Backyard sport court, turf, etc

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

Backyard sport court, turf, etc

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 pm

Looking into a modest (if there is such a thing) backyard option. For small sided futsal/soccer type drills and games up to 2v2. At the extreme I realize these can cost tens of thousands of dollars and be capable of handling tennis, basketball, etc. I'm looking for something more modest. The grass is just too soft and wet much of the year here and the ground not even enough for quality soccer.

livesoft

Re: Backyard sport court, turf, etc

Post by livesoft » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 pm

I know someone who put a hockey rink in their backyard. Unfortunately, they put up lights, too. The lights were about 6 inches too high for the residential building code and they were forced to take them down. The neighbors also complained about all the noise at night.

Basically, your neighbors will hate you if you go through with your plan.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:39 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 pm
I'm looking for something more modest. The grass is just too soft and wet much of the year here and the ground not even enough for quality soccer.
I think you need to remove the grass, tamp the soil using one of those rental vibrational packers you can rent at your local big box store and then either plant new grass or resod the area. If you get lots of rain during the year, you might want to slightly crown the field so that it drains off to the side. This is what they do to the large soccer fields around here but using much bigger tamping tools and installing drainage systems.

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 am

livesoft wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:24 pm
I know someone who put a hockey rink in their backyard. Unfortunately, they put up lights, too. The lights were about 6 inches too high for the residential building code and they were forced to take them down. The neighbors also complained about all the noise at night.

Oooh. Lights are a great idea. Thanks!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:37 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 am
Oooh. Lights are a great idea. Thanks!
:thumbsup :thumbsup :sharebeer
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

corysold

Post by corysold » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:39 am

You can probably find used fieldturf online or on your local Craigslist.

The bigger thing will be to figure out the drainage issue. Just tamping the soil and laying turf might work, but it will probably just end up with puddles on the turf, or it will become uneven as you play on wet soil underneath.

You'll want to excavate down enough to put some draintile, drainage stone, finishing stone, than your infill, which is usually rubber pellets. On top is your turf and the rest of the infill on top, which sifts down into the "grass" part of the turf. Maybe 12" would work, something around that depth.

That is where all the cost is, but it is the best way to do it for long term success.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:16 am

livesoft wrote:

I live in Minnesota and every winter, in nearly every suburban neighborhood, people will make homemade hockey rinks. Many will also add a couple of “garage-type” work lights to it. No one has any problem with it.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:48 am

There are places out there (I saw on craigslist near philly) that sell used astroturf for pretty cheap.
I am thinking that what you need to do is address the drainage, why is it damp. Do the gutters drain there, if so put in some 4'' perforated pipe and direct the water away from that area.
You could do a base like a paver stone patio. Dig down 6-8'' put in Modified (its 2'' rock with dust) pack and pack. Then put a 1'' layer of sand (we did this with pavers, not sure if you would need that much with the turf), packed again and done. This give you a nice sturdy base. But if its damp, you need to address where the water is coming from otherwise you will have a mud pit.

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:22 am

The grass is damp because it rains, about every day, between November and March. We live between Portland and Seattle. :!:

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 pm

Are you committed to an artificial surface?

If you fix the drainage and even the surface rain wet grass should be perfectly serviceable, nicer to play on and easier to disguise as a "lawn" if the neighbors complain or you sell the house. The main reason to use artificial surfaces is for very heavy use, since you can only use grass so many hours a week, since it needs time to grow.

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 pm

All serious soccer fields around here are turf. That includes the Timbers, Sounders, Thorns, and Reign (pro men's and women's soccer). The season is almost twelve months here and even moderate use of natural grass November-March just results in mud. The grass does not grow without solar energy, and we have almost none for those few months.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:05 pm

livesoft wrote:

Get off my lawn!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Jarts can be very played on almost any backyard surface. Sets are cheap.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley