Paris - Is It Safe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Paris - Is It Safe?

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 am

I've been planning to go to Paris for a week in May, with my wife. Basically a museum/art trip. But, I'm uncertain whether this is prudent, given the difficulties I keep reading about. It sounds like the Champs Elysee was really trashed this weekend, and this has been going on for months.

I need to decide very soon to make reservations/plane fare.

Is it safe?
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

pennylane

Re: Paris - Is It Safe?

Post by pennylane » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 am

I find this a ridiculous question. If you’re paranoid for your safety, don’t go.

If it was unsafe for anyone to go, they’d probably have travel restrictions.... you’ll be fine.......

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:41 am

I was there a few years back and at the time it was safe on the streets except for the usual [(removed) --admin LadyGeek], tramps and thieves looking to pick your wallet. A while after that I saw they closed the Louvre as there were so many pickpockets [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] hanging out there they deemed it was unsafe for tourists. Now they have a good measure of civil unrest. Don't join demonstrations. As always, leave your jewelry at home and take precautions. I carry a credit card and whatever money I think I need for the day in a calf wallet. Small bills and cell or such in a zippered pants or jacket pocket. Be smart about it and don't look for trouble and you should be fine.
Last edited by midareff on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 am

Stay away from demonstrations and maintain a general awareness of what's going on around you and the other tourist is more likely to get robbed. Anything can happen, however.

I wouldn't hesitate to visit Paris.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:44 am

pennylane wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:38 am
I find this a ridiculous question. If you’re paranoid for your safety, don’t go.

If it was unsafe for anyone to go, they’d probably have travel restrictions.... you’ll be fine.......
Doesn't seem ridiculous to me that the OP would be concerned about safety given the rioting there. Of course I guess you could say that if you watched the rioting on TV, why would you need to ask the question since it's pretty obvious?

I would not go to Paris now.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 am

Very safe.

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

We were in Paris this past Thanksgiving during the height of the yellow vest protests. During the day and on most of the evenings it was absolutely fine. We saw protesters marching from time to time but they were mostly peaceful. On the Saturday night there were protests up and down the Champs Elysee and at the Arc de Triomphe. The protestors were burning cars and smashing store front windows. The riot police were out in full force and did a great job of confining the situation. Our hotel was 2 blocks from the Arc de Triomphe and although we heard the police sirens all night we were not affected at all by these events, other than us cancelling our dinner plans for the evening. We ate at the hotel and did not venture out.

In general we felt very safe in Paris, as when visiting any large city take the usual precautions against petty theft, pickpocketing etc. as others have said. Stay abreast of the news and current events.

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am

Actually, the current yellow vest protests don't seem particularly dangerous, especially for tourists. However, I would be much more concerned about how they would affect my ability to enjoy Paris during a limited time visit. If you have limited access for two days of a four day trip, that would probably be a fail.

Of course, this sort of thing is always a concern there. On my last visit (quite a few years ago), I went to the Palace of Versailles and my visit was cut short by striking firemen who started tire fires on the grounds and commenced a standoff with police. Each time I have been in the country, my exit has been in jeopardy because the airline I was using to leave the country was either on strike or threatening to do so.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:11 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:28 am
I've been planning to go to Paris for a week in May, with my wife. Basically a museum/art trip. But, I'm uncertain whether this is prudent, given the difficulties I keep reading about. It sounds like the Champs Elysee was really trashed this weekend, and this has been going on for months.

Is it safe?
Make sure you get a Paris Museum Pass. It will save you time from buying entrance to the Louvre.
http://en.parismuseumpass.com
Best Wishes, | Joe

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:38 am

kramer wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:09 am
Actually, the current yellow vest protests don't seem particularly dangerous, especially for tourists. However, I would be much more concerned about how they would affect my ability to enjoy Paris during a limited time visit. If you have limited access for two days of a four day trip, that would probably be a fail.

Of course, this sort of thing is always a concern there. On my last visit (quite a few years ago), I went to the Palace of Versailles and my visit was cut short by striking firemen who started tire fires on the grounds and commenced a standoff with police. Each time I have been in the country, my exit has been in jeopardy because the airline I was using to leave the country was either on strike or threatening to do so.
Oh the joys of visiting France - or Italy, for that matter! I was in Rome years ago when the bus drivers went on strike. It was extremely inconvenient and we had to cut short what we saw on that trip. But we were already in Italy so we made the best of it.

The State Department Travel Advisory has France at Level 2 - "Exercise Increased Caution", but that is for terrorism (T) rather than civil unrest (U) and pretty much all of western Europe is at the same level UK, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain,....

FWIW, I will be in France in May although only in Paris for an overnight stay.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am

Having been there a few times somewhat recently, my level of concern is so low one can argue it is troubling. The biggest concern with Paris will be pickpockets and cut purses.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am

I would worry more about disruptions than safety. You would need to stay away from the areas where there is trouble.

If you decide against Paris, I would suggest Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance, which is a 2 hour bullet train trip from Rome.
I liked the Academia in Florence (Firenze) better than the Louvre, and Rome was very compact and easy to get around. The Vatican museum is huge.

jminv

Post by jminv » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

The protests are very small at this point and nothing to worry about. French protests tend to be in a specified location with protestors inside the area and police surrounding them. They then move them down an area they want when it gets later in the day. The first few weekends were a bit less controlled but they still stayed in a specific area of Paris, ie, if you’re worried about this stay away from the area around the Arc de Triomphe on Saturday and sometimes Sunday. Even at the height of the protests, they weren’t a concern for tourists unless you decided you want to experience the protests close up. I know because I was there. What was irritating was that the government shutdown large parts of the metro particularly on one weekend. Now they shutdown a couple stops nearby the protests.

This actually reminds me of the cape town water shortage. People were asking here about what to bring to bathe with, how to get bottled water, etc. There was a shortage but I also knew how it works in general there and why it was being played up in the news. It was exaggerated and a non issue for a tourist and I know because I went. Water at all tourist locations. Airbnb, restaurants, etc. Took a shower daily. No pools was the only issue. News likes to play up issues for views. Don’t let it keep you from going to Paris.

If it’s still a concern for you, plan your trip to be Monday through Friday. Take the train to Belgium/Luxembourg/Italy or a quieter part of France for weekend. They’re weekend protests...

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:00 pm

I've gone recently but not since the tax protests started. No issues. I've been to far more dangerous places and it was also fine.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Safe or not, we’re going, but not this year. We are at the age to live dangerously for a change. :D
That’s said we will be in Turkey and Bulgaria next year too. Maybe Morocco.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 pm

Skip Paris. Lots and lots to do and see all over France in terms of art and history.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:15 pm

One thing that helps reduce tourist hassle is to dress like a European. You can google what that means. Americans are sometimes surprised that I know they are Americans, but they are easy to spot from a distance. Lol

Also your behavior can give you away. For example, Europeans tend to stand flat footed.

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:40 pm

MathWizard wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:02 am
If you decide against Paris, I would suggest Florence, birthplace of the Renaissance, which is a 2 hour bullet train trip from Rome.
I liked the Academia in Florence (Firenze) better than the Louvre, and Rome was very compact and easy to get around. The Vatican museum is huge.
Yes, did this last year. Very enjoyable, although very very crowded with tourists
69 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

Topic Author
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:15 pm
Also your behavior can give you away. For example, Europeans tend to stand flat footed.
How, exactly, do Americans stand? On their tip toes? Their heels? The sides of their feet? :|

MDCrab

Post by MDCrab » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Paris is fine. I was there during the protests last month. They’re only on Saturdays and they’re confined to one area. If you want to go, go.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm

I was there a few weeks ago and going back in a couple of weeks for work. You wouldn't even know something is going on there. No issues at all.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm

We have a friend in Paris. She says the same thing about the U.S. She loves her town and is safe, she says, but the U.S.? she says in return, I am scared to go there.
So, we see what we see and hear what we hear, but not necessarily the same as others do.
“One moment of patience may ward off great disaster. One moment of impatience may ruin a whole life.” — Chinese Proverb

xb7

Post by xb7 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:57 pm

Sheepdog wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:45 pm
We have a friend in Paris. She says the same thing about the U.S. She loves her town and is safe, she says, but the U.S.? she says in return, I am scared to go there.
So, we see what we see and hear what we hear, but not necessarily the same as others do.
The State Department Travel Advisory has France at Level 2 - "Exercise Increased Caution", but that is for terrorism (T) rather than civil unrest (U) and pretty much all of western Europe is at the same level UK, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain,....
Yes, one wonders if our own state department were to use their own approach in an objective way, how they would rate the U.S.? We always have concerns about "far off" places as dangerous, but we're used to what's normal at home and tend to discount similar risks.

I feel if anything safer in a random European city than I do in an equivalent sized U.S. city.

I plan to be in Paris later this year, no concern about the gilets jaunes movement, other than --- as has already been said --- a small chance of having something closed and thus need to change plans on the fly. This is just part of traveling.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:00 pm

Have they started evacuating the 2+ million Parisians? No? I guess then it would be safe enough for me, too. It’s a big city with lots of sights that I personally found a lot more interesting than the Champs-Élysées.

Enjoy your trip!

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:21 pm

I heard it was every Saturday. And how obvious are yellow vests. At any rate I will be in Paris tomorrow night and if this thread continues I will update later.
I will try and fit in as someone said. I am practicing not standing like an American. Plus I am wearing a beret and smoking a cigarette in a long holder. I may keep some cheese in my pocket and also rent a poodle to walk. Since I don't speak French I may paint my face white and mine everything.
Looks like I will be fine. Still not sure about standing like an American. Perhaps I will need to slouch more.

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:32 pm

Protesting is a pastime activity in Paris. It's just what they have been doing there since let's say, The French Revolution. CNN is only paying attention to it at the moment. I was once in Paris on a bus heading to the opera with a friend. The bus just stopped and the driver ordered everyone off because he couldn't drive further due to the protests. This was about 14 years ago. We walked around barricades and by people interested in burning cars.

We made it to the Opera on-time.

Another time I was standing on a busy corner on a street with lots of tourists looking at my map trying to figure out how to find the office which had the key to our Airbnb. A friendly sanitation worker holding a broom noticed our dilemma came over to help us find our way. I later wondered if he was actually a police officer. There is more security than is obvious.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:21 pm

The yellow vest protests are not just in Paris, and they are announced ahead of time, so you can choose to stay away from the area where they are taking place.
The violence yesterday along the Champs Elysees, which was the work of a limited number of "casseurs" who are not supported by the bulk of the yellow vest protesters, was happening at the same time a peaceful youth protest about climate change was happening on the other side of town at the Place de la Republique.
As in all large cities, be aware of your surroundings.

Just be advised that springtime in Paris is the time for strikes. Sometimes they only last a day, but they can throw a wrench is your plans. I love France.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm

I was in Paris a few weeks ago, staying at a hotel across from The Louvre. On Saturday, areas near the Grand Palais were fenced off and there was a heavy police presence. The protestors' plans seemed well known, and their presence limited to a relatively small area.

During our 10 day stay, we rode the Metro all over and walked around the Musee d'Orsay, Champs Elysee, Pompidou Center, and other popular tourist spots and never, ever felt at risk. I felt safer in Paris than I would in most major American cities. I would not let the gilets jaunes deprive you of a visit to the world's greatest city.

Ppdyssy9153

Post by Ppdyssy9153 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Husband and I are looking to go in May as well. I’m not too concerned about the protests. We went to Athens during the protests and we didn’t see any of them.

Here’s my problem...we want to go to London, then take the train over to Paris. With all of the Brexit drama lately, it looks like there have been major delays and cancellations on the train. We could fly, but it looks like the airports may have some delays as well.

Has anyone taken the London to Paris train recently, or have any advice on whether we should just deal with potential delays/cancellations or wait to go? Does anyone know if this is affecting local buses and trains?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:27 pm

Kitty Telltales wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:32 pm
Protesting is a pastime activity in Paris. It's just what they have been doing there since let's say, The French Revolution. CNN is only paying attention to it at the moment. I was once in Paris on a bus heading to the opera with a friend. The bus just stopped and the driver ordered everyone off because he couldn't drive further due to the protests. This was about 14 years ago. We walked around barricades and by people interested in burning cars.

Similar in Brussels. There used to be protests and marches all the time. Normally well organized and scheduled in advance. Quickie strikes were also common. One night I was returning home from a trip to Cologne and the train stopped in the North Station. They came on and said that this was the end for this train despite the fact that it was scheduled to go all the way to Midi where my car was. It was 11:30 at night.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

rennale

Post by rennale » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:45 pm

I took the Eurostar train from London to Paris on March 2nd (two weeks ago) and it was perfectly fine, if you don't count the hundreds of young school kids enjoying themselves during the trip (hint: get first class tickets!).

I was in Paris for a few days and it too was absolutely fine. I steered clear of most of the big tourist areas because I've done them all before and they are very crowded, even at this time of year. If you need to do the Louvre, D'Orsay, etc. get there very early or you'll waste much of your vacation waiting in line.

Check a few websites for non-touristy things to do in Paris and they will give you some ideas. E.G. The Petit Palais museum instead of one of the big ones, or the Marche aux Puces in Saint-Ouen (flea market). Carry just one credit card - there's no need to carry a driver's license, passport or anything else.

It's sad to see big metal shutters covered with graffiti being hauled down over the shopfronts at night, but any city that still has bookshops and people riding bikes with baguettes sticking up out of their backpacks can't be all bad. There's never a reason not to go to Paris. :-)

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:41 pm
whodidntante wrote:
How, exactly, do Americans stand? On their tip toes? Their heels? The sides of their feet? :|
We have a tendency to lean on one leg or against things like pickup trucks.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:51 pm

Is it safe?
No it is not safe.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:53 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm
whodidntante wrote:
They used to pick us out of a crowd from a distance. I can remember visiting a very small Champagne producer in France. My wife spoke (at the time) impeccable French (French French, not Belgian French). The owner was shocked when she first spoke to him when we arrived. He said "I thought you were an American." We were of course. They can pick us out in a crowd anywhere. Doesn't matter what you wear or say.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

wander

Post by wander » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:55 pm

I feel safe in Paris. Again, it's common sense to not make yourself a target, anywhere.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Is it safe?
Safer than almost any city in the United States. The United States, in fact, is the most dangerous country I've been in, and I've been in quite a few.

P.S. Gun ownership and homicide rates:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/how ... -countries

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:00 pm

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:24 pm
Husband and I are looking to go in May as well. I’m not too concerned about the protests. We went to Athens during the protests and we didn’t see any of them.

Here’s my problem...we want to go to London, then take the train over to Paris. With all of the Brexit drama lately, it looks like there have been major delays and cancellations on the train. We could fly, but it looks like the airports may have some delays as well.

Has anyone taken the London to Paris train recently, or have any advice on whether we should just deal with potential delays/cancellations or wait to go? Does anyone know if this is affecting local buses and trains?
We went by boat through Dover years ago, my husband was planning to do that again soon, he wants to see Dunkirk and the surrounding area near the coast. I don’t remember it was very long, but we enjoyed it.

cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Ppdyssy9153 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:24 pm

A friend just took the train from Paris to London last week and posted there were protests at the train station and it took them 5 1/2 hours to get through past security and they missed their train (of course). They were rebooked and finally made it to London. Naturally, it was a frustrating experience.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:42 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:07 pm
Skip Paris. Lots and lots to do and see all over France in terms of art and history.
Totally agree with this. Paris is the most overrated destination in Europe. I'd rather go anywhere in Europe than Paris. Pick some midsize or smaller towns. They're more fun and more "real." Paris is just another big city.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm

carol-brennan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:42 pm
.... Paris is just another big city.
Right. All the big cities have the Louvre, the Musée d'Orsay, the Pompidou, the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Rodin Museum, and many special exhibits, a stinky subway system, a nice central Luxembourg Garden, and on and on.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

four7s

Post by four7s » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Take your valuables with you on your daily outings. Keep them in a pouch hung around your neck inside your shirt/sweater and jacket. We trusted the in room safe at our Parisian hotel and were robbed when ‘someone’ gained entry to it. They know how to get into the safe as they work at the hotel and have ‘home field’ advantage. The management was apologetic but said there was nothing they could do. Lesson learned.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:58 pm

four7s wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:48 pm
Take your valuables with you on your daily outings.
I never take valuables with me when I travel. It's easy because I don't have any valuables.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:14 pm

carol-brennan wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:56 pm
Is it safe?
Safer than almost any city in the United States. The United States, in fact, is the most dangerous country I've been in, and I've been in quite a few.

Why stop with guns? What about knives and blunt objects? The US is one of the safest countries on the planet. The majority of violent crimes in the states are committed in a few geographical areas or between acquaintances.

DesertDiva

Post by DesertDiva » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:32 pm

I’m flying to Detroit next month and Cancun in the fall, and I’m not worried about either trip 8-)

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:14 pm
carol-brennan wrote:
Is it safe?

Why stop with guns? What about knives and blunt objects? The US is one of the safest countries on the planet. The majority of violent crimes in the states are committed in a few geographical areas or between acquaintances.
The US intentional homicide rate is a more than 4x that of France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... By_country

Do you have any evidence US violent crimes are any more "committed in a few geographical areas or between acquaintances" than in France?

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:43 pm
MindBogler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:14 pm
carol-brennan wrote:
Is it safe?

The US intentional homicide rate is a more than 4x that of France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... By_country

Do you have any evidence US violent crimes are any more "committed in a few geographical areas or between acquaintances" than in France?
When I was preparing to move to Paris 50 years ago to work as an au pair, I read that violent crimes in France were more likely to be crimes of passion and crimes involving acquaintances. I thought, "Well, since I don't know anybody there, I should be okay."

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Seasonal wrote:
I never said that it did. In fact I never mentioned France at all. Help me on to your train of thought!

Seasonal

Post by Seasonal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:12 pm

MindBogler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 pm
Seasonal wrote:
I never said that it did. In fact I never mentioned France at all. Help me on to your train of thought!
You wrote "The US is one of the safest countries on the planet" in response to a post that the Paris is safer than almost any US city. "Safest" is a comparative term. Paris is in France. If you didn't mean to compare the US to France, or US cities to Paris, why did you respond as you did to a post on that specific subject?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:14 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:48 pm
whodidntante wrote:
:D

MindBogler

Post by MindBogler » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:29 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:12 pm
MindBogler wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 pm
Seasonal wrote:
You wrote "The US is one of the safest countries on the planet" in response to a post that the Paris is safer than almost any US city. "Safest" is a comparative term. Paris is in France. If you didn't mean to compare the US to France, or US cities to Paris, why did you respond as you did to a post on that specific subject?
I was responding to the assertion that the US is not safe. You are free to read between the lines but those thoughts are yours alone.