What's Your Opinion on Nest Thermostats

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mickeyd

Re: What's Your Opinion on Nest Thermostats

Post by mickeyd » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Our local utility company installed a new nest thermostat last year at no cost. It seems to work well.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

wander

Post by wander » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:44 pm

My Nest Thermostat is a 2nd gen. It works just fine.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:27 pm

MortgageOnBlack wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm
No matter what the Nest website says on compatibility, you absolutely need to make sure you have a C wire ran from your Nest Thermostat to your furnace
Have had a Nest thermostat in our second home for a little over 5 years now.

We purchased it so that we could remotely monitor and adjust the temperature when we weren't there. I wouldn't bother having a programmable thermostat if we were in the home every day.

I specifically chose a Nest because the house had only 2 wires to the existing thermostat and I didn't want to run additional wire. Most require a C wire, but for most furnace systems, Nest doesn't.

The Nest installed easily and has operated smoothly since. Never a problem with the Nest, nor with the furnace. Clearly you don't always need to run a C wire.
Don't be a lemming.

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Clarification: I have an EcoBee4.

For the Ecobee - predictive learning is great, programming is great, the interface with our humidifier is spectacular.

I have a post in some other thread about these programmable thermostats challenging the nature of some of the comments. No one responded. My thoughts were verified with my experience after I purchased one for fun. We had a good rebate program with our provider plus they give $25 back each year if you link to their system on high demand days. That helped pay it off in 3 years.

My main challenges were cost savings and reporting. The reports are just about as useless as they come.

It hasn't saved us a penny, and I bet you any load of money a lot of people on here haven't saved much either but rather the general populace (not saying those here) don't have a clue what is going on.

The due nature of the device will have you house set at X temperature by Y AM or PM. In order to satisfy that setpoint, the device must be running for Z minutes prior to reach your desired setpoint. In order to accomplish this, it must RUN Z minutes more per day that you did not previously set it at. This can be quite an additional kwh load, especially in the dead of winter (in our case).

Additionally, the sensors, while interesting, aren't very friendly pending your house conditions. Say I have a basement, an upstairs and main level. I have a sensor on each one. The temp differential is several degrees from each level to the next.

Pending your location, the device may say that you are actively in the basement, then shut off the other 2 devices because of no movement, and then try to reach setpoint in the basement of X degrees. That means your other levels are now (temp differential) HIGHER than what you normally would have, ultimately utilizing more kwh than you typically would.

Even if it averages out the house, pending on how you have your settings, you ultimately use more kwh to maintain setpoint because it will need to heat or cool more depending on the temp differential in each room.

TL/DR: don't buy it for cost savings, buy for functionality, ease, integration. If you get cost savings out of your mind, then 10/10 recommend. If not...5/10?

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:14 pm

LawEgr1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm
Clarification: I have an EcoBee4.

My main challenges were cost savings and reporting. The reports are just about as useless as they come.

It hasn't saved us a penny, and I bet you any load of money a lot of people on here haven't saved much either but rather the general populace (not saying those here) don't have a clue what is going on.

The due nature of the device will have you house set at X temperature by Y AM or PM. In order to satisfy that setpoint, the device must be running for Z minutes prior to reach your desired setpoint. In order to accomplish this, it must RUN Z minutes more per day that you did not previously set it at. This can be quite an additional kwh load, especially in the dead of winter (in our case).

Additionally, the sensors, while interesting, aren't very friendly pending your house conditions. Say I have a basement, an upstairs and main level. I have a sensor on each one. The temp differential is several degrees from each level to the next.

Pending your location, the device may say that you are actively in the basement, then shut off the other 2 devices because of no movement, and then try to reach setpoint in the basement of X degrees. That means your other levels are now (temp differential) HIGHER than what you normally would have, ultimately utilizing more kwh than you typically would.
This can all be solved with the Nest settings.

Turn off the home/away assist.

Turn off the Early On setting.

Money/Energy can be saved if used properly.

YMMV of course.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 am

What I love about the Nest E would be the same for any wifi thermostat.

I travel a lot, and I can leave the HVAC system off while I am away for days or weeks at a time, and then turn the AC or heater on from my tablet or phone a few hours before I get home... and the house is the perfect temperature when I arrive.

I really don't care if it saves a nominal amount of money on electricity or gas. Utility costs are a negligible portion of our budget.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

I've had a Nest for years. While I don't get maximum use out of schedules since my wife works different hours each day (she never liked coming home to a cold house :happy ) I do enjoy being able to change the temperature from anywhere I am.

Another feature I love that I haven't seen mentioned previously - they call it Airwave. Basically it will keep the fan running after it shuts off the AC in order to keep the cool air left in the ducts moving. I admit I have no way to quantify if this saves me anything, but in theory it seems like it should.

I also love the ability to check the HVAC usage over the prior 10 days. Sometimes I think in my head that it seems like the furnace is running all day, but it is nice to be able to verify that on the Nest app. Haven't used any other wifi thermostats so can't say this is exclusive to Nest.

If we move I will probably check out the Ecobee, but would have no hesitation on buying Nest again.

limeyx

Post by limeyx » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 am

TravelforFun wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm
I got one as a door prize. Fairly easy to install and connect to my house wifi. It's nice to look at but I'm not sure whether it's saved me any electricity.

TravelforFun
Agree. I'd definitely try ecobee if I was going again
Works well enough but doesnt control a variable rate fan (not sure if the Ecobee does either)

Tamarind

Post by Tamarind » Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:27 am

A smart thermostat has been a big improvement over my old dumb one. Mine happens to be a Nest but I think there are several good offerings on the market and I'm not super attached.

I had to RMA my first nest because it stopped being able to connect to the internet. To it's credit, it still worked fine as a thermostat during that time and Nest support was quick to ID the issue, sent a free replacement and paid shipping to send the old one off to their lab.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:14 am

Trism wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:36 am
What I love about the Nest E would be the same for any wifi thermostat.

I travel a lot, and I can leave the HVAC system off while I am away for days or weeks at a time, and then turn the AC or heater on from my tablet or phone a few hours before I get home... and the house is the perfect temperature when I arrive.

I really don't care if it saves a nominal amount of money on electricity or gas. Utility costs are a negligible portion of our budget.
This is why I finally got a Nest. We already used programmable thermostats so I wasn't concerned about utility costs. However, it's nice to be able to have a comfortable house when returning from traveling (and we travel a fair bit) without having to heat/cool an empty house for extended periods of time.

retired_tom

Post by retired_tom » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:29 am

I had a non-wifi capable Honeywell programmable thermostat that was very reasonably priced for a number of years. My HVAC went out, and I had to have it replaced. The dealer asked if I wanted a new programmable one, and of course, they would charge me for it. I told him to just use the old one. Long story, short, I get a survey from the company's home office asking about my installation, etc, and also asking how I like my new Nest thermostat... I responded that I didn't get one. The next day the salesman called and told me that there was a promo for a 'free' Nest thermostat with the installation of a new HVAC system that he conveniently forgot to mention. He had a technician there within a couple of hours to install it. I wouldn't buy one, but it's nice. I only use the scheduling function.

Ndop

Post by Ndop » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:12 pm

I have two latest generation Nest thermostats, self installed. First one installed without problem. Second one didn’t have enough power, despite their compatibility checker saying it should be fine. Nest eventually paid to have a tech come out, fiddle with the furnace board, and then all was well. It was a hassle calling in multiple times to their support line, and I had a non functioning thermostat for over a month.
I have never owned any other wifi thermostats, so I can’t compare. Overall, I’m pretty happy despite the install problem on one of them.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:42 pm

When I bought our current house, there was a Nest thermostat connected to the AC, and a separate 1980s thermostate hooked up to the gas boiler. I swapped the boiler out for an Ecobee and have lived with both for the past several months. Overall, I prefer the Ecobee. It's easier to tell what it's doing as far as schedules, sensor temperatures, etc. The Nest has a very strong instinct to fall back onto its learning program, which doesn't really get at some of the things we want done. It's annoying to wake up and see that the Nest decided to revert the upstairs temperature to a different setting just because it felt like it.

With everything I've read about them, the difference tends to come down to do you (1) want a self-executing package that you'll probably be happy with or (2) want to have full control over the entire system. If you're in camp (1), the Nest probably works. If you're in camp (2), the Ecobee is a better choice.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.