Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't quite understand the enthusiasm for the subscription model, at least in a single user situation. I just checked Office 2019 Home & Student for my MacBook, and the 365 subscription is $70/year. While I can buy a full copy on Amazon for $120 and get all security updates and so on. I really don't care about new 'bloatware' features besides an update once or twice a decade, just for the sake of staying with the times... I'm currently using Office 2011 and am quite happy with it, frankly. And I have no use for 1Tb of online storage or whatever freebies Microsoft is adding.

Subscription models are there to lock you in an annual fee, which you pay again and again without paying attention. This is in the seller's interest, and usually NOT in the consumer's interest. I would never lease a car, why would I lease software? Am I missing something?

Trader Joe
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm
It's time to replace our Microsoft Office 2007, I figure we have received our money's worth.

DW was a heavy user of Microsoft Office at MegaCorp, and hasn't warmed up to the free software like libreoffice and others.

In researching various offerings online, there are prices I am wary of accepting. I want to buy a genuine and legal Microsoft product that will receive any and all updates.

Though I want the genuine product, I am looking for options that would be cheaper then direct purchase from Microsoft.

Any reputable vendors I should consider?

Actual experiences of those using a particular software seller would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Microsoft offers any discounted products to holders of their stock (direct, not through a fund)....

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I dumped Microsoft in 2007. I would NEVER pay for a subscription.

Take a look at this. Same thing as Microsoft Office. FREE:

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm
It's time to replace our Microsoft Office 2007, I figure we have received our money's worth.

DW was a heavy user of Microsoft Office at MegaCorp, and hasn't warmed up to the free software like libreoffice and others.

In researching various offerings online, there are prices I am wary of accepting. I want to buy a genuine and legal Microsoft product that will receive any and all updates.

Though I want the genuine product, I am looking for options that would be cheaper then direct purchase from Microsoft.

Any reputable vendors I should consider?

Actual experiences of those using a particular software seller would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Microsoft offers any discounted products to holders of their stock (direct, not through a fund)....

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I dumped Microsoft in 2007. I would NEVER pay for a subscription.

Take a look at this. Same thing as Microsoft Office. FREE:

https://www.libreoffice.org/
No thanks! You are late to the party, I bought the product yesterday for $99 and today Amazon delivered my $50 gift card. So first year net $49.

And, no, libreoffice isn't the same thing as Microsoft Office. I had no issues with it, but my use was very minimal. Wife has scads of documents, and detested libreoffice.

I think we will be able to afford the subscription each year. Perhaps Billy and his Microsoft minions will add a little bit to Microsoft's dividend to help me.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm

siamond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:32 pm
I don't quite understand the enthusiasm for the subscription model, at least in a single user situation. I just checked Office 2019 Home & Student for my MacBook, and the 365 subscription is $70/year. While I can buy a full copy on Amazon for $120 and get all security updates and so on. I really don't care about new 'bloatware' features besides an update once or twice a decade, just for the sake of staying with the times... I'm currently using Office 2011 and am quite happy with it, frankly. And I have no use for 1Tb of online storage or whatever freebies Microsoft is adding.

Subscription models are there to lock you in an annual fee, which you pay again and again without paying attention. This is in the seller's interest, and usually NOT in the consumer's interest. I would never lease a car, why would I lease software? Am I missing something?
Actually I started my quest looking for a good price on Office 2019. However, after doing some research that I should have done BEFORE my quest, I discovered Office 2019 wouldn't work.

Wife has two machines, running Windows 7 and Windows 10. My PC runs Windows 8.1. She has many applications she uses for crafting that only run on Windows 7. Office 2019 requires Windows 10. No good for us.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm
Actually I started my quest looking for a good price on Office 2019. However, after doing some research that I should have done BEFORE my quest, I discovered Office 2019 wouldn't work.

Wife has two machines, running Windows 7 and Windows 10. My PC runs Windows 8.1. She has many applications she uses for crafting that only run on Windows 7. Office 2019 requires Windows 10. No good for us.
Office 365 works on Windows 7/8 and Office 2019 does not? That is rather strange. I just checked online and I found the same as you did. Very puzzling, I have to say. Seems like a business strategy to me, not a technical issue.

Ok, I understand your specific situation. I still don't understand why so many posts supporting the subscription model. I mean, I've looked at software subscription models from the other side (as part of a strategy & planning team) a few years ago, and really, the only point was to improve the company's finances (and operational model) to the detriment of the customer. The rest is just a marketing screen of smoke...

lazydavid
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by lazydavid » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:47 pm
Actually I started my quest looking for a good price on Office 2019. However, after doing some research that I should have done BEFORE my quest, I discovered Office 2019 wouldn't work.

Wife has two machines, running Windows 7 and Windows 10. My PC runs Windows 8.1. She has many applications she uses for crafting that only run on Windows 7. Office 2019 requires Windows 10. No good for us.
You definitely want the subscription then. The standard $99/year, which is apparently $49 right now, includes five user accounts, each of which can install the software on 7 PCs and 5 mobile devices. Windows 7 is supported--I actually just deployed Office365 to 350 Windows 7 machines about two months ago (replacing Office 2016). Each user also gets 1TB of onedrive storage.

By contrast, the $120 perpetual version would allow you to install one copy on the Windows 10 machine.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:06 pm

TdF fan wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:24 pm
TrustButVerifying wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:11 am
.
.
.
Also, I think the comments about no security updates for old versions of Office are off base (at least for 2010 and newer versions of Microsoft Office). I am not sure about other versions but I checked the Office update history by opening one of the Office applications and then clicking File, Account, Options and finally View Updates. On my PC running Windows 10, I have been getting Office 2013 security updates once a month.
Just as an FYI, Extended Support (security updates) for Office 2010 ends on 10/13/2020 and for Office 2013 on 4/11/2023.

Office 2010:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... arch/13615

Office 2013:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/lif ... arch/16674
In 2020 and 2023, we can buy stand-alone versions of Microsoft Office to replace Office 2010 and Office 2013, respectively. It will still be cheaper than paying for the subscription service for several years.

And even if it were more expensive, I'd rather lose a few dollar to have a stand-alone version than use a subscription.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:14 pm

siamond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Ok, I understand your specific situation. I still don't understand why so many posts supporting the subscription model. I mean, I've looked at software subscription models from the other side (as part of a strategy & planning team) a few years ago, and really, the only point was to improve the company's finances (and operational model) to the detriment of the customer. The rest is just a marketing screen of smoke...
It depends on the use case.

On-prem perpetual licensed software is fine if the software is mature and/or if the work doesn’t require collaboration.

Last week I had to put together a quarterly business review doc that required input from a dozen different functions. We used [subscription] Google Docs, and everyone edited it in real time. I have no idea how I could have done this with on-prem Office. Each person taking a turn to the doc and emailing it back and forth? How much extra time would that have required?

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by pondering » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:21 pm

People have been creating group docs via email since email was created.

Google docs is a step forward.

Learning some serious javascript to write a simple macro isn't.

It really depends on use case, and the training needs of the users.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:14 pm
siamond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Ok, I understand your specific situation. I still don't understand why so many posts supporting the subscription model. I mean, I've looked at software subscription models from the other side (as part of a strategy & planning team) a few years ago, and really, the only point was to improve the company's finances (and operational model) to the detriment of the customer. The rest is just a marketing screen of smoke...
It depends on the use case.

On-prem perpetual licensed software is fine if the software is mature and/or if the work doesn’t require collaboration.

Last week I had to put together a quarterly business review doc that required input from a dozen different functions. We used [subscription] Google Docs, and everyone edited it in real time. I have no idea how I could have done this with on-prem Office. Each person taking a turn to the doc and emailing it back and forth? How much extra time would that have required?
Online collaboration is one thing (and yes, it can be a wonderful thing indeed). An annual/recurring software subscription model is another. Those are orthogonal issues, irrespective of what product marketing teams try so hard to make you believe... Now yes, some marketing departments go as far as blackmailing you by not providing collaboration features when not using their subscription pricing scheme. All of that is directly against the best interest of the customer, of course. I might end up buying Office 2019 (flat fee) in a year or two, just because it is glaringly obvious that this will probably be the last version without a recurring subscription... I am not in a rush though.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm
I might end up buying Office 2019 (flat fee) in a year or two, just because it is glaringly obvious that this will probably be the last version without a recurring subscription... I am not in a rush though.
If Microsoft supports its stand-alone versions for 10 years (see the discussion above about Office 2010 until 2020, Office 2013 until 2023), what is the advantage of waiting for a year or two to get Office 2019?

My strategy is to watch its price on Amazon and get it when it drops by a nice amount. Around the Christmas time, I will also be checking NewEgg prices.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Camelcamelcamel watches Amazon prices for you.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:14 pm
siamond wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:04 pm
Ok, I understand your specific situation. I still don't understand why so many posts supporting the subscription model. I mean, I've looked at software subscription models from the other side (as part of a strategy & planning team) a few years ago, and really, the only point was to improve the company's finances (and operational model) to the detriment of the customer. The rest is just a marketing screen of smoke...
It depends on the use case.

On-prem perpetual licensed software is fine if the software is mature and/or if the work doesn’t require collaboration.

Last week I had to put together a quarterly business review doc that required input from a dozen different functions. We used [subscription] Google Docs, and everyone edited it in real time. I have no idea how I could have done this with on-prem Office. Each person taking a turn to the doc and emailing it back and forth? How much extra time would that have required?
Online collaboration is one thing (and yes, it can be a wonderful thing indeed). An annual/recurring software subscription model is another. Those are orthogonal issues, irrespective of what product marketing teams try so hard to make you believe?
Are you suggesting that, architecturally speaking, real time document collaboration does not require centralized hosting?

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:25 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 pm
Are you suggesting that, architecturally speaking, real time document collaboration does not require centralized hosting?
You can architect it the way you want (easier with a centralized component, although it doesn't have to be), this is a technical & architectural matter. The pricing scheme (recurring subscription model or one-time license) is a completely different (and fully orthogonal) matter. A one-time license doesn't mean that the software is hosted on your computer (fully or partly) if this is what you had in mind, it can accommodate ANY architecture. As I said, the marketing guys try to conflate the two dimensions, but they are entirely independent. Clearly, Microsoft received a lot of backlash from their enterprise customers, otherwise Office 2019 wouldn't have the two options, but at the end, I fear that their marketing is just too powerful, given Office's market share.

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:38 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:52 pm
siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:31 pm
I might end up buying Office 2019 (flat fee) in a year or two, just because it is glaringly obvious that this will probably be the last version without a recurring subscription... I am not in a rush though.
If Microsoft supports its stand-alone versions for 10 years (see the discussion above about Office 2010 until 2020, Office 2013 until 2023), what is the advantage of waiting for a year or two to get Office 2019?

My strategy is to watch its price on Amazon and get it when it drops by a nice amount. Around the Christmas time, I will also be checking NewEgg prices.
Yes, we're basically saying the same thing. I only meant to wait a while for the prices to drop. Well, also because I don't feel any urgent need anyway, plus I'd rather let them work out the early kinks... It's a good idea to set an alert on Amazon, will do right away.

Dottie57
Posts: 7142
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:40 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm
It's time to replace our Microsoft Office 2007, I figure we have received our money's worth.

DW was a heavy user of Microsoft Office at MegaCorp, and hasn't warmed up to the free software like libreoffice and others.

In researching various offerings online, there are prices I am wary of accepting. I want to buy a genuine and legal Microsoft product that will receive any and all updates.

Though I want the genuine product, I am looking for options that would be cheaper then direct purchase from Microsoft.

Any reputable vendors I should consider?

Actual experiences of those using a particular software seller would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Microsoft offers any discounted products to holders of their stock (direct, not through a fund)....

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I suspect the security model of Office 365 is better.

If you buy MS Office then you "lock" on a particular year and eventually they stop updates. And (hypothesis) the security updates will be less frequent or at least less quick.

speculation

The internet is all about security now - security and authenticity (authentication e.g. only real identities on social media) are the big themes of the internet, going forward. A business model founded on vertical ownership of the customer, the customer's data and the customer's use of services (the Apple "ap" model). Tim Wu predicted this in his book on the parallels with the early days of telephones.

end of speculation


One consequence of speculation: Software rental is the model now.
Don’t want to pay every year for little used functionality. When they force subscription, I will bail out to open source.

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:40 pm
I suspect the security model of Office 365 is better.

If you buy MS Office then you "lock" on a particular year and eventually they stop updates. And (hypothesis) the security updates will be less frequent or at least less quick.

speculation

The internet is all about security now - security and authenticity (authentication e.g. only real identities on social media) are the big themes of the internet, going forward. A business model founded on vertical ownership of the customer, the customer's data and the customer's use of services (the Apple "ap" model). Tim Wu predicted this in his book on the parallels with the early days of telephones.

end of speculation

One consequence of speculation: Software rental is the model now.
Actually, it is more likely to be the reverse way around. The subscription models usually tout the uninterrupted flow of new features. But... where do security issues typically come from? New features! And it's a never ending cycle. While the one-time license usually comes with security updates and bug fixes and no more (all good things for improved security). One thing Microsoft has been good at (so far) is to keep such updates going for a long time (e.g. a decade) which is very cool. I hope they'll do the same with Office 2019, although I have some doubts.

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:25 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:12 pm
Are you suggesting that, architecturally speaking, real time document collaboration does not require centralized hosting?
You can architect it the way you want (easier with a centralized component, although it doesn't have to be), this is a technical & architectural matter. The pricing scheme (recurring subscription model or one-time license) is a completely different (and fully orthogonal) matter. A one-time license doesn't mean that the software is hosted on your computer (fully or partly) if this is what you had in mind, it can accommodate ANY architecture. As I said, the marketing guys try to conflate the two dimensions, but they are entirely independent. Clearly, Microsoft received a lot of backlash from their enterprise customers, otherwise Office 2019 wouldn't have the two options, but at the end, I fear that their marketing is just too powerful, given Office's market share.
Hosted software comes with a different cost profile; someone has to pay for operating and maintaining the servers.

But in any case, a good marketer would actually price the subscription and perpetual license options as NPV equivalent (assuming the features are identical) for the customer.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:51 pm

I think our Office 2007 might no longer be updating, probably stopped in 2017. RIP!

All hail Office 365! Next week I need to download the software and set up my mail accounts to point to Outlook.

Perhaps sometime in the future I'll convert to Windows 10, then I can buy a copy of Office 20XX (whatever is latest available) and leave the subscription world. In the meantime, first year Office 365 being $49, I can handle it. One benefit to LBYMs is being able to not feel you need to justify to yourself every dollar spent. Honestly, I feel it unhealthy to obsess about spending decisions, unless one's finances are genuinely harmed by the decision. Shop your product, and buy. Like an investment portfolio, some times "good enough" is good enough. For me, Office 365 is good enough, subscription and all.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm

HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 pm
Hosted software comes with a different cost profile; someone has to pay for operating and maintaining the servers.

But in any case, a good marketer would actually price the subscription and perpetual license options as NPV equivalent (assuming the features are identical) for the customer.
Pricing has little to do with costs or best customer interest... It has everything to do with how much you think you can make the (typically uninformed) customer pay... WAY different... And the answer is strikingly different between subscription models and license models... Pricing is a strange world, in finance as well as in sales... :shock:

Trader Joe
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Trader Joe » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:14 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 pm
Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm
It's time to replace our Microsoft Office 2007, I figure we have received our money's worth.

DW was a heavy user of Microsoft Office at MegaCorp, and hasn't warmed up to the free software like libreoffice and others.

In researching various offerings online, there are prices I am wary of accepting. I want to buy a genuine and legal Microsoft product that will receive any and all updates.

Though I want the genuine product, I am looking for options that would be cheaper then direct purchase from Microsoft.

Any reputable vendors I should consider?

Actual experiences of those using a particular software seller would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Microsoft offers any discounted products to holders of their stock (direct, not through a fund)....

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I dumped Microsoft in 2007. I would NEVER pay for a subscription.

Take a look at this. Same thing as Microsoft Office. FREE:

https://www.libreoffice.org/
No thanks! You are late to the party, I bought the product yesterday for $99 and today Amazon delivered my $50 gift card. So first year net $49.

And, no, libreoffice isn't the same thing as Microsoft Office. I had no issues with it, but my use was very minimal. Wife has scads of documents, and detested libreoffice.

I think we will be able to afford the subscription each year. Perhaps Billy and his Microsoft minions will add a little bit to Microsoft's dividend to help me.

Broken Man 1999
I disagree. I think that you are way late to the party. Please, feel free to waste your money. Best of luck to you.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18984
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:19 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 pm
Hosted software comes with a different cost profile; someone has to pay for operating and maintaining the servers.

But in any case, a good marketer would actually price the subscription and perpetual license options as NPV equivalent (assuming the features are identical) for the customer.
Pricing has little to do with costs or best customer interest... It has everything to do with how much you think you can make the (typically uninformed) customer pay... WAY different... And the answer is strikingly different between subscription models and license models... Pricing is a strange world, in finance as well as in sales... :shock:
I wholeheartedly agree with siamond. As I am investigating various software solutions (other than Microsoft's), I am struck by how much companies emphasize their "30-day free trials" and coupons and small savings for the initial several months. Frequently, the full-cost information is buried under several layers of menus.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

HEDGEFUNDIE
Posts: 3651
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:37 pm

siamond wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:11 pm
HEDGEFUNDIE wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:27 pm
Hosted software comes with a different cost profile; someone has to pay for operating and maintaining the servers.

But in any case, a good marketer would actually price the subscription and perpetual license options as NPV equivalent (assuming the features are identical) for the customer.
Pricing has little to do with costs or best customer interest... It has everything to do with how much you think you can make the (typically uninformed) customer pay... WAY different... And the answer is strikingly different between subscription models and license models... Pricing is a strange world, in finance as well as in sales... :shock:
The market is efficient. If the pricing was out of line with the value delivered, the competition would take advantage.

We are already seeing this now with G Suite taking share from Microsoft Office, even on the Enterprise side.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:42 pm

Trader Joe wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:14 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:39 pm
Trader Joe wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:24 pm
It's time to replace our Microsoft Office 2007, I figure we have received our money's worth.

DW was a heavy user of Microsoft Office at MegaCorp, and hasn't warmed up to the free software like libreoffice and others.

In researching various offerings online, there are prices I am wary of accepting. I want to buy a genuine and legal Microsoft product that will receive any and all updates.

Though I want the genuine product, I am looking for options that would be cheaper then direct purchase from Microsoft.

Any reputable vendors I should consider?

Actual experiences of those using a particular software seller would be greatly appreciated!

I wonder if Microsoft offers any discounted products to holders of their stock (direct, not through a fund)....

Thanks!

Broken Man 1999
I dumped Microsoft in 2007. I would NEVER pay for a subscription.

Take a look at this. Same thing as Microsoft Office. FREE:

https://www.libreoffice.org/
No thanks! You are late to the party, I bought the product yesterday for $99 and today Amazon delivered my $50 gift card. So first year net $49.

And, no, libreoffice isn't the same thing as Microsoft Office. I had no issues with it, but my use was very minimal. Wife has scads of documents, and detested libreoffice.

I think we will be able to afford the subscription each year. Perhaps Billy and his Microsoft minions will add a little bit to Microsoft's dividend to help me.

Broken Man 1999
I disagree. I think that you are way late to the party. Please, feel free to waste your money. Best of luck to you.
Well now I just don't know what to think. One poster said I had more money than I knew what to do with, so I figured spending some would be the right thing to do, but now it appears I am wasting money! I am so confused.....

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 1052
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by pondering » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 am

It sounds like you are trying to help you wife.

You should be focused on making sure she can handle the scads of documents that she needs to complete.

That may mean you are just able to upgrade to a new platform when the need arises. It may be helpful to try out the new software, but remember that a lot of software lock in comes from usage and it can be hard to switch back and forth.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 am

pondering wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 am
It sounds like you are trying to help you wife.

You should be focused on making sure she can handle the scads of documents that she needs to complete.

That may mean you are just able to upgrade to a new platform when the need arises. It may be helpful to try out the new software, but remember that a lot of software lock in comes from usage and it can be hard to switch back and forth.
I told her last night I had purchased the subscription. What she does with that info is her business. Ain't no way I will be messing around in her machines. I would be in serious trouble if I lost a file, or program. I see zero upside and substantial downside from touching her machines. Truth be told, I'll probably get her to help me, as she is pretty clever about things like this.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

bloom2708
Posts: 6963
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by bloom2708 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 am
pondering wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 am
It sounds like you are trying to help you wife.

You should be focused on making sure she can handle the scads of documents that she needs to complete.

That may mean you are just able to upgrade to a new platform when the need arises. It may be helpful to try out the new software, but remember that a lot of software lock in comes from usage and it can be hard to switch back and forth.
I told her last night I had purchased the subscription. What she does with that info is her business. Ain't no way I will be messing around in her machines. I would be in serious trouble if I lost a file, or program. I see zero upside and substantial downside from touching her machines. Truth be told, I'll probably get her to help me, as she is pretty clever about things like this.

Broken Man 1999
You can invite her "Microsoft email account" to install Office.

Let's say you are brokenman1999@outlook.com. You add your Office 365 subscription to your account. Install.

If you bought the version with multiple accounts, you go to office.com/myaccount or similar and find the place to share with other users.

Invite brokenwoman1999@outlook.com (whatever email she uses to log into her laptops).

She will get an email and can click the link to install.

At some point, I would uninstall old Office 2007 components. Having multiple versions can cause confusion. If you have old shortcuts you may switch between old/new Excel. You don't have to, but one less thing to maintain.

Your new Office subscription will always be current with updates.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words. Whole food, plant based. Bing it.

Topic Author
Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3472
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:35 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:29 am
pondering wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:20 am
It sounds like you are trying to help you wife.

You should be focused on making sure she can handle the scads of documents that she needs to complete.

That may mean you are just able to upgrade to a new platform when the need arises. It may be helpful to try out the new software, but remember that a lot of software lock in comes from usage and it can be hard to switch back and forth.
I told her last night I had purchased the subscription. What she does with that info is her business. Ain't no way I will be messing around in her machines. I would be in serious trouble if I lost a file, or program. I see zero upside and substantial downside from touching her machines. Truth be told, I'll probably get her to help me, as she is pretty clever about things like this.

Broken Man 1999
You can invite her "Microsoft email account" to install Office.

Let's say you are brokenman1999@outlook.com. You add your Office 365 subscription to your account. Install.

If you bought the version with multiple accounts, you go to office.com/myaccount or similar and find the place to share with other users.

Invite brokenwoman1999@outlook.com (whatever email she uses to log into her laptops).

She will get an email and can click the link to install.

At some point, I would uninstall old Office 2007 components. Having multiple versions can cause confusion. If you have old shortcuts you may switch between old/new Excel. You don't have to, but one less thing to maintain.

Your new Office subscription will always be current with updates.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check this out.

In a perfect world for us, she would move everything she could from her Windows 7 machine to her Windows 10 machine and no longer need internet access on her Windows 7 machine. If no 'net access needed, no worry about security of Office 2007. I believe she doesn't need 'net access for the programs she is trying to keep usable (fingers crossed).

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

KyleAAA
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 am

MSFT is currently the top holding in the Total Stock Market Index fund. Please do us all a favor and pay the annual subscription so our 401ks go up 0.00001%.

For real though, the Outlook 365 cloud version is dramatically superior to the installed version if you actually need Office. If you just need to write emails and type up documents, there are free options that are just as good. Office is the Cadillac of productivity suites. Don't buy a Cadillac if a Toyota will do. But don't pretend things like LibreOffice or Google Docs are the same thing as Microsoft Office. They are not. Honestly, I can't think of a compelling reason to buy shrink-wrapped Office anymore. Either pay for the cloud version or get by with a free alternative.

User avatar
siamond
Posts: 5022
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by siamond » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:59 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:58 am
For real though, the Outlook 365 cloud version is dramatically superior to the installed version if you actually need Office.
What is it that you find so 'dramatically superior'? Just trying to understand...

michaelingp
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by michaelingp » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am


By contrast, the $120 perpetual version would allow you to install one copy on the Windows 10 machine.
Are you sure? In the past Microsoft has been pretty lenient about allowing you to install on, say, both your desktop and your laptop, i.e. more than one machine.

lazydavid
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by lazydavid » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:21 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am


By contrast, the $120 perpetual version would allow you to install one copy on the Windows 10 machine.
Are you sure? In the past Microsoft has been pretty lenient about allowing you to install on, say, both your desktop and your laptop, i.e. more than one machine.
Absolutely positive:

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 39bd27eb96
Microsoft wrote: One-time purchases can be installed once on either a PC or Mac.

With Office 365 Home, you can install Office 365 on all your devices and sign in to five at the same time―that means you can use Office no matter where you are or what device you’re on. This includes PCs, Macs, tablets, and phones. You can also share you subscription with up to five other people.
Here's a slide from the deck where they introduced Office 2019:

https://cdn.neow.in/news/images/uploade ... 71_ios.jpg

Now, it is sometimes technically possible to get the same key working on two machines for a period of time, as the license only requires periodic re-activation. But it's still a violation of the license terms, and therefore illegal.

Kruser64
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Kruser64 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Well I believe the Office365 flavor supports stock quotes but the standalone version does not. For me this is a major feature.

But I also am in the camp of subscription overload. It's not a cost thing - it's a life simplicity thing. The more of these autopayment subscription things I have, the more to keep track of/untangle eventually by me or my estate or by someone.

At least for now, I am sticking with Excel 2016 standalone and copy/paste quotes every 2 weeks or whatever. Feels simpler.

-Kruser64

TravelGeek
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:21 pm
michaelingp wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:11 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:15 am


By contrast, the $120 perpetual version would allow you to install one copy on the Windows 10 machine.
Are you sure? In the past Microsoft has been pretty lenient about allowing you to install on, say, both your desktop and your laptop, i.e. more than one machine.
Absolutely positive:
My 2007 version of Office Home and Student allowed install on up to three machines. I guess they have taken that benefit away in order to better sell their Office 365 Home offering (Wallstreet is looking for subscription revenue growth from software vendors, not on prem license revenue).

Interestingly there is also an Office 365 version that only allows one machine/user.

https://products.office.com/en-us/compa ... products-b

For me personally LibreOffice does everything I need for locally stored documents (Google Docs for some other things). I can understand that the relatively small cost is not a reason for someone very familiar with Microsoft’s products to switch and deal with conversion issues.

lazydavid
Posts: 2584
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by lazydavid » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm
My 2007 version of Office Home and Student allowed install on up to three machines. I guess they have taken that benefit away in order to better sell their Office 365 Home offering (Wallstreet is looking for subscription revenue growth from software vendors, not on prem license revenue).
Yes, the Home and Student version used to be a special exception case. It did not come with the entire suite (still doesn't), and originally allowed installation on 3 PCs. This was reduced to 2, and then to 1.
TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm
Interestingly there is also an Office 365 version that only allows one machine/user.
Machine != User, so be careful not to conflate the two. The Office 365 personal Subscription includes a license for just one user, but that user can do all of the same things that each of the 6 users on the Home subscription can do. They can install it on multiple PCs (used to be 5, now unspecified, rumored to be 7), and multiple mobile devices (again used to be 5, is now unlimited), has a 1TB OneDrive, etc. etc.

Assuming the per-user limit is actually 7 PCs, in theory the 365 Home subscription could be installed on as many as forty-two PCs/Macs and still be in compliance with the license terms. Realistically no one actually does this. But that's a lot of flexibility for $99/year, compared to the one PC that the $249 Office 2019 Home and Business (-$100 for Home and Student if you don't want Outlook, + $190 for Professional if you do want Access and Publisher) perpetual license allows.

TravelGeek
Posts: 3103
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:00 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:44 am
TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:39 pm
Interestingly there is also an Office 365 version that only allows one machine/user.
Machine != User, so be careful not to conflate the two.
Right, sorry. One user.

anoop
Posts: 1053
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by anoop » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:12 pm

6Pack wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm
Look into the Microsoft Home Use Program. If your employer participates, then you can get Office 2019 for $15. I’m upset because it was $12 for Office 2016.

I know for a fact that many federal government agencies participate in this program.

Note: this is NOT a scam. It’s offered as an employment benefit through enterprise licensing with your employer (if your employer participates in the program).

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
This is no longer an option (the part in the bold text above). The HUP has changed to being a 30% discount on the $100 price of Office 365 to be paid annually.

This is why MSFT is skyrocketing and remains the most valuable company. They are going to be raking it in.

Sure I get 1 TB of online storage, but I don't trust that it won't get hacked, so I don't plan to use it for anything useful.

mav12
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by mav12 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:01 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:06 pm
.....
In 2020 and 2023, we can buy stand-alone versions of Microsoft Office to replace Office 2010 and Office 2013, respectively. It will still be cheaper than paying for the subscription service for several years.

And even if it were more expensive, I'd rather lose a few dollar to have a stand-alone version than use a subscription.

Victoria
I agree with you and many others who oppose the subscription model. Currently use 2013 and it is sufficient. Unless you do a lot of data scraping from website, you don't need the new version.

Microsoft had though this through. though. They crippled the stand alone 2019 and added more features to Office 365 (2019).....

Alternatively, we can use for free: Google Docs/Sheets, Libre & OpenOffice. All will get the job done.

Microsoft wants to generate extra revenue, by locking the users (again), like with Internet Explorer when introduced Win 95.
Just a heads up, there could also be a time when the OS will be cloud based. Windows Virtual Desktop, time to look into Linux (Mint, Ubantu and so forth) all are free and secure.

User avatar
RickBoglehead
Posts: 4921
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:10 am
Location: In a house

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:15 am

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:52 pm

For students you don't need a discount - Office 365 is free for students. You just need a school email address. Free for all students and teachers with a school email address:
https://products.office.com/en-us/stude ... -education
This is not exactly correct. This is true if your school participates.. I was a student in 2017, planned on doing this, and found that my school was not included. DW works in a public school and found the same. Both organizations are big Google software users. I am trying both email addresses again today.

Edit - I just verified that my student ID gives me Office 365, only if I'm logged in on my student ID, online only. I cannot install it on a PC. I have no idea when or if that access would get turned off unfortunately.

Edit - I have verified that the same is true for my wife's school email address. Both her school system, and my college, do not participate in the download feature, probably because both are centered on Google's software.

So we have online access to Office 365, but then everything gets stored online, we have to then remember to download, and access is dependent on the employer keeping things running. While this might work for when Office 2010 support is discontinued late in 2020, once my wife retires in 2021 we'd have no access guaranteed.

I suspect that due to retirement, we'll shift to Google Docs because more advanced usage won't be necessary.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Dottie57
Posts: 7142
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:30 am

6Pack wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm
Look into the Microsoft Home Use Program. If your employer participates, then you can get Office 2019 for $15. I’m upset because it was $12 for Office 2016.

I know for a fact that many federal government agencies participate in this program.

Note: this is NOT a scam. It’s offered as an employment benefit through enterprise licensing with your employer (if your employer participates in the program).

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx
I have used this program. My use is extremely casual and wanted the cheapest option.

User avatar
Nestegg_User
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:53 am

I'll give a little counterpoint:
an elderly retiree (late 70's) that I know was having a real problem with her computer....she's had a computer, of various sorts, for some time so wasn't totally unawares. Turns out, her hubby, when they purchased their last computer, had used the 365 subscription model of office and was involved with all network and system setups. He had passed a couple of years before, and if there were any notifications, these must have been ignored (remember, permanent licenses expire... they just remind you that you aren't receiving updates anymore).

ALL her files were ** lost ** when the subscription lapsed!
I had checked everything and even sub folders not directly associated with MS were gone (and the virus software was still there, working and updating). (fortunately, some very important files were also stored in separate backup hard drives) Most people are familiar with the aspects of permanent licenses and may not be familiar with aspects of cloud systems (she had no record of OneCloud so no way to reconnect to get those records... even if the software wasn't available). He had apparently gotten the three year license and failed to inform her of the situation (and obviously failed to fully document important aspects of the system which may have mitigated the damage) and wasn't around anymore to help. All I could do is have her put together enough info to perhaps get a copy of the older licensed software so that she still had access to the information; she really only had need for email and photo anymore so no real need for advanced feature sets (and as I noted, she still kept up the virus protection).


Me.... I use the permanent license style, as the cost per year over the likely usage period is known (remember that they can change the annual update cost, it's in the licenses agreement), I don't have to rely on availability (and also -- trust--) of an internet connection (especially if I happen to take it overseas). Having been in a regulatory environment at one point in career, where everything had to be locked down (wasn't in IT), when every change order had to be meticulously examined with every macro checked and import location verified.... I can't imagine any regulatory agency using a subscription model (that could change on the whim of the provider.... that's just not acceptable).
I'm with Victoria on this aspect... and will change to open source if needed when the software is no longer viable...assuming I even have a need at that time.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by CardinalRule » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 am

I was sorry to see Microsoft axe Office 2019 from the HUP recently. And I'm glad I bought the standalone 2019 version for $15 before it did. The 30% discount on subscription price for HUP is not that compelling to me, at least not now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/home-us ... -questions

6Pack wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:33 pm
Look into the Microsoft Home Use Program. If your employer participates, then you can get Office 2019 for $15. I’m upset because it was $12 for Office 2016.

I know for a fact that many federal government agencies participate in this program.

Note: this is NOT a scam. It’s offered as an employment benefit through enterprise licensing with your employer (if your employer participates in the program).

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 57790
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 pm

^^^ I just received the Microsoft email at work.

I'm glad that I already purchased both Office 2016 and Office 2019 through the Home Use program. I don't want my stuff online anywhere.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Buford T Justice
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:33 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Buford T Justice » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:04 pm
Read the fine print with all programs.
Just to echo what bloom said:

My federal Agency ended its home use program with Microsoft. As part of the terms of the ended agreement, the Agency was required to notify employees they were required to delete all copies of home use program software they had purchased...

BBQ Nut
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:19 am

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by BBQ Nut » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:28 pm

Give me the license to own.

After subscribing to cable and streaming services it just bugs the *@#(*$% out of me to be subjected to monthly price creep ups.

Own it and it'll pay for itself over time vs subscribing.

And the cloud stuff - when I got my MS Win10 laptop it had that cloud service thang...man, the syncing of local and cloud storage just dragged performance to a crawl. I cut that off lickity split.

But, that's just me.

MichCPA
Posts: 829
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:06 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by MichCPA » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:15 pm

I admit that I am a power user at work (Pivots, Power BI excel add on, advanced finance formulas, etc.), but because of that whenever to try to provide support for my fiancee, whose work uses Google Docs, I want to stick a fork in my eye.

Google Docs are fine for casual users. For high level business apps and pulling data from multiple sources, Microsoft is still king. The cloud subscription comes with enough extra storage and applications that it is worthwhile for the high level user.

mav12
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by mav12 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 pm
^^^ I just received the Microsoft email at work.

I'm glad that I already purchased both Office 2016 and Office 2019 through the Home Use program. I don't want my stuff online anywhere.

to add to you comments
Microsoft OneDrive
The Microsoft terms of service gives Microsoft employees permission to view the files stored on their servers, to ensure users are in compliance with the Microsoft terms of service.

KyleAAA
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by KyleAAA » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm

mav12 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 pm
^^^ I just received the Microsoft email at work.

I'm glad that I already purchased both Office 2016 and Office 2019 through the Home Use program. I don't want my stuff online anywhere.

to add to you comments
Microsoft OneDrive
The Microsoft terms of service gives Microsoft employees permission to view the files stored on their servers, to ensure users are in compliance with the Microsoft terms of service.
Could you provide a link? This sounds incorrect to me, and I can assure you Microsoft employees don’t have access to your files. Besides, you can encrypt everything in your onedrive easily. There are automated classifiers that occasionally run to flag illegal content, but employees can’t access your files. Even the engineers can’t do it without a thousand alarms sounding.

User avatar
Rob5TCP
Posts: 3385
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:51 pm

I've bought MS Office on sale at NewEgg.
It doesn't have the crazy $25 price, but I don't trust those offers.
I've registered mine with MS without a problem and have
transferred the license (this year) when I replaced my computer.

Some of the so called discount have difficulty registering
(with good reasons).

I waited until the sale price was good.
I believe support runs through 2025 and will save me
several hundred from not paying annually.

I will worry what to do it 2025.

User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Best place to buy Microsoft Office 2019....

Post by CardinalRule » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:08 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:07 pm
mav12 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:27 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:11 pm
^^^ I just received the Microsoft email at work.

I'm glad that I already purchased both Office 2016 and Office 2019 through the Home Use program. I don't want my stuff online anywhere.

to add to you comments
Microsoft OneDrive
The Microsoft terms of service gives Microsoft employees permission to view the files stored on their servers, to ensure users are in compliance with the Microsoft terms of service.
Could you provide a link? This sounds incorrect to me, and I can assure you Microsoft employees don’t have access to your files. Besides, you can encrypt everything in your onedrive easily. There are automated classifiers that occasionally run to flag illegal content, but employees can’t access your files. Even the engineers can’t do it without a thousand alarms sounding.
I don't think that there is a legal, routine permission like that. There can of course can be valid concerns with storing things in the cloud, but not due to the terms of service.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/service ... fault.aspx

Post Reply