Computer help - can't open .aspx downloads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Computer help - can't open .aspx downloads

Post by SoDakJeff » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am

I get estatements from all of my banks and financial institutions. One of my banks is now posting statements using .aspx instead of .pdf. As I look back on previous statements, I see that they've been doing this for a while, and I had no trouble opening them. Now, I get an error message from Acrobat Reader that says it couldn't open (Statement name).aspx "because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Do I need to update something, or am I just doing something wrong? It doesn't do me much good to download these statements if I can't open/read/print as needed.

Thanks.

TheGreyingDuke

Re: Computer help - can't open .aspx downloads

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:11 am

More information on the details would be helpful (operating system for example) but you might try renaming the file with a .pdf extension and see if that works.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:17 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:08 am
I get estatements from all of my banks and financial institutions. One of my banks is now posting statements using .aspx instead of .pdf. As I look back on previous statements, I see that they've been doing this for a while, and I had no trouble opening them. Now, I get an error message from Acrobat Reader that says it couldn't open (Statement name).aspx "because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged".

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Do I need to update something, or am I just doing something wrong? It doesn't do me much good to download these statements if I can't open/read/print as needed.

Thanks.
Have you tried a different browser? i.e. Firefox, Chrome, Explorer, Safari, etc.? I believe aspx is a web/database language by Microsoft. That page should be generating the PDF (server side) and then presenting you with the PDF (client side). Something on the server side appears to be failing. Perhaps a different browser will interact with the server correctly.

mamboking

Post by mamboking » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:54 am

Are you left clicking the link or right clicking and selecting "Save link as..."? If you're right clicking, try just left clicking on the link.
Kevin

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm

Aspx is Microsoft Active server pages. It’s a web format that Adobe can’t read.

You can probably load the page in your browser, then use File/Print... and print to a pdf file. Then open that file with Adobe reader.

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:09 pm
Aspx is Microsoft Active server pages. It’s a web format that Adobe can’t read.

You can probably load the page in your browser, then use File/Print... and print to a pdf file. Then open that file with Adobe reader.
This worked, thanks! I used Ctrl P to open the print menu and then hit Save, which brought up the location window. Problem solved.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm

As mentioned previously, renaming .aspx files as .pdf invariably works for me. At least for documents that are supposed to be pdf’s.

core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:09 pm

if its .aspx then its a .NET file. So use notepad to open and it will open.

However i doubt how you can interpret. Mostly it contains HTML elements like

<html>
<body>
A lot of contents which is coding
</body>
<html>
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

FactualFran

Post by FactualFran » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:15 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:10 am
This worked, thanks! I used Ctrl P to open the print menu and then hit Save, which brought up the location window. Problem solved.
Please report the problem to the bank. Chances are the web server of the bank is not working correctly. The bank should fix the problem at their end instead of forcing customers to work around the problem.