Visiting Tucson, AZ for 3 days - what to see?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gort

Visiting Tucson, AZ for 3 days - what to see?

Post by Gort » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

Friends,
I will have a short trip to Tucson the first week in April, staying 3 days. What sites to see do you recommend? I prefer the outdoors rather than museums. I'll have a rental car.
Thanks!
Gort

rkhusky

Re: Visiting Tucson, AZ for 3 days - what to see?

Post by rkhusky » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:42 am

Desert Museum (outdoor nature center) and Old Tucson.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:44 am

Three full days?

Tucson is an outdoor place and you can spend weeks hiking up all the attractive mountains and national parks/national recreational areas.

A few to get you started: Saguaro National Park East and SNP West. Yes, there are two of them. Sabino Canyon is another must visit for outdoor enthusiasts. You can’t do too much more with only three days.

The wild flowers are wide spread and all over due to unusually abundant rainfalls over the past year. Enjoy.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:46 am

Desert Museum is #1.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:48 am

I would have recommended the Desert Museum, but the OP specifically said that he didn’t want to visit museums.

For the OP, the Desert Museum visit will technically be a mostly outdoor activity.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:50 am

Spend one day in Sedona.

jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:51 am

- Chiricahua National Monument
- Kartchner Caverns
- Tombstone (O.K. Corral)
- Downtown Bisbee Shops / Mine Tour
Edit: - Biosphere 2 (from the movie Bio-Dome)

Source: lived in Sierra Vista, AZ for ~5 years.
Last edited by jaxxmjd on Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:03 pm

I second the recommendation for the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. You might take a drive up Mount Lemmon. I'd recommend Seis Kitchen in the Mercado San Augustin for some great Mexican food (your choice of six different Mexican types of cuisine) - great tacos. And the day trip to Tombstone is a lot of fun as well..
De gustibus non est disputandum

Bobby206

Post by Bobby206 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:50 am
Spend one day in Sedona.
I think that's about 4 or 5 hours from Tucson but I could be wrong.

cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Sedona is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way from Tucson. I wouldn’t spend 7 hours in the car to make a day trip to Sedona from Tucson.
De gustibus non est disputandum

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:20 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 pm
Sedona is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way from Tucson. I wouldn’t spend 7 hours in the car to make a day trip to Sedona from Tucson.
author didn't post what his/her interests were. the greater phoenix area has some native American reservations with great artifacts and other interesting highlights. Didn't even mention magnificent golf courses and shopping in Scottsdale
Act soon... time is running out

diy60

Post by diy60 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:23 pm

Visited Tucson, AZ last year in March for 3 to 4 days, this is what we did/saw:

Arizona-Sonora Desert museum
Sabino Canyon, hiking
Observatory late night sky viewing (don't remember which one, Mt. Lemmon or Kitt Peak)
Saguaro National Park, hiking
Bisbee AZ - Queen Mine tour (copper mine), lunch, and browsing in shops

dual

Post by dual » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:28 pm

Some cautions from someone who grew up in Tucson and often visits family there. Tucson residents have resisted Freeways so you need to get around on city streets. Going in a north-south direction is an ordeal during the morning and afternoon rush hours.

Also Tucson streets are not well maintained and there is a lot of loose debris on the roads. The car rental companies paid off the state legislature and governor to pass a law saying that windshield damage is not ordinary wear and tear so the renter is liable. Make sure your credit card rental car insurance covers windshield replacement and also scratches and dents due to flying rocks. Stay away from big trucks going down the streets.

During the summer watch out for flash flooding after monsoon rains particularly in the southwest of Tucson near the Santa Cruz so-called river. Also watch out for haboob dust storms that can come up suddenly after a monsoon shower. If you get caught in one while driving pull well off the road preferably into a parking lot. Close all your windows in your car and hotel room/rental house and turn the air conditioner to recirculate.

Have a nice time 8-)

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:05 pm

Been awhile since I was there (multiple years in March for an agricultural workshop/conference).

Walking tour of UAz campus and arboretum (as part of the conference we had a tour guide you might see if UAz has self guided brochure. Also there is an outdoor botanical garden in town which is excellent for desert plants & ecology. I think it is open to public (again I was there as part of the conference).

I spent day hiking in SNP west. I thought it was OK but too close to the city to get a good feel for the outback. SNP east would be better in that regard (haven't been to that side). If it were me I would want to go further out still to one of the sky islands (Chricahua most likely) or somewhere nr. Mexican border there is a lesser known but significant wildlife refuge or wilderness that is supposed to have really good birding (can't remember what is called or where exactly it is

Topic Author
Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Thanks for the early replies. To clarify, the outdoor type museums are fine. I enjoy the geography and geology more than looking at indoor exhibits. I was in Sedona 4 months ago. Very nice recommendation but my time on this trip will be in the Tucson area. Hoping to get some sunrise and sunset picures at least. I'll be flying into Phoenix airport (PHX) and driving the rental car to Tucson. Return back to PHX for departure flight.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm

I live outside Tucson and concur with many of the recommendations, but not visiting Phoenix or Sedona unless you have a week. I've also never had a cracked windshield due to the lousy streets or seen a dust storm in Tucson like they get up in Phoenix.

Suggestions:
Sabino Canyon, hiking and now a tour bus - a million people visit this National Forest site every year
Mt. Lemmon for a view and hiking
Saguaro National Park, east or west, for hiking and seeing lots of saguaros
Bisbee about an 1.5 hour southeast - Queen Mine tour (copper mine), lunch, shopping, with a stop at Tombstone Boot Hill on the way and the tourist-trap town to see the OK Corral shootout show.
Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson - not outdoors, but a excellent tour of a cold war silo
Madera Canyon south of Tucson - premier bird watching site
Kitt Peak National Observatory - nice drive, may be wildflowers in bloom, bunch of telescopes
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 14-time loser

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Desert Museum
Pima Air and Space Museum - if you are into aircraft.
See's chocolates - if you like that sort of chocolate.
Plenty of places to hike - second it on Sabino Canyon, did it (bring water). Same for Mount Lemmon, another good place.
Tombstone is more than an hours drive from Tucson, but then again it all depends how fast of a roadrunner you are. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm

Bobby206 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm
mtmingus wrote:
Spend one day in Sedona.
It's about 4 hours, depending on if you get stuck in Phoenix freeway traffic where the junction is for California. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, there seems to be alot of traffic in that vicinity.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:49 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:37 pm
Bobby206 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:04 pm
mtmingus wrote:
Spend one day in Sedona.
It's about 4 hours, depending on if you get stuck in Phoenix freeway traffic where the junction is for California. Doesn't matter what time of day it is, there seems to be alot of traffic in that vicinity.
++1
Live in the region.
I-17, I-10, also I-17 corridor, can get pretty slow.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm
I live outside Tucson and concur with many of the recommendations, but not visiting Phoenix or Sedona unless you have a week. I've also never had a cracked windshield due to the lousy streets or seen a dust storm in Tucson like they get up in Phoenix.

Suggestions:
Sabino Canyon, hiking and now a tour bus - a million people visit this National Forest site every year
Bisbee about an 1.5 hour southeast - Queen Mine tour (copper mine), lunch, shopping, with a stop at Tombstone Boot Hill on the way and the tourist-trap town to see the OK Corral shootout show.
Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson - not outdoors, but interesting in a grim way
Kitt Peak National Observatory - nice drive, may be wildflowers in bloom, bunch of telescopes
Live in the region.
This is a good list.
The big thing is driving time so though there's a lot to see and do, cutting down on transit time helps a lot. Have a good plan.
Second Sedona but there's so much to do there that that warrants a different trip.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm

Whatever you do in the desert, remember to travel with plenty of water so that you stay hydrated! :idea:

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm

DesertDiva wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm
Whatever you do in the desert, remember to travel with plenty of water so that you stay hydrated! :idea:
That and sunscreen. It warms up fast by 11am.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:47 pm

While we are on the subject of proper attire and hydration, it is very important to observe the following tips:

(1). As indicated earlier, you need lots of water and sustain lotion. If you have very fair skin, you need very high SPF lotion.

(2). Wear a light color and light weight jacket that provides 100% UV protection. Also, have a wide brim hat that is wide enough to protect your entire face and neck. Note that you don’t need one as wide as a sombrero.

(3). The infamous rattle snakes will be active in April. So, wear good hiking shoes (no flip flops or sandals) and long pants for protection. Also bring a hiking stick in case of a close encounter with a rattle snake. Bring a couple of very bright flashlights so that you won’t step on rattle snakes if you go out at night.

Tucson does not have Haboobs. It may have dust storm from time to time, but no Haboobs.

And due to the dry nature of the desert area, a cracked windshield is a real possibility due to small rocks that might be kicked up by the car in front of you on either the freeway or the little side streets. So, do make sure that your rental covers windshield damage.

Enjoy your visit. It is a fascinating place.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:19 pm

I lived there for ten years. I agree, the sun and UV exposure is very intense due to elevation and clear skies. Actually, locals in Phoenix and Tucson don't sunbathe by the pool if they are smart, that is for snowbirds at the resorts! Otherwise in a few years, go back home and you will see that your skin has weathered compared to others, even with sunscreen.

Definitely get some Mexican food. There are a few good places in South Tucson (see Yelp). I still like to go back to El Charro in the old downtown "courts" area-it is I think over seventy years in the original location, in an old house.

I enjoyed Tucson while I was there, but over time the place became just sprawling, and without the freeways traffic crosstown a real mess. The desert can be beautiful but over time I missed the seasons and greenery, and finally returned north.

Still nice place to visit, though, and the Desert Museum west of town is worth a look. Also the University campus, Sabino Canyon for hiking.

I think Sedona is really another trip, based out of Phoenix.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:35 pm

cadreamer2015 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:12 pm
Me either!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:36 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:02 pm
DesertDiva wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 pm
That and sunscreen. It warms up fast by 11am.
And Chapstick!

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:42 pm

Since you like the outdoors, I'd recommend that (in addition to some of the "outdoor" recommendations, above) you check-out Madera Canyon, just south of Tucson----great scenery and lots of hiking trails.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... izona.html
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:31 pm

I am told that Kartchner Caverns is one of the best under ground caves in the US. It is a new cave system that was not discovered until 1978 and only recently opened to the public.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/cave ... tionopened in the 1990s.

If you like old west towns Tombstone is a great example. It is the home of the OK Coral and Wyatt Earp and all the related stories plus some nice old wooden sidewalks and old buildings and some old gold mines. It is down south of Tucson near the Kartchner caves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tombstone,_Arizona

I am also a big fan of the KItt peak observatory. It is about 25 miles west of Tucson and up a big desert mountain. In summer or late spring you can tour the telescopes and the solar scope and see lots of cools astronomy in action. If you go take warm clothes and a good jacket as it is very cold and windy up top.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitt_Peak ... bservatory

And you should spend at least part of one day touring the PIMA Air museum. See the old WWII planes and all the recent vintages as well.

http://www.pimaair.org/

Good Luck.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:46 pm

We just did a short trip to Tucson and flew in/out from Phoenix. If you have a later flight, recommend spending a few hours in Phoenix. The art museum is great (lovely cafe too), and the Heard Museum is also nearby. Both are quite near the airport. Personally we always stop in for an hour at Nordstrom's "Last Chance" store for great bargains (just have space in your luggage!).

Advantage of heading north to Phoenix early is in case of a bad accident on that freeway (we encountered one heading south) if you cut your flight back close.

If you have more time, then the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix is a must-see, but only if that's your thing and you do need a few hours there.

bcowan12

Post by bcowan12 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:12 pm

You may want to skip Mt Lemmon. I had a visitor from Canada stay with me for the better part of a week. After doing a hike on the mountain, he wasn't interested in returning there. He said it was "too much like home", and wanted to spend the rest of his time exploring canyons and desert -- that's what makes this area special. The mountains are referred to as the "Sky Islands", because their habitat is like you'd find a thousand miles north, like in Idaho :)

carofe

Post by carofe » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:51 pm
BigFoot48 wrote:

Suggestions:
Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson - not outdoors, but interesting in a grim way
Live in the region.
This is a good list.
The big thing is driving time so though there's a lot to see and do, cutting down on transit time helps a lot. Have a good plan.
Second Sedona but there's so much to do there that that warrants a different trip.
I second this as well. I live in Tucson. Don't forget to visit local restaurants! Tucson is the First UNESCO City of Gastronomy in the USA: https://www.visittucson.org/press/news- ... ronomy-usa
US Total Stock Market + Intermediate Term Bond. That's it.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:44 pm

If you'll be anywhere around the University of Arizona area, the USS Arizona Mall Memorial is worth visiting.
http://www.ussarizonamallmemorial.org/

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:48 pm

BigFoot48 wrote:

Suggestions:

I would agree with this list. I would skip Bisbee and head to the Asarco Mining Center in Sahuarita which is adjacent to the Titan Missile Museum in Sahuarita. You can see their huge pit and see their displays of various mining equipment.

As for cracked windshields, I have had three of them in four years in Pima County. Fortunately, two have been in rental cars.

If you are in Tucson the last week of April, there is a major Mariachi Festival at Casino del Sol. Thursday night features dozens of youth mariachi bands from all over the Southwest US and Mexico ... all for the princely sum of $10.

https://www.casinodelsol.com/event/2019 ... ce-425-427

bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Kartchner Caverns - especially if the temps pop upwards.
Saguaro National Park - West, and take the pass road into Tucson to/from SNP - there are turn-offs for the viewpoints.

tindel

Post by tindel » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:51 pm

The Titan missile silo!

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Rent a Harley for a day? Harley Rentals at Big Boyz Toyz in Tucson. I've done that up in Phoenix.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

MJS

Post by MJS » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:28 pm

Tucson hiking guide - I like the Camino del Cerro trailhead.
http://www.arizonahikersguide.com/tucson

+19th on Madera Canyon & Az Sonora Desert museum

Consider driving from Phoenix via Florence: see flowers, Casa Grande National Monument ... and the Tom Mix monument.

stuyguy

Post by stuyguy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm

It's indoors, but a tour of the telescope mirror lab on UA campus is fascinating

https://mirrorlab.arizona.edu/content/tours-tickets

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm

stuyguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm
It's indoors, but a tour of the telescope mirror lab on UA campus is fascinating

Highly recommended. A world-class facility.

WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:06 am

OP,

We were there for the Gem and Mineral Show in February. Loved the town and found lot’s to see. A couple of items I didn’t see mentioned ...

Mexican Food — Mi Nidito, it was really special!
Military Aircraft Boneyard — http://www.pimaair.org/tour-boneyard (note, you have to reserve in advance and be “cleared”)
Titan Missile Museum — Long tour (5 hours), http://www.titanmissilemuseum.org/top-to-bottom

Our absolute favorite was the Desert Museum, itis not to be missed — closer to a zoo than a Museum

WoodSpinner

Trism

Post by Trism » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:21 am

I was there a couple of weeks ago. 3 days sounds like 2.5 too many if you've seen a desert before.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am

BigFoot48 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:36 pm
stuyguy wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 pm

Highly recommended. A world-class facility.
We're planning to visit Tucson, too... I like telescope stuff and have already booked an evening at Kitt Peak. My wife doesn't particularly like telescope stuff and likes ethnography stuff. At the University of Arizona is there an obvious place near the mirror lab that she could visit while I visit the mirror lab?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:02 am

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am
We're planning to visit Tucson, too... I like telescope stuff and have already booked an evening at Kitt Peak. My wife doesn't particularly like telescope stuff and likes ethnography stuff. At the University of Arizona is there an obvious place near the mirror lab that she could visit while I visit the mirror lab?
The Arizona State Museum, "Established in 1893, Arizona State Museum is the oldest and largest anthropological research museum in the Southwest, with expansive collections that are exceptional resources for the study, teaching, and appreciation of the region’s 13,000-year human history." It is on the campus and a short walking distance from the mirror lab. I have not been to it, but it has gotten good reviews. https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/

The The Flandrau Science Center & Planetarium with its digital-projection planetarium is also a great place to visit for those interested in astronomy. https://flandrau.org/
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:06 am

+1 for the AZ State Museum. I had visited the museum and was so impressed with the unique Indian art collections.

Here is a link to the campus map https://www.arizona.edu/sites/default/f ... or_map.pdf

22twain

Post by 22twain » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:23 am

On the way to or from the Desert Museum / Old Tucson area, take a detour for the scenic drive up Sentinel Peak (a.k.a. "A" Mountain after the big red/white/blue letter "A" on its face) to get a nice view of the city. Best in late afternoon when the sun is behind you in the west.
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:44 am
For ethnography, The Tree Ring Lab tour: https://ltrr.arizona.edu/docents
You might also enjoy the Science Cafes - https://cos.arizona.edu/connections/for ... ence-cafes