Global Entry Application turnaround times?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Myopic squirrel

Global Entry Application turnaround times?

Post by Myopic squirrel »

With the federal govt shutdowns, any recent Global Entry applicants tell me how long it took to get their application processed to then go for their interview? Thank you in advance.
jpsfranks

Re: Global Entry Application turnaround times?

Post by jpsfranks »

Check out this flyertalk thread for up to date reports (thread was started years ago go to the last page).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... tions.html
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

i applied for renewal in October and received approval in February.
Time2Decumulate

Post by Time2Decumulate »

I was conditionally approved in less than a week. I've got an interview scheduled for 2 weeks out.
trizzle

Post by trizzle »

jwasilko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 pm I was conditionally approved in less than a week. I've got an interview scheduled for 2 weeks out.
Same here. Less than a week to conditional approval and then an interview two weeks out (Boston)
krafty81

Post by krafty81 »

Pretty quick here. So worth it!
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

jwasilko wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 pm I was conditionally approved in less than a week. I've got an interview scheduled for 2 weeks out.
Similar here for our son, except his interview was scheduled during the shutdown and was therefore cancelled. We were able to reschedule when the shutdown ended and got a spot about three weeks later.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Same here. Interview is this Saturday afternoon (at JFK airport. Ugh!)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Can't speak to the government shutdown's effect, but DW and I went for Global Entry two years ago, got it pretty quickly. Started the process on December 2, 2016 with the online application, were conditionally approved December 14 and were initially scheduled for an interview in Atlanta in March but had to reschedule due to DW's surgery. Interviews were rescheduled for April 14th at Dulles Airport, we were approved and had Global Entry traveller numbers in hand in time for our May trip to Europe. As I recall it took less than a week from interview to final approval.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Submitted my renewal last week. I’ll let you know. Why do I need to do the interview again though? Seems unnecessary.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
stan1

Post by stan1 »

JonnyDVM wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:13 am Submitted my renewal last week. I’ll let you know. Why do I need to do the interview again though? Seems unnecessary.
For some renewals they determine during the review process they don't need to do another interview and it will be waived.
MtnTraveler

Post by MtnTraveler »

My daughter and I submitted our initial application 11/3. Conditional approval came in on 2/12. Our airport does not allow walk-in interviews and was scheduling out the end of May (after our trip). Checking the site each day we were able to grab some last minute cancellations so my daughter had her interview a week ago and I have mine next week.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

We applied in 2017. Applied online Nov. 6, conditional approval Nov. 17. The main delay was interview openings at our local airport, and the first available was mid March 2018. We got our cards about two weeks later. I was notified we could have gone through earlier interviews at other airports, but there was no convenient reason to go out of our way, just for an earlier interview.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

I applied for renewal mid December. About a week before the government shutdown.

I've been checking periodically and patiently waiting for approval. THANKS FOR ASKING THE QUESTION! I just checked today to have up to date info before posting. I was approved Mar 3, 2019! Time to schedule my interview
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

My wife just did it. Paperwork submitted in mid December. Interview was about 2 weeks ago.
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround »

Update to my last post. My application I submitted mid-December for renewal. I was approved Mar 3. AND aparently I don't need an interview. My membership was simply renewed.

Others have same experience? GOES renewed with only the application. No interview required
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

LookinAround wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:46 pm
Others have same experience? GOES renewed with only the application. No interview required
Same with me, despite including a lengthy list of visited countries, some that many might consider dubious.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I applied for a GE renewal on 2/23 and got approved with no interview needed on 3/3 from Philadelphia. I’m surprised they approved my application on a Sunday, but that was the date on the notice.
I’m assuming they will send me a new TT card with the old picture and new renewal date?
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

What is the interview? What do they want? What do they ask?
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Shallowpockets wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:43 am What is the interview? What do they want? What do they ask?
They basically just confirm the information you already submitted and run down a list of illegal activity that you have to say you aren't or haven't engaged in. This includes having used marijuana. Tell them no for that one. I live in a legal state, am a bad liar, and answered semi truthfully. The interviewer said normally if you say within two weeks its an automatic disqualification but he semi jokingly said he didn't care because he just started getting paid again (this was right after the shutdown ended).

They'll take your picture and fingerprints to try to see if it comes up in any govt databases for criminals and also ask about your past criminal record to see if it matches what they have on you.

My wife accidentally said she had traveled to north korea on her application, he asked about that and corrected it when she said she meant to put south korea. I had left out a bunch of countries I had traveled too because I forgot them at the time of the application and he didn't bring that up.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

The hard part was getting the interview scheduled here. I kept looking on their website and found an opening where someone probably cancelled. After that, it was just a couple weeks. Frankly, it was a hassle and probably not worth it for me. I don't travel for work. Of the 4 or so vacations I take a year, sometimes the airports don't even have a line for it. I did it because a credit card paid for it. If I traveled for work once or more a month, I wouldn't go without it.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 am The hard part was getting the interview scheduled here. I kept looking on their website and found an opening where someone probably cancelled. After that, it was just a couple weeks. Frankly, it was a hassle and probably not worth it for me. I don't travel for work. Of the 4 or so vacations I take a year, sometimes the airports don't even have a line for it. I did it because a credit card paid for it. If I traveled for work once or more a month, I wouldn't go without it.
You can also walk in for an interview. I had my appointment scheduled for a Friday afternoon and someone who showed up as a walk in had to wait about 3 minutes.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

barnaclebob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:21 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:17 am The hard part was getting the interview scheduled here. I kept looking on their website and found an opening where someone probably cancelled. After that, it was just a couple weeks. Frankly, it was a hassle and probably not worth it for me. I don't travel for work. Of the 4 or so vacations I take a year, sometimes the airports don't even have a line for it. I did it because a credit card paid for it. If I traveled for work once or more a month, I wouldn't go without it.
You can also walk in for an interview. I had my appointment scheduled for a Friday afternoon and someone who showed up as a walk in had to wait about 3 minutes.
I wasn't aware that they take walk-ins. The issue here (Chicago) was they have two facilities and one was closed for remodeling or something. Then you had one facility servicing over 10 million people.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:31 am
barnaclebob wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:21 am
I wasn't aware that they take walk-ins. The issue here (Chicago) was they have two facilities and one was closed for remodeling or something. Then you had one facility servicing over 10 million people.
Yeah the walk in success rate probably varies highly by location.
Trism

Post by Trism »

I submitted my renewal application and paid the fee on 1/6/19 and I'm still waiting. Took 25+ minutes to get through the security line at TUS today.
bluetuna11

Post by bluetuna11 »

I would save your money and download the mobile passport app. The official app of US Customs and Border Protection. In my opinion it is just as fast as global entry and no interview. The app is very easy to use. Take a selfie, input pertinant data, name, dob, passport number etc.. When you arrive at US port of entry add flight or cruise port data and answer the standard customs questions. Scan phone, like your boarding pass at custom officers desk. Usually dedicated lane, the many I have been through. I can't speak for all ports. Most major ports of entry accept the mobile app, quite a list. Maybe it is just as fast because not many people do not use this option, like tsa pre check used to be. Find the app in the google play store and apple app area. Not sure of the name,android user. Happy travels.
John
Your friendly Captain
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

bluetuna11 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 pm I would save your money and download the mobile passport app. The official app of US Customs and Border Protection. In my opinion it is just as fast as global entry and no interview. The app is very easy to use. Take a selfie, input pertinant data, name, dob, passport number etc.. When you arrive at US port of entry add flight or cruise port data and answer the standard customs questions. Scan phone, like your boarding pass at custom officers desk. Usually dedicated lane, the many I have been through. I can't speak for all ports. Most major ports of entry accept the mobile app, quite a list. Maybe it is just as fast because not many people do not use this option, like tsa pre check used to be. Find the app in the google play store and apple app area. Not sure of the name,android user. Happy travels.
John
Your friendly Captain
But what does that do when going through the security line for an outgoing flight?
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:00 pm
bluetuna11 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 pm I would save your money and download the mobile passport app. The official app of US Customs and Border Protection. In my opinion it is just as fast as global entry and no interview. The app is very easy to use. Take a selfie, input pertinant data, name, dob, passport number etc.. When you arrive at US port of entry add flight or cruise port data and answer the standard customs questions. Scan phone, like your boarding pass at custom officers desk. Usually dedicated lane, the many I have been through. I can't speak for all ports. Most major ports of entry accept the mobile app, quite a list. Maybe it is just as fast because not many people do not use this option, like tsa pre check used to be. Find the app in the google play store and apple app area. Not sure of the name,android user. Happy travels.
John
Your friendly Captain
But what does that do when going through the security line for an outgoing flight?
You don't need Global Entry ($100/5 years) for security screening line Pre Check. Alternatives:
  • Pre Check enrollment by airline - no cost to traveler)/b]
  • Pre Check: ($85/5 years)
  • Nexus: ($50/5 years). Includes Pre-Check at over 180 USA airports, expedited screening at numerous Canadaian airports, and USA Global Entry at Canada pre-clearance airports, plus priority land and marine processing at numerous locations. Note you may need to follow up online enrollment at a Nexus enrollment center in USA or Canada
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:49 pm
John
Your friendly Captain
You don't need Global Entry ($100/5 years) for security screening line Pre Check. Alternatives:
  • Nexus: ($50/5 years). Includes Pre-Check at over 180 USA airports, expedited screening at numerous Canadaian airports, and USA Global Entry at Canada pre-clearance airports, plus priority land and marine processing at numerous locations. Note you may need to follow up online enrollment at a Nexus enrollment center in USA or Canada
So, like I said, the app does nothing for that.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:50 pm
John
Your friendly Captain
I think you are confused, nobody has claimed that the mobile passport customs application has anything to do with security screening. It does work very well at getting through immigration, in my experience much faster than Global Entry, as there is no kiosk to use (and sometimes wait in line to use). So if you have pre-check anyway, the app will save you the global entry hassle, interview, waiting and $100 fee. If you need to purchase pre-check, you can use one of the other options, such as $50 Nexus instead of the $100 fee, and still use the app when returning to the United States on a USA passport.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

criticalmass wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:44 am
John
Your friendly Captain
I think you are confused, nobody has claimed that the mobile passport customs application has anything to do with security screening. It does work very well at getting through immigration, in my experience much faster than Global Entry, as there is no kiosk to use (and sometimes wait in line to use). So if you have pre-check anyway, the app will save you the global entry hassle, interview, waiting and $100 fee. If you need to purchase pre-check, you can use one of the other options, such as $50 Nexus instead of the $100 fee, and still use the app when returning to the United States on a USA passport.
I'm not sure why you think I am confused. The thread is about Global Entry (and specifically application wait times). Someone suggested Mobile Passport which is fine, but I was merely pointing out that it is not the same and doesn't give you pre-check. You quoted my post and made other suggestions that give you pre-check which is fine but doesn't negate what I said. Some of us have credit cards or companies that pay the fee so the amount is not relevant to us. The OP seems to have already applied for Global Entry so they aren't going to pull the app as the fee has already been paid and they aren't looking for other options. People stray off topic and then call me confused :oops: .
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

bluetuna11 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:51 pmMost major ports of entry accept the mobile app, quite a list.
Per the CBP website, there are currently 26 points of entry that accomodate the Mobile Passport app:
  • Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
  • Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI)
  • Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
  • Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW)
  • Denver International Airport (DEN)
  • Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
  • Houston George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
  • William P. Hobby Houston International Airport (HOU)
  • Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
  • Miami International Airport (MIA)
  • Miami Seaport
  • Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport (MSP)
  • John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK)
  • Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR)
  • Orlando International Airport (MCO)
  • Palm Beach Seaport (PBI)
  • Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX)
  • Pittsburgh International Airport (PIT)
  • Port Everglades (PEV)
  • Portland International Airport (PDX)
  • Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU)
  • Sacramento International Airport (SMF)
  • San Diego International Airport (SAN)
  • San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
  • San Jose International Airport (SJC)
  • Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
  • Tampa International Airport (TPA)
  • Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:50 am
criticalmass wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:44 am

I'm not sure why you think I am confused. The thread is about Global Entry (and specifically application wait times). Someone suggested Mobile Passport which is fine, but I was merely pointing out that it is not the same and doesn't give you pre-check. You quoted my post and made other suggestions that give you pre-check which is fine but doesn't negate what I said. Some of us have credit cards or companies that pay the fee so the amount is not relevant to us. The OP seems to have already applied for Global Entry so they aren't going to pull the app as the fee has already been paid and they aren't looking for other options. People stray off topic and then call me confused :oops: .
To clarify for you, Mobile Passport app is an excellent replacement for Global Entry (the thread topic), which provides a Global Entry kiosk in lieu of a (sometimes) longer line for immigration. In my experience, I've gotten through the airport much quicker with Mobile Passport than colleagues arriving with me who used Global Entry. The application does not replace Pre-Check, which is not Global Entry. The downsides of Global Entry include the $100 fee, plus a long wait time, plus an interview, plus the hassle of getting to the few locations that can do the interview, then repeating the process every 5 years. The mobile application is free to use. No interview, no wait, not scheduling. Many of us don't pay for Pre Check, because the airline provides it automatically. If you really want Pre Check, but need to pay for it, there are lower cost alternatives than buying the whole Global Entry plus long process for (sometimes) expedited immigration handling, which may be replaced by the free mobile application. Again, nobody has claimed that the app provides Pre Check, but it does eliminate the need for Global Entry with its application turnaround times.
Trism

Post by Trism »

Trism wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:22 pm I submitted my renewal application and paid the fee on 1/6/19 and I'm still waiting. Took 25+ minutes to get through the security line at TUS today.
My renewal was approved yesterday, 75 days from application.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

We recently received conditional approval for our GE applications but our local airport office does not have any appointments available until July. However we got an email last week from CBP stating that we could finalize our applications without an appointment when going through CBP on return from an international trip. Since we have such a trip planned in Nay that’s probably what we will do.
Bitzer

Post by Bitzer »

My NEXUS renewal took 2 weeks from the time I applied online to the time the card arrived in my mailbox. No international travel, except visits to Canada, to report since original application 4 years ago. No interview required for renewal. I applied for renewal 51 weeks before expiration.

I know this information doesn't address OP's question, but it may be helpful to others.