lawn care cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: lawn care cost

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I'm still cutting the lawn, blowing the leaves and bagging them. I do the fertilizing and weed treatments. The lawn mower has paid for itself as has the leaf blower and hedge trimmer (use electric, but should have bought a gas powered backpack one). The weed treatments cost me about $15 for two bottles and I have enough for multiple years of use. Pump sprayer was about $12. PPE - let's say another $30 and I use earplugs to deaden the noise. I have a sprinkler guy come out with a large towed compressor to blow the water out of the lines before frost sets in, once per year and to fix any issues I'm unable to. Last year, I hired a guy to aerate my lawn for $100, I spent $100 on topsoil and $50 on seed. This year, I'm going to de-thatch the lawn, put the top soil down, overseed and cover it up, hoping it fills more evenly. My neighbor last year was kind enough to share his fungus that really did a number on my lawn. He had to re-sod his lawn, I'm hoping not to have to do that again.

One day I will cave and hire the lawn guys so they can blow my 20+ bags of leaves that the wind likes to deposit on my tree free property, not yet though. The lawn services want $50-$60 a cut, weed whack and clean-up. The fall clean-up is $500 and spring clean-up is $250. Trimming the bushes, they charge $100 for 5 minutes of work and 30 feet of hedges. They really make a killing on the chemical treatments and fertilizer, their margins are impressive but my margins are better - 0% over cost. As someone else noted, they don't cut, they scalp the lawn and the other thing they do is bring weeds from other lawns onto my lawn. I'm not a big fan of Scotts - especially their seeds which tend to have weeds included. When I'm planting Scotts, I get weeds in the lawn, I don't have that level of problems with other mass market sellers like Pennington.
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
lostcoast

Post by lostcoast »

Barsoom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:58 pm I live in the Houston area. I have a .23 acre lot, and the house takes up about a third of it. I pay $35 per week, four people come out to mow, weed, edge. I give them each a Gatorade and I don't ask to see their papers.

-B
and i assume they don't ask for your papers either.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

lostcoast wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:07 pm
Barsoom wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:58 pm I live in the Houston area. I have a .23 acre lot, and the house takes up about a third of it. I pay $35 per week, four people come out to mow, weed, edge. I give them each a Gatorade and I don't ask to see their papers.

-B
and i assume they don't ask for your papers either.
Just the check.

-B
mancich

Post by mancich »

We have 3/4 acre. I have a John Deere LA115 tractor that I bought in summer of 2008, so it is now 12 years old and runs great. I also have a Stihl BR550 backpack blower that is at least 8 years old and a Stihl string trimmer, same age. Between the 3, that is about $2200 in equipment, plus the cost of the fuel. I would pay an average of $50/cut in my area. Assume once per week from now through end of October. That is about 24 weeks, or $1200 in cost every year if I hired out. Even with the fuel figured in and the occasional minor maintenance, I’m coming out way ahead by DIY. And it takes me maybe an hour a week to cut/trim/blow. Plus I have woods in back where I can blow leaves into, drop grass clippings when I bag, etc. Plus, I enjoy it. But I fully realize not everyone does. To each their own :beer
Momus

Post by Momus »

$25 every 2 weeks. Front and back.
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

https://www.businessinsider.com/america ... ass-2016-2

Something to think about the environmental impact of lawnt
Aku09

Post by Aku09 »

I used to pay $70 plus tax for a weekly mow on a roughly 1.5 acre lot. Takes 3-4 guys 40 minutes to mow. Got a new guy 2 weeks ago who only charges $50. So overall a win for me saving $80 a month. I priced out someone else last year and they wanted $85 to do it. Prices here in western KY are high for these kinds of services.

I don’t like mowing and always said once I finished grad school and made 6 figures I was paying someone from now on....and I have been.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Jmkimmd wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm I'm thinking of hiring for my lawn care, I have a 0.25 acre lot, about 1/2 of it is the house, flat terrain. Just for mowing I'm getting quoted in columbus ohio for 40 dollars by high school student. Is that considered a good deal? I mean I'm a pretty cheap guy. I could mow my lawn in about 30 minutes with a standard craftsman mower.

How much is everyone paying for lawn care?
$40 for 1/4 acre is a reasonable price, especially in Columbus, Ohio. Me personally, I would rather pay $40 to a high school kid that may learn something from hard labor or the benefits of entrepreneurship, than I would a "professional" who may do a better job. This can be a win win situation for both of you, as you get your lawn mowed at a reasonable price, and the high school individual may learn life lessons that can be a life changer for him or her. May sound crazy, but this could be great thing for some people to pay someone to mow their lawn, and use the time saved to educate themselves on low cost investing. You can pay someone less than $1000 a year, and save $5000 or more in investment fees on the knowledge you obtain from learning to invest on your own without a financial advisor.