Another Zenni question: Progressive lens?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
acegolfer

Another Zenni question: Progressive lens?

Post by acegolfer » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:37 am

There's another thread about zenni coating but I didn't find any discussion about progressive lens. How are zenni (or goggles4u) progressive lens?

Background: I own several prescription lens eyeglasses from zenni and goggles4u. They are all nice but none are progressive (I need to take them off for smartphone/computer use). I googled some reviews but they were inconclusive. How was your experience?

(Update: To clarify, I'm asking zenni (online) progressive quality vs in-store progressive. I'm not asking progressive lens in general, as I own one from store.)
Last edited by acegolfer on Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cheyenne

Re: Another Zenni question: Progressive lens?

Post by Cheyenne » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:03 am

Do they, or any mail order glasses seller, make trifocals?

goaties

Post by goaties » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am

I find Zenni progressives are as good as progressives I once bought at Sears optical shop for much more money. Both have a very narrow field of vision--if I try to look through the outer half-inch of the lenses, it is a distorted/blurry mess. Checking my blindspot while driving requires "doing The Owl" as I painfully swivel my head enough to see through the center of the left lens. I wonder if higher-quality lenses have this problem?

kjsammy

Post by kjsammy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:43 am

Have no knowledge of zenni but I could not adjust to progressives and a neighbor could not either.
Bifocals and a pair of glasses that reside by the computer are great.
I also seem not to be able to treat eyeglasses as rare precious objects so I prefer cheap ones.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:49 am

I have several pairs of Zenni progressives, they are OK, not great. The "no-go" area, the spot that corrects for nothing in my instance, is rather large and distorting. For the price, OK

Note that I am on the runway for cataract surgery, that may have an impact.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

midareff

Post by midareff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:22 am

goaties wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:38 am
I find Zenni progressives are as good as progressives I once bought at Sears optical shop for much more money. Both have a very narrow field of vision--if I try to look through the outer half-inch of the lenses, it is a distorted/blurry mess. Checking my blindspot while driving requires "doing The Owl" as I painfully swivel my head enough to see through the center of the left lens. I wonder if higher-quality lenses have this problem?
I had an issue that was similar with the optician I had used for years. Glasses that had full range in focus to the side ends came back much narrower on new lenses. Since I have some vertebra attached to each other I can't "do the Owl" and went to America's Best and have my end to end again.

mrc

Post by mrc » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am

Progressives are tricky to buy online because you don't obtain a measure of segment height. Unlike IPD this measurement is different for any particular frame. We have had great results from Costco at 1/3 the price of the about-an-hour store.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:04 am

I bought high end progressives from Sears last year (big insurance discount allowing 1 pair every 2 years: under $200 total for frames + veralux lenses). Then bought a 2nd pair (RX sunglasses) through Zenni.

I was very hesitant to do progressives online because of the segment measurements an earlier poster mentioned. But Zenni nailed it for me. I love my sunglasses! But I do still think it's a gamble. Many are happy; others say the fit wasn't quite right.

I'll likely buy more progressive sunglasses again from them, only because I wear them a lot to the beach, on boats...all the salt air & water tears takes its toll on the frames. For $100 vs $250 at Sam's, I can relax while I'm out and not worry so much about losing or damaging them.
"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen." Mark Twain

Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:18 am

I have bought several pairs of progressives on-line at Go-Optic. I've selected Zeiss digital Trivex every time and have been very happy.

I think the issue is that the initial distortion experienced by going progressive in the first place is confused with something having gone wrong in the manufacturing of the lenses. Having bought them online adds to the uncertainty. My experience with $500+ frames / lenses has been very good and I haven't hesitated over the past 5 years or so to buy these online.

For those who are still uncertain, buy the frames you want and mark the PD on the plano lenses with a sharpie. Then send the frames back to get the lenses made specifically for the frame you are tried on and marked. This is exactly what your optometrist would have done. Easy peasy.

The mark ups on glasses are unconscionable. Opticians will soon go the way of travel agents (and financial advisors).
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

Susan1963

Post by Susan1963 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:22 am

I have purchased several pairs of regular glasses from Zenni and been very happy with the quality of the lenses and the frames. However, when I upgraded to progressives the pair I ordered from Zenni were not sharp enough to read with (fuzzy and bring on headaches when doing concentrated fine work). That said, the progressive sunglasses I bought from Zenni are more than sufficient for driving.

Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 am

I ordered some progressives from Zenni as a spare pair and they seem just as good as my main pair purchased from Costco. I am happy with them.

GaryA505

Post by GaryA505 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm using Zenni progressives. They work fine for the price and I think they're hard to beat.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:17 pm

mrc wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 am
Progressives are tricky to buy online because you don't obtain a measure of segment height. Unlike IPD this measurement is different for any particular frame. We have had great results from Costco at 1/3 the price of the about-an-hour store.
This is true.
I had decent insurance once that covered up to $250 for hardware & I ordered progressives through an HMO's optometry department, using frames I already owned - out of pocket cost to me was about $100. Part of what they did is have me put on the frames (with old lenses in them) and they put a dot on the lenses with a pen, to indicate something about where my pupils hit when I was looking straight ahead with close vision.

I later got Zenni progressives (twice now) and could tell that the field of vision on them was slightly smaller, but I adjusted within a day or two.

I think one critical factor was that I got lenses that were small - 32 mm or less (essentially almost the smallest lenses you can get with progressives). When they're that small, there isn't much variability across people as to this measurement.

Zenni is cheap, but progressive lenses are going to run $75-$100, which isn't spare change. (I got the option that was second highest in price, I believe). Still, the potential savings long-term made me decide to try them, and it works fine.

I think the difference in terms of the 'window' for vision between super high-end and cheaper progressives is quite small - a millimeter or two. That can make a difference since glasses sit so close to your eyes, but for me, wasn't crucial.

I once got glasses (non-progressive lenses) through another store and the pupillary distance wasn't correct. I tried for a week, thinking my eyes would adjust and they didn't. I took them back in and they checked them, and discovered the problem. That could be part of the problem that has occurred when people have problems adjusting to progressives.