Luggage Carry On 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dh

Luggage Carry On 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall

Post by dh » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm

Hello Bogleheads,

Sadly my 20 year old roller bag (that was always an acceptable carry on) has a broken zipper. I don't trust having the zipper repaired (should I?). I would love to purchase a brand new version of the same bag, but it no longer exists.

Would any of you recommend a great roller bag within the max size: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall (56 x 35 x 23 cm)
? Would anyone recommend fixing the zipper given that the old bag I have is amazing, or is that too risky/complicated?

I have looked, yet no bags I have found include a hook inside to hang shirts to keep them wrinkle free. That was one feature of my old bag that I loved. I know this is an unusual request, but I would appreciate any suggestions.

UpperNwGuy

Re: Luggage Carry On 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:29 pm

There are lots of 22x14x9 bags out there, as that's the standard size, but I don't know of any that satisfy your "hanging shirt" requirement. I just fold my shirts and put them into an Eagle Creek "folder" to keep them from getting crushed or wrinkled.

Post by 123 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:01 pm

Consider getting the zipper replaced. We had an jacket where the zipper failed. Replacing the (maybe) 30 inch zipper cost $45 (!!!) at a local HCOL alterations place. We might have been able to get a somewhat similar jacket for less but it was a favored jacket, fit well, excellent pocket placement, no other signs of wear, etc and it would have taken some time to find a replacement. So we went for a zipper replacement.

Take you luggage piece into a dry cleaner/alterations shop. The very small shops are the best, where the person at the counter is the one who does the alterations. They can tell you whether replacing the zipper is feasible and expected cost. Or you might try a shoe repair shop if you've got one of those around.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:20 pm

You have to make some choices once you’ve decided you’re going to replace the bag—wheels or none? Spinner or 2 wheel?

We have two styles of 2-wheeled bags: delsey helium and Briggs & Riley 22” roller suitcase. We’ve had many years of excellent trips with both. The Briggs & Riley was at Costco on clearance for $139-199 normally $399). The Delsy was under $100. Both are pretty old.

Most luggage places, discount stores, big box places and even department stores are selling mostly 4-wheeled spinners. They are good for very even surfaces like carpets and concrete airports but tougher on cobblestones and uneven surfaces.

Costco has a great return policy and several models to choose among at decent prices, so I generally start there and return it if it doesn’t work out.

Good luck!

steadyeddie8

Post by steadyeddie8 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 pm

https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/carr ... rLEALw_wcB

I have heard Away is supposed to be a new gold standard.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Last we had checked, there were some airlines that had (again) reduced the size to less than 22"... 21.5, for example.
We didn't want to risk it.
It seems to be almost a plot in cahoots with the luggage manufacturers :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

basspond

Post by basspond » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:41 am

If you are looking for more space don’t get the spinners. We have a Samsonite that has two built in wheels on the “depth” side. Makes it easier rolling down the cabin. But it is over 20 years old so I doubt they make it anymore.

Mister A

Post by Mister A » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am

I would highly recommend the "international" size carry-ons, which are about an inch shorter to accommodate overhead bins on non-U.S. carriers.

These avoid the drama that comes with finding out the space is not as advertised and your bag is half an inch too large once you've already boarded U.S. flights.

Eagle Creek makes some good ones and guarantees for life, but I liked my trusty old TravelPro, too.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/shop/top-sel ... n-ec0a34p5
https://www.travelpro.com/crew-11-inter ... rd-4071643

I've had bad experiences with spinner designs. You give up an inch or two for exposed wheels that are more vulnerable to damage and they tend to run top-heavy, so some will be prone to tipping when you put your personal item on top.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 am

Since you like what you have I'd consider the repair. I'm not sure why you say you don't trust repairing the zipper. There are still a few hole-in-the wall specialty luggage/shoe repair shops in my city. They are always busy. I'd take it in and see what they say about it.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am

Get it fixed. There is no reason to believe a local tailor/ alterations shop couldn't replace it with the same or better quality zipper. Any competent tailor can stitch that on securely without a concern.

peseta

Post by peseta » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:55 am

N1CKV wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am
Get it fixed. There is no reason to believe a local tailor/ alterations shop couldn't replace it with the same or better quality zipper. Any competent tailor can stitch that on securely without a concern.
Co-sign. A zipper repair should be simple. Plus, finding suiter (i.e., with hanger) carry-on bags is getting more and more difficult because people aren't wearing suits nearly as much. For instance, the current version of my Briggs & RIley carry-on that's on the market has no suiter compartment. Thus, I will be trying to keep my decade-old B&R carry-on going as long as humanly possible . . .

peseta

mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:40 am

I am about to retire from my role as a traveling consultant (class of 2019). I have almost completed my second million flight miles. I highly recommend the Briggs and Riley Baseline, two wheeled carry ons. They are available in both domestic carry on (22-14-9), and international carry on (21-15-9) sizes. Both models include a removable, built-in suiter, and compression panels. I purchased my first one in 1998 and used it for 7+ years and one million flight miles. When one of its handles broke, I sent it to Briggs and Riley to be repaired under their lifetime warranty. They could not repair it to their satisfaction, so they gave me the full price I paid in 1998 toward a replacement model, which I purchased and have been using for the last 8 years. They are expensive, but work well. I use the built-in suiter weekly to carry my dress shirts. Good luck and happy travels.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:53 am

Check out the TravelPro Crew 11 Rollaboard 22" Suiter. They also have a 21" 4-wheel spinner version.

-B

shawcroft

Post by shawcroft » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 am

This is a great discussion thread. We were on an international trip last year which combined both US and International carriers. We ran into the slightly shorter international carry-on drama mentioned below- but was able to "sweet-talk" our way around it. Can't expect our luck in the matter to always work. Lesson learned
Mister A wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am
I would highly recommend the "international" size carry-ons, which are about an inch shorter to accommodate overhead bins on non-U.S. carriers.

We need to replace at least one carry-on because of wear and will definitely keep that experience in mind. And- as also suggested- I will start out with looking at what Costco has to offer.
Shawcroft

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:01 pm

I have had really good luck with Travelpro. Easy to check them out on Amazon. I also prefer the roller board (2 back wheels) over the spinner style (4 wheels). I find them easier to handle a 2 less wheels to break.

Trism

Post by Trism » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 pm

dh wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm
Hello Bogleheads,

Sadly my 20 year old roller bag (that was always an acceptable carry on) has a broken zipper. I don't trust having the zipper repaired (should I?). I would love to purchase a brand new version of the same bag, but it no longer exists.

Would any of you recommend a great roller bag within the max size: 22" long x 14" wide x 9" tall (56 x 35 x 23 cm)
? Would anyone recommend fixing the zipper given that the old bag I have is amazing, or is that too risky/complicated?

I have looked, yet no bags I have found include a hook inside to hang shirts to keep them wrinkle free. That was one feature of my old bag that I loved. I know this is an unusual request, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
This Tumi has a hanger and a folding bag for shirts inside.

https://www.tumi.com/p/continental-dual ... 171771041/

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:35 pm

Trism wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:25 pm
dh wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:05 pm
Hello Bogleheads,

This Tumi has a hanger and a folding bag for shirts inside.

https://www.tumi.com/p/continental-dual ... 171771041/
Yikes and did you see the list price? $1600! :shock:

Have you considered something like this? It is meant as a separate garment bag. I have one and while it does fit inside my rollaboard (I store it there) it takes up a lot of space.

My first stop would be to check independent shoe rapair places that advertise luggage repair. Is the broken zipper one that has hasps for a luggage lock? That could be a sticking point. The other issue is whether they can get access to replace the zipper without deconstructing the bag!

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:42 pm

I would not repair a 20 year old luggage. The other parts might be falling apart soon.

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:06 pm

Mister A wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:52 am
These avoid the drama that comes with finding out the space is not as advertised and your bag is half an inch too large once you've already boarded U.S. flights.
Ahem... you mean the drama that comes with every single luggage manufacturer lying about their bags' dimensions? The airline requirements are all inclusive of wheels, handles, etc. The manufacturers refuse to list the correct dimensions because they want their bag to have a larger advertised interior capacity to make their customers to feel like they get more value out of the bag than a competitor's. Unfortunately, that means they're lying about the size of the bags.

A few years ago there was a brief push toward a standard approval system that would guarantee you could keep your bag on the flight with you if it was certified as being within a set of standard dimensions. I really wish the airlines had stuck to that effort instead of caving after a couple months.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:23 pm

123 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:01 pm
Replacing the (maybe) 30 inch zipper cost $45 (!!!) at a local HCOL alterations place. <snip> They can tell you whether replacing the zipper is feasible and expected cost. Or you might try a shoe repair shop if you've got one of those around.
Just chiming in on this, who someone who dabbles in alterations (as part of a skills-based volunteering opportunity) Zippers have the potential to be horribly difficult to replace. Most of the times zippers can't be 'repaired', they need to be replaced. It's generally not a fun and easy job and is pretty laborious. $45 for a jacket sounds fair, especially if there were any other closures adjacent (button/snap/velcro)

I don't think all is lost on the bag though, definitely take it to a local professional and at least see what they say. I have a favorite ski jacket and the zipper failed - it was definitely beyond my skillset to replace, so I took it to a trusted alterations friend. She confirmed that no way it was not even worth her time.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

TexasPE

Post by TexasPE » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Tumi and other quality luggage is available on ebay at 20-25% of retail.

For example, the $1600 list price Tumi bag is offered for $450 obo. Last year I purchased a like-new tri-fold Tumi carry-on at 25% of list price.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:52 pm

mlcolorado wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:40 am
I am about to retire from my role as a traveling consultant (class of 2019). I have almost completed my second million flight miles. I highly recommend the Briggs and Riley Baseline, two wheeled carry ons. They are available in both domestic carry on (22-14-9), and international carry on (21-15-9) sizes. Both models include a removable, built-in suiter, and compression panels. I purchased my first one in 1998 and used it for 7+ years and one million flight miles. When one of its handles broke, I sent it to Briggs and Riley to be repaired under their lifetime warranty. They could not repair it to their satisfaction, so they gave me the full price I paid in 1998 toward a replacement model, which I purchased and have been using for the last 8 years. They are expensive, but work well. I use the built-in suiter weekly to carry my dress shirts. Good luck and happy travels.
+1 on the Briggs and Riley. My bag is going on 11 years old and (somehow) looks nearly brand new. I too use the built in suiter weekly and it leaves my dress shirts nearly wrinkle free. I sometimes think about buying the international size, but I can't justify the expense when the current suitcase works great.

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:11 pm

steadyeddie8 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:25 pm
https://www.awaytravel.com/luggage/carr ... rLEALw_wcB

I have heard Away is supposed to be a new gold standard.
+1

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:22 pm

If the bag wasn’t so old, I’d get it fixed. Luggage repairs aren’t that expensive. But my experience with a 20 year old Travelpro that I dearly loved was that once things started breaking, a lot of other things broke soon after.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:26 pm

lots of info here - https://thewirecutter.com/travel/luggage/

As for the repair, I had the wheels replaced on a fairly expensive piece about 5 years ago. They did a good job & at a fair price.
https://www.irvsluggage.com/luggage-repair/
They could probably give you an estimate based on a photo.
If it is just a matter of sewing in a new zipper, then a local shoe repair store might be cheaper.