Tesla Model Y

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cusetownusa

Re: Tesla Model Y

Post by cusetownusa »

I have been following the Model Y release. I like it a lot and there is a good chance this will be my next car when I am ready to replace my current ride. Could be a couple of years away unfortunately.
Last edited by cusetownusa on Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

randomguy wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:54 pm The current estimates are that the battery packs in Teslas will be good for 250-500k miles. That is going to cover your 12-15 years and is up in the range of where you should be worry about ICE engine failure. That being said I bet those estimates make some assumptions about usage cases and weather conditions. The few really high mileage teslas seem to replace the batteries a bit more often (most seem to be at the 175k or so range) but those area also under very abnormal usages cases (i.e. people driving 80k miles/year).
Battery life span will vary by use habit and climate.

Lithium ion batteries wear due charge-discharge cycles and due to calendar aging.

Charge-discharge wear is worse at lower temperatures and at higher rates of discharging or especially charging (super-charging regularly hurts your battery life, and Tesla has quietly started throttling super-charging for those who use it frequently). Full cycles are also worse on a per-kWh basis than partial cycles.

Calendar aging is worse at higher temperatures and at higher states of charge.

If you want to really optimize your battery life, you could stick to 20-60% state of charge and never user a charger faster than 40A. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get well over 1/2 million miles from a battery pack that way, neglecting the aging factor. But that's not the way most people will want to use their cars.

The overall experience so far based primarily on cycling (because most of the Teslas on the road are pretty young) is good. There's a few outliers, but most people shouldn't stress too much about battery life, in my opinion, other than to save supercharging for road trips or other cases where it's genuinely inconvenient to wait:
https://electrek.co/2018/04/14/tesla-ba ... tion-data/
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

DanMahowny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am The Model Y will never happen. Never. Happen. Tesla is plunging toward bankruptcy; it's inevitable.

My short position looks better than ever.
Would anyone else like an update from Dan now that the Model Y is being delivered, ahead of schedule?
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

eye.surgeon wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:51 am
DanMahowny wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:33 am The Model Y will never happen. Never. Happen. Tesla is plunging toward bankruptcy; it's inevitable.
My short position looks better than ever.
Would anyone else like an update from Dan now that the Model Y is being delivered, ahead of schedule?
Now, now, now, I understand the impulse, but gloating isn’t a good look. As I’ve said before, other than his Tesla position, Dan was a nice guy, and I hope he survived financially intact.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
matjen

Post by matjen »

jdb wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:45 pm
I miss matjen. It was so much fun. Please return so this thread gets more interesting. And good luck everyone.
I'm back jdb!! I was actually in SE Asia for 6 weeks from Late January through March. Missed all the action and the bloom was off the rose by the time I returned and, as you may imagine, have had other concerns as of late. Checked into Bogleheads to review some tax loss harvesting issues and now getting notifications again. I want you to know that a friend texted me during the trip to tease about the TSLA run up and I put another imaginary short on February 3rd. I stress, imaginary. The important point though is that I was teased! :D

As to the Model Y. I haven't done any digging but I must assume it is being put together on the Model 3 line, no? In other words for every Model Y produced there is one less Model 3? Is that generally correct?
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
marcwd

Post by marcwd »

matjen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:31 pm
I miss matjen. It was so much fun. Please return so this thread gets more interesting. And good luck everyone.
I'm back jdb!! I was actually in SE Asia for 6 weeks from Late January through March. Missed all the action and the bloom was off the rose by the time I returned and, as you may imagine, have had other concerns as of late. Checked into Bogleheads to review some tax loss harvesting issues and now getting notifications again. I want you to know that a friend texted me during the trip to tease about the TSLA run up and I put another imaginary short on February 3rd. I stress, imaginary. The important point though is that I was teased! :D

As to the Model Y. I haven't done any digging but I must assume it is being put together on the Model 3 line, no? In other words for every Model Y produced there is one less Model 3? Is that generally correct?
No, not correct.

https://electrek.co/2019/09/10/tesla-ne ... roduction/
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Welcome back matjen. :sharebeer
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

marcwd wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:15 pm
matjen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:31 pm As to the Model Y. I haven't done any digging but I must assume it is being put together on the Model 3 line, no? In other words for every Model Y produced there is one less Model 3? Is that generally correct?
No, not correct.

Four lines already for the S, X, and 3. It seems like it makes sense for a dedicated line for the different variant, even if they share quite a few components.

I wanted to note that matjen's question was about a supply side consideration. There is a demand side consideration, too: the overall demand for $50,000 EV's (considering the rough average selling price, not the minimum) is still unclear. More model choices will very likely improve demand, but I tend to expect a lesser degree of what we saw with the introduction of the 3: the demand for the S and X dropped significantly.

So maybe we'll see Tesla mid-level EV demand evolve from roughly 350,000 per year (4Q19 Model 3 rate - I've treated sales as not supply-constrained for example purposes only) to 450,000 per year, but 200,000 of those are the Model Y, so the Model 3 demand drops by 100,000.

I could very easily be wrong, though.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Welcome back and hope you and your family are safe.
matjen

Post by matjen »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:08 pm
Welcome back and hope you and your family are safe.
Thank you and same to you. And thank you Tomato. Given my DW is an ER Doc in a major city its gonna be awhile before we are entirely safe. Crazy times.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Welcome back matjen. Looking forward to the repartee. And you are right, the recent events put into proper perspective the comments on electric cars and markets. Stay safe.
matjen

Post by matjen »

marcwd wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:15 pm
No, not correct.

Actually, I think I am correct (as are you). I asked a guy who follows this stuff much more closely and his immediate reply was Tesla built a new BIW line for the Model Y and then it goes to GA4. All the articles talk about the BIW line being built. BIW stands for Body in White.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_in_white

"Body in white (BIW) refers to the stage in the automobile manufacturing in which a car body's components have been joined together, using one or a combination of different techniques: welding (spot, MIG/MAG), riveting, clinching, bonding, laser brazing etc. BIW is termed before painting and before the motor, chassis sub-assemblies, or trim (glass, door locks/handles, seats, upholstery, electronics, etc.) have been assembled in the frame structure."

But there is a bunch more that needs to be done before car is finished. And that is being done on GA4 which is the tent where the Model 3 is assembled as well. This article makes a brief mention of it.

Tesla Builds Its One Millionth EV, and It's a Model Y
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3134 ... r-model-y/

" It looks as though the vehicle was produced in one of Tesla's tent-style buildings that were erected when it was trying to keep up with the growing demand for production of the Model 3."
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Saw two at local sales/service location. They looked good overall. Sat in the car, easier to get in and out of. Similar leg room, I think more head room. Bigger frunk and trunk. A better auto option overall but not gonna trade up, need to keep some semblance of being a BH.

If you are in the market for a new car, take a look.
Pale Blue Dot
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

4nursebee wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am Saw two at local sales/service location. They looked good overall. Sat in the car, easier to get in and out of. Similar leg room, I think more head room. Bigger frunk and trunk. A better auto option overall but not gonna trade up, need to keep some semblance of being a BH.

I’ve been seeing them in the local Costco parking lot. Beautiful. Have not sat inside. I would love to trade up, but I’m too frugal to upgrade from my 3, “just because.” They should sell a ton of these.
hillman

Post by hillman »

Just read an article regarding an increase in the cost of the full self-driving add-on.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/20/2126 ... e-increase
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

4nursebee wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:59 am Saw two at local sales/service location. They looked good overall. Sat in the car, easier to get in and out of. Similar leg room, I think more head room. Bigger frunk and trunk. A better auto option overall but not gonna trade up, need to keep some semblance of being a BH.

We're in the market for a new car. I thought we were set on getting an Outback but inventory has dried up = no deals. With the recent price cuts for the model 3, it is in the same price range as the Outback which is kind a crazy. My idea vehicle would be the Standard Range Model Y but unsure when it will be available. If money wasn't the issue, I would get the Long Range for $8000 more. Performance is out of the question.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

I’m 6 foot 5 inches (196cm).

Will a Tesla be big enough for me?
crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber »

harrychan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 pm

We're in the market for a new car. I thought we were set on getting an Outback but inventory has dried up = no deals. With the recent price cuts for the model 3, it is in the same price range as the Outback which is kind a crazy. My idea vehicle would be the Standard Range Model Y but unsure when it will be available. If money wasn't the issue, I would get the Long Range for $8000 more. Performance is out of the question.
We debated between a 3 and Outback last fall. Chose the Tesla and no regrets. At the time, after tax incentives, it was about $5k extra to go with the M3. I can’t imagine buying a non-EV for our next vehicle.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

crumbgrabber wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:29 pm
harrychan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:33 pm

We debated between a 3 and Outback last fall. Chose the Tesla and no regrets. At the time, after tax incentives, it was about $5k extra to go with the M3. I can’t imagine buying a non-EV for our next vehicle.
That's awesome. I'm pretty much set on getting a Tesla. With the stay at home orders, I haven't had to go to an office in months. Even post covid, my current role allows me to be very flexible. If I had an urgent need for a car, I would get the 3 without any hesitation. But we don't. We're tempted to wait for the Y standard range but not sure we can wait 1+ year.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

minimalistmarc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:56 pm I’m 6 foot 5 inches (196cm).

The 3 may be tight for you but you will easily fit in a Y, S or X. Check out some youtube videos of the respective car reviews.
SpaceX

Post by SpaceX »

After watching the launch today, I think I might just purchase a Tesla vehicle. I was hoping that the prices would come down considerably, however, when other competitor models come to market in the next 2-3 years.
minimalistmarc

Post by minimalistmarc »

harrychan wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 pm
minimalistmarc wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:56 pm I’m 6 foot 5 inches (196cm).

The 3 may be tight for you but you will easily fit in a Y, S or X. Check out some youtube videos of the respective car reviews.
Thanks
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Of course the electric power is a big selling point for me but the self driving and continuous software enhancements are really what sell me on this car. When is the last time you bought a car and it actually got better over time? Right now it seems to be Tesla leading the way and everyone else way behind. It's like the big manufactures are so entrenched in the way they've always done it, they would rather lose than change. When it comes time for me to buy my next car, it's going to be really hard not to buy a Tesla.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Iirc, my X is around 4 years old and I just got an upgrade last night.

ETA: there’s something to be said for not knowing what “year” your car is.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

SpaceX wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:25 am After watching the launch today, I think I might just purchase a Tesla vehicle. I was hoping that the prices would come down considerably, however, when other competitor models come to market in the next 2-3 years.
Seems strange that watching the launch would get you to buy a Tesla (SpaceX's achievements, while impressive, don't make a Tesla any better of a car; despite the Elon Musk link, they are two entirely separate companies), but Tesla just dropped prices on all models except the Y: https://electrek.co/2020/05/27/tesla-cu ... es-lineup/

The Model 3 Standard Range Plus is now $38K, potentially less after state/local/utility incentives. That's a pretty attractive price on a car that in many ways performs better than those in the price range and costs less to operate.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I'm definitely getting a Model Y when it's time to upgrade. Not having to go to a gas station ever again has got to be one of its best features.
anoop

Post by anoop »

Alex on Autos just did a video on real range and he put it at 225 miles v EPA number of 316 miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9D55YZE86Q
https://youtu.be/p9D55YZE86Q?t=697 (for those who just want the punch line)
And that is with no AC/heatpump. With AC (hot weather)/heatpump (cold weather), he says it's 199 miles.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

As much as I love Tesla, my larger hope is that EVs from ALL of the manufacturers become a meaningful part of the transportation picture for the USA. Unfortunately, non-Tesla chargers are not keeping pace (pun not intended), and IMO, other than for grocery shopping, Tesla is still the one.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... een-future
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

anoop wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:26 am Alex on Autos just did a video on real range and he put it at 225 miles v EPA number of 316 miles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9D55YZE86Q
https://youtu.be/p9D55YZE86Q?t=697 (for those who just want the punch line)
And that is with no AC/heatpump. With AC (hot weather)/heatpump (cold weather), he says it's 199 miles.
For those who have never had an EV, AC is a piece of cake, heating the cabin in an EV is battery draining. Hence, if you want to extend range in the winter, you heat the seats and keep the cabin cool. It’s the reverse of ICE, where there’s a surplus of heat.
Marmot

Model X

Post by Marmot »

We have a model X and live in Phoenix (it is 105+ today). The AC has been excellent, actually everything about the car is excellent. I feel sorry for those people who still have to use gas. My Lexus (which I am going to sell) battery died last week and I took the Tesla to get a battery (odd isn't it). While in Auto Zone I turned around and realized that with the Tesla I don't have much need for that store. 90% of the stuff on the shelves is old, outdated technology. Yea I can use a brake pad in 80K miles and maybe some of that window washer stuff. Thank god for Elon pushing this technology forward.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
TomatoTomahto

Re: Model X

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Marmot wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:34 am Yea I can use a brake pad in 80K miles and maybe some of that window washer stuff.
What?!?? I’m planning on getting 200K miles on my brake pads; are you riding the brakes? Now tires, I might go through those. 😁
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Yea no kidding. I hardly use them. I can imagine how cool the cabin of the Dragon rocket is to the astronauts.

https://www.spacex.com/vehicles/dragon/
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
anoop

Post by anoop »

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

anoop wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:53 am Looks like demand is collapsing.
https://electrek.co/2020/05/30/tesla-ac ... -timeline/
"Collapsing" as in DJIA dropping from 29K to 19K?
Which cars of any maker sold more in last 3 months (Mar to May) compared to the 3 months prior?

Because it doesnt have Dealers and price is displayed on the WWW, every price change is discussed in detail. I dont own Tesla but isnt it easy to compare prices this easy if all manufacturers did it?

Read VW has come to an agreement with its Dealers (UK/USA) where all EV of VW will be like Tesla model. Dealers are just like Home Mortgage Closing Attorneys to do the paperwork. Whenever VW comes out with their EV card, it will be interesting to watch
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Due to concern with how the Y is rushed put together, we have delay in taking our delivery for a month or two.
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

matjen wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:08 am
Strummer wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:04 am
But Dan, you told everyone Tesla would be out of business by the end of 2018! Looks like you're not tired of being wrong in public, though.
There is a person on this thread who I will not name who has a price target of $2,000 MINIMUM... :oops:
:oops:
:sharebeer :moneybag :dollar :sharebeer
Pale Blue Dot
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:57 pm
But Dan, you told everyone Tesla would be out of business by the end of 2018! Looks like you're not tired of being wrong in public, though.
There is a person on this thread who I will not name who has a price target of $2,000 MINIMUM... :oops:
Silly me sold all mine earlier in the week for $1800. I smugly thought I was finally sticking it to the man.

Just goes to show, nobody knows nothing.

I am thinking about buying a Model Y with the proceeds though.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Normchad wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:00 pm
4nursebee wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:57 pm
Silly me sold all mine earlier in the week for $1800. I smugly thought I was finally sticking it to the man.

Just goes to show, nobody knows nothing.

I am thinking about buying a Model Y with the proceeds though.
Waiting for updated X. :D
:beer
RJC

Post by RJC »

Does anyone know if the Model Y is still having initial quality issues?

Also, for those that have bought one, how did it affect your insurance?
kiwi123

Post by kiwi123 »

RJC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm Does anyone know if the Model Y is still having initial quality issues?
Yes... https://insideevs.com/features/437193/v ... -continue/

Compared to traditional manufacturers (i have worked at them), even established tesla models like the 3/x/s wont live up to normal quality fit & finish of "most" other OEMs. For the Y specifically, i was also hoping most of the growing pains would be over by now but i think Covid has reset the clock on the Y getting to the same level as the 3/S/X.
anoop

Post by anoop »

kiwi123 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm
RJC wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:52 pm Does anyone know if the Model Y is still having initial quality issues?
Yes... https://insideevs.com/features/437193/v ... -continue/

Compared to traditional manufacturers (i have worked at them), even established tesla models like the 3/x/s wont live up to normal quality fit & finish of "most" other OEMs. For the Y specifically, i was also hoping most of the growing pains would be over by now but i think Covid has reset the clock on the Y getting to the same level as the 3/S/X.
The 3 itself seems to have had issues. Alex on Autos calls it out when talking about the Polestar 2.
https://youtu.be/ZF_G5gK9v5c?t=1627
I don't think fixing quality is the top of Tesla's priorities because people are lining up to buy the car anyway.
Afty

Post by Afty »

Even as a happy Model 3 owner, I would wait to buy a Y. Too many stories about poor quality. I would guess COVID has affected Tesla's usual ramp up process.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Can't wait for their 25k USD car in 3 years. Might finally buy one.
RJC

Post by RJC »

Stef wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 am Can't wait for their 25k USD car in 3 years. Might finally buy one.
You mean their 35k cars that end up being 50k+? It's hard to believe what Musk says that far out.

That being said, I am eyeing the Model Y when initial quality improves a bit.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

RJC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am
Stef wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:51 am Can't wait for their 25k USD car in 3 years. Might finally buy one.
You mean their 35k cars that end up being 50k+? It's hard to believe what Musk says that far out.

They did in fact sell a limited number of $35k cars, and you can a buy a base 3 for $38k today. Only the "performance" 3 crests $50k.
HoberMallow

Post by HoberMallow »

RJC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:54 am

The Model 3 standard range with no options is $37,990. That’s not $35k but it’s pretty darn close.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I stand corrected. You can get a base model with rear wheel, lower range, and partial premium interior for around 37k + taxes.
Boglelicious123

Post by Boglelicious123 »

RJC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 am I stand corrected. You can get a base model with rear wheel, lower range, and partial premium interior for around 37k + taxes.
I’m assuming this is meant as being snarky? This is what base model means...it’s the same as what Honda/Toyota/etc do. The base model of any company car won’t have any of the extra trimmings

Rear wheel drive is not a problem, especially on Tesla Model 3’s because of the much heavier weight and lower center of gravity then a normal car. Lower range still gets you 250 miles on a single charge which for most (I would guess 99% of Americans) is plenty for just charging up overnight and never having to use a public charger except for road trips. The partial premium interior is still really nice and the sound system is still amazing. The partial premium interior in a Tesla is far superior to the base model of a standard Honda/Toyota/etc. The amount of mis-information by Tesla haters is staggering.

As for the original point of “should I buy a Model Y or wait” you can always order one and refuse delivery if the car doesn’t meet your standards. Although I have seen “a lot” of different posts about inferior build quality on the Y’s, keep in mind every negative experience is being posted about and the positive ones are flying under the radar
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Boglelicious123 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 am
RJC wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:10 am I stand corrected. You can get a base model with rear wheel, lower range, and partial premium interior for around 37k + taxes.
I’m assuming this is meant as being snarky? This is what base model means...it’s the same as what Honda/Toyota/etc do. The base model of any company car won’t have any of the extra trimmings

Rear wheel drive is not a problem, especially on Tesla Model 3’s because of the much heavier weight and lower center of gravity then a normal car. Lower range still gets you 250 miles on a single charge which for most (I would guess 99% of Americans) is plenty for just charging up overnight and never having to use a public charger except for road trips. The partial premium interior is still really nice and the sound system is still amazing. The partial premium interior in a Tesla is far superior to the base model of a standard Honda/Toyota/etc. The amount of mis-information by Tesla haters is staggering.

As for the original point of “should I buy a Model Y or wait” you can always order one and refuse delivery if the car doesn’t meet your standards. Although I have seen “a lot” of different posts about inferior build quality on the Y’s, keep in mind every negative experience is being posted about and the positive ones are flying under the radar
I would hope a $38k car, even in base trim, would be far superior to a $24k car (Honda Accord) that can be haggled down to under $22k.
Boglelicious123

Post by Boglelicious123 »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:47 am
Boglelicious123 wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 am

I would hope a $38k car, even in base trim, would be far superior to a $24k car (Honda Accord) that can be haggled down to under $22k.
You are correct. I would hope for the same and it does live up to the expectations. Just keep in mind you will be saving $1K in gas & maintenance costs (on the low side) every year you have a Model 3 and the re-sale value will higher when you are ready to sell again. You can see how the math quickly gets very interesting when it comes to price difference