Things to do in Maine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JoeRetire

Re: Things to do in Maine

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:31 pm

Yiewsley wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:20 am
My favorite restaurant is also in Wells - The Steakhouse on Route 1. it opens at 4ish and there is always a line of people waiting to get in. Go early or wait a long time - really good food.
Good steaks. Pricy and very long waits. Probably worth it if you like steak.
Ogunquit and York are nice. The Marginal Way walk in Ogunquit is pretty.
I live in York. It is nice.
Perkins Cove in Ogunquit is nice. Take the Lobster Boat tour and walk the Marginal Way.
If you are renting a house, and you want lobster but don't want to cook it, you can order it from Hannaford grocery stores. They'll steam them for you.
Or go to Off the Boat Lobster in York and have them cook it for you in sea water. The freshest lobster you'll eat. Much better than steamed grocery store lobster.
Very Stable Genius

ram

Post by ram » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:53 pm

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/Og ... %2C4260007

We spent 3 nights at Beachmere Inn in Ogunquit last year. Recommend it . Nice big beach, will be good for the young and the old at low tide. Get your dinner done in time, could hardy find a place to eat at 9 pm.
Ram

A440

Post by A440 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:03 am

TallBoy29er wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm
If you go to Acadia, there is a lobster roll place a little bit outside of the park. It is called The Travelin Lobster. Seriously, we at a bunch of lobster rolls in Maine. These were by far the biggest and best.

OMG, it makes my mouth water thinking of them. Please send pics of the lobster rolls! :D
+1 for Acadia and Bar Harbor
+1 (or more) for the Travelin Lobster: https://thetravelinlobster.wixsite.com/ ... restaurant

If you like beer and drive through Portland, stop by at Allagash brewery and take a tour: https://www.allagash.com/visit/. Make sure you have a designated driver for afterwards. :sharebeer
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:11 am

Acadia National Park
Schooner Cruise - we went on the Isaac H. Evans. It has since gotten a new owner, but there are many of these.
https://visitmaine.com/things-to-do/on- ... er-cruises

keaton

Post by keaton » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:02 am

I can add a few things, as ive done the Boston drive a million times! Dont go inland, its really not worth it with such short time frame.

Lets hit some of the beaches real quick, just incase the weather is nice.

- As stated above, good beaches in York, grew up going there every summer as a kid.
- Higgins: outside of Portland, ok beach
- Popham State park: check the tides as its great for kids in the little tide pools when tides out
- Pemaquid Beach: nice little beach but might not be worth the drive off route 1 unless your going to see the lighthouse
- Birch Point: outside of rockland, very tiny little beach, nice spot if your in the area to do Rocklands breakwater walk
- Lincolnville: to the right of the ferry terminal is a nice spot and you will be driving right past it

Acadia is great, and lots to do, but tourists are mad up there and expected to be a lot more this summer from what ive heard. My favorite is Camden as its like a micro Acadia, with lots of trails and a great lake to go swimming at, and plenty of schooners to take for a day sail. I'm a little biased as its where I live :) .

Anyway, my quick run down would be
Portland (stay over), Freeport (passing through), Boothbay (stay over), Pemaquid (passing through), Camden (stay), Belfast (lunch stop), Acadia (stay a few nights)

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:53 am

3 1/2 weeks out, still a bit nervous as I have my 3.5 yr old, 1 yr old, and a 70 yr old mother. My wife and I usually do active vacations but not sure how much activity we're going to really get in. I do like the Popham State Park/tides suggestion.

Josh

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am

Got back from our trip. The best day of the trip was the day we left! Just kidding, well not really. If not for a trip to South Padre Island one year during early April when an absurd cold front swept through, sending high temperatures to low 50s with a sustained 30mph wind, this would have been our worst state trip.

Flew in to Boston's airport and drove to York. Different strokes for different folks, but the drive out of this airport and out of Boston metro was a piece of cake. Google Maps/Waze/Whatever_GPS_You_Use had no problems. The hardest part was actually getting out of the airport. From the rental place there must have been 8 exits before I felt I was off the airport grounds. So if you want to go to Maine and the best/cheapest flights are in to Boston, don't let the fear of the big city airport deter you.

Don't go to coastal Maine in the summer. It's BUSY. I mean BUSY. York, Maine, being so close to Boston, is/was swamped with people. Acadia, a four hour drive north of York, was just as busy. Basically you had to get to trail heads before 9am to get a parking spot. I lived in Manhattan for a few years and Long Island for a few years so I'm not averse to crowds. I just don't prefer them on my vacations.

So my wife and I (and maybe my kids when they get older) will likely make a trip back to Maine but we will attempt to go during the Spring or Fall (probably Spring so as to not coincide with the Fall foliage) and spend a majority of time inland. The towns along the coast are charming, but they're very similar and I felt once I visited one, the rest were all the same. I'm sure that's not true, but for someone who doesn't have the time to experience the differences between them, that's how it felt.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:06 am

jaj2276 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am
Don't go to coastal Maine in the summer. It's BUSY. I mean BUSY. York, Maine, being so close to Boston, is/was swamped with people.
LOL!

I guess it depends on what you mean by "summer" and "busy" and "swamped". York is very busy the week of July 4th. The rest of the summer it's only busy on weekends until Labor Day (another busy week). During the week, it's nowhere near as busy. This year, high tide during July 4th week was mid-day, and many of Maine's beaches pretty much disappear during high tide.

If you are looking for seclusion and empty beaches, then York is the wrong place during the summer.
So my wife and I (and maybe my kids when they get older) will likely make a trip back to Maine but we will attempt to go during the Spring or Fall (probably Spring so as to not coincide with the Fall foliage) and spend a majority of time inland. The towns along the coast are charming, but they're very similar and I felt once I visited one, the rest were all the same. I'm sure that's not true, but for someone who doesn't have the time to experience the differences between them, that's how it felt.
Inland Maine is nice. Fewer beaches there, though. And I'm not sure how different each inland town is.

Have fun.
Very Stable Genius

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:36 pm

jaj2276 wrote:
Got back from our trip. The best day of the trip was the day we left! Just kidding, well not really. If not for a trip to South Padre Island one year during early April when an absurd cold front swept through, sending high temperatures to low 50s with a sustained 30mph wind, this would have been our worst state trip.
Thanks for taking the time to post. My wife has wanted to go to Maine for years. Hopefully if we go there we can figure out how to enjoy the place and I appreciate the heads up on the crowds.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:02 am

I should have added this:

TL;DR Kids too young, parents too old, picked the wrong time of year.

Basically I imagine *we* screwed up in scheduling this vacation.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:04 am

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:36 pm
jaj2276 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to post. My wife has wanted to go to Maine for years. Hopefully if we go there we can figure out how to enjoy the place and I appreciate the heads up on the crowds.
September is the sweet-spot for a Maine vacation in my opinion. Less crowded, and the weather is still great.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:34 am

September is the sweet-spot for a Maine vacation in my opinion. Less crowded, and the weather is still great.

[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I am scheduled to retire Sept 19 and have run the numbers for airfare from Orlando to Boston and a rental car. My dates were Sept 20-30. The cheaper flights into Boston will pay for the rental car and I appreciate the input that the drive from Logan Airport to Maine isn't so bad. It sure isn't as bad as driving from Orlando to Maine!

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 am

Timely post as we are planning a trip to Maine for next summer. I'm eyeing two different times to go - last 10 days in June or last 10 days in Aug/Labor day weekend. Which is a better bet for crowds and/or weather?

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 am

We're heading back to Acadia on route to Canada in a few days, but only for 1 day :( as part of a cruise.
This time we'll plan to take the 8:00 or 9:00 am free #3 Island Explorer bus to Sand Beach and hike the Bowl/Bee Hive Trail before it gets too busy. The kids and I will take the more precarious route while my acrophobia prone DW will take the back more gradual approach to the Bee Hive summit. :happy. Hopefully, there will be enough time to visit our favorite Lobster stand, The Travelin Lobster: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-travelin-l ... in+lobster.
We're looking forward to the temps in the low 70's and getting away from the heat and humidity here in NJ. The next several days it's going to feel like over 100 degrees.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:47 am

A440 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:41 am
We're heading back to Acadia on route to Canada in a few days, but only for 1 day :( as part of a cruise.
This time we'll plan to take the 8:00 or 9:00 am free #3 Island Explorer bus to Sand Beach and hike the Bowl/Bee Hive Trail before it gets too busy. The kids and I will take the more precarious route while my acrophobia prone DW will take the back more gradual approach to the Bee Hive summit. :happy. Hopefully, there will be enough time to visit our favorite Lobster stand, The Travelin Lobster: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-travelin-l ... in+lobster.
We're looking forward to the temps in the low 70's and getting away from the heat and humidity here in NJ. The next several days it's going to feel like over 100 degrees.
Will your cruise stop at Prince Edward Island?

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:51 am

Unfortunately, no. St. John and Halifax. Both have current temperature ranges from 50's-70's. I can't wait to leave this intolerable NJ heat for the cool ocean breezes of New England and Canada.

m1collector

Post by m1collector » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:11 pm

I grew up in Machias, Maine which is 60 miles east of Bar Harbor. First suggestion is to fly to Portland or Bangor, not Boston, unless you want to spend time near Boston. On the major holidays, the traffic from Massachusetts to the Maine border can be terrible. I have seen it backed up into the 495 loop around Boston. Second, Route 1 can be extremely slow in the summer. Native Mainers never drive that route. They take the interstate between Portland and Bangor. Third, if you want to go to a beach, don’t go to Maine. The ocean is cold. All the outa staters like the beaches south of Portland but most Mainers don’t go to the beach to lay around and get a tan. Never, ever. Instead, take boat rides or hike or bike. Go dig some clams. Go beach combing. You can get really sick on whale watching trips if the wind is blowing. Check the weather forecast for wind. There are not a lot of whales in Maine. Skip the whale watching trips. Instead opt for a short lobster boat ride. Maine has mosquitos and black flies. Lots of them. It can get cold, even during the summer. The ocean keeps the coast cool. And foggy at times. The carriage trails in Acadia are awesome. Rent a bike in Bar Harbor and ride the trails. And last, Maine food is not that great. Yes, they have lobsters and clams. The restaurants in Portland are not really Maine food. They are outa staters. Really Maine food is subs and pizza. Whippers in Augusta. Derosier’s in Freeport. Pats Pizza. Chocolate sugared donuts at the local gas station or grocery store. Clam chowder. Blueberry pie. Or various bland fried foods. I never had Mexican or Chinese food growing up in Maine in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s. Never ate in downtown Portland.

Accept Maine for what it is. Old fashioned. Poor. Crowded in the summer, especially along the coast, with all the New Englander people vacationing or going to their summer homes. Visit the less crowded places. Schoodic Point. Baxter State Park. The coast east of Bar Harbor. Take a trip to New Brunswick and take the ferry to Grand Manan Island - bring your passport. The carriage trails and hiking trails in Acadia. Go to a lobster pound. Smell the smells of lobster bait. Visit a real fishing village. Go canoeing on a lake or river. Talk to the locals. You can recognize them by their accents.

gd

Post by gd » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:12 am

Never actually been there, but might look into Old Orchard Beach, it seems to still have some sort of amusement arcade/pier/area. I like the Owls Head Transportation Museum near Rockland, but not sure the 1,3 and 70-year-old would agree. Edit- in response to the spring post for the trip in early July...

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:35 am

shorty313 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 am
Timely post as we are planning a trip to Maine for next summer. I'm eyeing two different times to go - last 10 days in June or last 10 days in Aug/Labor day weekend. Which is a better bet for crowds and/or weather?
Assuming you want to be near a beach...

Weather will be better near Labor Day weekend.

Crowds will be far lighter in June, as long as you are gone before July 4th week.

If you really want to avoid crowds, go earlier in June, or later in September.
Very Stable Genius

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:04 am

jaj2276 wrote:

Flew in to Boston's airport and drove to York. Different strokes for different folks, but the drive out of this airport and out of Boston metro was a piece of cake. Google Maps/Waze/Whatever_GPS_You_Use had no problems. The hardest part was actually getting out of the airport. From the rental place there must have been 8 exits before I felt I was off the airport grounds. So if you want to go to Maine and the best/cheapest flights are in to Boston, don't let the fear of the big city airport deter you.

Don't go to coastal Maine in the summer. It's BUSY. I mean BUSY. York, Maine, being so close to Boston, is/was swamped with people. Acadia, a four hour drive north of York, was just as busy. Basically you had to get to trail heads before 9am to get a parking spot. I lived in Manhattan for a few years and Long Island for a few years so I'm not averse to crowds. I just don't prefer them on my vacations.

Having flown to/from BOS many times with airport rentals. Never liked the terminals -> rentals -> get on highways and airport gas stations -> rental returns -> terminals.

Slapshot

Post by Slapshot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:02 am

Vanguard Fan 1367 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:34 am
Thanks for the input. I am scheduled to retire Sept 19 and have run the numbers for airfare from Orlando to Boston and a rental car. My dates were Sept 20-30. The cheaper flights into Boston will pay for the rental car and I appreciate the input that the drive from Logan Airport to Maine isn't so bad. It sure isn't as bad as driving from Orlando to Maine!
[/quote]

Perfect time. If you're lucky, you'll get some good foliage, more likely the further north and inland you go. Beach water is much warmer the past few years. I even went in at Acadia last year! And certainly at Ogunquit. Enjoy.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.

shorty313

Post by shorty313 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 am

JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:35 am
shorty313 wrote:

Crowds will be far lighter in June, as long as you are gone before July 4th week.

Thanks for the input! Those are the dates we are limited to with the kids school year calendar.

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:33 pm

shorty313 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:53 am
JoeRetire wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:35 am
shorty313 wrote:

Thanks for the input! Those are the dates we are limited to with the kids school year calendar.
Yup. That's exactly why it's crowded.
At least try to skip July 4th week and Labor Day week.
Very Stable Genius