lawn care cost

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ClevrChico

Re: lawn care cost

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:18 pm

I'd estimate $40 for a cut/trim, which is around the minimum to get anyone to reliably show up around here.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am

abuss368 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 pm
What is the opportunity cost of investing that $40 a week over an investment lifetime? I have never paid anyone to mow our lawn and never plan to do so!
Why would you ever own a car when there is public transportation available?

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Other than my Newspaper Route at 11, quit a year later to mow lawns. I would hand out a lot of flyers and managed to have 4 customers. This was about 22 years ago and I would charge them $20 for mowing, weed wacking, and edging. If they wanted it bagged Id charge an extra 5 to rake it/bag it.

My parents never paid me to mow our lawn. I did get to use our lawn mower to cut lawns and would walk it to wherever the customers house was. To me this was easy money especially so young.

As long as I am able to mow my lawn I will never hire a service. Maybe the only way was if I somehow became extremely wealthy. I don't enjoy it one bit, but its exercise and less spending. Plus its my lawn so I would care about the job more.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Luke Duke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am
abuss368 wrote:
What is the opportunity cost of investing that $40 a week over an investment lifetime? I have never paid anyone to mow our lawn and never plan to do so!
Apples and Oranges.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:57 pm
Luke Duke wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:40 am
abuss368 wrote:
Apples and Oranges.
convenience and time = convenience and time

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:50 pm

You compared mowing a lawn to public transportation.

What if someone wants to mow their lawn and also likes driving their own car?

celia

Post by celia » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Besides the cost of hiring someone, you need to be aware that their machinery will probably carry weed seeds from the previous property they worked on. I know someone who had impeccable dichondra, but after he got ill and had to hire someone, weeds started popping up. Then what are you going to do? Use chemicals on the weeds or pay extra for them to be pulled?

PS. We don't pay anything since we don't have grass. We went to native plants. (Water is usually a rare commodity here, but we've been lucky this year.)

Hukedonfonix4me

Post by Hukedonfonix4me » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:21 pm

Mlm wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:00 pm
.25 acre lot. I pay a local landscaping company $25 per week for mowing, trimming and cleanup.
+1 except bi-weekly service
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." | -The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:25 pm

I read through this thread last night before getting quotes today. Ended up hiring the local “Best of _____ 2018” winner.

Aeration today was $50 for front and back of standard 7500 sq ft lot. Weekly “mow & blow” will be $35, month-to-month billing.

Carnut

Post by Carnut » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 am

I at $45 per week for .45 acre lot. includes edging and blowing off sidewalk and driveway. I have been cutting my own lawn for 40 years and thought I would treat myself this year to a lawn service. Sooo nice to come home from work on Friday night and have a perfectly manicured lawn!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:48 am

Carnut wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:33 am
I at $45 per week for .45 acre lot. includes edging and blowing off sidewalk and driveway. I have been cutting my own lawn for 40 years and thought I would treat myself this year to a lawn service. Sooo nice to come home from work on Friday night and have a perfectly manicured lawn!
Wait till the weeds begin to show up, these lawncare services bring the weeds from other lawns they cut.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12 pm

jebmke wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm
I pay $30 per trip to a "real" lawn care company for mowing/trimming/edging.
How do you identify a "real" lawn care company? Do they have special signs on their trucks?
Their mother doesn't give them a curfew

willygreen

Post by willygreen » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:15 pm

Four of us on the same cul-de-sac use the same company and negotiated a discount because they can park once and do all four lawns. We have one acre lots and they charge us $25 a trip. It was $30 when just two of us were using them.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:12 pm
jebmke wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:53 pm
mak1277 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:44 pm
I pay $30 per trip to a "real" lawn care company for mowing/trimming/edging.
How do you identify a "real" lawn care company? Do they have special signs on their trucks?
Their mother doesn't give them a curfew
LOL! Usually they have a sign that says "Lawn care" or "Landscaping". Then you have chain outfits like LawnDoctor or TruGreen.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

supalong52

Post by supalong52 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:39 pm

It varies a lot even in our area. Our first lawn care company charged $80 a month for weekly visits or $20 a visit. We have a 0.15 acre lot. But they were bad, unreliable, and went out of business. The next company we wanted to work with wanted to charge $160 for 2x a month service. That's a 4x jump. They promised to be thorough and detail oriented, but who wouldn't say that? We declined. We found another company that has been very good for $80 a month for 2x a month service. So we are paying the same for half as many visits.

trumpet83

Post by trumpet83 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:54 pm

@dmk395 is right...

Roughly a dollar a minute puts you in the ballpark of what mowing, trimming and blowing will cost. I have ran a small, solo operation for 6 years where I maintain about 15 lawns during summer break as a teacher. When I have tried to enlist help it cuts into the profits very quickly and you either have to pay them very little or have A LOT of lawns in a small area so drive time isn't killing you.

Someone had mentioned talking to a contractor who said that they "start at $40". There is a slight chance that he didn't just mean he was going to itemize every single action, but that he doesn't take lawns under $40. Early on I set a limit of how small of jobs I was going to get involved in and would just matter of factly say that the minimum cost lawn I would take on is $30. Of course, I've wound up breaking that rule for various reasons, but you can easily get run all around creation doing piddly jobs.

As for "Real lawn care company", I think that you should just look at the quality of the work you are receiving. There could be a college kid who takes more pride in their work than any 3 man team working for someone else's company. Most people's lawns don't require really high end equipment.

I don't believe you should try to beat anyone down on price unless you know he's asking over the going rate for the area. Just get another quote and compare. The people I know who have really gotten big deals often wind up needing to find a new guy the next year because he realizes he's getting killed. Agreeing to mow for a price in the spring when it's 68 degrees outside is different than doing the job in August at 100+ and it'll make you think about whether this is really work you want.

FI4LIFE

Post by FI4LIFE » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:31 pm

I despise the fact that my neighbors all use professional lawn services. Their giant equipment is so loud. Never a peaceful day all summer long.

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:44 pm

I just think it is great that you have a local high school kid who wants to earn money mowing lawns.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:47 pm

Jmkimmd wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:26 pm
I'm thinking of hiring for my lawn care, I have a 0.25 acre lot, about 1/2 of it is the house, flat terrain. Just for mowing I'm getting quoted in columbus ohio for 40 dollars by high school student. Is that considered a good deal? I mean I'm a pretty cheap guy. I could mow my lawn in about 30 minutes with a standard craftsman mower.

How much is everyone paying for lawn care?
I would expect you to pay $25 every other week.

mikemikemike

Post by mikemikemike » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:57 pm

Trism wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm
If the going rate was $700 I'd pay it. I'm never mowing another lawn as long as I live.
This. And my lawn is quite small.

harrington

Post by harrington » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:00 pm

I pay $25 a week for a cut and trim for a quarter acre. When is starts to grow slower when it heats up he allows me to skip cuts for as long as I wish. Blows the driveway deck and porch to clean up the clippings. Would never go back to doing it myself.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Last year, I was paying $35/week for a mow/blow/go on a typical 7500 sq ft suburban lot.

New house is on just over half acre, mostly grass, lots of edging due to nature of adjoining property lines. It's been unmaintained since last fall. General cleanup, first cut, weeding, etc. will be $400. Every two weeks thereafter quoted at $80 per visit. This is about an hour outside of Seattle. These prices were acceptable to me, I am not going to bother getting additional quotes.

As a gift, I pay for full service landscaping care for my parent's house in the Portland, OR area. They have a 15,000 sq ft hillside suburban lot with extensive terracing and shrubbery. $280/mo year-round covers lawn care, weeding, and keeping all those shrubs manicured with weekly visits.

I know this thread is a year old, but just wanted to contribute additional data points.
Last edited by AerialWombat on Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:35 pm

I’m too particular about lawn care to let another person do it, but I want to minimize the hassle, too. I gradually switched to no-mow grass which requires little or no fertilizer and less water. You can mow it once a month, leaving it a bit long (for health of grass and to minimize weeds). I also bought an electric mower that does not need gas or oil and which can be folded up out of the way. The same battery for the mower can be used for the trimmer.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:57 am

Trism wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:51 pm
If the going rate was $700 I'd pay it. I'm never mowing another lawn as long as I live.
LOL

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am

Michigan - I paid about $30 each week for a sixth of an acre to a lawn service. They subcontracted the lawn "treatments" to a service who provided five treatments for $40 a time. Now that I am retired I decided to take more interest in my gardening. I fired the lawn service and bought a lawn mower, etc and will do it myself. My reasons are:

- the lawn guys would come every week rain or not
- they would ride over sections where I had planted seeds. I had to put up "Caution - do not mow" signs to keep them out.
- they would take off the downspouts and not put them back
- they damaged my shrubs with the weed wackers

Most of my landscaping has been to protect my house and garage against them. I did not pay enough attention to the subcontractor who did the treatments. One of them was for grubs. There is no evidence that I have grubs in the lawn.

I have ambitious plans to redo my lawn and landscaping. If this does not work, I may hire them back. :D

LawEgr1

Post by LawEgr1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:56 am

We paid $40 for signing up at least two weeks or $25 for a single shot

this was for 0.25 acre, "trim mow & blow" (his words, not mine)

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:29 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:54 pm
Depends upon whether you want to be out there mowing the lawn on a hot, sticky humid Columbus,Ohio summer day!

Usually mowing is not enough, and you need to use a trimmer around the edges, is that included? If $40 is the going rate for a student, then that is your other choice,but I would expect trimming of the edges and leaf blowing/bagging for that. That is $500 a year. If you bought a fun-to-ride lawn tractor it would probably cost you at least $2500 and you have to do the mowing.

An alternative: Go to HD or Lowes and look at the robo-mowers. They run about $2000 to start, have GPS, and they would probably be ideal for a flat lawn. I would definitely check that out. You get to sit inside on a hot day and watch the robo-mower go back and forth. That is a techies dream!
A tractor on a 1/4 acre lot?

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:31 pm

Lynette wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am
Michigan - I paid about $30 each week for a sixth of an acre to a lawn service. They subcontracted the lawn "treatments" to a service who provided five treatments for $40 a time. Now that I am retired I decided to take more interest in my gardening. I fired the lawn service and bought a lawn mower, etc and will do it myself. My reasons are:

- they would ride over sections where I had planted seeds. I had to put up "Caution - do not mow" signs to keep them out.

Most of my landscaping has been to protect my house and garage against them. I did not pay enough attention to the subcontractor who did the treatments. One of them was for grubs. There is no evidence that I have grubs in the lawn.

I have ambitious plans to redo my lawn and landscaping. If this does not work, I may hire them back. :D
They only way to do it if you want it done right. I can't believe anyone would pay to have their lawn done unless they have health issues.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:38 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:31 pm
Lynette wrote:

They only way to do it if you want it done right. I can't believe anyone would pay to have their lawn done unless they have health issues.
I mow my lawn but I pay someone to do the chemicals -- $50 a treatment 6x treatments a year.

I also want to find someone to do autumn clean up. My town requires that we pack our leaves in those big brown paper leaf bags. I have to do 60 bags one weekend and then a month later I usually have another 25-40. It's back-breaking labor, takes a long time, and when I see our neighbors have a whole crew come with those giant leaf vacuums and they do their yards in 30 minutes I am incredibly jealous.

For not much more than the cost of those lawn leaf bags, I bet I can get someone to do the leaf cleanup.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:41 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:38 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Lynette wrote:

I mow my lawn but I pay someone to do the chemicals -- $50 a treatment 6x treatments a year.

I also want to find someone to do autumn clean up. My town requires that we pack our leaves in those big brown paper leaf bags. I have to do 60 bags one weekend and then a month later I usually have another 25-40. It's back-breaking labor, takes a long time, and when I see our neighbors have a whole crew come with those giant leaf vacuums and they do their yards in 30 minutes I am incredibly jealous.

For not much more than the cost of those lawn leaf bags, I bet I can get someone to do the leaf cleanup.
why don't you use a mulching mower??

zlandar

Post by zlandar » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm

1/4 acre is small. You could DIY with a battery-powered mower.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm

DIY lawn care costs for 1 year:

About $35 in fertilizer, $9 in nutsedge killer, gas and oil for lawn mower, depreciation of mower, string trimmer over many years and a little bit of time. No lawn care needed from mid-October to mid-March.

The actual time spent is not a cost, but a savings, because one doesn't have to pay for a gym membership for the same exercise.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 pm
DIY lawn care costs for 1 year:

About $35 in fertilizer, $9 in nutsedge killer, gas and oil for lawn mower, depreciation of mower, string trimmer over many years and a little bit of time. No lawn care needed from mid-October to mid-March.

The actual time spent is not a cost, but a savings, because one doesn't have to pay for a gym membership for the same exercise.
I would agree. However if one uses any of the Scott's all in one or step products, the cost is higher than $35. I have been using the Scott's all in one. About $60 - $70 and covers both the start and end of season.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:54 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm
However if one uses any of the Scott's all in one or step products, the cost is higher than $35. I have been using the Scott's all in one. About $60 - $70 and covers both the start and end of season.
Solution: Don't use Scotts products. Or use less or have less lawn areas on your property.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm

livesoft wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:54 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:52 pm
However if one uses any of the Scott's all in one or step products, the cost is higher than $35. I have been using the Scott's all in one. About $60 - $70 and covers both the start and end of season.
Solution: Don't use Scotts products. Or use less or have less lawn areas on your property.
I have used less Scott's product's and it is better for the environment!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:07 pm

zlandar wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:47 pm
1/4 acre is small. You could DIY with a battery-powered mower.
In December, I bought an EGO lawn mower, Weed wacker, blower and a Black and Decker Edger. Tomorrow I plan to tackle the lawn - if it does not rain - again.

teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:50 pm

GoldStar wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:57 pm
daheld wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:29 pm
I can't imagine I'll ever routinely pay someone to mow my lawn, but I would say $40 a pop is WAY cheaper than hiring it out to an actual landscaping/mowing crew.
It depends on the area I suppose. I am surprised at how cheap basic lawn maintenance service is (Landscaping is a different story). I live in Massachusetts and I was paying $45 per trip for half-acre lot - was quoted $35 last year by a pro. They come in with 4 guys and their huge machines and are in and out in 10 minutes (They should name the company "Mow-Blow-And-Go" - so fast its amazing). They have it down to a science such that they are so much more efficient than the neighborhood kid (who wants to charge more actually). What takes me (or the neighborhood kid) 90 minutes takes them 10.

We have a service called something like now it right. These guys hit the yard like a tornado. Like the string trimmer is already running, as the truck stops the guy jumps out and starts trimming in like 15 seconds.

40 bucks a cut.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:23 am

lawn mowing is always a rip off, it takes them 15 minutes and they want $40 twie a month which means the grass is low and easy to cut....

GT99

Post by GT99 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:32 am

1/3 acre lot. $45 per visit for mowing, edging, blowing off all hard surfaces, including deck, hedge trimming, and pruning of smaller trees. When I was getting prices, I talked to one company that had a minimum $7500 per year price tag. :shock:

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:33 am

The $400 I spent today is the best $400 I’ve spent all year. The guy was here for six hours. Mow, edge, weeds, shrubs, everything. My yard looks immaculate, and all I had to do was visit the ATM.

While he worked, I worked, and generated a significant multiple of what I paid him in new sales. Win-win.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:52 am

Jags4186 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:38 pm
wfrobinette wrote:
Lynette wrote:

Thankfully we can still blow to the curb. I would be paying if I were in your shoes.

Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:08 am

I have a 1/2 acre of lawn and gardens, but I do have difficulty walking and using even my self propelled mower so I have someone come by weekly to edge, mow and blow the sidewalks, deck and driveway; he also gets the debris out of the steep ditches which surround my property. He charges $25 and I tip $5. Its worth it. He does an excellent job and I only have to show him things once and he says he is learning a lot from me. He charges others a bit more it seems. Its his Saturday gig. (He does the leaves at a different rate, and cleans my gutters also at $20 - a steal - if I need it.)

Going back to the original post, here, $40 would be high but not unheard of if the student was providing his own mower. I know a friend in Denver pays that for his postage size front yard.

From a financial and exercise point of view, buying a mower and doing it oneself makes more sense, health permitting.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:16 am

Having recently moved from a 1 acre lot with considerable landscape that I cared for, it was a surprise. Our current house is .40 acres and has a similar amount of landscape to our prior one. The previous owner used a landscape/mowing company used by several others in our neighborhood. The services included weekly mowing, turning over mulch (No installing or providing it), clearing of leaves in the fall, trimming of bushes and monthly washing of windows outside. Full payment of $4,500 after a 10% pre-payment was expected in the Fall for the upcoming year. This is a LCOL area, and the neighborhood HOA does stress lawn appearance, but this was thought to be extremely high. I do the yard myself.

Tim

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:25 am

How much time do you have and do you want to do it yourself? If you don't have time (less than an hour, come on) or simply don't want to do it then spend the $40.00 provided the kid does it to your satisfaction. Is he using his own machine? Even better for $40.00. My rule is not to pay for something I can do within reason. My lawn takes about an hour and while I get no joy from the experience, I enjoy the results and enjoy saving what I would have paid. Before I got into my career I worked for a landscape/lawn service. I mowed 5 lifetimes of lawns over 6 years and then mowed a dozen times over 25 years to help friends until I bought a house. I now mow. Quite well might a add. The day may come that I no longer want to mow; forty bucks to get away from it? Okay.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:38 am

Having lived in several states/locations and owned a suburban home with good sized yard in all of them, my assessment is that the cost of good quality lawn care is inversely proportional to the number of undocumented workers living in the area and competing for work. Where we currently live we pay $50 per "cut" for cut, edge, and blow for a relatively small yard. This is by far the highest we have ever paid for lawn care in any house.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:35 pm

$120 a month for service every two weeks, which includes mowing, blowing the leaves, weeding and edging. The yard is sloped in the front. Lot is .6 acres, mostly grass. No way I could do it at my age without being sore for a few days after using a push power mower and doing the weeding/edging. A riding mower would be about $1,500-$2,500 plus gas, maintenance, a trailer to tow it on, storage space for the mower and trailer, and time to get it done.

Automatic irrigation with timed and pumped lake water makes it easy.

No brainer for me.

Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:47 pm

We are on 1 ac. Previous owner left us his JD riding lawnmower. Takes DH 4 hours if he does it all. He is 68 and enjoys. He also has a late 1990s Honda push mower to get around all the plants we have put in since moving here 2 yrs ago. "back 40" is not kept as immaculate, but he does weed eat along the chain link fence and stuff (including the chicken coop). I brought my 1952 Ford 8N tractor from our 10 acre place when we sold, and do enjoy running it around the back once in awhile. Not the same, but is fun. He says he will mow until he can't. We do have a 13 yr old Grandson who is in training. Not sure what the yard bandits charge in our city, but they all drive brand-new trucks ….

mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:00 pm

$60 a trip for a multi acreage property, although only about 1 acre to mow including edging and weed eating along the entire property fence line. 1 guy on a zero turn mower and gas powered weed wacker does it all in about 90 minutes.

I don't get too picky about the grass. We live rural so only call the guy once every 3-4 weeks when the Bahia grass seeds start going crazy and it looks like we are in corn fields.

I have terrible allergies and don't feel like suffering doing the yard to save a few bucks. $500 or so in lawn care is just part of the yearly budget and I don't have to spend thousands of dollars up front on a tractor or worry about maintenance/oil changes, etc.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:10 pm

We pay $100/month for a normal city sized lot. The guy comes when it needs it and does what it needs, including weeding and fixing broken sprinkler heads. We don’t have much grass, but we do get weeds. A couple of times a year we pay him extra to do a big cleanup (pruning, etc). We’ve used him for years and know he’ll do the right thing.

As a bonus, he and his wife give us a combo deal if we hire his wife for housecleaning. We hire her a couple of times per year to do spring cleaning type of stuff.

I can’t think of anyone here who does their own mowing. It just isn’t a thing.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.

dachshunddad

Post by dachshunddad » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:35 pm

About $6k/year. This includes everything for a lawn/landscape. I got multiple quotes , this was near the middle.