32 Inch HD vs UHD LG Monitors at Costco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
EZ James

32 Inch HD vs UHD LG Monitors at Costco

Post by EZ James »

I have vision issues and want the best budget priced monitor I can find. Costco had the 32" LGMA70HY-P HD unit for $150 in December and the LG32UK50T-W unit for $350. One thing that swayed me to the HD unit is that it advertised an IPS screen where the Costco ad for UHD unit did not mention it. Going elsewhere I found the viewing angles are 178/178 which is what I would expect with an IPS screen so that part is ok. I have an I5-3570k cpu with integrated HD4000 graphics and confirmed it will support the higher resolution.

Viewing the video demos running on both monitors told me very little. I want something that shows great ascii text like we use on documents. That trumps color accuracy and gaming features for me.

My main concern is that the text will be smaller on the UHD monitor.

I would like to know if there is such a dramatic increase in clarity with the higher density monitor that the smaller text is not a big problem and also if the higher density takes advantage of the extra white space that results from smaller text.

In the meantime I bought the HD unit and have been very happy with it. But I still have two weeks to decide if I want to return it and get the UHD unit. The UHD unit is still on sale for $350 but I don't want to pay so much more for a slight improvement.

Any words of wisdom appreciated. Thank you.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: 32 Inch HD vs UHD LG Monitors at Costco

Post by oldcomputerguy »

If you change no settings on the PC, then yes, things will be displayed smaller. You should be able to change settings on the computer to bring the rendered size up to compensate, however. I have done exactly this when switching to a 1920 x 1080 display (the resolution your current monitor has) from a monitor with a lesser resolution.

Will the change in clarity be enough to justify the increased price? Hard to say.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

Yeah, I hear ya. You can always zoom...maybe even change fonts but it's kind of a nuisance .

I looking for someone who actually has one and says it's the greatest improvement ever or that's it's just a little nicer and the small text is a problem for old eyes.

Thanks for your input.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

I've had a 29" 4K monitor for a few years, and I love it. I did change the default Windows scaling so that icons and default text sizes are larger, but that's a one-time adjustment. I can't read small text the way I used to.

At that size you really want the higher resolution. At 32", an HD (1920x1080) monitor is going to have visible pixels at typical desk monitor viewing distance. I really appreciate the clarity.

(My Mac is from 2012 and can't drive a 4K monitor, so I have a 29" WQHD 2560x1440 monitor connected to it. That resolution looks pretty good at that size too.)
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I'm not sure I can appreciate the higher res with my vision but I guess the only way to find out is buy the darn thing. If they had decent demos that would not be necessary.

I also have a 2012 Macbookair 11" and don't know the res but I love it. It's faster than my 2016 Dell with an I5 processor for flipping through pages. The Dell has higher res (not 4k) so it's pushing more pixels so maybe that's the reason it's slower. The Mac text looks 'different"..maybe a bit coarse but I can't see the pixels.

I actually have no complaints with this LG monitor even though pixels are visible up close, I guess I just have a FOMO on a big improvement.

Thank you for your response.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I believe the text size will be the same on both.

Regardless, I have a 34” UHD monitor, and I helped my brother buy the 32” one from Costco, so I know which monitors you’re looking at. The combination of the extremely large monitor and relatively low resolution on he HD one was pretty bad. I could see every pixel, and text looked fuzzy because there weren’t enough pixels to make sharp diagonal lines. The UHD one was very sharp. Night and day difference.

Even if it doesn’t say IPS, a 32” ultrawide would need to be IPS. The viewing angle is extreme enough at the edges of the screen that it would be super noticeable if it wasn’t.

I helped my brother shop monitors for over a year. That $350 monitor is great, especially for the price.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

I just checked my calendar and see that the return period has passed so I am no longer entitled to exchange for an UHD monitor.

Thanks to all who replied.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

quantAndHold; Your post snuck in while I was typing my last. Thanks for the information even though it's too late to act. I'm used to the display now and will be content as long as I don't view any better ones. If comes to the point where I can't live without a better monitor, I will buy it and give this one to my sidekick. It was a good deal.
Topic Author
EZ James

Post by EZ James »

UPDATE: I learned that the monitors are not subject to the same return restrictions as computers at Costco so I purchased the UHD model and can return the HD model.

Setup was difficult as Windows 10 did not initially recognize the UHD resolution. Eventually I made a custom profile that works although I had to drop the frame rate to 24 fps to stay within the bandwidth. It seems that the HD4000 video only partially supports 4K. Intel sent a warning that the profile could cause damage. Not a problem for me...I can upgrade the parts if it happens.

The display is great. Very crisp text, no graininess and lots of extra space that I put to good use.

This monitor is a keeper and well worth the extra money to me.