Patio Design Input Needed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Patio Design Input Needed

Post by davebo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:55 pm

Doing a design on a patio right now and wanted some input. This patio is going to be kind of like a courtyard (surrounded by 3 sides) and will include a fire pit. Since the pit needs to be a certain distance from the house, it means that the area around the firepit is going to stick out a little bit. I'm contemplating 2 options here:

Look at the picture and the white parts I marked up:

1) Make it rounded on the right side of the fire pit.

2) Bring it straight across and extend the space on the patio a bit.

CAsage

Re: Patio Design Input Needed

Post by CAsage » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 pm

Assume the brownish stuff is patio and the green is grass? Yeah, the patio shape is overworked and too complex. I would make the planting areas around the perimeter deeper to allow more options/interesting depth of plants. Which edges are wall/house? Assume the steps are to house, but what's that weird little jog in the upper right? Move the firepit to the center of the far right, so you can see if from the house? I found that if you don't have seating on the far edges, it's not a "destination" and no one goes there. If you do put in some curves, make them symmetrical (as in, same curve upper right and lower right, on drawing).
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

bds3

Post by bds3 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm

I assume the light blue is house? if so extend the whole patio to the edge on the bottom side (bottom of the image you posted I mean) of the area around the fire pit. Like what's outlined in white on the bottom right, but also do it on bottom left to make the whole side square.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:25 pm

CAsage wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:18 pm
Assume the brownish stuff is patio and the green is grass? Yeah, the patio shape is overworked and too complex. I would make the planting areas around the perimeter deeper to allow more options/interesting depth of plants. Which edges are wall/house? Assume the steps are to house, but what's that weird little jog in the upper right? Move the firepit to the center of the far right, so you can see if from the house? I found that if you don't have seating on the far edges, it's not a "destination" and no one goes there. If you do put in some curves, make them symmetrical (as in, same curve upper right and lower right, on drawing).
Yes, brown ‘bricks’ is patio and brown around the perimeter is mulch/planting area. Actually everything in blue is the house, which is why there is that little cut out area on top right.

Reason firepit is where it is because it needs to be a certain distance away from structure. I could probably move it towards the house by about a foot or so and make it more towards the middle.

Topic Author
davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 pm

bds3 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:24 pm
I assume the light blue is house? if so extend the whole patio to the edge on the bottom side (bottom of the image you posted I mean) of the area around the fire pit. Like what's outlined in white on the bottom right, but also do it on bottom left to make the whole side square.
Yes, light blue is the house. That’s a good idea to just bring the whole thing across to make it stick out less. That’s what you are saying, correct?

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm

What type of seating do you want around the fire pit? 54" on 3 sides may not give you many choices. Personally I'd fill in the square on the left with the 5'6 3/8" inside it as well as the white area on the right with the pavers. That would give you more flexibility for sitting around the fire pit, putting in an extra table if you need to entertain a large group, or set up some saw horses to work on a construction project. I'd also consider extending a walkway on the right side with a planter between the walkway and the house. I prefer not to have grass against the foundation, although I realize in some areas it is very common to do so. If the grass will be irrigated by sprinklers you absolutely want a planter and preferably a sidewalk between the house and the grass.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Round the area down from the bottom left corner of the fire pit so it looks the same as below the fire pit on the right side.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:00 pm

Get your natural gas burner from Montana Fire pits....I did, and you’ll be glad you did too...Better flame appearance and made of brass...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:33 pm

Aha! The blue is house - I thought it was some strange external fence. Then I would round the bottom two halves of the patio to be symmetric and center the firepit in the space between left and right edges. I would not make the planter zone by the house bigger because you probably want smaller plants there (and minimize water?) vs a fence, where you would want to cover it up. Why not make the riser for steps going into house fill that little 2' corner (at the top left of patio), and then extend the planter all the way along the top to the riser? With a bigger step, you could put something on it. Or make the riser the whole 10' wide, then steps (less symmetric in terms of steps, but will avoid little fussy cutouts. Rounding the patio would also make it bigger to allow for more flexible seating. Have fun!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

Bruce T

Post by Bruce T » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:52 pm

I suggest:
1. including any planned patio furniture (tables, chairs, etc.) on the plan drawing to make sure you have enough space for them and to allow for repositioning them a bit and having clearance in walking around them.
2. If the orientation calls for it, consider whether to include design elements for shade, e.g. a sun "sail", awning, etc. That may impact on vertical/mounting provisions and furniture placement.
3. if you plan to have utility access, like power, gas, water - include that in the planning/space claims for associated equipment (grill, lighting, planters, etc.)
4. if you plan to have lighting provisions, factor that into the design and furniture placement up front
5. don't forget about drainage needs from existing sources as well as what's created from the new hard surface
6. consider and eliminate trip hazards due to unnatural heath differences from house to patio or patio to lawn, etc.
Have a fun project!