2 days in New York City

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

2 days in New York City

Post by catdude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am

Hi gang -

I'm gonna be in New York City for a couple days late next month. Any must-see things? I'll be staying with family members in Brooklyn.

Way back in the 1980's I took several trips to NYC. Haven't been back since then. Here's some places I have in mind to perhaps visit --

-- World Trade Center site.
-- Maybe see a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show. Any good ones you can recommend? I remember there being a site in Times Square where one could get same-day half-price theatre tickets. Is that site still around?
-- Upper west side... Grant's tomb, Cathedral of St. John the Divine
-- I checked and found that the Mets will be in town. So I may see a game at Citi Field. How is Citi Field as a baseball venue?
-- IIRC there's a Museum of Broadcasting in mid-town Manhattan. Has anybody seen it? Worth checking out?
-- Museum of Natural History
-- CBS Late Show / Stephen Colbert
-- New York Stock Exchange

Any thoughts on this list, or other places you'd recommend, will be greatly appreciated!
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.

nimo956

Re: 2 days in New York City

Post by nimo956 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 am

I bought tickets, but haven't yet seen Network with Bryan Cranston. I've heard it's good and am looking forward to it, though tickets may be hard to come by.

Not sure if it's your thing, but I also really enjoy the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Met Opera, the NY Philharmonic, the Met Cloisters, and the Frick Museum.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

celia

Post by celia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 am

The Tenement Museum for which advanced reservation tickets are recommended.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 am

I highly recommend the 9-11 Museum and MOMA.

Citifield is a nice stadium and easy to get to - hopefully they are playing well, but I personally prefer Yankee Stadium :D

DWNY

Post by DWNY » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:11 am

catdude wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:06 am
-- Maybe see a Broadway (or off-Broadway) show. Any good ones you can recommend? I remember there being a site in Times Square where one could get same-day half-price theatre tickets. Is that site still around?!
TKTS is the discount tickets outlet in Times Square. There are also TKTS booths in Lincoln Center and South Street Seaport. The Times Square booth can (usually) has long lines while the other booths have much shorter lines. Also at Lincoln Center and South Street Seaport you can buy tickets for matinee, evening and next day matinee performances while at Times Square you can only buy tickets for the next performance on the day. Discounts are 20-50% plus a small surcharge. Check out the TKTS website or app.

"Chicago" is one of my favorite musicals and often at TKTS. Well worth seeing even if you've seen it before.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:42 am

Cranston is brilliant in Network. The rest of the show didn’t seem to work, even though I loved the movie it was based on. There was no attempt to situate the show in the contemporary era, so it is 1976-trapped-in-amber. Eerily prescient but feeling dated.

For my money, the best musical currently running is Come From Away. It will really make your heart sing.

Other things to do in NYC: tour Radio City Music Hall; Central Park, The Met, Guggenheim, MoMA, Jazz at Lincoln Center, Iridium, Sardis. There are tours available that take you to sites used in famous movies. Staten Island Ferry. Wall Street.

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:30 am

The Play that Goes Wrong. Off Broadway, often available at Tkts. Also Come From Away.

Stock Exchange no longer does tours, sadly.

If you're in Brooklyn, have Juniors Cheesecake, corner of DeKalb and Flatbush.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:32 am

If you only have a couple of days, any of your choices would work. If you have some spare leisurely time with good weather, try the Highline and/or Central Park.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:20 am

Spent a few days there last summer near Columbus Circle (lower edge of Central Park). This question will mostly depend on your interests. I stayed in Manhattan and didn't venture into the other boroughs.

-Museum of Modern Art
-Natural History Museum
-9/11 Memorial (bring tissues)
-WTC/downtown
-St. Patrick's Cathedral
-Grab coffee and walk thru Central Park
-Countless bars & restaurants

Tips:
-Learn the subways. Easier than I thought and cheap and easy to get around. (There's apps that'll guide you based on location or area you're seeking.)
-Carry a light, portable phone charger if possible. I was away from the hotel all day on foot and phone would phone be close to dying by late afternoon.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:09 am

Hi. If you want something different instead of seeing a Broadway Show (they are mostly very good though), check out this weird performance of Macbeth. It's based in a hotel kind of building and the actors will perform scenes in the different locations - you walk around to the different places. It's all edgy and guaranteed to be more memorable than some random show. You have to wear a mask like in that Tom Cruise sex movie.

https://mckittrickhotel.com/

If you are going to be out at night, NY has a lot of "hidden bars". For instance, there is one where the entrance is hidden in a phone booth, in a hot dog stand. They are generally not worth hanging around for long inside, but interesting to visit as a weird NY thing.

https://www.wallpaper.com/travel/best-n ... peakeasies

The touristy stuff mentioned above is generally good, but I'd say #1 thing is World Trade Center, tower and memorials. I also like Natural History Museum, but you can skip everything else and just visit dinosaurs on top floor and the big whale in the basement. Protip: there is a side entrance in the subway station where the line is much shorter than the main entrance. Met museum is also pretty fantastic.

However, the gallery that to me, was most impressive is Frick Collection. It's smaller than the main museums in the city. However, you then realize that the entire huge estate was some guy's house. That was the only place when I was like, wtf, how can this exist? Even in today's billionaire world, this stuff was unbelievable.

Other than that, you can also visit some very famous restaurants like Eleven Madison, Per Se, Masa, and so on. They are expensive, but I remember every single visit to such places. If not those, then anything with say, 2 Michelin star is still quite special.

nexesn

Post by nexesn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:18 am

If you want to experience a "New York thing" this production group is amazing! It's immersive theater. You do walk up and down steps. But, really, really neat. There are only 15 audience members per show. I saw Sleep No More, which was good. But, I personally enjoyed this one way more!

Then She Fell by Third Rail Projects

https://thenshefell.com

If you go to Central Park, the Robert, at the Museum of Art and Design has a great view of the park. You can just go up for a drink.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:24 am

If you want a great view of the city and the Statue of Liberty, take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. It is free. Just ride it in one direction, then catch the next one back to Manhattan.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Thanks, folks, for your responses. You've given me some good ideas. Keep them coming!

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm

Explore the new Hudson Yards.

John Doe 123

Post by John Doe 123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 pm

My wife and I went to the Colbert Late show last year. It was free and a neat experience but totally not worth time commitment required. They want a packed house for every show, so you must get in line outside the Ed Sullivan Theater several hours before show time. If you don't show up, then your spot will be given to folks on stand-by who show up in line on the day of the show.

Overall it ate up about 5-6 hours of our day, and about 3 of those hours were spent waiting in line. My wife was pregnant at the time and the smell of hot garbage that is all too familiar on the streets of NYC did not improve her experience waiting in line. I will never do it again.

The theater itself is pretty beautiful. They had a "warm up" comedian come out and perform for about 20 minutes before the show, then Stephen Colbert came out for about 15 minutes and took some questions from the audience, and then the band comes out and plays for a short while before they start the show.

If you only have a couple of days in NYC then this is only worth the time commitment required if you are a huge fan of the show.

I have experienced several of the options that you listed in the OP, and my recommendation would be to visit the museum at the site of the World Trade Center. Very powerful and somber place and takes about 2 hours IIRC.

phil64

Post by phil64 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:26 pm

If you're a baseball fan Citi Field is great. Fan friendly unlike our crosstown corporate neighbors in the Bronx. The High-line is also great and you could actually start at Ground Zero grab a city bike and ride up to the southern entrance of the high-line and walk it North where it ends you grab the 7 train which will take you right to CitiField. Wrap up your day with an ice cold craft beer and some Shake Shack while the sun sets all while enjoying the Amazins. Win or lose still a great night.

The city has really come a long way with it's bike paths, you can ride all the way from Battery Park up to the GW Bridge without dealing with any traffic. Staten Island Ferry is right down there would really make for a filled day. If you like craft beer, Brooklyn is really starting to reclaim some of its brewing history and have opened up a ton of great little breweries. Maybe not a ton but a nice start.

Enjoy the trip

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Book of Mormon is a great show if you aren't easily offended. The Lion King is more family friendly and the costumes are just spectacular.

A few other of my favorites:
- Natural history museum
- Intrepid museum
- eating pizza in Brooklyn
- Brooklyn in general, see hipsters in their natural habitat in Bushwick
- jazz club
- WTC 9/11 museum is exceptional

Never tried to sit in on a taping of one of the late night shows but that sounds like a lot of fun. Mets game sounds fun, as well.

eastwayroad

Post by eastwayroad » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm

For free if you're nearby, main branch of the NY Public Library (5th Ave & 42nd St) beautifully restored building.
And behind the library on 6th Ave is lovely Bryant Park.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:58 pm

eastwayroad wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:47 pm
For free if you're nearby, main branch of the NY Public Library (5th Ave & 42nd St) beautifully restored building.
And behind the library on 6th Ave is lovely Bryant Park.
+1. Also, a free docent-led tour of the library (first-come, first-served, as noted in the schedule available via the link below).

https://www.nypl.org/events/tours/schwarzman

Bryant Park has lovely outdoor seating (free), where you can sit and eat (either bring your own food or purchase from one of the nearby food vendors (or from the Whole Foods located on SW corner of 42nd & 6th (opposite the park).))
Last edited by rjbraun on Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:24 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned wandering around Chinatown, Little Italy, and Greenwich Village, all pretty close to each other and a reasonable walk on a nice day. If you're in "The City", gotta go to time square just to see it in person.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Post by 123 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:25 pm

There's a current play on Broadway "Hamilton" that many people say is good.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 pm

nimo956 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 am
I bought tickets, but haven't yet seen Network with Bryan Cranston. I've heard it's good and am looking forward to it, though tickets may be hard to come by.

Not sure if it's your thing, but I also really enjoy the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Met Opera, the NY Philharmonic, the Met Cloisters, and the Frick Museum.
the Cloisters are great. most tourists have not heard of it and won't bother to go even if they have

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:56 pm

You can go to the library and see the original Winnie the Pooh stuffed animals:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/new-y ... oll-613085

Determined

Post by Determined » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:01 pm

My daughter goes to college in Manhattan. She loves the MoMa and Little Italy. She saw The Ferryman on Broadway last night. It has stellar reviews.

ohai

Post by ohai » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Better visit Little Italy while it still exists. The neighborhood is being steadily eroded by Chinatown. Italian immigrants are not a thing any more! Pretty soon, all that will be left are overpriced lobster tails at Ferrara.

Caligal

Post by Caligal » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Just went to the Colbert Show (you do need tickets and it does take a chunk out of your day), the Highline, WTC/museum, walked over Brooklyn Bridge and walked miles and miles a day in NYC last year. Many previous visits included the Met, Natural History, MoMa, Guggenheim, Frick, Cloisters, Central Park, Lower East Side (tenement museum a must!), Broadway, E/W/Greenwich Village, Chelsea, upper W Side, upper E side - I love NY! Agree with all posters above, so nothing to add other than -

Try the brisket ragu at Eataly in lower Manhattan (prefer to the busier and crowded one up near Chelsea)! Best thing we ate on this trip. Just a block south of the WTC site. Oh, and corned beef at 2nd Avenue Deli.

The subway is way way easier to use than you may think and way much cheaper than Uber or a cab. Faster to all locations as well. Download the apps Citymapper, Tkts (the kiosk that sells 1/2 price Bway shows), and Time Out NY for help getting around and finding out what's happening.

Have fun!

PS - Catdude, our two furballs love your avatar...

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Another highly recommended Broadway show is To Kill a Mockingbird. I’m surprised no one has mentioned going to the top of the Empire State Building and/or 30 Rock. It’s been years since I’ve done so not sure if it’s worth the money now.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm

This site will give you a general idea of what shows are available (and times it is live):
https://www.tdf.org/nyc/81/TKTS-Live

Chinatown for the food and the general vibe ( though it is gradually becoming more
upscale -- but right now still more like it's traditional "role").

As mentioned earlier, Little Italy --
IL Cortille for higher end Italian
Puglias traditional red sauce Italian -- fairly inexpensive for LIttle Italy

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm

catdude wrote:
The museum under the site is just fantastic. Go and plan on being there for a few hours.

I was fortunate enough to visit the NYSE when you could actually go inside and visit the trading floor. Now, not so much. Go and take your picture out front, and with the bull, and move on.

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 pm

Thank you all again! I really appreciate all the tips I'm getting. I've bookmarked this thread so I can refer to it often as the date for my trip gets near....

One thing's for sure -- I'm gonna forget about seeing the Colbert show live. I like his show but not enough to spend 3 or 4 hours waiting in line.
Caligal wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:38 pm
PS - Catdude, our two furballs love your avatar...
Caligal, thanks for your kind words! Both kitties pictured were/are rescue cats that I adopted from a shelter where I volunteered. The one on the left has gone to his reward, i.e., he died of kidney failure last summer. The cat on the right is much beloved by friends and family... she's really cute but tough as nails. Long story short, she's used up 2 or 3 of her 9 lives...

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:55 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:06 pm
catdude wrote:
The museum under the site is just fantastic. Go and plan on being there for a few hours.
If the museum you're talking about is the Museum of American Finance, it's closed and trying to find a place to move to.
https://www.moaf.org/

I agree with almost everything recommended and have been a tourist in NYC multiple times. There's nothing I've been to that approaches the 9/11 Memorial Museum for it's impact on me. https://www.911memorial.org/museum

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:57 pm

Almost forgot, the new High Line - which connects to the new Hudson Yards (just opened
and currently mobbed).

https://www.thehighline.org/

https://www.hudsonyardsnewyork.com/

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 pm

There is this I thought you might like:
https://www.catcafebk.com

The Brooklyn Cat Cafe
76 Montague St, Brooklyn, NY

Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:15 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:01 pm
There is this I thought you might like:
https://www.catcafebk.com

The Brooklyn Cat Cafe
76 Montague St, Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the link... how did you know I'd be interested in this? :beer

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:43 am

One more.. the Morgan Library. It's JP Morgan's fabulous home, his library ( two Gutenberg bibles!) and wonderful changing exhibits of art, letters and books. Currently showing is a great deal of Tolkein material.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:36 am

nimo956 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 am

I saw Network. Note there are MOSTLY terrible seats in this theater. Unless you are in center orchestra, likely you can't see the entire stage.
We love Bryan Cranston and the show is a great story, but the theater is among the worst in NYC (and there are many with obstructed view seating).
Also many complain the seating is cramped if you are tall or not very thin. Our side orchestra seats were OK in that respect, but still obstructed view. People higher up complain of cramped seating.

Cloisters are very nice, I agree with that.

There is an AMAZING exhibit now showing the history of Andy Warhol's work at the Whitney Museum.
There hasn't been such an extensive exhibit of his work in one place since 30+ years ago,
This is a must see once in a lifetime exhibit.
This is downtown, also right around the corner from a pop-up museum from Disney full of art featuring Mickey Mouse !

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 am

stickman731 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 am
I highly recommend the 9-11 Museum and MOMA.

Citifield is a nice stadium and easy to get to - hopefully they are playing well, but I personally prefer Yankee Stadium :D
+1 Citifield is a nice play to spend the day...unless you like to see a winning team :-)

bck63

Post by bck63 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:05 am

catdude wrote:
-- I checked and found that the Mets will be in town. So I may see a game at Citi Field. How is Citi Field as a baseball venue?
Citi Field is a great ballpark. And as a lifelong Mets fan, I can say "Let's Go Mets!"

Enjoy your trip to NYC.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:43 pm

ny_rn wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm
...and check out the Vessel, which opened just yesterday. Saw a report on the morning TV news today or yesterday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_(structure)
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 pm

22twain wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:43 pm

...and check out the Vessel, which opened just yesterday. Saw a report on the morning TV news today or yesterday.

a.k.a. The Giant Shawarma

lol

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 pm

check out these places:

two pizza places (brooklyn)

http://robertaspizza.com/

http://www.saraghina.com/

Another cat place (LES)

https://www.meowparlour.com/

two LES museum

https://www.mocanyc.org/

https://www.italianamericanmuseum.org/

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:25 pm

22twain wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:43 pm
ny_rn wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:12 pm

The "7" train extension at the Hudson yard station, when you go down the long escalator, the pitch is like 50 degree angle you feel like falling down.