week. He bought a new replacement Samsung that is at least 2 generations old for $400. IMO and his, paying $1,000+ for the latest and greatest is nuts. But buying an older generation at a lower cost or one of the other models available at a reasonable cost is a sensible approach.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:17 am

I received my last phone from my work in 2012. An iPhone 4s. I used it there for 4 years and they gave it to me when I left. I used that in my new job until this year when our company changed mail systems and my phone was unable to use a high enough version of IOS to use it. The company pays for me to get a "new" phone, so I looked around and found that a 5s would work with IOS12, so I found one physically at a local Best Buy for $100. I went there, had them do the sim card switch, work with Cricket to activate it and fit a new case. Total with tax was under $200, so my work paid the entire bill. I'll upgrade when I absolutely have to. Heck.....if I retire and the phone stops working, I'll go back to my perfectly fine 4s. The cool thing with the 4s is that it has the "pre-battery-throttling" operating system (I never upgrade operating systems), so while my coworkers were all bogged down with Tim Cook's solution to "how do we get these fanbois to buy new iPhones?", my phone was screaming fast by comparison.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:50 am

If you are fine with the performance of the S7, many mid level brand new phones in the $300-$400 range will have slightly better performance.

An entry level $100-200 brand new phone may match the processor, but will likely have less storage and less RAM. So overall less performance and photo/music/video/app storage handling.

So, the question to me is save money and downgrade performance slightly or spend a little more and have similar phone performance. If you are considering a battery swap, the risk to the screen seems to say to me that it is not worth it and you may end up spending more that way unless the repair place guarantees that they'll replace the screen free if they further damage it while replacing the battery. If you can get some type of guarantee, and the pink line isn't bothersome, perhaps the battery swap would be best.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:04 am

It's unfortunate that we're such a disposable society. While certain people need the latest and greatest (a friend of mind buys every iPhone and iPad that comes out), most people don't need the latest and greatest. If batteries were more easily replaced, then the reason to upgrade would be to get the newest operating system, which in many cases would be driven by the inability to be as secure with the older operating system, because the device maker has stopped providing updates.

I had hoped that Android would develop with less than the hundreds(?) of permutations that it has, but that never came to be. Google as a device maker almost a non-entity, and manufacturers are not maximizing their bottom lines by providing updates to older phones.

When we bought are latest phones in December 2015, we bought a Motorola phone that promised a "refresh" within 2 years that was "free" - we paid $100 for this "feature". It specified a factory refurbished phone with a new battery.

We waited until just before the 2 year period ended, and put in for the refresh on both our phones. Of course Motorola's reply was that they had discontinued the phone, and were no longer providing refreshes, so our only option was to take a brand new phone. Sounds great, except that brand new phone was in fact a year plus old from a technology perspective (although still newer than the phone it replaced), lacked wireless charging, and made some accessories we bought obsolete. Those phones are now 16 months old, we'll start considering getting new ones probably end of this year, beginning of next, IF the battery life starts ebbing.

While you can find replacement batteries for many phones, be careful. They are often not made to the same standards as the original, and bad lithium batteries can be very dangerous as we all should know.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 am

Sounds like it's time for a new phone.

I highly recommend Samsung S8 or S8+, they are about $400 BNIB right now and pretty much do the same thing as an S9/S10. (Amazon, buy the unlocked version)

Topic Author
UTgrad

Post by UTgrad » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 am

I feel comfortable spending about $400 and the note 9 is almost there, used of course. I just don't know about the huge screen. I'm sure I could squeeze another year outta mine maybe by then the s10 will be closer to 500. Sounds like many of you have the iPhone 6 I'll look into that one. I just want something that will last me years to come and has same performance as my s7. Unfortunately, my phone stopped getting updates and is also getting slower and crashing more often.

emoore

Post by emoore » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 am

I usually keep mine around 4 years with a battery replace after 2 years. This usually means that I can still have the most up to date iOS.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 am

UTgrad wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:47 am
I feel comfortable spending about $400 and the note 9 is almost there, used of course. I just don't know about the huge screen. I'm sure I could squeeze another year outta mine maybe by then the s10 will be closer to 500. Sounds like many of you have the iPhone 6 I'll look into that one. I just want something that will last me years to come and has same performance as my s7. Unfortunately, my phone stopped getting updates and is also getting slower and crashing more often.
I would not be buying an iPhone 6 this late stage in its life cycle. Apple will not update the software for it at some point and the storage size is too small to handle continued updates. The iPhone XR is the best bang for the buck, longest lasting battery (ever) for an iPhone and although the price for entry is $749 without any kind of a trade in - it will last you a solid 4 years (the equivalent of 51 cents per day).
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

Point

Post by Point » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:13 am

An iPhone is far more secure and the software stays up to date. If you’re doing anything financial or keeping anything important that needs security- take that into consideration.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:20 am

Now. :wink:

I would not look at an iPhone below a 7. There really are never any deals on new iPhones.

Both the Samsung Galaxy S8 and S9 should be discounted now that the S10 is out. As mentioned a new S8 will be around $400.

If you like the S7 Android ecosystem, look for a deal on an S8 or S9. What is your current carrier and monthly bill?

Could you pair your new phone with savings on your plan? You can get a new S9 at Cricket Wireless for $549 (with number port in). The 5GB plan is $35/month including all taxes and fees. $50/month for the Unlimited plan including all taxes and fees. Discounts for multiple lines.

Maybe your current plan has limited data or if you are at one of the big guys, your bill might be $75, $80 plus for a single line with all the fees and taxes. Saving $30-$40/month will pay for your new phone in a year or so.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

rick51

Post by rick51 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

If you keep an old phone that is functioning properly, that's not cheap, that's frugal. If you keep an old phone that has a defect that in your own words is annoying, well then, I have to side with your family :wink: Time to replace. As has been suggested, how about a new older model?

westie

Post by westie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 am

GT99

Post by GT99 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 am

I know a lot of folks don't trust it, but ebay is your friend. I've bought a couple phones off ebay with no problems.

Also, I don't think Samsung phones are worth the premium. They're good phones, but they command significantly higher prices than their generational equivalents from other manufacturers that are negligibly different.
My last 3 phones have been S3 > LG G3 > S8+

The jump from S3 to G3 was very noticeable. Going from the G3 to the S8+ wasn't that big of an improvement despite a 3 generation jump (the S8+ is the equivalent of a G6).
Looking at used/refurbished prices, the Samsungs tend to go for about double the price of the LG equivalent.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 am

You can buy an Iphone 5S from Ebay for $100, which is what I recently did. My Iphone 4 was still going strong but I couldn't use it for apps.

It does everything in an excellent manner.

I don't really understand the constant switching to the newest phone. I have looked at the latest Iphone in the shops and apart from being slightly faster, my Iphone 5 can do everything the latest Iphone can that I would realistically need. The nicer camera is a huge plus, but not at that price difference of $800.

Edited to add that I'm really impressed after reading this thread with all the people using old Iphones - you guys are my tribe, totally, and I heart you.
Last edited by Caduceus on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am

Wait for 5G phone. current 4G phone will be outdated.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am
I work on 5G infrastructure. 5G is geared toward making sure carriers squeeze more profit from available airspace. You can already watch Netflix on your phone with 4G :wink:

I'd advise all Bogleheads to stick with 4G for the time being, they won't be outdated for a loooooong time.

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:54 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:51 am
WhiteMaxima wrote:
I work on 5G infrastructure. 5G is geared toward making sure carriers squeeze more profit from available airspace. You can already watch Netflix on your phone with 4G :wink:

I'd advise all Bogleheads to stick with 4G for the time being, they won't be outdated for a loooooong time.
I am glad to hear. I have a very decent LTE iPhone now. Plan to hold it for long time.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 am

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Wait for 6G phone. The 5G phone will be outdated.

In seriousness, you can always wait for the next thing. 5G is at least a few years away from widespread coverage. And 4G LTE will work for a long, long time. U.S. carriers have only recently started phasing out 3G, and that technology became widespread in the mid-2000s.

I'd recommend Moto G series or X4 for the OP.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 am

Caduceus wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 am

I don't really understand the constant switching to the newest phone. I have looked at the latest Iphone in the shops and apart from being slightly faster, my Iphone 5 can do everything the latest Iphone can that I would realistically need. The nicer camera is a huge plus, but not at that price difference of $800.

Edited to add that I'm really impressed after reading this thread with all the people using old Iphones - you guys are my tribe, totally, and I heart you.
I don't understand it either, but for a lot of people (at least in my circle) they break constantly. I've had one smartphone in my entire life (4yrs, paid for by my employer, and it still works fine) and 4 phones in my entire life (over ~20yrs). My wife has had as my many phones in the last 5yrs as I have had in my life, and I'm not buying new phones if the current one is functioning properly. If you ask her, it's just pure coincidence; has nothing to do with the fact that she is on it for hours a day while I often go multiples days without even touching it.

FWIW, I have had really good experience with moto G series.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:08 am

02nz wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:56 am
I'd recommend Moto G series or X4 for the OP.
I've had the Moto G5 Plus for 1.5 years and love it. I am a converted Iphone user.

With that said the Moto G6 and Moto 67 look great. You'll pay less than $250 dollars.

I've hear great things about One Plus. However this starts at $549 (6T) is meant for individuals who want great specs but don't want to pay Apple Iphone X and Samsung Galaxy prices.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:27 am

I would still be using my old Motorola Droid if it hadn't stopped working altogether. So to answer your question, it's time to replace it when you can no longer use it.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm a Galaxy user and have experience with both replacing my battery and buying a new replacement phone. At least for me, replacing the battery doesn't make sense. Because Samsung relies on a network of third party repairers, replacing Galaxy batteries is at least twice the price of replacing iPhone batteries. Also unlike iPhones, Galaxy phones drop in price pretty dramatically which isn't good for trading in but is made up for in a lower sale price. Finally, batteries have improved so that a newer smartphone will give you a longer usable life than replacing the (shorter life) battery on an older phone. My recommendation is to hold off until Black Friday if you can and get a new S10e then or at least until the summer.

gretah

Post by gretah » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 pm

When 5G comes to my area, that's when I'll upgrade to a new smartphone.

Mine should last until then. If not, I'll just pick up a cheap tracfone.

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars now and then again in several months.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:20 pm

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/sam ... nlocked-sd

Op could buy a "new to them" refurb S7. Refurb usually means a new battery.

Lower cost option. But doesn't move you up the version stack.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:41 pm

My Galaxy S5 went south just before I went on vacation back in November. So I stopped into my carrier (Verizon) looking to replace it. After seeing the $750 plus prices for a new iPhone or Galaxy I took the young sales guy's advice and got a MotoG6. Great phone, sleek very good features, don't miss my Galaxy at all. Plus, it's not clunky and heavy feeling like the iPhone XR. Paid $200 out the door and I'm a happy camper.

yeahman

Post by yeahman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 pm

The Galaxy S10e and iPhone XR are the best flagship values. Previous generation iPhones see a price drop after a new release every fall and trade in values are decent. Galaxy phones see price drops throughout the year but the best bargains are on Black Friday if you can manage to grab one before they sell out. You can sell your Galaxy on Swappa. Carriers don't offer the best deals unless you're a new customer, and often have to be a new multi-line customer. Places to look are Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy. Carriers, Amazon, Best Buy, and Samsung/Apple have limited stock refurbished phones as well.
Last edited by yeahman on Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:07 pm

gretah wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:15 pm
When 5G comes to my area, that's when I'll upgrade to a new smartphone.

Mine should last until then. If not, I'll just pick up a cheap tracfone.

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars now and then again in several months.
I'm hoping I can limp to 5G with my LG4. But I live in a semi-rural area so it could be a while. My LG works fine except for the camera which died a year ago but I never use it anyway.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I bought my Galaxy S3 in July 2013. I still use it. I have had a few scares with it and a few days ago ordered a Pixel 3.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:17 pm

I have owned a Galaxy S6 and while I liked it overall, Samsung dropped updates on it after three years and battery life was going downhill quickly at the 3 year mark as well. After I started having some trouble with the charging port, I bought a Motorola Z3 through Verizon for less than $300 on sale. It may not be quite up to the same specs as the latest flagship phones, but they have gotten very expensive and my experience with the Galaxy at least indicates you might not get all that long of a life out of them. The Motorola has been great so far.

I have never owned an Apple phone but have been very impressed with how long my other Apple devices have lasted. I had an iPad 2 last 6-1/2 years and am still using older iPod Touch and iPad Nano devices without any issues.

MichCPA

Post by MichCPA » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:22 pm

If you need a phone, the moto g models are under $300. Other new unlocked phones are comparable.

I don't understand why you would spend a significant portion of the price of a midrange phone to fix a battery, when you have a 1 year standard warranty (2 with many credit cards) on a new phone and the screen would work better. It would probably not be less than $100 to fix the battery if you paid someone else to do it.

Avoid replacement batteries from unkown sellers. They may not be safe.