attacked by off-leash dog

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
blackwhisker

attacked by off-leash dog

Post by blackwhisker » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 pm

I was attacked by an off-leash dog at a park today. The owner refused to put the dog on the leash even after the attack. I called the police department and they sent out an officer in ~10 minutes. The dog owner was gone by then. The police told me I can call them to report off-leash dog owners and don't have to wait till they attack a person.

Here are some of my questions:

-How to protect yourself when attacked by dog? How to minimize the chances of being attacked?
I was taking a walk by myself and was not interacting with the dog in anyway.

-Is leash law city dependent?
This attack happened in my neighboring city. I then called the police department in my city and ask them about their policy. They told me it is not likely they will respond to off-leash dog issues (whether anyone is attacked or not). I thought if there is an injury, it is the police's responsibility to respond. Is my understanding incorrect? I am in California.

-Do most places in United States require dogs to be on a leash in public area?

Thanks!

go_mets

Re: attacked by off-leash dog

Post by go_mets » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:58 pm

As I understand it, the law varies municipality by municipality.

I find it very strange that your city's policy say that they won't respond when you are attacked by a dog.

Pepper spray?

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm

My biggest pet peeve is dog owners not have their dog on leash. It's against the law where I live. They put my dog and other people in potential dangerous situations. It only takes one time.

You should video tape what happened after and document on video what happened. At least you can caught the dog owner face and prevent him or her from leaving the scene.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm

H-Town wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:59 pm
My biggest pet peeve is dog owners not have their dog on leash. It's against the law where I live. They put my dog and other people in potential dangerous situations. It only takes one time.

You should video tape what happened after and document on video what happened. At least you can caught the dog owner face and prevent him or her from leaving the scene.
How would taking the owner’s picture prevent him/her from leaving?

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Can you elaborate on "attacked"

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:22 pm

In addition to the advice given above...I would carry pepper spray...but not until you are certain you know how the device works, ensuring you're upwind before you hit the button, etc. Using pepper spray is along the same lines of having a concealed carry permit and in a situation of 'pulling' the weapon...you better be sure of what you're doing as your life is about to change. Once you spray someone else's dog and the excitement starts...the dog owner will most likely be more of a threat than the dog. I would put the Animal Control number in your contacts list for easy reference, take videos if possible, and get witness statements if available.
These situations are never pleasant with the one being attacked having to prove their actions were justified. Good luck.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them. | "Own an Index Fund, Get a Life Outside of Finance, and Relax"...John C. Bogle

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 pm

We have a never ending problem with off leash dogs at our neighborhood park. The topic is discussed ad nauseum on our on line forum and it never gets any better. It is neighbor against neighbor and the dog folks simply believe that the leash law doesn't apply to them. And their classic answer is always the same:" he is friendly." We are avid hikers and it's the same problem in the protected wilderness areas in the Sierra high country. Even where dogs are forbidden hikers bring them and where dogs must be on leash they AREN'T. It's a big problem and law enforcement has bigger problems. We carry pepper spray.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm

delamer wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:16 pm
H-Town wrote:

His/her face is on video. I think if you politely say that you will submit the video to the police and ask their help to identify and locate his/her home residence if he/she were to leave the scene of an assault. A law-abiding citizen is less likely to leave consider the elevating charges they might face if they were to leave the scene.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Get an attack dog for defensive purposes.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 pm
Yeah your dog would kill their dog and you're left with an expensive law suit.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 pm

H-Town wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm
delamer wrote:
H-Town wrote:

His/her face is on video. I think if you politely say that you will submit the video to the police and ask their help to identify and locate his/her home residence if he/she were to leave the scene of an assault. A law-abiding citizen is less likely to leave consider the elevating charges they might face if they were to leave the scene.
A law-abiding citizen isn’t likely to let their dog run off leash.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:55 pm

blackwhisker wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:54 pm
-How to protect yourself when attacked by dog? How to minimize the chances of being attacked?
A stun weapon of some sort (not a Taser). One of those hand-held devices that discharges 50kV and makes the devil's own noise and a bright blue arc of light. Scares the dickens out of animals. Don't even need to touch the animal with it but if you do, it'll change the critter's whole POV, instantly.

Be advised that such devices are not legal everywhere.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:57 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:54 pm
H-Town wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm
delamer wrote:
H-Town wrote:

A law-abiding citizen isn’t likely to let their dog run off leash.
You got that right.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:58 pm

TxAg wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 pm
Can you elaborate on "attacked"
Yeah, without a description it is hard to tell what is appropriate. Also, any interaction you had with the dog prior to the "attack".
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 pm

I see old-timers in my neighborhood marching up and down the street carrying a golf club. I wonder if this is why.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:15 pm

toofache32 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 pm
I see old-timers in my neighborhood marching up and down the street carrying a golf club. I wonder if this is why.
Maybe they're looking for their balls.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 pm

H-Town wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
But my sweet doggie would be on his leash defending himself against the vicious off-leash dog. Self defense your honor.

H-Town

Post by H-Town » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:17 pm
H-Town wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:
But my sweet doggie would be on his leash defending himself against the vicious off-leash dog. Self defense your honor.
When you got a dead body and an eye witness, have fun sweat talking your way out of it.

tyrion

Post by tyrion » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 pm

There was a woman in my old neighborhood who carried a baseball bat in her pre-dawn walks. Seemed reasonable to me.

I would carry pepper spray if I had any doubts. Better yet, get the bear spray version to have enough for the dog and the owner, just in case. Better safe than sorry, and it's a non-lethal solution.

My father in law was attacked by the neighbor dog on the street on his daily walk. He was just out walking. If the dog didn't latch on to his arm it could have been worse. I'm an animal lover, but I would not feel any remorse using pepper spray if I felt really threatened.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:21 pm

This is a problem here too. I walk with a walking stick harvested from the woods for defense against dogs.

Actual weapons may be restricted depending on your laws.

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:22 pm

You can Google defend self against dog unarmed for some tips on self defense and how to avoid a fight completely.

The problem with aggression in an unleashed dog is that if you had been a toddler instead you could have been killed and next time this person takes their dog for a walk it very well could be a toddler. Surprised the police had no interest in the animal attacking you unless all it did was growl or something.

rh00p

Post by rh00p » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:36 pm

Make regular visits to the park and if you see him follow him home to get an address. Dog has to poop everyday. Carry bear repellent. Works on ignorant owners as well.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 pm

Out of curiosity, do trained dogs under verbal leads qualify?

What about dogs with training collars?

My dog remains by my side on command. I have walked by law enforcement without a physical lead, and the animal was clearly under verbal control. What is your opinion on this?

I would not go to a park with other animals without a training collar.
Frugality, indexing, time.

mariezzz

Post by mariezzz » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:51 pm

Could you describe what the attack consisted of?

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Animals outdoors should be on leash at all times except in designated pet parks. Most municipalities in the US have leash laws. Pets owners that fail to comply with leash laws are pretty much consummate unmitigated ^*%$*holes.

Go to REI and buy a sturdy walking staff or hiking pole. We have a pair of hiking poles (and typically always carry one on walks) made of carbon fiber that have pointed tungsten metal tips (covered by quickly removable rubber tip). Rabid foxes in our town have attacked humans and my wife walking alone has had unleashed dogs charge her.

Normal (non rabid) dogs/foxes/etc., even aggressive ones, are naturally wary of any human carrying a sturdy stick. Brandish the pointy end of a sharp stick and they will generally slink off. Also suggestions on self defense spray is good just be sure to get a large enough canister (2 oz + canister) with adequate range and volume of a combination pepper/tear gas spray to deter even multiple animal attack and also human attack. Sabre makes a good 2 oz spray gel, sold on Amazon.

Unfortunately most of us live in a world where it can be risky to be out walking alone with only your bare hands to defend yourself.

chessknt

Post by chessknt » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:05 am

longleaf wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:48 pm

My dog remains by my side on command. I have walked by law enforcement without a physical lead, and the animal was clearly under verbal control. What is your opinion on this?

No physical harness is never ok. No matter how well trained your dog is it is still an animal and could react in an unexpected way to something. If your voice is the only thing you have to control the dog then when you need to control the dog most (eg dog runs at a child) it will not be enough.

What is the opposition to a leash?

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 am

satoriboat wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:37 pm
We have a never ending problem with off leash dogs at our neighborhood park. The topic is discussed ad nauseum on our on line forum and it never gets any better. It is neighbor against neighbor and the dog folks simply believe that the leash law doesn't apply to them. And their classic answer is always the same:" he is friendly." We are avid hikers and it's the same problem in the protected wilderness areas in the Sierra high country. Even where dogs are forbidden hikers bring them and where dogs must be on leash they AREN'T. It's a big problem and law enforcement has bigger problems. We carry pepper spray.
Why is a friendly dog a big problem? Serious question.
The J stands for Jay

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:40 am

I would like to know more about the attack.
Is there a scratch at least? Blood? Or just some barking?

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:47 am

chessknt wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:05 am
longleaf wrote:

No physical harness is never ok. No matter how well trained your dog is it is still an animal and could react in an unexpected way to something. If your voice is the only thing you have to control the dog then when you need to control the dog most (eg dog runs at a child) it will not be enough.

Respectfully, this may make sense in your environment, but I have literally thousands of square miles of national forest close at hand, with no requirement to leash my dog, and I'm having trouble understanding your claim that it's "never ok".

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 am

longleaf wrote:

Does this qualify under your local leash laws?

dewey

Post by dewey » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:01 am

We have leash laws that are often ignored by owners. We have ‘pick up after your dog’ laws that are often ignored by owners. We have ordinances against barking dogs but far too many owners ignore these laws (including our next door neighbor). The common denominator in pet violations isn’t the animals. It’s the owners. Inconsiderate of their fellow neighbors and community members. The dogs get punished in the end but it’s the owners who need to be addressed. Would you like to know how I really feel?
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:07 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 am
satoriboat wrote:
"Friendly" dogs can also attack. They are animals. The leash laws exist for a good reason.

satoriboat

Post by satoriboat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 am

@HomerJ:. They say they are friendly. That does not mean I feel comfortable with an out of control dog sticking his muzzle in my crotch. EVERY dog owner thinks his dog is friendly. Just like everyone things the are great drivers and investors. They usually aren't. .

catalina355

Post by catalina355 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:27 am

satoriboat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 am
@HomerJ:. They say they are friendly. That does not mean I feel comfortable with an out of control dog sticking his muzzle in my crotch. EVERY dog owner thinks his dog is friendly. Just like everyone things the are great drivers and investors. They usually aren't. .
Exactly so.

Momus

Post by Momus » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:32 am

In CA, if your dog attacks someone (even if you pet him unprovoked), the owner is responsible for damages no matter what.

I got bit by a dog I pet; I ended up with $30k ER bill (a plastic surgeon had to be called), and I got a lawyer to negotiate personal injury settlement with his homeowner insurance.

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:34 am

satoriboat wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:26 am
well said!

SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:00 am

Topic Author, please respond to all questions and speculations.
Retired 2018 age 61 | "Not using an alarm is one of the great glories of my life." Robert Greene

Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:05 am

I appreciate all the helpful suggestions. I am glad most of the replies to this thread are supportive. Thank you.

JTColton

Post by JTColton » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:13 am

You need to reconcile 3 things.

1. Your local laws regarding the carrying of weapons and the use of force.
2. Your desire and ability to use those weapons.
3. Your local laws regarding aggressive animals.

In my state you can legally shoot a dog if it behaves aggressively towards humans or domestic animals in a public place.

TXJeff

Post by TXJeff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:52 am

blackwhisker wrote:
Here are some of my questions:

I was taking a walk by myself and was not interacting with the dog in anyway.

Thanks!
TO PREVENT A DOG ATTACK
Learn a little about canine behavior and “body language” to tell agression from excited play.
Carry a walking stick and/or some small stones.
If a dog comes at you aggressively, draw yourself up to be as physically imposing as possible, turn at a 45 degree angle to the dog, point your arm with extended first finger out toward the dog, and yell “no” in as loud and deep a voice as you can. That's enough in many situations.

If the dog does not turn away, throw a stone toward the dog, but not attempting to hit it. Throw another if needed.

Whatever you do, DO NOT RUN. To even the friendliest dog, this is just an invitation to chase you down.

The above will handle most situations, and even if it doesn’t, will alert an inattentive owner to come get their pet. If the owner approaches and is also aggressive, start filming!
Last edited by TXJeff on Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:54 am

Your best hope for justice for this kind of thing is hitting a person in the wallet. If you can find out who the guy is, as someone else said dogs poop every day, then just file a civil suit through one of those personal defense attorneys. It may sound like your jurisdiction is different, but in most the cops won't care. Even if they do care, the owner could put the dog on a leash before they arrive and get no fine. If not, the fine might be minimal.

He gets a law notice for a 100K suit well that changes things a bit.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:01 am

chessknt wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:05 am
longleaf wrote:

That is not the law in Boulder CO. You can have your dog (over 2 I believe) certified to be under voice command, licensed as such, and then within most areas of the city that dog is not required to be on leash when they are with the owner

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 am

H-Town wrote:
Well people can sue you for anything, but if you (or your dog) killed their dog in any way not involving deliberate cruelty, the most you’d be actually responsible for was “destruction of property”. Unless their dog was some pedigreed fancy breed, that’s $50 bucks for some shots and get yourself a new mutt at the pound. Sentimental value is worth nothing to the law.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/130515j.aspx
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... er9-2.html
Last edited by Tanelorn on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:12 am

HomerJ wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:22 am
satoriboat wrote:
because you never know when a friendly dog may become unfriendly

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:14 am

OP, much depends on what exactly happened.

Will you please explain more thoroughly what you mean by attacked?

There is a world of difference between a menacing charge and a bite to your person.

Assuming you (or your dog) were not personally injured: When you must deal with a stupid owner, it's best to keep calm and let the authorities handle it. Report the off-leash dog. Take a smartphone picture if you can. You don't want any escalation with the owner, because the world is full of crazy people. :wink:
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

burt

Post by burt » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:40 am

Regarding dogs and home insurance.
I thought this article was interesting.

"Your homeowner policy covers any damage caused by you or a member of your family, including your furry friend. If the dog bites someone, your insurer may be partly liable for the cost of any claims against you."
"Believe it or not, dog bites actually account for around a third of all payments made by insurers on this type of cover. In 2015, insurers paid over $570 million, with an average settlement cost of about $37,000."
"Around 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs every year according to the AVMA, which points out that any dog is capable of biting a human, regardless of breed. However, most insurers base their underwriting decisions only on the breed, with certain types of dog excluded entirely."

https://www.kanopyinsurance.com/insuran ... -insurance

I'm the owner of a "spirited" small dog and he is absolutely always on leash.

burt

Atilla

Post by Atilla » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:46 am

The few times I've been charged by large off-leash dogs, I've spoken a loud command to them like "No" or "Stay". Surprisingly it's stopped them in their tracks.

Act like you're the boss.
Moderator Warning-Free Since 2017.

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 am

Rather than pepper spray, which I regard as very “hit or miss” when used against dogs, I would recommend a small air horn, such as are available at sporting goods stores. A charging dog will be stopped and startled by an air horn. Of course, depending on the individual dog, it may not permanently dissuade an attack — but it will stop the charge, as I know from personal experience. (It will also draw the attention of bystanders, which may help you.)

spitty

Post by spitty » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:32 am

OP, what was the extent of your attack? Bitten? Stitches? Two others above have asked ..

Anyhow, a stun gun is about $75 and just the sound will get a dog's attention. We occasionally buzz one at night to get the dogs in--of course they've never been shocked. Pepper spray is an idea but under stress may be hard pull it out and point it correctly. I've tried carrying it biking but figure I'd have as good a chance of also getting sprayed also. A walking stick is an excellent idea.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:49 am

blackwhisker wrote:
I've see too many new articles about kids and adults being permanently disfigured by dogs and owners dogs being killed.

If a dog attacked me, my family or my dog, I'd hope a heavy kick would serve as a waning but if it escalates after that, it's getting shot.