Son moving to Nashville TN area, any suggestions on where to live or avoid?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Housedoc

Son moving to Nashville TN area, any suggestions on where to live or avoid?

Post by Housedoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:34 am

My son will be moving to Nashville next month. Downtown living in the new apartments is very expensive.
He would like to keep rent at $1100 or less, single bedroom. He will have a company vehicle and gas card so living out from the city center is OK. Commute time not an issue per say, 7AM to 330PM shift. He is always early to work.
His job will be traveling to about a half dozen places as a sales rep, 1 place or so per day.
He is in his mid 20's, single so an Uber ride in to downtown on the weekend would most likely be used once a week.
Also, we are interested in any areas to avoid due to excess crime or less than desirable neighborhoods.
Thanks.
P.S.
Any Boggleheads need a live-in grass cutter in the area? He can weed eat too!

buhlaxtus

Re: Son moving to Nashville TN area, any suggestions on where to live or avoid?

Post by buhlaxtus » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:55 am

Snoop the google maps traffic reports a bit. The roads and highways near downtown are already getting snarled by 3.30pm on many days. There are reasonable (tolerable?) options in all directions from downtown, so it matters what locations he's going to be driving to and whether he will also be driving around during his workday.

There are a few options near downtown/Vanderbilt around that price range, but they are older buildings or mother-in-law type places with no laundry in the unit, window AC, that sort of thing.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm

IIRC there was a thread here six months to a year ago where someone was asking the same question about their son moving to Nashville. You might try searching for that one to see if it may help.

It has been a while since I lived there, so my info would be much outdated. But he should love it!

Topic Author
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm
IIRC there was a thread here six months to a year ago where someone was asking the same question about their son moving to Nashville. You might try searching for that one to see if it may help.

It has been a while since I lived there, so my info would be much outdated. But he should love it!
Might have been my question awhile back!!! Good offer with more money this time! Tks

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:19 pm

About 35 min commute to Nashville
https://www.apartments.com/worthington- ... n/tgdklq8/
As an example of area rates also easy close access to I-65 straight run to Nashville.
Lots of shopping close by within 8 miles one way, Kroger about 2 miles away at most.

I know the area well :)

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:21 pm

West of town, like the Bellvue area, used to be a good deal and a fairly safe place for someone who didn't mind living 25 minutes from town. It's grown up a bit, so it is likely more expensive, but I bet you could do well for $1,100 per month over there.

Good luck,

JT

P.S. He'll probably do well with a 7 am start time, but 3:30 pm is about the time that traffic starts to be an issue in Nashville, so I would add 5 to 10 minutes to his anticipated commute time coming home.

furwut

Post by furwut » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm

Try asking over at City Data forum for Nashville.

City Data Forum - Nashville

Topic Author
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:54 pm

furwut wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:30 pm
Try asking over at City Data forum for Nashville.

City Data Forum - Nashville
Tks for forum link, looks promising!

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:05 pm

I owned a house in Nashville until 14 years ago. Sometimes I even slept there. I'm sure a lot has changed since the skyline has more cranes than Beijing now, but at the time, no one lived downtown except for the homeless. You didn't even know someone who knew someone who lived downtown. It was all bars, hotels, the music industry, banks, restaurants, government buildings, strip clubs, drunk tourists, and that hideous cheaply constructed football stadium.

The traffic southeast of town was pretty universally awful although I think they threw big money at it since. I chose to live southwest of town. South of town was a good option for an aristocrat. That and a certain section north of town is where the city's elite live. The north side was relatively undeveloped and cut off by traffic snarls.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:14 pm

It's been about a decade since I lived in Nashville. I lived a few minutes from Vanderbilt University Medical Center while I finished up school. Back then, I paid $1050 for a 1BR/1BA apartment. I just looked and the same floor plan, 730 SF apartment now rents for $1415/month. Nashville has absolutely boomed for the better part of the last decade. It is arguably the hottest real estate market in the country, and I'd guess there's not much argument when compared to cities of it's size.

Your son can definitely get an apartment for $1100/month, but it won't be right near city center or probably within the I-440 ring.

In terms of traffic, I would recommend doing what someone else said and scope out google maps using the traffic function. Even when I was there 10 years ago, traffic was pretty awful during rush hour and I would guess there's a very good chance it is very often snarled by 3:30pm now.

Nashville is a great town that I have hated to see become more and more trendy. Many of the cool things about Nashville are being bulldozed so it can be turned into a playground for hipsters, but it remains a very unique American city. Your son will probably love it, but if he's going to grab a beer somewhere on a Friday night before that Uber ride, for God's sake make sure it's in a neighborhood dive bar and not some crappy tourist trap bar downtown. :sharebeer :sharebeer :D :beer

Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Just a fun anecdote. We lived in Franklin, a suburb 20 minutes south of town from 1987 to 1996. When gathering with locals, I would slap a C note on the table and say it goes to whoever can identify where a recording is. Never paid it. Things are different today.

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:09 pm

It is the same poster.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=263210

Topic Author
Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Thanks to all for the info, Spring Hill TN is his destination. Living much more affordable than Nashville itself.
AlohaJoe, appreciate you taking the time to find my other post that was seeking a tad different info. I have a special place for those that "help" folks out.

Smoke

Post by Smoke » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm
Thanks to all for the info, Spring Hill TN is his destination. Living much more affordable than Nashville itself.
AlohaJoe, appreciate you taking the time to find my other post that was seeking a tad different info. I have a special place for those that "help" folks out.
Try to stay out of Spring hill proper, along hwy 31, traffic congestion is a mess and getting worse. Like I posted stay near 65 in spring hill, and in the "Maury county side" of spring hill. The other side is Williamson county.
65 access is better for visits to AL as well :wink:
I live 4 miles away, for the last 26 yrs.