Sirius

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Sirius

Post by MP173 »

We subscribe to Sirius Sat Radio for both cars. I forget what we pay, but it is probably full price.

We both enjoy it much more than AM/FM radio.

Is there a method of streaming it on your phone or computer without paying extra?

Ed
bloom2708

Re: Sirius

Post by bloom2708 »

If your car has Bluetooth audio or a USB connection (most newer cars do), then you can stream.

Pandora.com has a free option. You get ads occasionally. You create a station based on favorite artists or songs and it plays music similar in style.

Maybe you are an Amazon Prime member. You can stream Amazon Music from your phone.

Google Music, Apple Music, Spotify are other streaming systems that require a monthly subscription.

Both our cars we have let the Sirius subscriptions lapse. I won't even pay the "super lowest of low deal" price.

We do have a Family Apple Music subscription. I create Playlists or listen to a "Radio" station based on a favorite artist.

You can also upload your own music from CDs into Amazon Music and/or Apple Music/Google Play and play from your phone.

Lots of good options these days.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

You might want to consider paying the extra to stream, and then drop the subscription on the second car. You can then stream to the phone in that car.

I haven't looked at the numbers ately, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper than carrying two "radio" subscriptions.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

MP173 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am We subscribe to Sirius Sat Radio for both cars. I forget what we pay, but it is probably full price.

We both enjoy it much more than AM/FM radio.

Is there a method of streaming it on your phone or computer without paying extra?

Ed
It would be a good idea for you to figure out what type of account you have on each car, and what you're paying. Two reasons.

1) Some accounts include streaming. I'm no expert, but I can easily see on their site that there is an All Access subscription for example.

2) I see people all the time paying $30 - $40 for 6 months. Check what you're paying, threaten to leave.

As some have posted, there are other free alternatives.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Streaming is a option,
https://www.siriusxm.com/streaming?desktop=yes

Like others, if you play the Sirius retention offers routine that is very common, the cost will be minimal.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

You need an all access subscription to stream to phone and laptop. But if you are paying full price, a negotiated all access subscription will be cheaper than what you have. It will take a phone call. I am currently paying $99 plus tax and fees (I think it was around $120) for a one year subscription that includes one car plus unlimited streaming. I think streaming can only be to one device at a time.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Cancel Sirius. Then check out the email, and snail mail offers they send you to re-sign up. I think I'm paying about $7 per month for one car at the moment.
bck63

Post by bck63 »

MP173 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:36 am We subscribe to Sirius Sat Radio for both cars. I forget what we pay, but it is probably full price.
Call them tonight and tell them you want to cancel. Keep refusing until they offer you an introductory rate of $26.95 for five months. Take it. Then, when you are about to expire, call again and tell them you want to cancel because the new price will be too expensive. Keep saying no until they offer you the introductory price again. I've been doing this for 7 years. Saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

No reason to pay full price for Sirius.
bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 »

I pay $5 a month for Sirius streaming only after doing the cancel/call dance each year. Set a calendar reminder and call, takes about 15 minutes if it ever doesn't work I'll just go ahead and cancel. The streaming only works for me both in the car and at home, the app is slightly clunky but I didn't want to be tethered to the car or radio.
Polarize

Post by Polarize »

Recent BH discussion :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=198331
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

OP here.

We have the same issue with Xfinity as we have cable, phone and internet. We havent paid much attention and they just hit us with another increase and we are over $300 per month.

I absolutely need their high speed internet for work and my wife is a cable TV viewer from 6am til 10pm.

Too much $$$ going for "communication".

Ed
blackcat allie

Post by blackcat allie »

Slightly digressing, but anyone remember the Inno XM to go?
Had one ten years ago, could just hit record on songs & it would store content. Like taping songs off the radio

Ah nostalgia...
“Nothing in life is as important as you think it is while you are thinking about it.” - Daniel Kahneman
catdude

Post by catdude »

blackcat allie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:24 pm Slightly digressing, but anyone remember the Inno XM to go?
Had one ten years ago, could just hit record on songs & it would store content. Like taping songs off the radio

Ah nostalgia...
I had to google it to refresh my memory, but yeah, I had one years ago. Don't think I did much recording of songs, but it was definitely cool & groovy....
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I recently discovered they have a military/vet discount on their service. This may be helpful to some of you.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.
Trism

Post by Trism »

MP173 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm OP here.

We have the same issue with Xfinity as we have cable, phone and internet. We havent paid much attention and they just hit us with another increase and we are over $300 per month.

I absolutely need their high speed internet for work

Ed
How much speed are you paying for and just how much do you actually need?

I've worked from home for 10 years, and even after switching the "land line" to VOIP (Ooma) my 5 Mbps service worked well for the purpose.

I'm constantly connected to the work network from my laptop via wifi/VPN for email and access to corporate resources like Project Server, and spend multiple hours a day on conference calls (VOIP) simultaneously.

... and of course I have my personal iMac, two iPads (personal and work) and my mobile phone also consuming various amounts of bandwidth on the same connection at the same time throughout the day.

Our ISP recently discontinued 5 Mbps and now 10 Mbps is the slowest they sell, so that's what I have.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

I pay $67/month for Comcast internet, 75 mbps download speed. No cable, we do Netflix, so there's a difference. We killed our home phone off, cell phones only. You have lots of room to come down if you're paying $300/month, even with cable.
cjonblanchard

Post by cjonblanchard »

A little over a year later, I'm scrolling through the Personal Consumer Issues tab and happened across this thread. Called Sirius and threatened to cancel my service, which ran around $60/qtr. w/tax. :oops: Rep offered XM Select for either a 6-mo. or 12-mo. term, both at $5/mo. (w/tax, $72.84/yr. here), so I went with 12 months. It includes 1 car and streaming. Rep suggested noting July 2021 on my calendar before the deal expires next year and gave me her phone number to call then. Didn't realize until now that I could stream, so am enjoying listening to it now on my computer and will play around with adding it to our other car, which has bluetooth access. Thank you, Bogleheads! :happy
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

Cancel your subscription asap. They will send numerous emails/snail mail with a better deal. I pay $60/yr. Sirius now has a smartphone app. It's set up for one car. I use the smartphone app w/USB cord for the other car. Works great.
cjonblanchard

Post by cjonblanchard »

Thanks, spartanap -- we think similarly, as that's close to what I did. I threatened to cancel and got the $60/yr. deal, but taxes bit deeper to $72.84. We just bought a "new" used Lincoln with a Kenwood DDX9904S system which should have streaming access to Sirius. Presently in the midst of familiarizing myself with it. :confused But if I can't figure it out, will go with your excellent system of the smartphone app w/USB cord.