Tesla Model Y

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

Re: Tesla Model Y

Post by 4nursebee » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:40 pm

dustinst22 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:15 pm
4nursebee wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm

What I could find is cargo space
Model Y is 66 cubic feet
Rav4 is 35.6-38.4 cubic feet.

I'm assuming this is with seats folded down. Rav4 is 70 cubic feet with seats down.
Yes, I did not work hard enough, went with the first search result
4nursebee

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:54 pm

Once they get production going they will be selling a million of these cars a year just in the US

FireSekr

Post by FireSekr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:21 pm

emoore wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:54 pm
Once they get production going they will be selling a million of these cars a year just in the US
Right.

They don’t even have a backlog on any of their current vehicles. You can pretty much get any of them with no wait. They have been trying to shift inventory and production to China due to lackluster demand in the US. Since the Model Y is basically a model 3 on stilts, and they probably will be significantly delayed like every Tesla model, I doubt demand will be that strong.

Also need to factor how many other EVs are coming into market from various brands who know how to provide after sales support/maintenance and build cars with decent paint, small panel gaps, and good quality interior fit and finish. I understand the styling of Tesla’s interiors are love it or hate it, but even if you love it, the fit and finish and material quality is bargain basement at best.

I had a reservation on a model 3. It drove well and that was about it. The seats were garbage compared to Audi/BMW/Mercedes, even compared to Nissan actually. The touchscreen interface looks good and is well laid out but is a distraction to use while driving compared to Audi MMI and BMW iDrive which are more intuitive and require less time with your eyes off the road. The speedometer etc is on the center screeen on the left side which I’m sure one could get used to but again, eyes off the road to find crucial information. Had they offered a heads up display, this problem would not exist. I ended up going with a bmw 5 instead.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:01 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:40 pm
dustinst22 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:15 pm
4nursebee wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:32 pm

What I could find is cargo space
Model Y is 66 cubic feet
Rav4 is 35.6-38.4 cubic feet.

I'm assuming this is with seats folded down. Rav4 is 70 cubic feet with seats down.
Yes, I did not work hard enough, went with the first search result
Ugh looks like Toyota is having their own production problems. 2019 RAV4 Hybrid is now late Spring 2019

https://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochur ... llline.pdf

Or maybe the tough winter is making them delay in order to sell more ICE SUVs(?). Either way, we wait.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 pm

I placed an order for a red LR AWD.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:47 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:48 pm
Congrats! You will love it!

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 pm
EHEngineer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:28 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm
I really really really want to like Teslas and there is almost no chance our next vehicle is ICE, but nothing is going to convince me to spend more than twice as much on a car that has worse quality control than my bare bones economy car. My neighbor is much the same as most Tesla owners, he didn't think the issues that were unacceptable to my wife and I were a problem; and if they aren't a problem for him, I guess they aren't a problem.
My "fit and finish" expectations posed a problem for me getting a Tesla too. I have experienced various squeakes and rattles with friends' Teslas, and I find them unacceptable. Right now that's the way Tesla makes cars, and you have to be prepared to deal with more of that stuff than you would in the better made ice cars. But the cars are a joy to drive. If you like smooth & resposive electric power and autopilot, there is no substitute (for now). Just set your expectations accordingly so you don't end up regretful.

I believe tesla will get better as competition increases.
I’m not saying that it’s the entire story, but the rumble and vibration of a large ICE can mask many noises. The human ear is not an unbiased witness.
Not sure what the sound of an ICE engine has to do with poor paint, rust issues, body panel fitment, center consoles that randomly pop open, poor interior stitching, etc., but other than that you have a valid point.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:03 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:26 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:43 pm
EHEngineer wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:28 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 pm
I really really really want to like Teslas and there is almost no chance our next vehicle is ICE, but nothing is going to convince me to spend more than twice as much on a car that has worse quality control than my bare bones economy car. My neighbor is much the same as most Tesla owners, he didn't think the issues that were unacceptable to my wife and I were a problem; and if they aren't a problem for him, I guess they aren't a problem.
My "fit and finish" expectations posed a problem for me getting a Tesla too. I have experienced various squeakes and rattles with friends' Teslas, and I find them unacceptable. Right now that's the way Tesla makes cars, and you have to be prepared to deal with more of that stuff than you would in the better made ice cars. But the cars are a joy to drive. If you like smooth & resposive electric power and autopilot, there is no substitute (for now). Just set your expectations accordingly so you don't end up regretful.
I believe tesla will get better as competition increases.
I’m not saying that it’s the entire story, but the rumble and vibration of a large ICE can mask many noises. The human ear is not an unbiased witness.
Not sure what the sound of an ICE engine has to do with poor paint, rust issues, body panel fitment, center consoles that randomly pop open, poor interior stitching, etc., but other than that you have a valid point.
The post I was responding to was about squeaks and rattles, so I responded to that specific point. But, as always, one holds oneself open to snark when discussing Tesla.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

matjen

Post by matjen » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Tesla has had multiple rounds of layoffs in the past year but now is asking for volunteers to help deliver cars. A month ago they gutted that department. This is a 15 year old company...

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-a ... ter-2019-3

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/09/tes ... las-vegas/

Meanwhile upthread we have people talking about 1 million sales of a car that doesn’t even really exist, about a company that is laser focused, and about a company that will kill the dealership model. Really, unbelievable. Many, many things will have to fall in place before anyone is driving large numbers of Model Ys. I have no idea why you would give them your money. You could have bought a well spec’d Model 3 within the first quarter it was offered without a reservation. Suckers play. Fool me once...
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 am

fareastwarriors wrote:
Ouch! Red is a $2500 option.

The quoted price for a LR Y of $46700 is really $51000, because the listed price assumes $4300 in "6-year estimated gas savings."

I suppose Tesla fans research the heck out of their purchase, but this seems deceptive on its face.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am

matjen wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm
Tesla has had multiple rounds of layoffs in the past year but now is asking for volunteers to help deliver cars. A month ago they gutted that department. This is a 15 year old company...

Meanwhile upthread we have people talking about 1 million sales of a car that doesn’t even really exist, about a company that is laser focused, and about a company that will kill the dealership model. Really, unbelievable. Many, many things will have to fall in place before anyone is driving large numbers of Model Ys. I have no idea why you would give them your money. You could have bought a well spec’d Model 3 within the first quarter it was offered without a reservation. Suckers play. Fool me once...
I kinda thought this kind of post was what LadyGeek mentioned when asking the community to keep the discussion actionable.

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am

mrc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:36 am
fareastwarriors wrote:

The quoted price for a LR Y of $46700 is really $51000, because the listed price assumes $4300 in "6-year estimated gas savings."

I suppose Tesla fans research the heck out of their purchase, but this seems deceptive on its face.
Yeah 2500 upcharge for color is a lot to swallow. It is intended to be market pricing, which makes sense from a game theory perspective. Dealers do this also. However, the difference is that the pricing is intended to be upfront and transparent. As opposed to dealers who will just upcharge depending on verbal negotiations. The bad negotiators subsidize the good ones I guess. It is not perfect.

Regarding gas savings, it is a true factor. Real money.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 am

When calculating fuel savings, always throw the default numbers used in calculators out the window and use your own real numbers. I used the model S calculator a number of times for fun and found their savings numbers, using their defaults to be 10 times what my actual savings would be. Easy enough to take out a pen and paper and do the math with my own gas price, mpg of my car, electric rate. I will admit that I would save some money on gas if I sold my $2000 Ford Fusion and bought myself a $90k Model S.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 am
When calculating fuel savings, always throw the default numbers used in calculators out the window and use your own real numbers. I used the model S calculator a number of times for fun and found their savings numbers, using their defaults to be 10 times what my actual savings would be. Easy enough to take out a pen and paper and do the math with my own gas price, mpg of my car, electric rate. I will admit that I would save some money on gas if I sold my $2000 Ford Fusion and bought myself a $90k Model S.
I am not sure of the math they use either. However, I keep track of all my receipts. In January we spent $142 on fuel, and $250 in February. Five year fuel savings could well exceed their numbers (8520-15000 saved as we have solar).

I think the model Y could be a next car for us, especially if a tow bar and/or roof rack was possible.
4nursebee

FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:50 am

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:14 am
I am not sure of the math they use either. However, I keep track of all my receipts. In January we spent $142 on fuel, and $250 in February. Five year fuel savings could well exceed their numbers (8520-15000 saved as we have solar).

I think the model Y could be a next car for us, especially if a tow bar and/or roof rack was possible.
Admittedly, we would have to subtract out the cost of electricity, but it is real savings. I agree one has to do their own math. Someone who lives in an apartment and relies on external charging would be different than someone with a time of use plan and different from someone who gets subsidized charging at work or at community chargers.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 pm

mrc wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:

It's okay. It's not our first Tesla in the family.

When you're in the market for a $50-100k car, you might as well get the one you like... I know we are more than blessed to have that option.

We are slowly becoming a Tesla family like how we became an Apple family except Teslas require a few more zeros to the price. :-(

mrc

Post by mrc » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm

fareastwarriors wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 pm
mrc wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:

It's okay. It's not our first Tesla in the family. We are slowly becoming a Tesla like how we became an Apple family except Teslas require a few more zeros to the price. :-(
LOL

Apple iMac Pro: $1500†

† Price above includes $5000 savings from healthcare (no ER visits after punching out your Windows machines) and court costs savings (that box just needed throwing out a window).

Your price: $6500
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 pm

I don't know if it's fair to compare Tesla to Apple. I know if I happen to be at the mall and my iPhone has an issue and I just pop into an Apple store, they'll speak to me in a condescending way because I don't have an appointment and tell me to leave the store like I'm 5. With a Tesla, I could just pop into a service center and have them quickly check.......oh.......never mind.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:58 pm
fareastwarriors wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:51 pm
mrc wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:

It's okay. It's not our first Tesla in the family. We are slowly becoming a Tesla like how we became an Apple family except Teslas require a few more zeros to the price. :-(
LOL

Apple iMac Pro: $1500†

† Price above includes $5000 savings from healthcare (no ER visits after punching out your Windows machines) and court costs savings (that box just needed throwing out a window).

Your price: $6500
Yes, I get it. They are getting some heat for their pricing practice though.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanohnsma ... d98743675a

It's not a fair comparison to Apple either.

btenny

Post by btenny » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm

I looked into buying a Tesla Model 3. It seems like an OK car but it just did not work for us. Cost were crazy and reliability was unknown for anyone who travels much and is retired and lives a snow bird lifestyle.

The costs were $55K for the car plus $2.5K times 2 for two garage chargers. So $60K for a car with a cheap interior and no instrument panel and low reliability. Plus no one knows how the car will react to long storage periods of non use.

So I bought a nice low mileage used Lincoln for $31K. It is plush and fun to drive and quiet and can be stored easily for months. Oh and it takes about 5 minutes to fill up with gas......

Good Luck to those that buy one. I hope it works our for you....

matjen

Post by matjen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:37 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:31 am
matjen wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:43 pm

I kinda thought this kind of post was what LadyGeek mentioned when asking the community to keep the discussion actionable.
Huh? It is absolutely related to the topic and actionable. I suggest not putting $$$ down today for a SINGLE mock up of a car not certain to exist in the future and if it does exist you can buy shortly after the real car is being produced. That is actionable. For instance, Would someone dare claim that holding off on investing in a new interesting ETF until it had enough assets and liquidity be non-actionable?

Has Tesla announced how many orders they have?
Last edited by matjen on Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matjen

Post by matjen » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:43 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am
mrc wrote:
fareastwarriors wrote:

Yeah 2500 upcharge for color is a lot to swallow. It is intended to be market pricing, which makes sense from a game theory perspective. Dealers do this also. However, the difference is that the pricing is intended to be upfront and transparent. As opposed to dealers who will just upcharge depending on verbal negotiations. The bad negotiators subsidize the good ones I guess. It is not perfect.

Regarding gas savings, it is a true factor. Real money.
Pricing is not up front and transparent with Tesla though paint pricing is with dealers. You can go on the company sites and see the charges. Dealers don’t control paint as far as I know.

Now with Tesla you have Musk offering all kinds of incentives with fake deadlines to pull demand forward. Unlimited supercharging deals recently and literally this month/now cutting prices with a deadline then extending deadline a few days. He is blaming his systems for the reason. Yeah sure. This isn’t transparent (not to mention the obvious stock pump). He should have one of those flailing inflatable men on the website. Everything must go! Price Reduction! LOL.
Due to unusually high volume, Tesla was unable to process all orders by midnight on Monday, so the slight price rise on vehicles is postponed to midnight Wednesday
Last edited by matjen on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm

A fancy tsla charge station is not required.

I bet a dryer outlet would do well enough.
4nursebee

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:13 pm

You can get about 30 miles per hour of charge with a dryer outlet in the garage (NEMA 14-50). I've had a wall connector as I like the aesthetics, but its completely unnecessary.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:24 pm

BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm
4nursebee wrote:
You can get about 30 miles per hour of charge with a dryer outlet in the garage (NEMA 14-50). I've had a wall connector as I like the aesthetics, but its completely unnecessary.
I installed a Tesla wall charger on a 100A line, paying $500+ for the Tesla charger (I don’t remember precisely) plus installation (a lot less than btenny’s electrician apparently charges). I can charge my X at 72A. Wizard.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:38 pm

btenny wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:16 pm
I looked into buying a Tesla Model 3. It seems like an OK car but it just did not work for us. Cost were crazy and reliability was unknown for anyone who travels much and is retired and lives a snow bird lifestyle.

The costs were $55K for the car plus $2.5K times 2 for two garage chargers. So $60K for a car with a cheap interior and no instrument panel and low reliability. Plus no one knows how the car will react to long storage periods of non use.

So I bought a nice low mileage used Lincoln for $31K. It is plush and fun to drive and quiet and can be stored easily for months. Oh and it takes about 5 minutes to fill up with gas......

Good Luck to those that buy one. I hope it works our for you....
I am glad you came to a rational decision that works for you. An EV, and especially a Tesla, is not for everyone.

BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:34 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:24 pm
BionicBillWalsh wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:55 pm
4nursebee wrote:
I installed a Tesla wall charger on a 100A line, paying $500+ for the Tesla charger (I don’t remember precisely) plus installation (a lot less than btenny’s electrician apparently charges). I can charge my X at 72A. Wizard.
The price of the charger itself has dropped by $250 in the past two years. They used to charge $750. I know, I've had three of them installed (at the old price).

My Model S and Model X both have dual chargers that are no longer available. They both charge at 80 amps and get about 60 miles per hour of charge.

In reality, a 14-50 outlet installed for $200 would have sufficed for me.
Saltwater has an amazing ability to wash away many of life’s troubles

anoop

Post by anoop » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

Thesaints wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:45 pm
BMW charges $500 for paint and you get an actual dashboard, not just an iPad and 4 screws.
They also want $45K for a car that goes about 100 miles on a charge.