Garbage Disposal: So many choices out there. How do you decide which one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
1210sda

Garbage Disposal: So many choices out there. How do you decide which one?

Post by 1210sda » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm in the market for a garbage disposal. There are a lot of choices.

What should one look for in a GD?

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Horsefly

Re: Garbage Disposal: So many choices out there. How do you decide which one?

Post by Horsefly » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm

We've done two kitchen remodels and also replaced one GD after 15 years of use. I always go with a 1/2 hp InSinkErator. They are cheap, work well, and last a long time. The company has been doing them for a very long time, and probably will keep doing them. That means that when one goes out you can buy a replacement that will go right in place with no changes to the drain pipes (makes it much easier). I replaced the last one in about 5 minutes.

windaar

Post by windaar » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:19 pm

We replaced ours last year; our trusted plumber told us to pick up a Badger 100 at Home Depot for $99 which he installed for us. Does just what you’d expect and need. Good luck!

sport

Post by sport » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:22 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm
We've done two kitchen remodels and also replaced one GD after 15 years of use. I always go with a 1/2 hp InSinkErator. They are cheap, work well, and last a long time. The company has been doing them for a very long time, and probably will keep doing them. That means that when one goes out you can buy a replacement that will go right in place with no changes to the drain pipes (makes it much easier). I replaced the last one in about 5 minutes.
I have good luck with these as well. Be sure to get the model with the stainless steel housing. I once had one with the regular housing and it eventually rusted through.

miamivice

Post by miamivice » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:23 pm

We also got a $100 garbage disposal from Home Depot. Not sure of the brand but it is 1/2 hp.

Works great. We shove all kinds of foodstuff down it and it works great. Chicken, hamsteaks, pastas, sandwiches, etc, etc, etc. (We have kids which seem to generate a lot of food waste.)

sport

Post by sport » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:24 pm

windaar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:19 pm
We replaced ours last year; our trusted plumber told us to pick up a Badger 100 at Home Depot for $99 which he installed for us. Does just what you’d expect and need. Good luck!
I put in a Badger once. It did not grind up the garbage enough to prevent sewer line blockage. I ended up throwing it away while it was still in good condition. I replaced it with an InSinkErator.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm

I bought an Insinkerator to replace a cheaper Insinkerator during a kitchen renovation.

I moved up in power but not to the top of the range. The old one didn't work that well. The new one is fine. 1/2 or 3/4 hp??

> I put in a Badger once. It did not grind up the garbage enough to prevent sewer line blockage. I ended up throwing it away while it was still in good condition. I replaced it with an InSinkErator.

Umm, Badger is a brand name for Insinkerator.

I did a little surfing around before buying. Have a look at this bad boy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErato ... /204062606

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Remodeler suggested a Franke disposal. It has worked like a champ for about 12 years. Use it every day. My cheaper insinkerators would fail after a couple of years.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:10 pm

Horsefly wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:14 pm
We've done two kitchen remodels and also replaced one GD after 15 years of use. I always go with a 1/2 hp InSinkErator. They are cheap, work well, and last a long time.
We had a 1/2-hp inSinkErator in our kitchen when we bought this house twenty-one years ago. I just replaced it last week with an identical unit from Home Depot for about $125. Took about an hour to drop the old unit down, pull out the hardware from the sink drain opening, and install the new unit. And I'm usually pretty plumbing-challenged. :wink:
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm

Get one that is stainless steel to prevent that rust issue.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Did a replacement a couple years ago, InSinkErator Evolution Select. Slightly more $$s than the basic one, but super quiet to operate on just about anything.

peterb

Post by peterb » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:01 pm

+1 Insinkerator

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:29 pm

We have a 1/2 HP insinkerator as well, but honestly I only bought it because it exactly replaced the one we had, which made the installation really simple. There is a ring mounted to the sink that the disposal connects to with a twist ring, and that and all the hoses and pipes just fit perfectly.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:44 pm

+1 for the InSinkErator Evolution series. Quiet, efficient and well worth a couple extra $$.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:53 pm

We installed an InSinkErator Evolution Select Plus. Does what it's supposed to do and it's relatively quiet.

Topic Author
1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Couple more questions: What is continuous feed? Is it better than non-continuous feed?

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 am

1210sda wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Couple more questions: What is continuous feed? Is it better than non-continuous feed?

I was curious also and typed the same question in google. Found this link which I think did a pretty good job.

http://www.downthesink.com/continuous-f ... atch-feed/

froman118

Post by froman118 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:30 am

In the middle of a kitchen remodel and bought this to be installed next week:

https://www.costco.com/American-Standar ... 47195.html

Has been on sale for $80 several times over the last 3 months.

Topic Author
1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:03 am

EnjoyIt wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:45 am
1210sda wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:59 pm
Thanks for the replies.

I was curious also and typed the same question in google. Found this link which I think did a pretty good job.

http://www.downthesink.com/continuous-f ... atch-feed/
Wow! That's a great link enjoyit. Thank you.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:41 am

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

aas

Post by aas » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:27 am

I installed waste king 1/2 hp from amazon and it has been good for over 8 years. Prior to that, I had insinkrator and rusted a few years later. Th waste king is light quit and inexpensive.

tindel

Post by tindel » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:35 am

I bought a dual stage insinkerator a while back and it worked great, but needed a little bit of plumbing changes due to not being completely compatible with the badger that was in there. But it was TOTALLY worth it... Ultra quiet and did an awesome job as far as I could tell. If I recall it was about $200.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:37 am

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm
> I put in a Badger once. It did not grind up the garbage enough to prevent sewer line blockage. I ended up throwing it away while it was still in good condition. I replaced it with an InSinkErator.

Umm, Badger is a brand name for Insinkerator.
Right. The Badger was so bad, I did not remember who made it. I had to open the access cover in the basement to snake out the drain. The only problem was potato pealings. After that happened the second time, I decided that a disposer that could not grind up potato pealings was not worth having. So, I took it out and put it in the trash. The better Insinkerator models are good products.
Last edited by sport on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

socaldude

Post by socaldude » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:39 am

INSINKERATOR ***** lasts forever

dewey

Post by dewey » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am

A few years ago the disposal (brand new) by the builder died in a couple of years. At the time I did some research and concluded this one was the way to go. It's 1 HP and it was day and night performance from the original 1/2 HP disposal.

Waste King Legend 8000 (garbage disposer) Model# 1E3-14889-59 or whatever the newer model number might be. $139.00 at Home Depot. I just checked.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:04 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:05 pm
I did a little surfing around before buying. Have a look at this bad boy

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErato ... /204062606
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy green backs batman!

I love the stipulations:
Not for residential use
3 phase
208-230-Volt

I think with this model you do not do dishes anymore, you just grind them up and send them down the sewer pipe
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Once you decide which model to purchase, use your car's jack to help raise it up and hold it in place while you attach it. I got this trick from Family Handyman magazine. Sure is a lot easier than trying to hold it in place while mounting it under the sink.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:53 pm

Here’s a contrarian opinion: do you need a garbage disposal? Most countries outside the United States don’t use them.

The garbage disposal that came with our house when we bought it a few years back started leaking several months ago, so I removed it, decided to leave the sink disposal free, and re-did some of the plumbing to make it look nice with some easily found parts at Home Depot.

Even when we had the disposal unit, we never threw food in the sink, so we haven’t missed it at all. The sink strainer basket I installed in its place has little drain holes than make it impossible for large items to accidentally go down the drain, and overall the sink smells better and has a much cleaner look to it. Having the extra space underneath is a plus as well.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Not necessarily a direct answer to your question, but if you have a septic a garbage disposal isn’t a good idea. Not sure if it applies to you, but if it does at least do your homework.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

climber2020 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:53 pm
Here’s a contrarian opinion: do you need a garbage disposal?
I grew up in a house without a garbage disposal and they are not necessary.

That said, every place that I've lived since has had one. In my current abode, when my disposal froze up one day, I looked around and came to the conclusion that it was worth replacing so that minimal plumbing changes were necessary. As with most appliances I purchase, I found the top-of-the-line, and then backed down a couple of levels, and am very happy with it. It's a mid-line InSinkErator with some noise insulation. Guests have commented on how quiet it is.

And I agree with the car jack comment. I have a small hydraulic jack that also helped hold up my bed when I needed to adjust the height at one end due to a modestly sloping floor in my house.
Last edited by tooluser on Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:06 pm

We called the plumber we use. We said "we need a new garbage disposal." He didn't ask us any questions or offer us any choices. He came and he installed a new garbage disposal. That's what we did, and it worked out fine.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:12 pm

dewey wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:58 am
A few years ago the disposal (brand new) by the builder died in a couple of years. At the time I did some research and concluded this one was the way to go. It's 1 HP and it was day and night performance from the original 1/2 HP disposal.

Waste King Legend 8000 (garbage disposer) Model# 1E3-14889-59 or whatever the newer model number might be. $139.00 at Home Depot. I just checked.
I bought this same model from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000D ... UTF8&psc=1 It's really quite and a beast. Grinds everything. 7 years and counting with daily use.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

I looked at all the models and ended up replacing the 1/2 hp old Badger with another one. I installed it myself, and I am not much of a handyman.

I really don't like garbage disposals, and if the sink had not already had one, and future buyers did not expect one, I would probably not have one.

I don't like the idea of putting lots of scraps down into the sewer drains. Most scraps I put in the garbage (I freeze meat scraps until garbage day), and I find that really I put very little down the disposer. Vegetable peelings, apple cores, etc I put in a compost pile outside. Obviously in a condo or apartment that is not an option, and I can see why people would use the disposer more, especially in warm climates.

One tip: to clean your disposer, throw a few citrus rinds down it. Also a few ice cubes clean the blades.

Skyler10

Post by Skyler10 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 am

Last time I replaced one, I made sure to choose one that the rubber splash guard would come out. They don't all have that feature, and the one that was here when I bought the house, you couldn't take it out to clean it and it was always stinky.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Another vote for InSinkErator.

I've had mine for about 12 years now and it has not given me any problems. I have the Evolution model. It is, I think, 3/4 HP. It did jam up once and I had to use a wrench on the bottom to get it going again but that was long time ago. I knew there was a special wrench for that but couldn't find it. I think the plumber who installed the disposal might have walked off with it. The InSinkErator people sent me another.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

harrington

Post by harrington » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:08 pm

windaar wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:19 pm
My plumber suggested this also. Ten years no issues.

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm

In connection with the anti-disposal comments: We once had a plumber (I think to install kitchen faucet) and he was really anti-disposal. He said people think they can put anything in it, and as a result end up with pipe clogs. We still have a garbage disposal, but very little goes into it. Food scraps go into the compost pile, and almost everything else goes in the trash.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:02 pm

I replaced one that was about 20 years old. Did the work myself and replaced it with the same make (kenmore) as was in there. The drain that you see in the sink comes with the disposal and attaches to a blank hole in the sink. The drain is difficult to get to and looked like it would be tough to remove and replace. Because I chose the same make, the new disposal fit the old drain and saved me the trouble of removing and replacing it.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Garbage disposers are a bit of an anachronism. They are only used in the US. It makes no sense to put anything down your sink except water. Use a strainer. Disposers are loud, smelly, expensive and use of too much space under the sink. They eat silverware.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:42 pm

snackdog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 pm
They eat silverware.
Only the really good ones!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 pm

snackdog wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:07 pm
They eat silverware.
I know someone who had a clear glass go down the garbage disposal. Swallowed but not eaten. Just the right size to fit in there snugly and sit on top of the blades. Huge backup that they couldn't figure out for a whole day.

If you get rid of the garbage disposal you might have room for a water filtering system. More healthful, if not more useful.

I will also take this opportunity to malign though-the-back-of-the-sink-hole soap dispensers. Do you really want to have to crawl under there every time you need to refill the dispenser? No you do not.
The discovery of America, and that of a passage to the East Indies by the Cape of Good Hope, are the two greatest and most important events recorded in the history of mankind. -- Adam Smith, 1776

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:45 pm

1210sda wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:06 pm
I'm in the market for a garbage disposal. There are a lot of choices.

What should one look for in a GD?

Appreciate all the help I can get.

I let the plumber decide. That is what they are paid for.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Don't buy a cheap GD, noisy and clog often and won't last long. Spend a little bit more and get a higher end GD. They are very quiet and grind up virtually anything. When our old GD quit, we installed a InSinkerator Evolution - super easy to install and works great and very quiet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/InSinkErato ... /303543065

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:26 am

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:41 am
Jeep4Life wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:55 pm
Did a replacement a couple years ago, InSinkErator Evolution Select. Slightly more $$s than the basic one, but super quiet to operate on just about anything.
same here, ultraquiet. like it.

Another vote for the Insinkerator Evolution. We've used it regularly for several years with no issue.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:42 am

tooluser wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:37 pm
I will also take this opportunity to malign though-the-back-of-the-sink-hole soap dispensers. Do you really want to have to crawl under there every time you need to refill the dispenser? No you do not.
You're right, I don't, but ours can be filled from the top.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:45 am

I just installed an Insinkerator, 3/4 Compact Evolution unit in a house.

It's way quieter than my old unit and the 3/4 HP should be enough for anything.

It's to the point that you sometimes don't hear it when it's on.

Happy with it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm

tooluser wrote:
That's why you need a Never-MT. I have a gallon jug of dish soap from Costco tucked all the way in the back corner of my undersink cabinet. It takes me about 45 seconds to replace it when it runs dry about once a year. Greatest thing ever.

Back OT, been quite happy with the ISE Evolution. Very quiet, and works well. The 3-level design is a little more prone to jamming than the simpler ones, but their service is fantastic. When mine locked up hard after about 5 years, I called support, and they gave me two options:
  1. They will send a technician to diagnose the fault. The replacement unit will be free in either case, but if the fault appears to be caused by me, I will be charged for labor. The new unit will be warrantied for the time remaining on my current unit.
  2. They will send a new unit out free of charge for me to install myself. The new unit will have a full warranty starting on the day they shipped it
Second option was a no-brainer. No chance of a service charge, and a brand-new 7-year warranty, in exchange for 20 minutes of my time.

tooluser

Post by tooluser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:57 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:25 pm
tooluser wrote:
That's why you need a Never-MT. I have a gallon jug of dish soap from Costco tucked all the way in the back corner of my undersink cabinet. It takes me about 45 seconds to replace it when it runs dry about once a year. Greatest thing ever.
Nice!

Now if only the holes were on the side I wash the dishes... :oops:

TexTaxToo

Post by TexTaxToo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:14 pm

There is not a standard height for the garbage disposal drain. If you change brands and intend to do it yourself, make sure the drain height is similar to your existing (and above the level of the drain pipe exiting under your sink).

mxs

Post by mxs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm

InSinkErator makes 3 quality levels that you are likely to come across...
Badger - lowest
InSinkErator - middle
Evolution - high

The prices correlate to the quality level. The easiest thing to do is to get the exact model you currently have, looking at model and horsepower. It will be an exact fit for your plumbing.

If it seems to be froze up, but you can hear it electrically buzzing, turn it off, and take a 1/4 inch (I think that is the size) allen wrench and in the middle bottom you can twist the inner gearing loose and it may start working again. I have had to do this a couple times with ours, usually after we don't use it in a while. We rarely use the garbage disposal. We mostly use it for small scraps left on plates. Most everything else goes in the garbage.