Things to do in Maine

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jaj2276

Things to do in Maine

Post by jaj2276 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 pm

I've asked for and received wonderful suggestions on Things to do in Indiana as well as Things to do in Iowa/Nebraska.

My wife, two young daughters (ages 3 and 1), and my mother (age 70) are taking a trip to Maine this summer (early July). Normally the state trips have been just my wife and I so we've solicited for more active suggestions in earlier states. Now with two young kids as well as an older parent coming along, I'm a bit nervous on whether we'll be able to find enough things to do that we can all enjoy.

We're flying in to Boston and then driving up to Maine, staying a total of 6 days. We'd like to see the coast but also want to see the interior. Would like to cover as much geography as we can (I often find great differences even within a state). We're big road trip people so driving isn't an issue.

So, what's there to do in Maine?

cherijoh

Re: Things to do in Maine

Post by cherijoh » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:03 pm

jaj2276 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:31 pm
I've asked for and received wonderful suggestions on Things to do in Indiana as well as Things to do in Iowa/Nebraska.

My wife, two young daughters (ages 3 and 1), and my mother (age 70) are taking a trip to Maine this summer (early July). Normally the state trips have been just my wife and I so we've solicited for more active suggestions in earlier states. Now with two young kids as well as an older parent coming along, I'm a bit nervous on whether we'll be able to find enough things to do that we can all enjoy.

We're flying in to Boston and then driving up to Maine, staying a total of 6 days. We'd like to see the coast but also want to see the interior. Would like to cover as much geography as we can (I often find great differences even within a state). We're big road trip people so driving isn't an issue.

So, what's there to do in Maine?
I have done two walking trips in Maine. For the first I flew into Portland and stayed 3 nights each in Camden and Boothbay Harbor then spent an extra weekend in Kennebunkport. All of them would have been perfect for you and your spouse prior to kids (and without grandma). The second trip, I flew into Bar Harbor and hiked in Acadia National Park. It is even more rocky than Southern Maine.

I think you might want to stick to the southern half of the state to avoid spending most of your time in the car driving. You could take the very boring interstate to save driving time, but it would be slow going if you stick to the more interesting country roads. North of Portland 95 moves quite a bit away from the coast and the more interesting scenic towns.

Maine has a very rocky coastline, so if you have visions of the kids playing at the beach on the Atlantic ocean, I would rethink that. You might do better considering one of Maine's lake areas where I think they have created artificial beaches and more family-oriented activities.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 pm

I could spend the entire six days riding my bike in Acadia National Park. One of our favorite places, with or without bicycles.

There’s always shopping in Freeport, home of LLBean, if you like to shop.

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm

LOBSTAH!

2b2

doug1022

Post by doug1022 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm

York, Maine. Two beaches to check out, perfect for your demographics.....

Long Sands Beach which is 1 mile long and sandy - but plenty of rock clusters spaced out for finding critters. Keep in mind the tide chart, as high tide takes the entire beach (but low tide gives you a ton of space). Great place to take long walks on the beach, eat ice cream and check out July fireworks. Keep in mind the water is still cold in July, but the little kids might not mind.

A half mile away is Short Sands Beach. Small sandy beach, arcade, taffy, shops. Has an old time feel...

Other nearby beach areas to check are Ogunquit and Kennebunkport.

We also LOVE Acadia National Park (much further north). We took our kids there regularly from infant to teen. It can get very crowded in the summer time. Great sight seeing, hiking, biking, camping, etc. Great restaurants in nearby Bar Harbor.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Maine beach info

https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-beaches-in-maine-4586898

We love Prince Edward Island in Canada is truly a beautiful place if you like no crowds, red sand beaches, warm water compared to Maine, amazing seafood, wonderful friendly locals, lush green rolling potato fields and folk music, best time to go is July & August.

marti038

Post by marti038 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:03 pm

I'd allocate at least a couple of days to Bar Harbor. Portland is also nice.

We drove from the White Mountains directly to Bar Harbor several years ago. While scenic, there wasn't a lot that we passed on the route we took that would have been worth spending a lot of time to see. With that said, there are state parks in the interior of Maine that I understand are very nice.

I hope to go back one day.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:06 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:41 pm
I could spend the entire six days riding my bike in Acadia National Park. One of our favorite places, with or without bicycles.

There’s always shopping in Freeport, home of LLBean, if you like to shop.
Acadia is beautiful.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:07 pm

2b2 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:53 pm
LOBSTAH!

2b2
Lobstah rolls!

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:07 pm
2b2 wrote:
LOBSTAH!

2b2
Lobstah rolls!
And if you drive up coast, you won't believe how many places have "The best lobster rolls in Maine". I scratch my head every time I go up there - how can that be?

Personally - I enjoy the Maine coastline - plenty to see and do - lots of nice towns to see and explore (Camden, Boothbay, Rockland, Rockport, Stonigton, Bar Harbor, etc.). Not sure about the young kids though. There are some museums and beaches (with nice "refreshing" water) - depends upon their temperament.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:21 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:07 pm
2b2 wrote:
LOBSTAH!

2b2
Lobstah rolls!
Jeez, how did I forget this!

DigitalJanitor

Post by DigitalJanitor » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm

The Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport is fun, especially with kids.

https://trolleymuseum.org/

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 pm

Acadia National Park. It's great.

There are complaints about it being crowded, but we did not find it to be so on our two visits. It's no wilderness experience, but it's not Walt Disney World (or even Yellowstone.) Last year, we spent five days at Mount Desert Island and four on the Schoodic Peninsula. We were tent camping, and the NPS campground at Schoodic is nice and new. Of course the problem is that, well, there isn't as much to see and do at Schoodic, and because of the shore configuration it's about an hour's drive from Schoodic to the Mount Desert Island loop road, so if the point is to see Mount Desert Island you probably don't want to do it all from Schoodic.

We had lobster about four times and I wish we'd done it more. Yes, for whatever reason the lobster--really, truly, honest to gosh was better than what we get in a restaurant back home. And considerably cheaper (unit price, your standard lobster roll is still $20 but it has much more lobster in it). I don't know whether it's fresher, or whether the "Maine lobster" back home isn't really Maine lobster.

Recommendations are always tricky, but we ate here twice and loved it:

The Travelin Lobster
1569 State Hwy. 102
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
207-288-8028

The first night we had a "lobster dinner for two." The second night we just ordered lobster rolls... and wondered why we'd ever bothered with the whole lobster, as the lobster rolls had a huge amount of lobster meat in them, and they had done all the hard work for you.

Also, we had pickled wrinkles at a place called "The Pickled Wrinkle." I had never had a pickled wrinkle, and I was curious to know what a pickled wrinkle was, so we stopped in and had pickled wrinkles. I can say honestly that I've never had a better pickle wrinkle in my life. No, it's not a joke, they're a real thing, look it up. I would actually say that I did like them, but that do not feel any strong need ever to eat them again.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm

Have you considered flying into Portland, Bangor or Manchester NH instead of Boston? Easier on the nerves.

I never had a bad visit to Maine. Have been to Portland, Rockland, Vinalhaven, Freeport, Bangor.

Best for me was Baxter State Park (Mt. Katahdin, north end of the AT). Lots of scenic drives and more hiking than you could possibly do with 2 kids.

If you can't find enough in Maine, hop over to NH and drive up Mount Washington. That's a real experience, pity to be so close and not do it.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:06 pm

2b2 wrote:
LOBSTAH!

2b2
Yes that’s my plan for 2 weeks this summer. :D

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Wife and I love Maine (and Vermont...New Hampshire is a slight step down for us).

Her brother and SIL operate a wind jammer out of Rockland Maine. I would suggest a day trip on one of the services. We have done 2 - 4 day trips and can honestly say - great experiences. With your 70 year old mother and two young ones, you might want to check with the services to see if they would recommend it.

Other than that...Rockland is great as is Camden. Youngs Lobster Pound in Belfast is a great place to eat. Big lobster place.

Ed

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:44 pm
Recommendations are always tricky, but we ate here twice and loved it:

The Travelin Lobster
1569 State Hwy. 102
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
207-288-8028
Yes, can confirm. The Travelin Lobster is very, very good. Well worth getting off the main road and finding it.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:57 pm

I second the idea of flying into Manchester or Portland. Manchester is a Southwest Airlines hub. We avoid Logan Airport whenever possible.

I also suggest going to Bar Harbor. Stay at the Acacia House B&B for great breakfasts, take the Ranger guided mailboat trip out to Cranberry Island (see seals along the way), and have popovers on the lawn at Jordan Pond (get there in plenty of time to get an early spot in the line). Also visit Sand Beach and Thunder Hole (although the real thunder happens during windy storms). Schoodic Peninsula, including the scenic Schoodic Loop Road and more lobster roll on the town dock in Corea, is also worth a day trip from Bar Harbor if you have the time.

I am sure some people will disagree, but there is not too much to see or do in the interior of Maine, unless you want to rent a cabin on Sebago, climb to the top of Katahdin, or take a canoe trip on the Allagash. Portland is a great small city with a wonderful old town area along the waterfront, but with only six days you might want to pass it up and spend your first afternoon and evening in Freeport (try the Casco Bay Inn, a motel). You can see LL Bean, have a Ben and Jerry's ice cream cone, and get your first lobster dinner at the Freeport town dock.

Then you have to decide whether to take the slow route up Rt. 1 or head directly up the highway to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Rt. 1 will let you stop at Boothbay and Camden (I suggest Camden if you only have time for one of these two towns - with more lobster, maybe lobster rolls, in Lincolnville).

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:47 pm

doug1022 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:54 pm
York, Maine. Two beaches to check out, perfect for your demographics.....

Long Sands Beach which is 1 mile long and sandy - but plenty of rock clusters spaced out for finding critters. Keep in mind the tide chart, as high tide takes the entire beach (but low tide gives you a ton of space). Great place to take long walks on the beach, eat ice cream and check out July fireworks. Keep in mind the water is still cold in July, but the little kids might not mind.

A half mile away is Short Sands Beach. Small sandy beach, arcade, taffy, shops. Has an old time feel...
I agree York is perfect for this family, if you want to spend at least a day or two.

York actually has 4 beaches.

In addition to Long Sands and Short Sands, we have Harbor Beach (sometimes called "Mother's Beach" by locals). It's a small, uncrowded crescent beach that is perfect for older folks and smaller kids. Finally we have Cape Neddick Beach. This one is great for low tide fun. Very few waves and the water goes way out. A terrific place to put in with a kayak or stand up paddleboard. No bath house here though.

If you get to York you must also explore a few landmarks.

Visit Nubble Light (Cape Neddick Light). It's one of the most-photographed lighthouses in the US. A picture of The Nubble was carried on the Voyager spaceship. Take pictures! Even if you just drive through York, go see The Nubble.

Visit the Wiggly Bridge. It might be the world's smallest suspension bridge and it wiggles when you walk across. Kids love it, and the path through Steedman Woods on the other side. Nice views of the harbor and lobster boats, too.

The Goldenrod is an old-timey restaurant near Short Sands. The food is just okay, but you must watch the salt water taffy being made in the window. And you must buy some.

Mount Agamenticus is pretty small as mountains go - it's only anout 700 feet above sea level. But on a clear day you can see a lot. You can easily see Mt Washington. I've heard you can also see Boston skyscrapers. You can drive to the summit and walk the Big A trail. It's a "universal access" trail - easy, flat, and great for small kids and older folks as well.

Good food in the summer. Lobsters. Ice Cream. Fireworks. Music in the town gazebo. Nice places to stay. Very, very family friendly. Almost no night life. No chain restaurants allowed in town.

To the south is Kittery for outlet shopping. And you must have fried clams at Bob's Clam Hut. A few more minutes south is Portsmouth, NH. Tons of great restaurants and bars.
To the north is Ogunquit. If you go there visit Perkins Cove, walk the Marginal Way, and definitely take a lobster boat tour - we take all of our visitors (young and old) out to see how lobsters are caught. Fun and educational.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 pm

Christine_NM wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:55 pm
Have you considered flying into Portland, Bangor or Manchester NH instead of Boston? Easier on the nerves.

I never had a bad visit to Maine. Have been to Portland, Rockland, Vinalhaven, Freeport, Bangor.

Best for me was Baxter State Park (Mt. Katahdin, north end of the AT). Lots of scenic drives and more hiking than you could possibly do with 2 kids.

If you can't find enough in Maine, hop over to NH and drive up Mount Washington. That's a real experience, pity to be so close and not do it.
We've done New Hampshire. Actually I've done New Hampshire and have hiked 7 of the 4k peaks. I've not done Mt. Washington yet, want to save that for a hike.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 pm

Go see Stephen King. I'm assuming there are signs.

rockylou

Post by rockylou » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:13 pm

We love Acadia but it is a long drive, especially with two small children. As mentioned, there are so many beautiful coastal towns, about 3,000 miles if you count all the peninsulas. If you are driving from Boston,be prepared for summer traffic. Portland is a great city to explore, great restaurants in the Old Port, children’s museum and nice walking trails along the water (Eastern Prom, Baxter Boulevard, etc). Mackworth Island in Falmouth (town next to Portland) is accessible by short bridge and has nice trail around the island with a cute fairy village for the kids (all free). Also, consider taking the Casco Bay lines ferry on Portland waterfront to one of the islands. Peaks island is the closest and you can rent bikes and go to the beaches. If you can go around The Whole island, it is beautiful but gets busy on summer weekends. Chebeague and Long islands are quieter but you need to bring bikes. We like the beach in Ogunquit but too busy in summer. There are very nice beaches very close to Portland, Crescent Beach State Park (lots of parking) in Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough Beach State Park (limited parking) and Ferry beach in Scarborough and Pine Point beach in Scarborough, which is next to Old Orchard Beach (amusement rides, etc). We love Moosehead Lake in northern Maine but again it is a very long drive (but you will probably see moose). Sebago Lake is about 40 minutes from Portland and Maine’s 2nd largest lake. Summer weekends are very busy if driving to the state park. Range Pond in state park in Poland is smaller but not as crowded.

red5

Post by red5 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:24 am

jaj2276 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:13 pm
Christine_NM wrote:

We've done New Hampshire. Actually I've done New Hampshire and have hiked 7 of the 4k peaks. I've not done Mt. Washington yet, want to save that for a hike.
OP, what kind of things does your family like to do? There's a wide variety of things you can do in Maine, ranging from epic hiking, to camping, to beaches, to shopping, to site seeing, etc.

Acadia is an absolutely wonderful experience. They have a sand beach, appropriately named Sand Beach. There are carriage roads for miles and miles of bike riding. They have many hiking trails, some flat and easy, some a bit more rugged, but none as difficult as the 4k peaks of NH and ME (well, there are a couple that are pretty tricky). Nearby is Bar Harbor which is a great touristy town.

If you want to experience a different type of Maine in a natural setting then check out Baxter State Park. There is much more to BSP than just Katahdin (I'll warn you, it's harder than any other mountain in New England, possibly even the east coast). There are some easy trails there along with many mountain trails. This park fills up fast though (campgrounds).

Portland is a great vibrant city to visit. Route 1 is a nice drive (busy!) in the summer through the coastal towns. I'm basically just repeating what everyone else has said ...

rennale

Post by rennale » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:31 am

Take the ferry from from Port Clyde or New Harbor to Monhegan Island and spend the day there. On a nice day it's a little slice of heaven.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:03 am

Bear hunting!

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 am

Perkins Cove.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 am

Christine_NM wrote:
We are flying from Charleston SC so it's a direct flight from here to Boston. With two kids the least amount of time spent in airplanes/airports is worth the little bit of additional road time. And since we're flying in during the middle of the week I hope the summer traffic will be a little bit less than weekend traffic (but probably not).

My mom is flying in from Alaska so I think by the time she hits Boston she too will be done with airplanes/airports.

DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:23 am

Portland Museum of Art.

dowse

Post by dowse » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:33 am

I haven't seen it mentioned, so I'll throw in Pine Point Beach in Scarborough, near Portland. Sandy, not rocky. Portland has Portland Head Light, which is a beatiful lighthouse situated in a very nice public park. There are walking trails with fine views. Also, if you are interested in lighthouses, Nubble light in York is very scenic. There are a number of harbor cruise options in Portland.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:19 am

Take a boat trip up the coast to see Maine from the sea.

Besides the lobster and lobster rolls there is wild blueberry pie.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:33 am

Bar Harbor and Acadia. Been there 4 times, going again for a week in early Oct.

Best area ever. Eggs Benedict with lobster instead of ham......mmmmmmmhmmmmm.
It's a place I'd consider moving to after I retire at 55 if things go right.

Patzer

Post by Patzer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:35 pm

See:
Stop in Camden on the way up.
Stay at the Camden Riverhouse Hotel & Inn (https://www.camdenmaine.com/rooms/). It is a 35 room hotel, but feels like a Bed & Breakfast Inn.
Camden is a sleepy shoreline town. If you could distill Maine into a single location, I think Camden perfectly captures it's spirit. Before you hit the road the next day, spend a few hours just walking around the town.

Spend a few days in Acadia National Park. Geographically diverse and beautiful, but relatively easy hiking. Everyone, but mom should be okay on any hike there.

Spend a day in Bar Harbor. Lots of stuff to do there, shopping, dinning, sailing, etc.
Make sure to walk the Bar Harbor Shore Path, it is flat and paved, so even mom can come along.
I would also recommend sailing on the Margaret Todd. It is a 151 foot 4 mast boat and takes a relaxing 2ish hour cruise through Frenchman's bay. Fun for the whole family. It you want something more exciting, there are smaller faster boats, and scenic flights out of Bar Harbor as well.

Skip:
Bangor. Stephen King's house is there, but other than that, it's just kinda boring.

Also:
The lobster is good everywhere, even random places on the side of the road. Bring cash, some of the side of the road places give you as much as 10% off for Cash vs Credit.

Have a great trip, Maine is amazing! :sharebeer

Murr

Post by Murr » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:42 pm

We went on a Boston to Bar Harbor trip this past summer....what a blast. My wife wanted to stop in Freeport to check out the LL Bean headquarters. Was a long drive from Boston so this helped break the drive up. Bar Harbor is a neat town with lots of good restaurants and just to walk around. Acadia was great and lots of easy hikes; Jordan Pond and more difficult ones if you want(Beehive). Drove up Cadillac mountain, what a view. Highlight of the trip was the 1/2 day climbing with Atlantic Climbing School. Was very reasonably priced and our guide was great. He catered to my two boys(12 and 9) and set up some climbs for us on the rocky coast. It was unique to climb at the ocean!

Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:49 pm

jaj2276 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:59 am
Christine_NM wrote:
We are flying from Charleston SC so it's a direct flight from here to Boston. With two kids the least amount of time spent in airplanes/airports is worth the little bit of additional road time. And since we're flying in during the middle of the week I hope the summer traffic will be a little bit less than weekend traffic (but probably not).

My mom is flying in from Alaska so I think by the time she hits Boston she too will be done with airplanes/airports.
I was thinking of the drive out of Logan airport, not the flight or the airport itself. If you do not know Boston streets and tunnels, historically it's bad news. I do not know if there is currently an easy way for newbies to drive from Logan to the interstate north to NH and ME.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

doug1022

Post by doug1022 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:49 pm

Driving Directions from Logan Airport to NH / Maine:

a) take a deep breath
b) drive slowly
c) ignore the beeping cars and rude hand gestures
d) get on Route 1A North to Route 1 North - or - Take 93 North to 95 North. Both routes will get you to the north shore of MA and then up to coastal Maine. Once you get out of downtown Boston and on the highway, the driving will be much easier.

There are many great spots along that drive that you may want to check out for a day trip or quick walk through - which are also family friendly:

Salem, MA
Newburyport, MA
Plum Island, MA
Hampton Beach, NH
Kittery, ME
York, ME
etc.
Last edited by doug1022 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:27 pm

Lobster rolls $20 ? ? ? ? In the summer of 1967 I was living in Bath, ME assigned to a Navy ship under construction at Bath Iron Works. Chicken lobster was retailing for $0.99 per pound and the lobster shop would even cook it for you. Lobster rolls were selling maybe for $1.25 and were absolutely fantastic !

Oh well, at 81 it's fun to reminisce about the past and be thankful for all you have. :D
Tom D.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:30 pm

I’m going to visit the Farnsworth Art museum, I’ve read it has the largest collection of Andrew Wyeth. I’ll be in Rockland, I hope it’s neaby.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:29 pm

If you go to Acadia, there is a lobster roll place a little bit outside of the park. It is called The Travelin Lobster. Seriously, we at a bunch of lobster rolls in Maine. These were by far the biggest and best.

OMG, it makes my mouth water thinking of them. Please send pics of the lobster rolls! :D

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Maine's lake areas where I think they have created artificial beaches
I've not heard of any artificial beaches at Maine lakes! We do have hundreds of lakes though!

The beach in Ogunquit is beautiful!
The Children's Museum in Portland is fun - worth at least a few hours.
Acadia National Park is also a wonderful spot, however, it is a long haul from Boston to Acadia, not something that would appeal to me with 2 little kids and only 6 days.

How about renting a camp in western Maine on a lake after seeing the coast in southern Maine? The Naples area is about an hour northwest of Portland. Get up in the morning, go for a walk, go back to the camp, play in the water (buy some toy buckets), have a nap? Cruise the lake on the Songo River Queen.

Camden is also a great place, it is busy though. You can go for an morning sail and spend the afternoon at the Camden library. They have a really nice children's area. The Camden Hills are good for walking and hiking.

Enjoy your visit to Maine!

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:14 am

It's been a couple decades but Moosehead lake had a sandy beach and swimming area. Had a great time there.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:00 pm

Acadia is wonderful. There are a good number of easy hikes, including around Jordan Pond. Even for smaller kids, climb up to both Bubble Mountain routes - I carried the young ones on my back. The kids can also play on the beach, also a fantastic place to view stars on a moonless night. Ride bikes on the carriage roads. Camden and Rockport are nice to visit as well.

Just avoid bug season, I prefer late August during the week when crowds are a little more tolerable.

Perhaps visit Portsmouth NH, Strawberry Banke.

Another place my kids had fun at was at Owls Head Transportation Museum, they enjoyed climbing in all the cars in the area outside of the museum.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

mindboggling

Post by mindboggling » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 pm

Read the 1985 novel "The Beans of Egypt Maine" by C. Chute.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:45 pm

For lobster rolls, you can go to the famous Red's Eats in Wiscasset.

For a beautiful coastal excursion, you could take Route 1 (most of the way) to Quoddy Head State Park, which also happens to be the easternmost point of mainland US.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks for all the replies.

What I'm thinking of doing is to maybe rent a house and then do day trips from there. If the house could be on a lake, all the better. I know a lot of houses (probably especially during this period) will want you to rent for an extended period but if I could get two houses in different parts of the state, then all the better.

So with a lot of the suggestions here, does anyone know of good areas to look for? We don't have to have any views or be on the coast per se, but a lot of the suggestions do seem to be coastal related.

Also I like the idea of Prince Edward Island in Canada so not sure if there's a good "base camp" around that area to hit that plus some other northern Maine sightseeing.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

jaj2276 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 am
Thanks for all the replies.

What I'm thinking of doing is to maybe rent a house and then do day trips from there. If the house could be on a lake, all the better. I know a lot of houses (probably especially during this period) will want you to rent for an extended period but if I could get two houses in different parts of the state, then all the better.

So with a lot of the suggestions here, does anyone know of good areas to look for? We don't have to have any views or be on the coast per se, but a lot of the suggestions do seem to be coastal related.

Also I like the idea of Prince Edward Island in Canada so not sure if there's a good "base camp" around that area to hit that plus some other northern Maine sightseeing.
Believe it or not you might have trouble booking this late. A lot of the best house rentals in Maine are gone in January. I could be wrong in that I've only done this once or twice (and only in certain coastal areas).
You could look on AirBnB but I know many areas seem to be controlled by regional rental agencies - for instance this one seems to have many of the better listings for the Camden/Rockland/Rockport area (you can book on AirBND or call them direct): https://www.summermaine.com/ (You could simply try calling them). There are also many (most in some areas) that like weekly bookings only (Saturday to Saturday booking).
Hopefully others have more info.

Topic Author
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:18 am

GoldStar wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 am

Believe it or not you might have trouble booking this late. A lot of the best house rentals in Maine are gone in January. I could be wrong in that I've only done this once or twice (and only in certain coastal areas).
I was worried about this too but if you're willing to look at an area (50 sq miles) as opposed to a specific location (10 sq miles), the options are a plenty at this time. So much so that I wonder if this market (renting out your house) has become a bit saturated in Maine during the summer. It seems like I'm going to stay inland of Bar Harbor probably between US Route 1 and Maine Route 9.

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:20 am

It's 8 hours driving time from Portland to PEI. It takes at least 3 hours to get to Bar Harbor from Portland. Also, since all road construction takes place in a narrow window of time, that can affect traffic.

Casco Bay ferry rides from Portland harbor. You can do the mail boat run and go to all of the islands, or you can go to one, like Peaks Island, and spend the day.

If you want to be on a lake, Sebago is inland/big and in southern Maine. Moosehead is awesome but it's a long (kind of boring) drive.
    Wells Beach is my favorite beach for long walks/actual sand. My favorite restaurant is also in Wells - The Steakhouse on Route 1. it opens at 4ish and there is always a line of people waiting to get in. Go early or wait a long time - really good food.
      Old Orchard Beach is kind of tacky. Ogunquit and York are nice. The Marginal Way walk in Ogunquit is pretty.
        A really cool beach is Popham Beach, which is down a peninsula in Bath. If you go to the state park, there is a little island you can walk to at low tide. If you go further down to the public area, there is a fort.

Freeport - If you go to LL Bean and the outlets, check out Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster in the town harbor. Picnic tables outside. BYOB.

Cape Elizabeth - Portland Head Light is a must see. There is a fort there too. The Lobster Shack is another picnic table type restaurant. Amazing views and good food. Kettle Cove for amazing sunsets.

If you are renting a house, and you want lobster but don't want to cook it, you can order it from Hannaford grocery stores. They'll steam them for you.

If you go to Boothbay, the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in are excellent.

earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

We stayed a week in Boothbay last year and loved it. The whale watch tour was incredible, although I guess we got lucky because we had 3 whales that hung around our boat for a while.

I know everyone loves the lobster, but if you're like me and don't, Betts Fish makes me drool a year later. Biggest fish sandwich I've ever seen. Went there for lunch our last day, and I made my wife cancel our dinner reservations so we could go back that day.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am

I suggested PEI as an alternative to Maine given how crowded Maine is compared to PEI. Something you may want to add to your bucket list. We drive 2 days to PEI from Philadelphia because it is so beautiful and not crowded at all. In the last 10 years we have been to PEI annually, in 2015 when we retired we spent a month on the island. We have been to all 50 states and most of Canada but still enjoy our time in PEI. Check out this fantastic aerial video of the many PEI beaches.
        http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.3668417

But if you are in Maine and close to the New Brunswick border you may want to include Bay of Fundy which have the highest tides, 40’, amazing to witness.

http://bayoffundytourism.com/worlds-highest-tides/