Why do you live where you live?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Incendiary

Re: Why do you live where you live?

Post by Incendiary » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 am

Diversity in people (every race, religion, etc), good ethnic food of all stripes, strong public school education, all four seasons, moderately high but not crazy high COL, access to arts and culture and every major pro sports league within 30 minutes as the crow flies (usually more with traffic).

Is there anywhere else in the US that offers all of these?

22twain

Post by 22twain » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am

Incendiary wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:17 am
Besides where? :wink:
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am

carol-brennan wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:14 am
StandingRock wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:47 pm
I live where I live 100% so I can make enough money to live where I want.
That's mostly my approach, too.

I will add that my plan to maximize the savings and investments that I can reap from my location and job includes simultaneously saying "no" to most of the things that suck up people's after-tax income: family, children, expensive house, car loans, etc.

Some of these sacrifices are tough; others are not. Lumped altogether, I call it "discipline," and it's much, much harder to achieve than to say.

I believe that it's been much, much harder for members of my generation (and the younger generations today) to have the same kind of lifestyle that our parents did while securing our futures. The lifestyle includes kids, house, and one earner. That kind of life puts a huge strain today on even two-income high earners. The only way out, from my point of view, was to recognize that the game has changed and to start saying no to what the previous generation took for granted.

Clearly I'm not alone. The birthrate is down and continuing to drop. People are saying no marriages, houses, and cars like never before.
I don't know, I think it's more about tradeoffs really. I see a lot of people these days who just don't compromise on anything whether it be their house or their car or vacations or whatever. They just get whatever they want at the time and hope they can keep up with the payments. I can promise you that my parents didn't do that.

But anyway back to the topic, I moved to my current location for a 40% increase in pay. If I stayed in the area I was in before that was not going to be possible. I know several people at my former company who are unhappy and want to leave but that area they're in just doesn't have that many opportunities. So they have gotten stuck in place.

flyingaway

Post by flyingaway » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 am

I am in the middle of nowhere. First came here for the job 21 years ago. Now we have established social and friend networks that my wife does not want to leave behind.
I would rather be in a tropical island whit lots of sunshine. Unfortunately, they don't usually have the jobs that are suitable for me to make a living.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:43 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:46 pm
I was wondering why people choose to live where they live?
I'm not sure I chose. Both my parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great grandparents, 16 great great grandparents and 30 of 32 great great great grandparents spent their lives and died in the state where I now live. The 2 great great great grandparents that aren't buried in the state lived and are buried about 100 feet south of the border.

I spent five years living in another state when I graduated college but came back due to something calling me and I have lived here ever since. I have traveled extensively to just about every state in the union and many countries but there just doesn't seem to be any other place like my home state.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:19 am

I was born in Vero Beach, FL, and headed west to seek education and access to better jobs. Vero only had a community college. As well there weren't many high paying jobs available, and I sure didn't want to work in my father's citrus groves. Majority of my cousins no longer live in Vero either, they scattered all over, seeking higher education and a better job opportunity.

After settling on Florida's west coast in Tampa, DW and I built a pretty comfortable life together. After earning a two-year technical degree, I hired on with MegaCorp. MegaCorp paid the majority of my undergraduate and graduate degrees, and provided a good salary. We raised our family, no longer live in Tampa, but nearby. Daughters all live in the general area, so that is very nice. Having family nearby is priceless, especially as DW and I age.

The nice thing about the Tampa Bay area is one does not have to go elsewhere to find a good job. The bad thing is like any other large metro area, traffic. Being retired, traffic doesn't bother us, as we aren't trying to get to a job every morning.

There are plenty of things to do, so no need to travel far for entertainment, nature access, beaches, etc. Several universities (public and private), community colleges, a few diploma mills :x . Everything we need or want (save cooler weather in summer months) readily available.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am

22twain wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 am
Incendiary wrote:
Besides where? :wink:
Can you think of one or more places that fit the bill? ;)

I forgot to mention these two because I feel like they are baked into the description above, but also plenty of other people of education and means and German car dealers nearby.

When the kids are out of the house, we will probably still want most all of the above, but would be willing to lose seasonal variation and strong public schools in favor of no state inheritance or estate tax.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am

BUBear29 wrote:
Hi Bogleheads,

I am from Texas, live in Texas now (Southlake (Dallas area). I used to live in Denver for a period of time /and absolutely loved it. I really enjoy Southlake as I now have a young daughter and one more on the way (April). Recently I find myself asking why I am where I am. I love Denver and Colorado and always dreamed of living there, but I moved back to TX a few years ago for a job promo (could move back to Denver almost anytime and keep the same job).

Southlake has the best schools in TX (arguably) and is a wondeful place to live for families, but at what point do you do what you want to do (live where you want to live) vs do what is “prudent”.

I have been asking myself this question across many areas of my life lately, and I am curious of other BH’s thoughts.

Thanks
Salt Lake area.

Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Low humidity. All four seasons. Big airport close by to go anywhere. Reasonable state taxes. No state estate/inheritance tax. Good 529. Low penetration of corporate medicine.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:37 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:31 am

Salt Lake area.

Lots of outdoor stuff to do. Low humidity. All four seasons. Big airport close by to go anywhere. Reasonable state taxes. No state estate/inheritance tax. Good 529. Low penetration of corporate medicine.
Nice area, lots of family there. Maybe the most well run city in the country, other cities should learn from SLC.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:52 am

Inertia.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:53 am

I grew up in Houston and wanted nothing more than to get the heck out when I was in high school. I did, and spent time in Colorado, Washington D.C., and New York. I'm glad I went away, but I'm also glad to be back.

For me, family is by far the most important point. It becomes bigger when you have kids. Being able to call my sister who is 10 minutes away when we need emergency child care is priceless. It also eliminates travel headaches during holidays, etc. Ultimately, I think most people end up living where their family lives eventually.

Secondary benefits are good ratio of jobs to cost of living, mild winters, and a dynamic and diverse city. Downers are oppressive summers and a lack of good outdoors activities if your interests lean towards hiking/skiing/mountain biking, climbing (as mine do).

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:09 pm

BUBear29 wrote:
By definition, everyone lives where they live.

At the moment, we are living where we could afford to live that was close enough to where we wanted to work and close to family. We drove to work, drove to nearby cities and outdoor attractions, raised our children there and recently retired there. It was a great house, and a great location for us.

Seven years ago, we purchased a second home on the beach, a little over an hour's drive, and two states, from our primary residence. We have used it for weekends and vacations since.

We have just sold our primary residence and will be moving to our beach home full time next month. Life is good.
Don't be a lemming.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:21 pm

I live where I live for a number of reasons.
#1 My wife and I both have decent paying jobs here.
#1.5 Family close by
#2 I like the size of the city. 15 mile drive to downtown take 20-25 minutes.
#3 Low cost of living
#4 Not a risk taker. I know what I'm getting here.
#5 For entertainment, everything I do in larger cities I can do here just at a different levels. If you are bored here, you're probably just a boring person.

With all of this said, the weather this winter has been so depressing and when it comes to retirement, I have no urge to live here.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Many parallels to Rus in Urbe. I also in Upstate NY but a couple hours to the east. My comments in purple.
Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm
Well, I'll play. SYRACUSE, NY
Schenectady-Albany-Troy-Saratoga Springs = Capital District of NY
I moved here from Manhattan (which we also loved) because I was recruited for a job.
We moved here from Cambridge MA because DH was recruited for a job. We loved Cambridge in many ways but wanted less pollution, less congestion, lower cost of living, more nature in our lives. We found all that and more here!
But I think, implied in your question is why are you still living where you live?
After fifteen years, we decided to remain in this town when retirement starts (Dec), because:
Husband died after 25 years here and I could live anywhere but decided to stay put
1. It must be said: we love snow. We get a lot of it. Snowshoeing.
Snow is beautiful but I could do without the treacherous driving and walking.
2. LCOL area---one of the lowest cost housing markets in the nation, great historic homes cheap.
Ditto! I have a gorgeous home with beautiful natural surroundings and a historic legacy builder
3. Summer=70F days, green and cool, never have to water the lawn.
Summers are awesome
4. See above, we're gardeners, fabulous climate for gardening.
I have a purple thumb but have a wonderful landscape designer and beautiful sustainable landscape
5. Small town, several universities, very interesting people.
Ditto to the small town feel, a bunch of colleges and universities, interesting people and cultural events
6. Medical care & doctors are excellent; several nationally-rated hospitals.
Good medical care & docs here. Also not that far to Boston or NYC for complicated stuff
7. Progressive politics (see #5).
Ditto
8. Nice art museums & galleries; history & science museums; nearby towns with other options.
Ditto
9. Great food: restaurants, Wegman's, largest farmer's market in the state.
No Wegman´s unfortunately :annoyed but otherwise great restaurants and nice farmers markets
10. Stone's throw from the Finger Lakes Wine District for jaunts.
Stone´s throw to the Adirondacks and Saratoga Springs
11. Four hour drive to Manhattan; or by train; also Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal.
Three hours to Manhattan or Boston, four to Montreal
12. Perfect airport; large enough, small enough.
Airport is a ten minute drive from my home, convenient and functional
13. Summer world-class opera company nearby; great theater hereabouts.
Lots of great community theater and we are probably same distance to Glimmerglass opera as Rus in Urbe in Syracuse
14. Fall is simply glorious.
Ditto!
15. Wonderful Zen Center.
similarly awesome centers here
16. 15-20 minute drive to five parks for hiking/snowshoeing/swimming.
I am a ten minute walk from several nature preserves!
17. Nearby dozens of upstate weekend destinations for side trips.
Ditto!
18. Great people. Love the community.
Ditto! But it would be good to have critical mass of Bogleheads for a chapter that would meet regularly!

This is ALSO a rustbelt town with poverty and many challenges; we are happy to be part of the solutions.
Unfortunately ditto to the poverty and challenges but also good to try to be part of the solution
Our Town. :D You should love where you live. Or you should move.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Friends, family, familiarity. The weather, politics, taxes, debt levels, etc. are horrible. There are good jobs and it is a pretty great city in terms of things to do though with a reasonable COL.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:34 pm

I went to college here, taught high school here, went to grad school here, then got a job here. I stay here because it's close to family, I like all four seasons and it's a relatively low cost of living area. My wife (whom I met here) and I make good money so we're able to save 25-30% of our salaries. I get to travel for work so I'm seeing more places than I ever thought I would imagine all without having to pay for it myself! I'm hoping to retire in my mid-50s, so in 15-17 years, then do whatever I want for the rest of my life.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:36 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:27 pm
Many parallels to Rus in Urbe. I also in Upstate NY but a couple hours to the east. My comments in purple.
Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm
Well, I'll play. SYRACUSE, NY
Schenectady-Albany-Troy-Saratoga Springs = Capital District of NY
I moved here from Manhattan (which we also loved) because I was recruited for a job.
We moved here from Cambridge MA because DH was recruited for a job. We loved Cambridge in many ways but wanted less pollution, less congestion, lower cost of living, more nature in our lives. We found all that and more here!
But I think, implied in your question is why are you still living where you live?
After fifteen years, we decided to remain in this town when retirement starts (Dec), because:
Husband died after 25 years here and I could live anywhere but decided to stay put
1. It must be said: we love snow. We get a lot of it. Snowshoeing.
Snow is beautiful but I could do without the treacherous driving and walking.
2. LCOL area---one of the lowest cost housing markets in the nation, great historic homes cheap.
Ditto! I have a gorgeous home with beautiful natural surroundings and a historic legacy builder
3. Summer=70F days, green and cool, never have to water the lawn.
Summers are awesome
4. See above, we're gardeners, fabulous climate for gardening.
I have a purple thumb but have a wonderful landscape designer and beautiful sustainable landscape
5. Small town, several universities, very interesting people.
Ditto to the small town feel, a bunch of colleges and universities, interesting people and cultural events
6. Medical care & doctors are excellent; several nationally-rated hospitals.
Good medical care & docs here. Also not that far to Boston or NYC for complicated stuff
7. Progressive politics (see #5).
Ditto
8. Nice art museums & galleries; history & science museums; nearby towns with other options.
Ditto
9. Great food: restaurants, Wegman's, largest farmer's market in the state.
No Wegman´s unfortunately :annoyed but otherwise great restaurants and nice farmers markets
10. Stone's throw from the Finger Lakes Wine District for jaunts.
Stone´s throw to the Adirondacks and Saratoga Springs
11. Four hour drive to Manhattan; or by train; also Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal.
Three hours to Manhattan or Boston, four to Montreal
12. Perfect airport; large enough, small enough.
Airport is a ten minute drive from my home, convenient and functional
13. Summer world-class opera company nearby; great theater hereabouts.
Lots of great community theater and we are probably same distance to Glimmerglass opera as Rus in Urbe in Syracuse
14. Fall is simply glorious.
Ditto!
15. Wonderful Zen Center.
similarly awesome centers here
16. 15-20 minute drive to five parks for hiking/snowshoeing/swimming.
I am a ten minute walk from several nature preserves!
17. Nearby dozens of upstate weekend destinations for side trips.
Ditto!
18. Great people. Love the community.
Ditto! But it would be good to have critical mass of Bogleheads for a chapter that would meet regularly!

This is ALSO a rustbelt town with poverty and many challenges; we are happy to be part of the solutions.
Unfortunately ditto to the poverty and challenges but also good to try to be part of the solution
Our Town. :D You should love where you live. Or you should move.
I love upstate NY! If I could (a) do my current job up there and (b) get my wife to agree to move there, I would strongly consider it.

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:36 pm

Funny - for the Syracuse lovers, I agree - it was a great place. Spent four years there in my medical residency training. My wife and I often wonder if we should have left... Moved halfway back to the Berkshires of western MA to be close, but not too close, to family in both Boston and NH. Nice place, but now feels small after 14 years. We have stayed for the kids in school, but soon it will be time to move on, I think. But we do have friends that are as close or closer than family. That is what keeps us where we are. That and great mountain views from our house, privacy, college town culture (good and bad), etc

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:58 pm

Hilton Head Island. Four minute walk from the beach. Nice people. Gated community. Most expensive house we’ve ever had. Embarrassingly cheap taxes. Mild winters. Lots of restaurants. Plenty of live theater. Can do without the pollen and the hot, humid summers.

Previously lived in DC and NoVa for thirty years, which I not miss. Do miss Madison WI, especially the summers but not the winters, where we spent the 10 years before we moved to HHI. We’re thinking of spending a month there this summer.

So, in my 60s and 70s I’ve gotten two of the things I always wanted: to work for a university and to live at the beach.

Sometimes your life is better in the telling then in the doing but mine’s been OK.
Last edited by Old Guy on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carol-brennan

Post by carol-brennan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:01 pm

I live too often on the internet because my job is boring and I'm waiting for my life to begin.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Moved a few years ago to where I live now simply for new experiences before the opportunity passed us by. Sought out a new job in a new city 800 miles from the prior place and made it happen. I never particularly wanted to live anywhere, but it felt like staying put in our prior residence simply because we were already there was not a compelling reason to stay.

Now I get to wake up to a view of (usually) snow-capped mountains every day and look forward to new adventures every day off.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Incendiary wrote:
Diversity in people (every race, religion, etc), good ethnic food of all stripes, strong public school education, all four seasons, moderately high but not crazy high COL, access to arts and culture and every major pro sports league within 30 minutes as the crow flies (usually more with traffic).

Most major US cities and or the suburbs of the cities offer these...

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm

We live in North Texas because my parents and several other family are very close by, which helps with our young children. I've actually never left: born, raised, college-educated here. We have a fantastic community of friends and a great Church environment as well. We have world-class healthcare (never really considered this until family in smaller cities started having issues) and abundant travel options. The education system up through university is very good, plenty of artsy-fartsy stuff, cuisine, and there is a strong family friendly environment. Oh, I've also got a good job that supports my family. (The climate and allergies suck, and I'm actually a beach-loving person by nature so we do have to visit the Gulf Coast at least once a year to appease me. We could perhaps one day make a move to a more low-key beach lifestyle.)
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Silicon Slopes. Came here to go to school. Had no family within 500 miles of here. In fact, I don't think I had ever been to Utah in my life. Planned to leave when I finished school. But I met someone and we started dating. She didn't finish school until a couple years after me, so I stuck around. Then I went back to school. As it happens, there are a lot of job opportunities in my field (software development), so we decided to stay in the area. A number of my siblings ended up in this area as well - all software developers - so I'm no longer completely removed from my family. Though I hate the weather, the traffic, and the politically conservative nature. But the cost of living is decent (except housing), so it's not all bad.

Though I may never go back to live in my home state, because soon enough my youngest brother will start university and he wants to attend University of Utah for their Game Development program, and at that point, this area might become the new "hub" for my family. Especially since my wife's parents just moved here from Raleigh.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:37 pm

I grew up in the middle part of my state, moved to the eastern end of the state to take a job in 1980. I worked there for 36 years, then retired, and now have a paid-for home in the middle of five acres of woods that I love. Why mess that up?
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:46 pm

Colorado13 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Incendiary wrote:

Most major US cities and or the suburbs of the cities offer these...
My question was not rhetorical, so I'm glad you replied.

LA and SF suburbs are ruled out, as well as any city in the South due to the seasonal variation. NY and Boston too expensive. I think that basically leaves Chicago, DC, and Philadelphia?

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:50 pm

We live just outside of Boston.

I came here for work but stay for a lot of reasons:

- Fantastic job market (esp. software/high tech/bio/healthcare/finance)
- World class hospitals and healthcare + state health insurance regulations mean we get coverage for things we would not in other states
- World class universities
- Excellent public primary schools (certain towns/cities)
- State taxes (income + property) are actually moderate overall + a 45 minute drive to sales tax free NH
- Lots of culture/history/dining/entertainment in Boston and surrounding cities (Newport, NYC, etc)
- Within 1hr of the ocean and 3hr of the mountains
- Within a couple hours driving of both my and my wife's immediate family
- Political climate aligns to our views
- 4 seasons (we like winter sports and would get bored someplace like San Diego where there is only one season)

And if you are a sports fan I dont even need to mention how many titles this town has won in the last 20 years ;) Downside is everyone hates us for it.

The only major negative is the cost of living and traffic. But I work/live in the suburbs and avoid the worst of that.
Last edited by jharkin on Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jayhawk11

Post by Jayhawk11 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:53 pm

I live in DC because my wife and I (both attorneys) can be at the top of our professions in our respective subfields.

There are some nice parts - relatively mild winters, plenty to do, some decent airport options, educated folks. But they are more than outweighed by the apocalyptic traffic, horrible cost of living, and humid summers.

Would love to get out West some day... but gotta make hay while the sun is shining.

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Wow. 75 posts and, as best as I can tell, all US-based.

Time for a little international flavor.

On the Mediterranean (see “Location”——>). Outstanding blue flag beaches, the wine, the olive oil, the food, the balance of work with the enjoyment of life, the communitarianism, thee commitment to the environment, the culture, the museums, the symphonic and international music, the sunshine, the air quality, the lack of pronounced social inequality, afternoons at a good restaurant for a good two hours, and the best football/soccer on the planet.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:01 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Silicon Slopes. Came here to go to school. Had no family within 500 miles of here. In fact, I don't think I had ever been to Utah in my life. Planned to leave when I finished school. But I met someone and we started dating. She didn't finish school until a couple years after me, so I stuck around. Then I went back to school. As it happens, there are a lot of job opportunities in my field (software development), so we decided to stay in the area. A number of my siblings ended up in this area as well - all software developers - so I'm no longer completely removed from my family. Though I hate the weather, the traffic, and the politically conservative nature. But the cost of living is decent (except housing), so it's not all bad.

Though I may never go back to live in my home state, because soon enough my youngest brother will start university and he wants to attend University of Utah for their Game Development program, and at that point, this area might become the new "hub" for my family. Especially since my wife's parents just moved here from Raleigh.
It has also become the "hub" for my family. I originally moved to Utah (Silicon Slopes area) in '05 without knowing a soul, then left 2yrs later for school and returned in 2012. In the last 5yrs my mother, 3 of 4 sisters, and 1 of 2 brothers all moved here and all love it. Interestingly, I am the only one that is LDS. All of my wife's family is in Utah (originally from Bay Area), but have been progressively moving closer to us from the Logan area due to work (my wife or I have gotten most of them jobs).

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:02 pm

lws wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:43 pm
SoCal.
May I say more?
lol

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm
In the gentrifying urban core of San Diego. We left for a few years for career pursuits, but came back when I retired. We spent several months last year traveling the country. Went to 28 states. Talked to people, got a feeling for a lot of places. Then went home, happy with our decision to live where we live.
  • The weather. When we go someplace then come home, the weather is almost always better at home. Good weather for outdoor activities all the time.
  • The neighborhood. Jane Jacobs said that as neighborhoods gentrify, the people who lived in the neighborhood through the bad years become passionate advocates of the neighborhood. I know from experience this is true.
  • I can walk, bike, or scooter to nearly everything. I drove all of 2000 miles last year.
  • Amazing food within walking distance. Lots of it. Of all types.
  • Walking distance to Balboa Park, the Zoo and most of the museums in town.
  • Bike or a quick Lyft distance from downtown, the central library, shows, nightlife.
  • The airport, being downtown, is an $8 Lyft ride.
  • At parties, nobody asks me what I do for a living or where I work. They don’t care. The culture is not focused on work.
  • I know my neighbors and feel safe walking around at night.
  • My spiritual community is here.
  • My friends are all here.
"At parties, nobody asks me what I do for a living or where I work. They don’t care. The culture is not focused on work." I like that - very interesting!

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:13 pm

AerialWombat wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:04 pm
  • I prefer cool weather, and relocate seasonally to avoid summer heat.
  • I refuse to pay state income taxes, so choose appropriate states.
  • Very low cost of living means I can have a very high savings rate.
  • I prefer the presence of a college or military base for purposes of tenant availability for my rentals.
  • Mountains. Must have mountains.
  • I prefer the people and attitudes of the "Old West" portions of the US. I will never again live east of 102 deg W within the U.S.
"I prefer the people and attitudes of the "Old West" portions of the US. I will never again live east of 102 deg W within the U.S."

Can you elaborate further?

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Oakwood42 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:11 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:45 pm
In the gentrifying urban core of San Diego. We left for a few years for career pursuits, but came back when I retired. We spent several months last year traveling the country. Went to 28 states. Talked to people, got a feeling for a lot of places. Then went home, happy with our decision to live where we live.
  • The weather. When we go someplace then come home, the weather is almost always better at home. Good weather for outdoor activities all the time.
  • The neighborhood. Jane Jacobs said that as neighborhoods gentrify, the people who lived in the neighborhood through the bad years become passionate advocates of the neighborhood. I know from experience this is true.
  • I can walk, bike, or scooter to nearly everything. I drove all of 2000 miles last year.
  • Amazing food within walking distance. Lots of it. Of all types.
  • Walking distance to Balboa Park, the Zoo and most of the museums in town.
  • Bike or a quick Lyft distance from downtown, the central library, shows, nightlife.
  • The airport, being downtown, is an $8 Lyft ride.
  • At parties, nobody asks me what I do for a living or where I work. They don’t care. The culture is not focused on work.
  • I know my neighbors and feel safe walking around at night.
  • My spiritual community is here.
  • My friends are all here.
"At parties, nobody asks me what I do for a living or where I work. They don’t care. The culture is not focused on work." I like that - very interesting!
There are things to talk about besides work? :confused

Oakwood42

Post by Oakwood42 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Trader/Investor wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 pm
I lived here, there, and everywhere in my 20s - Louisville, Dayton, Cleveland, Rochester, and Santa Monica. Then from 1980 to 1996 I lived in a place that everyday I thought was heaven on earth - Reno NV. Snow capped Mount Rose always in sight and great hiking all around. I especially loved hiking in the Sawtooth range outside of Bridgeport CA. Then heaven turned into hell. And can you guess why? The gangs came in and it became nothing but drugs, graffiti, and lots of crime. Since then by mere happenstance I ended up living in a small farming community of 14,000 in south central KY - Glasgow.

Glasgow is by far hands down the absolute best place I have ever lived. Call me old fashioned but living here is like going back in time 40 years or more. Friendliest people I have ever encountered, family values like in the 50s, and you can walk the streets late into the night. Concerts during the summer on a picturesque town square. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek] All in all kind of like living in the fictional Mayberry. It also didn't hurt that much to my surprise I met the love of my life here. A good old fashioned soft and sweet woman - a rarity in this day and time.
awesome!

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Living in a town outside of New York City, met a girl, wound up marrying her and moved to town she was living in.
Relative (miles may be short but traveling time can be long) proximity to NYC. Close to family.
Walkable Town with a center full of shops, restaurants. Lots of parks and activities for the kids. Good school system.
Folks from other towns move here for the schools, parks (not the taxes).
Good transportation network - close to bus and trains. Proximity to major airports and museums.

Downside - summers can be hot and humid. It seems to rain more often. Town population seems to dry up in summers, like there is no one around because they are all at their family vacation home. Makes it seem as we are the only ones without one. Taxes - if taxes were lower, it'd be a place to consider living in retirement, so long as you don't mind cold snowy weather (like this past weekend).
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:48 pm

I live in Houston because I work in O&G and this the place to be for that industry.

It helps that my family lives here as well. It's not really LCOL if you want to avoid commuting (inside or just outside the 610 loop) but it's manageable. It's incredibly diverse. The food and sports scenes are top notch. Arts/Culture scene is pretty good.

As has been mentioned the heat and humidity in the summer is brutal. Outdoor activities leave a lot to be desired.

Overall I'm a huge fan of the city and have no plans to move.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:58 pm

I've lived in many different places, from suburbs of Detroit to Paris and other places in Europe, to western Japan, to Hawaii and suburbs of Boston. Finally settled in Oregon just outside Portland. One big reason was that the housing and job markets were aligned so that I might be able to become a homeowner. I did. But I also really like the idea of being within easy driving distance of the ocean and mountains. Next month will be 29 years since I arrived.

But when anyone asks why I came here, I just say that I always wanted to live in a state that started with a vowel.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:02 pm

Twin Cities

Family
Friends
Parks
Four seasons
Interesting city and suburban communities
Education - opportunity to audit classes
Culture
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fly fisher

Post by fly fisher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

We live in beautiful Lewisburg, WV after living 20 years in Montana & 5 years in Oregon. We certainly enjoyed our time in Whitefish and Missoula, Montana, as well as Portland, Oregon. I was raised in Charleston, WV and five years ago family needs necessitated that we move back. One can't easily live 2k miles away from family for 25 years and then move back to the neighborhood. Lewisburg is just under two hours from Charleston, close enough, but not too close.

Reasons we love living in Lewisburg & the Greenbrier Valley, in no particular order:

1. Our home sits near an Appalachian ridgeline at an elevation of 2,400 ft (valley) to 4,000 ft. We don't experience much humidity, can go years where it never gets 90 degrees and the valley is very green.
2. The county is very rural with many large in-tact farms. I expect the number of Black Angus cattle outnumber the residents.
3. Lewisburg, with less than 4K people, includes a Carnegie Hall dating from 1910 which hosts a full calendar of concerts, the only full-time professional theater in WV, internationally recognized Smooth Ambler whiskey distillery, Greenbrier Brewery, a cider operation and the WV School of Osteopathic Medicine.
4. The 5 star Greenbrier Hotel and PGA course is within a 10 minute drive.
5. Outdoor recreation is abundant and uncrowded. We often bike the 80-mile Greenbrier rail to trail bike path, which runs along the Greenbrier River. The river is one of the longest undamned rivers in the Eastern US and supports a vibrant population of smallmouth bass.
6. Snowshoe ski resort, Cranberry Wilderness, the Monogahela, Jefferson and Washington National Forests are close by.
7. Lewisburg includes an active group of volunteers which support community activities.
8. Blacksburg, Lexington and Lynchburg, Virginia are within 1.5 hours or less. DC is less than 4 hours. Daily direct United flights to DC and Chicago.

We couldn't be happier in Lewisburg and we're done moving. We enjoyed our time in MT, but grew tired of the longer fire seasons and hotter summers, coupled with six months of winter.

dunkmachine

Post by dunkmachine » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:15 pm

In the Texas panhandle.

Here because the first job out of school. Location is not desirable, but the alternative is the Houston area which is less preferable. Love my 5 minute commute to work. I met my wife who also moved here out of school for work. After 10 years of working, we started a family and she quit to be a stay at home mom. My family is in Kansas and here family is in South Texas, so we're sort of splitting the difference between them. Enjoy my job and company, we are active in our church, and see no reason to leave.

Location is convenient in being equidistant to numerous hubs, like Oklahoma City, Dallas, Albuquerque, and Denver, and pretty close to the glorified truck stop of Amarillo for weekend jaunts. Can leave here when it's 100 degF in July and be in the mountains hiking and camping in Northern New Mexico with 60 degF weather in 5 hours.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm

LiterallyIronic wrote:

The care at the local emergency department is reason enough to stay.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:36 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm
LiterallyIronic wrote:

The care at the local emergency department is reason enough to stay.
Unbiased opinion?

3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:52 pm

We live in Honolulu County (Oahu) Hawaii because of my job (GS employee).

I've never lived anywhere more than 3 years since I was born except for college. Father was a career military officer, I was a career military officer.

Moving in 3 months to our forever home, more than ready to put down some roots.

wxz76

Post by wxz76 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:01 pm

Northern VA

Diversity
Job
Family

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Texas, born here, always hated it. I've moved away several times, but always get lured back. You can make a freakin' fortune while living pretty cheaply compared to most major areas. You pay for it via the lame weather and lame culture though.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:10 pm

As a kid, we moved a lot. Never more than two years in any place until we ended up in the St. Louis area when I was starting seventh grade. I had developed a real dislike of moving.

I started college in the local campus of the University of Missouri in the sciences. I then went into grad school. While there, I was recruited by a large defense company located there at the time. I worked there ever since, including a merger with MegaCorp.

I come from a large family, and most of my siblings also live in the area, so that is good.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:21 pm

I live in Bay Area because it's the best place in the world for my job, but also because is between mountains and ocean. In the most recent long weekend I took my kid and 2 of his friends hiking through the redwood forest to the top of the hill to see the view, on the beach to play with crabs, shrimps etc in the tidal pools and skiing. In the same weekend.
I lived on 2 continents and both coasts in US and I ended up in my town because is in between my job and my wife-s job. There are not many choices in between. This is the first place where I lived more than 5 years since I was 14.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Valparaiso, In. (NW Indiana).

Came here for a weekend visit in 1976 visiting college roommate and have been here full time since 1977.
1. My hometown in southern Illinois had nothing economically to offer at the time.
2. Since then, I have married and settled down. Remarried due to death of wife. Support of the community was great.
3. Schools - great.
4. Economics - strong.
5. Less than an hour to Chicago.
6. Low taxes compared to Chicago.
7. Very reasonable housing costs, plus house is paid off.
8. Now, we have 3 grandkids within 15 minutes.
9. Four season weather. Yes, it is cold....below zero this AM.
10. Plenty of rain...good growing season for gardening.
11. My work commute is 30 seconds to my home office.
12. Moving would be too much work.
13. Quiet neighborhood with very good neighbors.

Ed

prairieman

Post by prairieman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:01 pm

Upper Midwest:
I live about six miles from where I grew up. LCOL, family, lifetime friends, hiking and skiing trails right outside our front door, and a great health care system keep us here.
I love having four seasons, but winters could be shorter. After retirement we’ve been shortening winters by going somewhere warm in early spring.